• Mud Stompy

10 22.22%
  • Hypergenisis

1 2.22%
  • THIS IS SPAARTA (U/G madness)

11 24.44%
  • Other (leave a compent below)

4 8.89%

Thread: Which one would you play; Reanimator, This is Spaaarta, Hypergenesis, MUD, other?

Which one would you play; Reanimator, This is Spaaarta, Hypergenesis, MUD, other?

Hello!
    I'm looking into getting a new deck up and running; I got FoW's Wastelands and $$$ and someother small things, but I'd like to use my fows and wastelands (trying to stay below the 1k mark)

The things that matter to me is; The deck has to be FUN! and competative, like SnS is not fun to me, I'm sorry if you feel other ways but 2 creatures is not that fun imo. So if the deck is fun and competative I'm all for trying it.

If you choose the "other" option please leave the deck name (and list?) in the thread and possibly a reason for why you'd pick this one over the other. (this goes for all votes)

THIS IS SPAAAARTA (UGmadness):
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...p-(356-players)

Hypergenisis:
    http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...gpgnt12/day2#5

MUD stompy:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-NELC-with-MUD

The links are here just to give you a hint of what the decks look like.

Thanks alot!

Aug 2011
    Italy

Re: Which one would you play; Reanimator, This is Spaaarta, Hypergenesis, MUD, other?

Welcome R3xr0th,

I know it's played way too much but RUG Delver is a very fun deck to play and very customizable, plus it's a very strong deck. BUG control is another fun deck although I'm not sure how competitive it is currently.

Re: Which one would you play; Reanimator, This is Spaaarta, Hypergenesis, MUD, other?

Hypergenesis is probably one of the cheaper things you could get into. The lands that it uses are generally required for most common blue decks. The fatties aren't really that expensive, and Show and Tell is reusable. The gimmick cards are all very cheap. Add in that it's actually decent, and that's where I'd be going. I'm also of the mind that turn 1 Griselbrand and Emrakul is a good time. YRMV.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Problem with your deck choices,

Madness is a funny casual deck

Hypergenesis and MUD are incosistent. Hypergenesis has a high power level, but you are all-in without library manipulation with tons of clunk in the deck.

MUD Stompy is inconsistent as every other stompy deck...

Renimator is surely one of the top combo decks and you can win tournaments with it if you master it. However the decks effectiveness depends on how well people are prepared for it. So it is something that good players bring up and pack again depending on how much hate the face.

The advantage with Reanimator is that you can reuse a lot of the cards. Underground Seas, Fetches, Discard, Show&Tell in the SB,... are all good staples and can be used for many other good legacy decks like: Esperblade, Storm, Faries or some sort ot UB(x) tempo deck. So with this staples and Entomb you can be sure to get value for your money and keep that value.

The MUD Manabase and lock pieces are also a secure investment, but the reusability in other decks is a lot more limited.

My advice: I started playing magic late and spent a fortune on legacy. But once you and your friends aquired a big card pool it is a lot of fun to have different options on a weekly basis.
    Currently playing: Elves

I might add that I've played Rug, Counter balance, stiflenaught, reanimator, merfolk (still got this deck)

But I got out of magic because of some personal choices like 7-8 monthes ago:) But the temptaion of playing again was to high!

And thank you for the welcomeing words!

Quote Originally Posted by catmint View Post
    Problem with your deck choices,

Madness is a funny casual deck

Hypergenesis and MUD are incosistent. Hypergenesis has a high power level, but you are all-in without library manipulation with tons of clunk in the deck.

MUD Stompy is inconsistent as every other stompy deck...

Renimator is surely one of the top combo decks and you can win tournaments with it if you master it. However the decks effectiveness depends on how well people are prepared for it. So it is something that good players bring up and pack again depending on how much hate the face.

The advantage with Reanimator is that you can reuse a lot of the cards. Underground Seas, Fetches, Discard, Show&Tell in the SB,... are all good staples and can be used for many other good legacy decks like: Esperblade, Storm, Faries or some sort ot UB(x) tempo deck. So with this staples and Entomb you can be sure to get value for your money and keep that value.

The MUD Manabase and lock pieces are also a secure investment, but the reusability in other decks is a lot more limited.

My advice: I started playing magic late and spent a fortune on legacy. But once you and your friends aquired a big card pool it is a lot of fun to have different options on a weekly basis.
    Hello, I would disagree with you on the "mud is inconistent" since I feel its all about know the deck, and mulling at the right time etc. I've tested the Madness deck on cockatrice; and it has been doing pretty decent; been beating SnS, Reanimator, Esper, Rug, dredge and lost to Burn, Slivers and merfolk... So I'm not quite set on it just being there for casual reasons (I will keep tesing and hopefully I will come up with a answer to this one)

So you'd invest in reanimator? (felt like your advice was abit vauge, atleast to me, maybe I didnt quite get it or something)

Aug 2010
    Wichita Falls, Tx

This poll just makes me remember how much I miss Survival.
    Current Decks with List:
    http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_s...sult.asp?MDA=1
    My Dream: The Dojo Comics and Games
    http://www.gofundme.com/g754rg

Aug 2011
    Italy

I think, from a monetary "getting into" point of view there are a number of deck groups (or pillar so to speak) you can "invest in". I would say there are the Show and Tell decks (Sneak and Show, Omniscience, Hive Mind, Reanimator), LED decks (all kinds of Storm decks and Dredge), UW decks (Tundras, Jace, Snapcaster, Vendilion, FoW, Wasteland, blue Fetches which are all interplayable between anything UWx), Tarmogoyf decks (BUG control, Team America, RUG delver), Savannah decks (starting with Maverick you can add blue and go into Bant) and the rest are mostly decks with archetype specific cards.

For the decks with archetype specific cards (which are mostly tier 2 and lower) I wouldn't recommend buying into unless you really really like the deck and would play it even if it's not well positioned. If you have majority of the cards it's OK but otherwise you might be stuck with a mediocre deck that you semi-enjoy and find yourself wanting more.

Also, when you are planning on a single deck to spend a lot of time with make sure that it's not something which can be hated out easily or kind of auto-loses to a popular deck. Reanimator for instance is an easily hateable deck and you might find it very boring to face incredible amounts of hate in every match which makes playing a miserable experience. I wouldn't really invest in Reanimator straight up. Invest in a "pillar" you think is fun.

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

I think we need to know more about what you play against. I picked up storm combo recently and I absolutely love it. Probably ruined me for any other archtype; except perhaps MUD.
    If you dont face too much blue or terminus then I would recommend MUD because the deck is nuts. Very skill intensive even without library manipulation. It boasts a broad arsenal and is able to win handily against most decks in the format, although it does suffer against heavy countermagic and terminus in particular. Mono brown would be my preference fwiw with full chalice and 3 trinisphere main. I dont care who you are thats scary. Plus it can maindeck some nasty answers to show and tell which is pretty cool. Thats my vote.

I'd play MUD. The build you linked has been doing quite well as it's just super awesome to play.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I'll be biased and say MUD. The colorless is actually doing well with the current meta and you can alway go for style points using the Welder build for tricks.

Also, you can do an 'achievement unlocked' list for MUD. Overkill (Kill your opponent using normal damage and another means to win the game [in MUD's case - poison counters]) and Total Lockdown (make your opponent not play a spell throughout the game, which you can achieve with Chalice/Trinisphere/Lodestone Golem/Wasteland/Trinisphere) could be one of them.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Thread Information