Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nicol Bolas - how?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: Nicol Bolas - how?

You're welcome.

If I look at it again now, I see a small problem: white mana.
    Perhaps you could cut the Sigarda for a Thrun, so you never need WW.
    Next to that you could add a basic Plains to make it easier to hardcast Maelstrom Angel.
    It's pretty tough to support five colours...

Jul 2004
    Corning, NY

So run Cavern of Souls and name Angel. You can then force it through save your own protection for keeping the angel in play and yeah, it works decent. This does look like some fun.

So I tried playing with the Angel (goldfishing).
    It's cute, but not competitive.

To be honest, I'm thinking the best thing I could do is just pop Omniscience into the Dream Halls build as a 1 of, and then use that to make the most of conflux and Bolas. But if I'm playing Omni in there....Bolas is sooooo win-more.
    hmmmm......

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Not unexpected though.
    The problem is that you invest 8 mana in a slow way to win the game.
    You could also invest 5 mana and win on the spot (Ad Nauseam).
    Taking that into account, you know the chances of getting it to work on a competitive level are slim at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Not unexpected though.
    The problem is that you invest 8 mana in a slow way to win the game.
    You could also invest 5 mana and win on the spot (Ad Nauseam).
    Taking that into account, you know the chances of getting it to work on a competitive level are slim at best.
    Agree with this completely.
    I think the main problem with Bolas is that cards like Teeg just make it hard to use, if it was a creature the card would be close to an auto-include.
    The only time I can see Bolas useful is when he is the only option in hand with Dream Halls/Omniscience, and you just use it to control.
    I found it useful against Glacial Chasm-type effects or cards that prevent me targetting my opponent for the typical False Cure kill.
    ...and that's about it.

The biggest problem is that an opponent playing Show and Tell will always have something cool potentially, whereas I would need Bolas AND Omni/Halls in hand to make it a good play if I can't counter.
    For this reason alone I'm seriously thinking of making a deck based on Halls/Omni, SnT, Tutor and lots of filter/counter to try and make sure I always have some kind of threat in hand. Having a full playset of Bolas is something I may try with this, as well as some huge fatties of course, just to see how useful Bolas really can be......

Thread Information