Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Return to Ravnica Spoilers

Aug 2011
    Italy

Re: Return to Ravnica Spoilers

I fear the Izzet one could be the best possible charm we get from the set because other combinations like UB, UW, GB have possibilities to push the acceptable power levels so they could end up with rather clunky designs. On the other hand I might just be talking out of my ass.

Edit: Btw Izzet is a teribble name for a fictitious fantasy world guild (I know, I am several years late for this comment) because it is a real world name. A friend of mine has a boyfriend named Izzet.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Anyone want to speculate on there being a decent cards with the 'populate' keyword? It might work if they throw it on cards.
    The better question is: What are good tokens to copy in the first place? Aside from angel tokens generated by Geist.

The charm design seems interesting. I would love see decent Rakdos and Gruul charms since the power level of and especially multicolor cards is so goddamn shitty.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I would be quite excited for a instant that didn't just read "Terminate" for once. Anything that would give Red more flexibility in all honestly. That color needs some actual identity aside from direct damage.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I'm currently working on URg control, can I have his card right now? Kthx. I think the charm is going to see at least fringe play in some form.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I would be quite excited for a instant that didn't just read "Terminate" for once. Anything that would give Red more flexibility in all honestly. That color needs some actual identity aside from direct damage.
    It looks like the pattern for charms is "something color A can do, something color B can do, something both colors can do." Since Izzet Charm has direct damage to a creature, I suspect the red charm is going to either damage players or be some form of combat trick (power pumping, Falter/target can't block, intimidate). I don't suspect the Rakdos one will be as good, though if the joint mode is a better version of Fall (from Rise//Fall) it might be worth testing.

EDIT: I wonder how tight this cycle will be for mana costs. The Izzet one is clearly pushed for Constructed and will see play in this format in at least a few decks, possibly even some sort of midrange RUG deck. The others...Azorius might find a home in Stoneblade if it has two or more relevant modes, and the same for the green one in Maverick or Bant, but the other two aren't in good color combinations (BG, RB).

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Anyone want to speculate on there being a decent cards with the 'populate' keyword? It might work if they throw it on cards.
    All I want is a 2/2 with CMC 2 and ETB Populate. But I'm guessing they don't want Splinter Twin 2.0 with Cackling Counterpart.

Destroy target non-black, non artifact creature or
    Return target artifact from your graveyard to your hand or
    Each player loses one life for each non-basic land he controls or

A little critter kill, a little burn and some random red artifact utility

Eh ... this still isn't quite good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TorpidNinja View Post
    All I want is a 2/2 with CMC 2 and ETB Populate. But I'm guessing they don't want Splinter Twin 2.0 with Cackling Counterpart.
    An x/1 EtB populate would have a lot of solutions to it in Standard right now, especially considering it doesn't have haste. Outside of Standard, regular Twin is probably better.

EDIT: Off the top of my head, in Standard:

Rain of Blades
    Cower in Fear
    Mutilate
    Rolling Temblor
    Bonfire of the Damned
    Terminus

And a bunch of targeted removal:

Unsummon
    Searing Spear
    Murder
    Geistflame
    Death Wind
    Prey Upon

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The better question is: What are good tokens to copy in the first place? Aside from angel tokens generated by Geist.
    I was thinking more in terms of quantity than quality..there are some potentially interesting cards.
    Devastating Summons
    Kutholda Rebirth
    Lingering Souls
    Firecat Blitz
    Saproling Burst
    Reap the Seagraf
    Empty the Warrens
    Zektar Shrine Expedition

Or Dance of Many, or Heat Shimmer...

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Return target artifact or creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control or
    Each player loses one life for each non-basic land he controls or
    Fixed it, and now we're talking. Powerful? Indeed. Let's try to push some colors that aren't getting love lately.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Fixed it, and now we're talking. Powerful? Indeed. Let's try to push some colors that aren't getting love lately.
    This is realistically going to cost, like, five mana minimum.

And if it costs two, I'm splashing it in Reanimator.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Return target artifact from your graveyard to your hand or
    Each player loses one life for each non-basic land he controls or..
    Control/disruption would fit pretty well:

Target player discards two cards
    or
    Destroy Target Creature
    or
    Destroy Target Artifact

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Realistic + useful:

Choose one- Destroy target artifact; or destroy target creature that dealt or was dealt damage this turn; or exile all cards in target player's graveyard.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Knowing WotC it will be

RB - Dung Charm

Deal 2 damage to target non-flying blue creature OR
    Draw a card then discard 3 cards at random and smash your ball sack with a mallet OR
    Target Vampire you control looks really goth cool until end of turn, you gain cred with the emotional kids at your junior high

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    The others...Azorius might find a home in Stoneblade if it has two or more relevant modes, and the same for the green one in Maverick or Bant, but the other two aren't in good color combinations (BG, RB).
    The Azorius might contain a blink effect - blink is white while slightly bleeding into blue from time to time (e.g. Momentary Blink).

No idea about the other two - probably something with tapping?

You know, I think Izzet Charm, and any other Charms in this set, may be worth dusting off Ishochron Scepter for Modern.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

What's your first creature token generator going to be, though? I can think of Bitterblossom and not much else.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The Azorius might contain a blink effect - blink is white while slightly bleeding into blue from time to time (e.g. Momentary Blink).

No idea about the other two - probably something with tapping?
    deadeye navigator, Nephalia Smuggler and ghostly flicker seem more than slightly bleeding. It doesn't surprise me in the least they just decided to give blue yet another ability from another colour, any of those cards could have been white easily, but no blue has to do freaking everything so lets just take one of whites few interesting abilities and just shove it into blue.

Agreed though, i could see an azorious charm being something like 1. Bounce a non land non creature 2. blink something 3. tap something.

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    deadeye navigator, Nephalia Smuggler and ghostly flicker seem more than slightly bleeding. It doesn't surprise me in the least they just decided to give blue yet another ability from another colour, any of those cards could have been white easily, but no blue has to do freaking everything so lets just take one of whites few interesting abilities and just shove it into blue.

Agreed though, i could see an azorious charm being something like 1. Bounce a non land non creature 2. blink something 3. tap something.
    I might be mistaken, but white's blinking ability usually returns the card at end of turn, while these cards return it immediately.
    The land of waiting where the dead sit in their thoughts' shadow, by no moon lit.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Awaclus View Post
    I might be mistaken, but white's blinking ability usually returns the card at end of turn, while these cards return it immediately.
    It's actually pretty evenly split between the two.

Thread Information