Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Return to Ravnica Spoilers

Return to Ravnica Spoilers

So, we're getting a bunch of spoilers from the Duel Deck, as well as confirmation on Populate as the Selesnya mechanic courtesy of MTGS.

But the one card that caught my eye is Izzet Charm:

Izzet Charm

Instant
    Choose one - Spell Pierce; draw two, then discard two; or Shock a creature.

Will this see play? The card seems decently powerful for all three modes, even at two mana.

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

Re: Return to Ravnica Spoilers

Just saw the card as well, looks quite decent. Perhaps could be built into a delver/snapcaster grixis tempo shell, seems like it might be pretty powerful. Although it might be strictly worse than playing spell pierce/lightning bolt/instant speed careful study?

Grixis reanimator delver backup tempo plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

It's basically every utility you could ever want, but it costs twice as much as casting any of these cards individually. I don't think it's really worth it in legacy since you have so much card filtering already, you can usually find whatever you need. For example, compare it to counterspell, or fire//ice. I definitely want to play this in my standard deck though. I just have to choose if I want to run this, or lingering souls, or both.
    Last edited by Malchar; 08-27-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    So, we're getting a bunch of spoilers from the Duel Deck, as well as confirmation on Populate as the Selesnya mechanic courtesy of MTGS.

But the one card that caught my eye is Izzet Charm:

Izzet Charm

Instant
    Choose one - Spell Pierce; draw two, then discard two; or Shock a creature.

Will this see play? The card seems decently powerful for all three modes, even at two mana.
    Great Modern and Std card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Closest comparison is to Fire//Ice, and sticking a Spell Pierce in the mix is about as fucking good as a third option gets. On the other side, when people are playing Forked Bolt over Fire//Ice it suggests that the ability to take down two Maverick dorks at once, and to do it for only 1R when one of them is Thalia, is also really fucking important.

Non-Tendrils combo decks might like it more than "fair" decks. Two mana is steep, but a single card that can remove hate bears, fight counter wars, and dig (and drop Griselbrand in the graveyard)? Sounds pretty attractive for the eternal problem of siding in extra protection without slowing down your engine.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

I really fucking hope Delve comes back. Most likely in Dimir if it does. Scavenge seems only good in Limited.

That charm blows for Legacy, but I love it's just UR and not 1UR. I like the design patter of Izzet Charm that's going to recur with the other charms: have one ability that's clearly blue, one clearly red, and one that's a little bit of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    I really fucking hope Delve comes back. Most likely in Dimir if it does. Scavenge seems only good in Limited.

That charm blows for Legacy, but I love it's just UR and not 1UR. I like the design patter of Izzet Charm that's going to recur with the other charms: have one ability that's clearly blue, one clearly red, and one that's a little bit of both.
    All of the guilds get brand-new mechanics, according to MaRo.

Dreg Mangler
    1bg
    Creature - Plant Zombie Uncommon
    Haste
    Scavenge 3{B}{G}
    Illus. Peter Mohrbacher 3/3

This is why I liked the original Ravnica so much: just good creatures with interesting abilities. I'm a sucker for the "Watchwolves" of the MTG world so this is pretty cool. Might not be the greaterest card of all time in Legacy but it's certainly Constructed playable.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

Excited to see Life From the Loam in the Duel Deck!

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Dreg Mangler
    1bg
    Creature - Plant Zombie Uncommon
    Haste
    Scavenge 3{B}{G}
    Illus. Peter Mohrbacher 3/3

This is why I liked the original Ravnica so much: just good creatures with interesting abilities. I'm a sucker for the "Watchwolves" of the MTG world so this is pretty cool. Might not be the greaterest card of all time in Legacy but it's certainly Constructed playable.
    If there's some sort of BUG graveyard deck viable in Standard post-rotation, I'm playing it. This card looks pretty good for that: something like Splinterfright, this, Strangleroot Geist, Snapcaster...

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Having 3 relevant effects at 2cc looks extremely valuable for Standard and probably Modern as well. But if you look at Legacy... I don't think the Charm's utilities are up to par for a 2cc spell. When Legacy has cards like Brainstorm and Ponder, you don't really need a 2cc spell that does these things. The cantrips function for the same mana cost as these spells do but stuff like Ponder and Brainstorm have additional means of hand/library manipulation via Shuffle with Ponder and putting back 2 cards with Brainstorm. If you need a counterspell, find Spell Pierce/Daze/FoW, etc. Also, I think its relevant that the spell is only spot removal so it can be used as reach late in the game. I'd much rather play the full set of Bolts/Chains in UR Delver than something than play this. You have to cut something to play these cards and frankly its a bit underpowered to warrant cutting something for it. I don't think it will see play in something like UR Delver.

I have to say though, Nihil might be spot on about running it in SnT/Reanimator esque combo decks. Then again, if dropping Grizz/etc. in the yard is relevant, then that must mean the deck is in BUR, and I don't see too many Reanimator decks splashing for red. The charm can counter gravehate though, like Relic or Cage.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    I have to say though, Nihil might be spot on about running it in SnT/Reanimator esque combo decks. Then again, if dropping Grizz/etc. in the yard is relevant, then that must mean the deck is in BUR, and I don't see too many Reanimator decks splashing for red. The charm can counter gravehate though, like Relic or Cage.
    Something like Omniscience-Show or UR Painter might be interested in the Charm - it gives you both a protection and a dig slot from one card while also killing annoying utility dorks in games 2 and 3. The actual discard may be less relevant than the ability to convert a potentially dead counter into two better cards, and those decks should always have fodder to discard in the form of lands or redundant pieces.

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

I think Draw/Discard part of Charm requires more attention because it is instant. Careful Study/Faithless Looting cost one less mana, but Sorcery speed means a lot more time for your opponent to respond.
    Turn one Goblin Welder, turn 2 sitting on open mana.
    Removal? Charm!
    No removal? Charm EoT, Draw 2, discard a fattie, next turn robot!
    Since it needs 2 colors which is restrictive for MUD, maybe it will find its home in some kind of Welder Control deck (it's already in Welder's color, but also blue for FoW count).
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

It's definitely fringe playable, while it may not be partularly cost effectice at any one role role, it's ability to play three different roles makes it a solid SB card for being able to shore up multiple match ups with the least number of SB cards, I mean how many cards are good, albeit not great, to SB in vs either Storm or Goblins?

I'm not certain it'll see play in Reanimator, it's kind of hard to justify this over Faithless Looting when you /r, but it'll be a bomb in Standard, Extended and Modern for sure and I could see it ending up in an odd deck like Balance/Top with Phyrexian Dreadnought. Pretty much anything playable Counterspell will have to take a look at this instead.

I'm more interested in what the Izzet version of the Guildmage does. TRhe Golgari version seems pretty decent. Sadly, I don't think it's Legacy-worthy.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Well, last time there was just one Guildmage out of ten that was decent in Eternal (Azorius Guildmage), and that was a bit of a fluke due to "Counter target activated ability" and "Pay a million mana every turn: Tap target Darksteel Colossus" being both useful for Vintage. On the other side, now that they're gold cards rather than hybrids their power level can go up a bit.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw Izzet Charm was U/R Painter.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Looks like an interesting card. Too bad almost all relevant Legacy spell have 1cc, making it irrelvant in the format.

Anyone want to speculate on there being a decent cards with the 'populate' keyword? It might work if they throw it on cards.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

I'm excited for the charm cycle. Versatile 2cmc instants might help push certain color combinations in Legacy. If the Izzet Charm is an indication of their overall power, I would not be surprised to see some of them become new format staples (or at the very least fringe playable).

Thread Information