Thread: Discard EVERY Turn!

Discard EVERY Turn!

Hi all.

I had fun with the Arcane Denial Thread - maybe we could try it with another budget card that no one really seems to play ?

Bottomless Pit.

I love this card in MP, and in casual discard decks.
    In casual decks this card can come out first turn, and it's similar to Necrogen Mists except for that random bit of text.

But is it anywhere near getting into any Legacy Decks?

Aug 2007
    California

Re: Discard EVERY Turn!

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Hi all.

I had fun with the Arcane Denial Thread - maybe we could try it with another budget card that no one really seems to play ?

Bottomless Pit.

I love this card in MP, and in casual discard decks.
    In casual decks this card can come out first turn, and it's similar to Necrogen Mists except for that random bit of text.

But is it anywhere near getting into any Legacy Decks?
    It's almost always worse than Liliana of the Veil. Liliana is only worse in that she's easier to remove, but she also has 2 other abilities. I don't think there's any decks out there that would play this over Liliana.

May 2011
    Somewhere around earth.

I don't think it's going to make much of a splash in legacy, for one, double-black costs are pretty rough, even hymn to tauroch doesn't really see much play, and it's one of the best disruption spells black has.

There is also the problem of you needing to discard a card at random... you disrupt your own hand pretty badly with this, so you need to have brainstorm(to protect cards from it) or at a minimum, divining top(to fix your draws) to make sure it doesn't actually hurt you too badly.

Not to mention, your opponent using brainstorm makes this weaker too, since now, instead of shuffling away their bad cards by cracking a fetch, they just keep them in hand, while the best cards stay safe on top of their deck, to protect them from the random discard effect.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

The random part is the killer for that one. I tried playing that card a few times in aggressive decks that can dump their hand quickly and abuse it from there. You end up dumping things you don't want to occasionally. It's luck based in a way and that can suck on your end.

It's pretty devastating to a control deck of course.

Though, I have to say the above posters are correct, you can just play Liliana instead. She doubles as removal which is a huge bonus making her by far the more versatile of the two. I don't think I'd even bother keeping that card in my collection anymore. It's outclassed hard.

I tend to think Necrogen Mists would be a better fit with the easier CC and since you can use that to dump your own dredgers into the GY more easily, and such... Black does have a good number of cards that are strong from the GY.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I tend to think Necrogen Mists would be a better fit with the easier CC and since you can use that to dump your own dredgers into the GY more easily, and such... Black does have a good number of cards that are strong from the GY.
    This is kinda my thought too, although Necrogen Mists helps certain decks that like to be able to choose what we pitch to the GY.

I agree with pretty much everything said, although I do believe a continuous discard engine that is difficult to remove without certain colours is a nice thing for black to have for casual decks, would a BB cost for this effect be overpowered?

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Bottomless Pit at BB would probably become playable. That's a nice overly disruptive effect for 2.

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    Bottomless Pit at BB would probably become playable. That's a nice overly disruptive effect for 2.
    I reckon I'd find a way to play it....

I built a solid, creature-less discard deck around this card. It included Ensnaring Bridge, Infernal Tutor, The Rack and The Abyss. I played it in one tournament and would have done better had I included any anti-planeswalker cards in my sideboard (because JTMS doesn't care about The Abyss).

Discard has a real opportunity to make a splash right now with all the combo and tempo decks in the meta.

May 2007
    Rochester

Add Punishing Fires to the deck, can get back with grove and can deal with planeswalkers!

Your Friend
    Apr 2011
    Minnesota

Life from the Loam
    Raven's Crime
    Worm Harvest
    Grove of the Burnwillows
    Punishing Fire

Innocent Blood
    The Abyss
    Liliana

... if only we had blue for Intuition.
    Currently playing Manipulate Fates. Learn about the Magic Card Market.

Thread Information