Thread: Black Tide?

bruizar

Black Tide?

This is a call to all the brewers out there. Is it possible to make a mono-B or BG high tide deck? This is not meant to become a competitive deck, so that's why I made a thread in the community forum. A working version of this deck is probably comparable to nourishing lich, but we don't care.

These are the tools we have at our disposal:

Griselbrand (The black spiral tide, without the untaps but with the beats)
    Candelabra of Tawnos
    Early Harvest (Cheaper than turnabout, dissynergy with B.Muck)
    Bubbling Muck (High tide for black)
    Pernicious Deed (finally, a good card in the list besides Griselbrand)
    Tendrils of Agony (Hey, another good card! Gets there quicker than Brainfreeze)
    Dark Confidant / Ad Nauseam not a good plan, but we need some sort of draw/handsculpting.
    Scroll Rack - Ah, some sculpting!
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth / Cabal Coffers - It's so slow..
    Infernal Contract - Hello Meditate! Casting it twice means Griselbrand can only attack :D
    Regrowth (Helps storm and chain mana!)
    Gitaxian Probe (Because a storm deck is not a storm deck without blue cards).
    Cabal Therapy/Inquisition of Kozilek/THoughtseize (If we're playing with such an underpowered deck, we at least need a fighting chance.

So, we don't have brainstorms, ponders or preordains. That's pretty dramatic. How can we make a deck like this work? (As in, actually combo off consistently, not as in; expect it to be a tier deck).

If we splash blue, we do get those cards, and we also get show and tell, but that would remove the challenge of building the deck in the first place.

Why would you play with a crippled version of spiraltide (which is already hosed by Thalia and Teeg) when you can play other storm decks in black? Well, you don't, but this thread is merely meant as a challenge/puzzle for brewers like myself.

So, I ask the hivemind that is mtgthesource, how can we create this abomination that is black tide.

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

Re: Black Tide?

I think you could look at Squandered Resources and Cadaverous Bloom. Also I didn't see any Rituals effects in your list there.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Prismatic Omen? Turn all your basic lands into Swamps. Also, don't forget the Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, as well as Blanket of Night. Those would be essential in a non-blue deck with Early Harvest.

Also, don't forget the synergy between Cabal Therapy and Veteran Explorer.

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

If you use red instead of green, you get Past in Flames and your pick of the red rituals. Also gives you REB/Pyroblast in the board to augment your discard against blue, and Disorder to deal with hatebears.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    Man, why won't the Rock just go away? It doesn't even have any friends.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.

That's not my play, I'm just choosing to reveal it
    Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    This is not meant to become a competitive deck, so that's why I made a thread in the community forum.
    I'm think this is what you're looking for:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/f...d-Budget-Forum

Why play that over Blue tide?

A dedicated Black Tide deck probably doesn't have the tools to be competitive. If you want to go down this route, what about a UB shell with lots of USeas + Watery Graves to fuel both High Tide and Bubbling Muck in the same deck?

Something involving Reprocess -> Second Sunrise/Faith's Reward ->Bitter Ordeal would be cute, but probably can't get enough going to make it work.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Something involving Reprocess -> Second Sunrise/Faith's Reward ->Bitter Ordeal would be cute, but probably can't get enough going to make it work.
    The card you want there might be Squandered Resources rather than Reprocess, but that's moving away from the Black Tide idea.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Quote Originally Posted by Illissius View Post
    The card you want there might be Squandered Resources rather than Reprocess, but that's moving away from the Black Tide idea.
    Coupled with Natural Balance Squandered Resources looks nice with the Black Tide plan. Night's Whisper, Sign in Blood and Explore may help with the consistency problem.

This deck is insane! i've tried to build up an hybrid between spanish inquisition and spiral tide. Beside the frizzle component of the deck i founded that it was too much suicide, so i splashed white to have Angel's Grace that synegize with all the deck.

Like Tide the deck runs 16-18 lands and 8 protection maindeck - first difference between BlackTide and SI - and almost every accelerator we could run.

i found that running untappers is too slow for this deck and we don't have manipulation of blue, so untappers could be dead cards sometimes.

With this configuration you can go off on turn 4 with 70% winrate :D

The List
    Accelerators
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Bubbling Muck
    4 Rain of Filth
    Draw
    4 Infernal Contract
    4 Cruel Bargain
    3 Night's Whisper
    3 Sign in Blood
    Protection
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Unmask
    4 Angel's Grace
    Finish
    2 Tendrils of Agony
    Lands
    7 Swamp
    4 Scrubland
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains

Beside this, Ad Nauseam and Dark Confidant are option to evaluate but more expansive in life term.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

The problem with Bubbling Muck is Spell Pierce and Daze. I've tried to make builds like this. The best thing I could come up with dropped Bubbling Muck in the end.

However, give this a spin, its pretty cool.

VANT Storm:
    Business - 11
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Diabolic Intent
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony

Protection - 13
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Xantid Swarm
    2 Inquisition of Kozelik

Acceleration - 14
    4 Culling the Weak
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Cabal Ritual
    4 Veteran Explorer

Artifact mana - 11
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Chrome Mox

Land - 11
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Swamp
    3 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor

SB:
    4 Deathmark
    4 Surgical Extraction
    3 Empty the Warrens
    2 Badlands
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Xantid Swarm

Initially Bubbling Muck was supposed to work with Veteran Explorer since you are going to have more lands but Rain of Filth was straight up better. Its just a shell, we did some testing on the storm boards and Diabolic Intent is fucking fantastic for finding protection if you need it Ad Nauseam, acceleration, perpetuals, etc. whatever you need. Carpet of Flowers can go into the post-board. Its extremely undeveloped but it performs well and can have extremely explosive hands. Its kinda inbetween ANT and TNT in terms of speed but the perpetual mana sources and basics help it play well against Tempo decks. Also, ETW comes in to completely wreck Tempo decks. It plays VERY well against slow control decks. 9 maindeck protection puts it on par with ANT and TES for maindeck protection but it also runs Probe to see if the cost is clear. Therapy + Probe is completely brutal.

Here was the original list if you still want to try Bubbling Muck.

B/G/r BAT

Business - 11
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Diabolic Intent
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Tendrils of Agony

Acceleration - 20
    4 Bubbling Muck
    4 Culling the Weak
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

Protection - 8
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Xantid Swarm
    1 Autumn's Veil

Artifact IMS - 8
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox

Land - 13
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Swamp
    4 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor

Post-board -
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Deathmark
    3 Drop of Honey
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Xantid Swarm
    2 Krosan Grip
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Dec 2011
    USA

I apologize if it sounds critical or mean, but as a pusher of Spiral Tide more so than any other deck for the format, I'd have to say the idea of a black tide is not something I would push myself, High tide alone is better on the fact that it's an instant, and the mono blue deck isn't weaker against opposing wastelands, I am also aware though that, we are all probably aware of that note >^,^< The issue I rarely ever have is not being able to cast enough high tides, so making bubbling muck in addition to would not really push it further.

In defense of it though, if you went up against someone and did underground sea's, polluted deltas, swamps & islands, then all of a sudden started doing things like bubbling muck & high tides, your opponent is in for a serious "omg wtf" moment ha ha
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Thread Information