Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [GP] Denver - Jan 5-6, 2013

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

[GP] Denver - Jan 5-6, 2013

Yay for more Legacy Grand Prix!

Boo for ice cold temperatures in a city not known for high Legacy attendance.

Discuss which parka you'll be wearing.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Mar 2011
    Boston, MA

Re: [GP] Denver - Jan 5-6, 2013

Both of the other GPs I was planning on attending turned out to be standard (Atlantic City and Quebec) so I think I'm going to go all out and hit up Denver as well. I'm finishing my last semester of school, so I think a celebration is in order.

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

Been meaning to visit some buddies in Colorado for a while now, looks like the perfect time to plan my getaway, although I was supposed to go to Paris for a conference and a vacation with my girlfriend in January...

*I can see it now*

"Sweetheart, Denver is like the Paris of America. You wouldn't have enjoyed the phenomenology conference anyway, I'm doing YOU a favor!"

"We're going to Paris."
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

GP Denver Good Times Guide
    I may update with links later, but for now I'm assuming you're all smart enough to use google. More to come as I have time.

Food

Fine Dining

Beatrice & Woodsley - Full disclaimer, I used to work here, but I still think they have some of the most interesting and innovative food in the city, and by far the most interesting interior design. On the current menu, the meat-n-beet and and chicken-fried duck burger are batshit-crazy-good. Brunch is always solid too (get a rasher of bacon, you will not be disappointed), and the cocktails are usually good, though I find them a bit fussy.

Fruition - If B&W is the the most innovative restaurant around, Fruition is probably the most solid. Competent staff, good wine list, and they own their own farm where they get most of their eggs, produce, and make some really excellent cheeses. Book well in advance, because the place is tiny. Also no parties bigger than 4.

Z Cuisine/A Cote - Phenomenal French bistro. Z cuisine is the restaurant proper, while A Cote is the Absinthe/wine bar next door. They share a kitchen though, so the real difference is that Z is much harder to get into, but has a menu that changes daily, whereas the A Cote menu is a more stable selection of a few favorites. Excellent charcuterie.

Dirty Good Time

Tacos y Salsas #3 - Best tacos I've had since leaving TX, hands down. Carnitas, Deshebrada, Lengua, and Barbacoa are all not to be missed.

Lao Wang Noodle House - Usually crowded, hot, terrible service, but absurdly amazing xiao long bao (think wonton soup, but the soup is in the wonton...mind = blown)

Pho 95 - There are about 300 numbered Pho places along South Federal, but I can vouch for this one being consistently excellent. Be aware that it's going to be packed on a cold weekend night, and you'll probably be sitting uncomfortably close to a perfect stranger. On the upside, it'll smells way better inside than most Magic event spaces.

Snarf's (many locations) - Best. Sandwiches. Ever. Get an Italian with everything, weep.

Brekkie
    Honestly I don't go out for breakfast much, feel free to send me suggestions.

Denver Diner - Yeah it's all frozen hashbrowns and pre-made everything, etc. But the coffee is good, service is fast, and they never ever fuck up eggs over medium. Pretty much all you can ask for in a greasy spoon.

Santiago's - Denver has a thing about "green chili" which is a spicy green/orange pork-based southwestern kind of sauce. Santiago's is known for theirs being spicy as all hell, and selling these tiny breakfast burritos by the dozen with eggs and potato and green chili. It's a chain, so there may be one relatively close to the event site.

Drink

Upscale/Cocktails

Colt and Gray - This place has a full menu, but I was not super impressed with the restaurant, especially when compared to the bar, which has some of the best cocktails in town. Interesting original drinks that aren't overdone, and great versions of about any classic you can think up. The bar snacks menu is great too, they make a lot of good charcuterie in house, and the portions on the cheese plate are fairly generous. Don't miss the crispy pig's trotter.

Bars

Hops & Pie - Awesome place. Great pizza and sandwiches, great beer selection that changes regularly.

Euclid Hall - This is really more of a restaurant, but I'm not super impressed with their food, but they keep a lot of good beers around.

Providence Tavern - This is my neighborhood joint. Good beer selection, really fucking good hamburgers.

Falling Rock Tap House - Tons of beer on tap (mostly leans towards Belgians), generic bar food, douchey part of town.

Breweries
    For now this is just one big jumbled list in no particular order, because there are just too many to go into detail. Fort Collins is about an hour and a half north, Boulder is 30-45min northwest.

Breckenridge (Kalmath St. location)
    O'Dell Brewing(Fort Collins)
    Upslope (Boulder)
    Strange Brewing
    Denver Beer Company
    Golden City Brewery (Golden)
    Coors (when in Rome?) (Golden)
    Oskar Blues (Lyons, north of Boulder)
    New Belgium (Fort Collins)
    Boulder Beer Company
    Dry Dock (Aurora)
    Wynkoop
    Avery (Boulder)
    Great Divide
    Left Hand (Longmont, N of Boulder)

I'm sure there are plenty I'm forgetting and will get yelled at about.

Stuff to Do

Brewery Tours - See list above. Coors is actually interesting just because of the scale, also self-guided so you can basically skip to the free beer part.

Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret - I cannot stress enough how awesome this place can be. The late night burlesque/variety shows (Thurs-Sat, 11pm) are always excellent. Good mix of comedy, magic, variety, and of course, boobs.

Go Outside
    Note that you can rent just about any outdoor equipment you might want at REI. There is a huge flagship store on Platte St. near downtown.

Skiing - Winter Park, Loveland, and Arapahoe Basin are all the closest resorts (I think). Keep going and you'll hit Aspen, Vail, Copper Mtn, Breckenridge, etc.

Snowshoeing - No idea where to go, but you can rent shoes at REI. If anyone is actually interested I can ask a friend that's into it.

Ice Skating - The lake at Evergreen is where it's at, and only 5$ (not counting skate rental)

Hot Springs - If you really want to make a vacation out of it, about 3hrs west of Denver you run into Glenwood Springs and Steamboat Springs. There are hot spring resorts/lodges/cabins all over the place out there.
    Last edited by Richard Cheese; 09-18-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I think I may attend this one. One non-blue Beta dual or a trip to a GP...GP it is.

I'll book the time off work and start rationing the incomes.

I'm hoping we don't get snowed in or anything, that's my only concern. How's the airport's reliability? Flying during the Christmas high doesn't seem the nicest, either.

-Matt

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I think I may attend this one. One non-blue Beta dual or a trip to a GP...GP it is.

I'll book the time off work and start rationing the incomes.

I'm hoping we don't get snowed in or anything, that's my only concern. How's the airport's reliability? Flying during the Christmas high doesn't seem the nicest, either.

-Matt
    DIA is generally pretty good. We get a good bit of snow (obviously), so they have learned pretty well how to deal with it there. The airport itself is really nice as well, in my opinion.

Definitely looking forward to Legacy in my own stomping grounds - hopefully there will be a good enough turnout and excitement that we can expand our Legacy scene here. :)
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

xtuffx

Dec 2008

Definitely going.

Legacy AND within driving distance AND during winter break, how can I not go?

Huzzah
    ^Has bromance with Brainstorm

Mar 2011
    Douglas County, CO

I hope this will be the shot in the arm the local legacy scene needs to become a bit more active.

As far as DIA and our winter weather are concerned I would be put it as a non issue. Yea we "occasionally" get snow in the city but no worse than anywhere back east or in the midwest.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by JACO View Post
    I will probably be going to this.

Denver's main airport is pretty reliable. It is one of the busiest (passenger count) in the USA.
    It also has a bar every 50 feet. There's no airport I'd rather be stuck in for any amount of time.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Legacy in Denver in January? WTF are they thinking?

Guess I'll be there.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Legacy in Denver in January? WTF are they thinking?

Guess I'll be there.
    I guess it's along the same lines as Atlanta in July. WotC seems to be a bit confused lately. Or maybe this is how they kill Legacy. Can't wait for GP Tuscon in August and GP Fairbanks next December.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

I guess it's along the same lines as Atlanta in July. WotC seems to be a bit confused lately. Or maybe this is how they kill Legacy. Can't wait for GP Tuscon in August and GP Fairbanks next December.
    That was pretty awesome in Atlanta, when they broke their all time high record on Sunday that was set on Saturday. :(

Seriously though, January is usually not too bad - we don't tend to get a lot of snow then either. February-March are much worse.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Dis iz da WAAAGH!
    Jan 2007
    Chicagoland

Last GP Denver was in February and it wasn't that bad.
    DCI Lvl II Judge

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

So, do we want to have a Source event? I'd love to get more Source playmats out into the world, mine is very lonely.

-Matt

GP Tucson in May would be worse because it's hotter and the monsoons wouldn't have started yet.

Then again, 105F temperatures with 35-40% humidity is its own special variety of painful.

EDIT: GP Yuma in May: 115F outside at noon, have fun with that.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    So, do we want to have a Source event? I'd love to get more Source playmats out into the world, mine is very lonely.

-Matt
    Where/How do I get one?

Quote Originally Posted by rxavage View Post
    Where/How do I get one?
    They were distributed at GP Providence and to mods/admins in a very limited fashion; WotC nixed them because of using card art and no progress was made on getting permission.

Assuming it works out with me attending, I would likely try to set up a Source table at the GP and have some sort of Source swag.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    They were distributed at GP Providence and to mods/admins in a very limited fashion; WotC nixed them because of using card art and no progress was made on getting permission.

Assuming it works out with me attending, I would likely try to set up a Source table at the GP and have some sort of Source swag.
    Damn, I live in North Providence, really wish I had gotten into legacy just a few months earlier. WotC is lame for not consenting.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I'm on the bandwagon of "Fuck them," and let's just print them and not put the Website address (just put "The Source").

Ideally, we keep it discreet and maybe not on site, so we can just say we made them ourselves for personal and non-profit use.

-Matt

Thread Information