Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Return to Ravnica Spoilers

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Return to Ravnica Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Eh, Faerie Imposter would've been playable with Flash, as is I don't think it'll see play in Legacy as opposed to Modern.

Jarad's Orders seems like a really shitty Gifts Ungiven, I'm pretty sure Unburial Rites is always going to be better than Loyal Retainers and Gifts Ungiven has other relevant functionality. Even with color requirements that fall into G/b/w, you've really got to ask yourself whether or not this is any better than Natural Order for Progenitus or that new Worm.
    This is a pretty good point. If gifts-rites is unplayable, most likely Jarad-Loyal retainers will be unplayable as well.

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

I like the Faerie - sounds like a good late game card in the right deck. Aggressive cheap flyer to gain card advantage with Baleful Strix, Snapcaster or Spellstutter Sprite - [Stoneforge mystic]. Cheap enough you can play the creature again the same turn. 2:1 creatures are very popular at this time of the year and this one has the condition of abusing another 2 for 1 creature, but you get a good aggressive/evasive body out of the deal.
    Currently playing: Elves

If you need to stay GB you can still go Necrotic Ooze - Griselbrand. Throw in Genesis and maybe this can be included as some kind of combo finish/card advantage engine in GB Nic Fit.

The problem is what do you cut for the Faerie in Stoneblade, Jace? Seriously, it's one of those cards that fight for the Vendilion Clique slot and ends up losing because it's more conditional than Vendilion Clique (and Vendilion Clique kind of sucks in Stoneblade too these days)

I think the new Faerie might be better in a fishy shell with Vial, Spellstutter, Grunt (also nice interaction), new Cursecatcher Bird, Squadron Hawk etc.....

bruizar

Faery imposter is a decent addition for ninjafaeries.dec. Otherwise its to conditional.

I dont see it going into a tier 1 strategy

Cyclonic Rifts would be playable if the unleash cost or whatever was more reasonable, or if it hit lands. A one-sided Upheaval sounds about right at 9 mana. A one-sided half-Upheaval sounds uplayable.

Faerie needs flash.

Dunno about Jarad's Orders. Seems kind of pricey for a set-up card. Four mana, two of which is a specific color? Can anyone think of a reasonable way to abuse this if cast on turn 1? I mean, a BG Belcher shell with Iona or Griselbrand or something may be able to use this as an alternate win condition along with Loyal Retainers, but I can't think of any other spectacularly broken things to do with it off the top of my head.

bruizar

Jarads orders won't do anything in legacy. Gifts and intuition are faster and intuition is cheaper and they both allow better packages.

The upheaval sounds interesting but it's a bit too pricey. It reminds me alot of devastation tide. Perhaps the other unleash cards will be similar to the miracle cards in terms of what they do.

Crimson King

Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by evanmartyr View Post
    Cyclonic Rifts would be playable if the unleash cost or whatever was more reasonable, or if it hit lands. A one-sided Upheaval sounds about right at 9 mana. A one-sided half-Upheaval sounds uplayable.
    You do realize that the overload cost is only 7? Furthermore this card is freaking amazing in EDH. Basically you sneak that thing in eot and win the game. There is a reason Upheaval is banned in that format.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

The problem with the faerie is that it's not just return a creature. You have to return a creature or sacrifice the faerie. With this restriction I think it becomes really bad, because if you only have a single creature out and try to play this guy you'll get 2-for-1'd if your opponent removes the only creature you have in play. I think this would happen in a nontrivial number of games, enough to make it not good enough.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjoness' View Post
    You do realize that the overload cost is only 7? Furthermore this card is freaking amazing in EDH. Basically you sneak that thing in eot and win the game. There is a reason Upheaval is banned in that format.
    I meant in Legacy. Generally, when posting on the source, the default topic is Legacy. And yes, I was thinking that Overload was like a kicker type cost, not a replacement. 7 mana is *more* playable in Legacy, but still probably not good enough.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Faerie is crap, I'm not sure why people are giving it a second look. We had a whole cycle of these in Invasion block and basically none of them were good (except Cavern Harpy in Aluren). for 2/1 flying is meaningless because you will never be able to cast it early, and if you want to profit from returning your own guys there are less terrible ways. Given power creep we're nearly at the point where we should be getting 2/1 flying for without the drawback.

Nivmagus: what about as a sideboard card in creatureless burn? They board out removal, your burn turns into permanent pump and you bash with a 9/10 guy they can't do anything about. (Are there any other blue or red creatureless decks with lots of cheap spells? Tide? Maybe the mono-red Past in Flames storm deck.) Of course that's the ideal scenario, if they did keep some removal in you're hosed.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Valtrix View Post
    The problem with the faerie is that it's not just return a creature. You have to return a creature or sacrifice the faerie. With this restriction I think it becomes really bad, because if you only have a single creature out and try to play this guy you'll get 2-for-1'd if your opponent removes the only creature you have in play. I think this would happen in a nontrivial number of games, enough to make it not good enough.
    Perhaps with Mom it wouldn't be so bad. The fact that it trades with Delver makes me want to take another look at it.

Though it needs flash.. you could always play a deck that wants Vial @ 1 for that sort of trick, ie. bounce Mom after it saves something else, etc.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

When it comes to blue monocolor spells which have been spoiled so far, I am quite disappointed. Drake 3/4 with flash and flying seems still to costy, or too weak in power to me. Green has snake with flash and deathtouch...

Cyclonic rift - the overload seems to me as good idea. Definitely usable in EDH/commander decks since it can be cast on early stage of game, or on late stage with better effect. However the usual cost for similar spells used to be on 4-5 CMC, not 7. At least its instant...

Edit: i have fix a bit my opinion about Cyclonic rift. Its overload is bit costly, but the effect of bouncing all nonland permanents i dont control is still worth it.

Faerie imposter should be common for its power level. The card hides only little potential when comparing to Shrieking drake.

Jace as always - few abilities which should be used to control game long before 4th mana hits the ground... Still i prefer Tamiyo, The moon sage over all other blue planeswalkers...
    Last edited by Offler; 09-12-2012 at 02:21 AM.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Not for Legacy (probably), but this is the sort of weenie I'd like to see more of in white. Less all-in, more gradual advantage:

YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Not for Legacy (probably), but this is the sort of weenie I'd like to see more of in white. Less all-in, more gradual advantage:

Looks okay in French Foreign Legion.dec (Chalice-Supression Field based Soldier deck). It can be played through Chalice at one, is a trigger ability, is a Soldier. Though the double white might hurt it.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Jarads orders won't do anything in legacy. Gifts and intuition are faster and intuition is cheaper and they both allow better packages...
    Orders -> Legendary Creature (Griselbrand) + Loyal Retainers
    Seems plausibly strong, and you can even use Lion's Eye Diamond for the retainers.

At 4cc there's possibilities with Necrotic Ooze in just

Stuff with Vengevine or tech with Vengeful Pharaoh could prove interesting too.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Seems plausibly strong, and you can even use Lion's Eye Diamond for the retainers.
    Uh, did they change how LED works, or what? Because as far as I know your cards in hand will be gone before you could spend the mana.

Forgive me my stupidity.
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
    Uh, did they change how LED works, or what? Because as far as I know your cards in hand will be gone before you could spend the mana.
    I'm assuming you crack the LED in response to the Orders?

Bell-Chime Sphinx has an interesting ability. Of course, with the whole creature power creep, there's no point in cheating it into play for use with dredge/whatever.

Thread Information