Thread: SCD No Mercy

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

SCD No Mercy

I never saw it in legacy. I understand it is not good enough for black based control decks, since they struggle with life total and might not be able to "take the hits". However the card effect seems unique and good.

Did this card ever have a spot in the sunlight throughout the history of legacy?
    When did it fall out of favour?
    How could a deck today abuse this card the best way?
    Currently playing: Elves

Aug 2011
    Italy

Re: SCD No Mercy

I see it being used as a sideboard option against decks lke RUG with no option to alpha strike you. But I guess it loses its value quite quick when there's a single (or a couple) Knight of the Reliquary growing to full size for an alpha strike. That is unless you have a way to lock the game out before that happens.

bruizar

I think Meekstone does most of the things you want no mercy to do at just a single mana. Afaik No Mercy is an EDH staple. In Legacy, a card such as NIght of Soul's Betrayal or The Abyss is usually just better.

No Mercy is one of my fave black defensive cards for casual stuff, but it's a very mana-intensive card for it's effect. Wall of SOuls, Vengeful Pharaoh have similar effects.
    Dark Ritual, CUlling the Weak etc. are key to getting in play, but lots of players are just gonna attack you anyway depending on what their deck can do.

Humility maybe? It'll demand a pretty good manabase, but it's already got ways to abuse it better than No mercy I guess...
    Given the black mana, I'd rather run Caltrops and Deathpits of Rath! But thats' casual stuff obviously

Like they said - Meekstone sounds good, especially if you're running Sleep-style cards, as No Mercy will only ever delay your opponent and make creature beats harder to get through.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Like they said - Meekstone sounds good, especially if you're running Sleep-style cards, as No Mercy will only ever delay your opponent and make creature beats harder to get through.
    For what it's worth - Meekstone actually sounds good with cheap tappers like Goldmeadow Harrier.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

I thought this thread was about Snow Mercy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    For what it's worth - Meekstone actually sounds good with cheap tappers like Goldmeadow Harrier.
    I built that deck once, it's actually not half bad. It was all creatures with low power, SFM's to fetch Batterskull and Jitte's, Serra Avengers, it just tapped shit down and beat people with jitte counters / vigilance.

It honest to god works. You have maindeck thalia for combo etc.

No Mercy wasn't good in Standard at the time nor Extended. Monsters have gotten bigger and cheaper since then, doubt it'd be any better than a pretty in the binder.

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Thanks for the info. Had no idea it was never good. :)
    ...but yes, unique effects like this are fun for commander and casual play.
    Currently playing: Elves

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Forcefield!

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

No Mercy was a bomb in limited. It basically demanded you play black if you saw it.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information