Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most significant 'new' set on legacy?

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Re: Most significant 'new' set on legacy?

If you want to go back a little farther...

Dissension block had quite an impact on Legacy.

Infernal Tutor - storm combo gets one of its best cards. It arguably forced certain card designs as well and was part of the reason Mystical Tutor got banned.
    Protean Hulk - Got Flash banned, was the dominant combo deck for some time.
    Spell Snare - Is still played, and more often lately.
    Rakdos Pit Dragon - Dragon Stompy dominated the metagame for a minute, though Bloodmoon effects were more relevant than this guy. But he helped the deck get there.

EDIT:
    Also, when it comes to the 'impact' of a set, a single card can influence an entire deck design, which pushes that deck over the edge a little or makes it playable, or makes its downright broken. Can you imagine storm combo without Infernal Tutor? Protean Hulk and Flash was the most ridiculous shit I think we've ever seen in Legacy.

When you look at cards like Swords to Plowshares, they are obvious staples but they don't necessarily influence the format in the same way that archetype changing cards like Infernal Tutor do.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Let's assume for the sake of a premise, that Swords to Plowshares didn't exist (and by extension Path to Exile). How different would Legacy's metagame become? Would reanimation effects become stonger? Would Scavenging Ooze be that much better than before? Would White, as a support color, even exist?

I think StP is such an important part of the fabric of Legacy that it has an impact, just not as pronounced or evident as Delver of Secrets does.

Even eliminating StP from the list, we still are left with Alpha in a close contention with Brainstorm (Ice Age). Just some food for thought.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Let's assume for the sake of a premise, that Swords to Plowshares didn't exist (and by extension Path to Exile). How different would Legacy's metagame become? Would reanimation effects become stonger? Would Scavenging Ooze be that much better than before? Would White, as a support color, even exist?

I think StP is such an important part of the fabric of Legacy that it has an impact, just not as pronounced or evident as Delver of Secrets does.

Even eliminating StP from the list, we still are left with Alpha in a close contention with Brainstorm (Ice Age). Just some food for thought.
    Just going to point out the title
    "Most significant 'new' set on legacy?"
    Brainstorm is only useful in certain situations? Brainstorm is useful when you hand is not the stone cold nutter butter blade Ranchington Q. Farnsworth Esquire best. When Brainstorm is "dead", the game is already over.
    - AriLax

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by xeraseth View Post
    Just going to point out the title
    "Most significant 'new' set on legacy?"
    I've already put some thoughts about that -
    Rise of Eldrazi - got Survival banned, never saw Vengevine in action again.
    WWK - Jace/SFM/Spell Pierce -by the numbers.

Zen block in general, even when you don't count the fetchlands.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Yay! Math and data!!
    Top 20 played cards according to TCdecks (August):
    1 Brainstorm 940 (IA)
    LOL @ Brainstorm doesn't merit banning ...

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I think this thread is misleading. The title should be "Most Significant Modern Set on Legacy", so it only counts Mirrodin onwards.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    If you want to go back a little farther...

Dissension block had quite an impact on Legacy.
    Disagree strongly.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Disagree strongly.
    Care to elaborate?

How? Hulk Flash was THE deck to beat of its day. Protean Hulk warped the format and created the most broken deck that Legacy has seen in a LONG time if not ever. It was to my knowledge the fastest combo deck that could also play Force of Will.

Infernal Tutor facilitated IGG loop and more recently Ad Nauseam into your win. Without it, Storm combo wouldn't exist. Its arguably more important than Ad Nauseam because storm combo existed and performed well without AdN. Without Infernal Tutor, we wouldn't have seen the millions hate bears that WotC printed to try to hose storm combo. Thalia? Teeg? Flusterstorm? These are format staples. I don't think we'd have seen these cards if it hadn't been for Infernal Tutor. IT forced wizards into developing specific cards. After they printed Ad Nauseam, the card wouldn't be nearly as broken if IT wasn't printed. It lets you save deck space and have a lower avg. cc. Granted, Entomb in Reanimator contributed to a different kind of Mystical Tutor shenanigans; however, sideboards were really tight because you couldn't port the same kind of hate from the Storm matchup to the Reanimator matchup. I think MT would have gotten banned anyway but it probably would have taken longer.

Rakados Pit Dragon was often played as a 4'of and was often the fastest clock the deck could muster. Granted this was in an era where Bloodmoon effects were REALLY good so it took the format by surprise, but still the rise of Dragon Stompy is one of the factors that led to people running basics and being more careful with their mana bases. Without Pit Dragon, Dragon Stompy would have trouble being a deck because Arc Slogger and Flame Tongue Kavu were too slow and small compared to Goyf. Granted, later the deck got Molten Steel Dragon and Gathan Raiders but still Pit Dragon is one of the best creatures in the deck and few lists left him out (often for something like Phyrexian Revoker).

Spell Snare... I need not explain. Its a format staple that got played for quite a long time til the advent of Spell Pierce. However, people are picking it up again.

If you take a look at Conflux, which seemed like the best choice to me for the more recent sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I think if we go by weight-per-card it has to be Conflux. For a small set you got these heavy hitters:

Noble Hierarch
    Knight of the Reliquary
    Path to Exile
    Progenitus

+ the middling:

Hellspark Elemental
    Inkwell Leviathan
    Conflux
    Sigil of the Empty Throne

And the borderline:

Banefire
    Volcanic Fallout
    Magister Sphinx
    Parasitic Strix
    These are all great cards that see play, namely Hierarch and KoTR, but they didn't warp the metagame as intensely as IT or Protean Hulk. Conflux made Dream Halls (and more recently Omniscience) a thing but there are plenty of SnT variants and its not like SnT would die if Conflux wasn't around. I think the same can be said of Hierarch and KoTR. They are fantastic cards but Maverick would still exist, it just wouldn't be as good. I attribute most of the success of Maverick to GSZ and Thalia. KoTR would be next in line but when you look at cards like Scavenging Ooze and Pridemage, KoTR isn't always your best choice. Its a fat guy but GSZ's strength is that it can grab whatever you need whether it be Dryad Arbor for acceleration, Teeg/QPM for specific matchups, Ooze, etc. Also, Thalia gave the deck a fantastic control angle that slows down control decks and shuts down storm combo. Progenitals was good for a minute for sure when Natural Order was the shit. NO Countertop was dominant for a while. KoTR and Hierarch are played in Maverick which is the current dominant deck.

Still... I see Hulk and IT being way more format warping. I mean they created archetypes that resulted in bannings. When it comes to 'a set having the most impact on legacy', cards that result in bannings have more impact than format staples no?

Now if you want to talk about the long term, than format staples like KoTR and Hierarch are arguably more important. If this is the case though, then I think there is probably a different set with more staples than Conflux.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    LOL @ Brainstorm doesn't merit banning ...

On topic:

Dissension was a very significant set. Nowadays, with Flash banned, Dissension isn't very significant.

Koby: Thanks for the statistics, they saved me a lot of time. You've accidentally included Spell Pierce in Worldwake's number of cards that have made the top20, though. This is what it should look like after eliminating the fetchlands:

Row Labels Sum of #
    A 1649
    IA 940
    AL 876
    TE 782
    NE 748
    LOR 584
    ZEN 568
    NPH 409
    B 397
    INN 336
    WWK 301

According to this, Lorwyn is the most played new set in Legacy. I think that Zendikar is still more significant than Lorwyn, because Pierce is more significant than Ponder. Ponder only improves your deck, so you have to run it if you want to make use of its existence. Pierce, on the other hand, also makes other decks worse - if enough people run it, combo decks will be less prevalent in the meta, which you can exploit by running an aggro deck. In other words, you don't have to run Pierce to make use of its existence, and that's why the number of Pierces is lower than the number of Ponders in the statistics.
    The land of waiting where the dead sit in their thoughts' shadow, by no moon lit.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Not an all exhaustive list, but close.

Mirrodin block(great)
    5th Dawn
    Cranial
    Magma Jet
    Crucible
    Shackles
    Trinket Mage
    Explosives

Darksteel
    Blinkmoth
    Vial
    Clamp(banned, but we all know it's good)
    E. truth
    SoF/I
    SoL/S

Mirrodin
    Cloudpost
    Spellbombs
    Scepter
    Greaves
    Belcher
    Thoughtcast
    Slogger
    Triskelion
    Platinum Angel
    Chalice

Kamigawa block(meh)
    Saviors of Kami
    Manriki
    Erayo
    Kataki
    Ideas Unbound
    Ideal

Betrayers of Kami
    Jitte
    Kira
    Threads

Champions of Kami
    Boseiju
    Glimpse
    Desperate Ritual
    Gifts
    Night of Souls'
    Through the Breach
    Petals of Insight

Ravnica block(meh).
    Dissension
    Infernal
    Trygon
    Snare
    Hulk

Guildpact
    Angel of Despair
    Leyline of the Void
    Repeal

Ravnica
    Darkblast
    Bob
    Golgari Thug
    Life from the Loam
    Stinkweed
    Flame-Kin
    Grave-Troll
    Archon
    Chrod of Calling

Coldsnap.
    Rite of Flame
    Dark Depths
    Couterbalance

Time Spiral block(pretty good)
    Future Sight
    Salvage
    Arbor
    Grove
    Canopy
    Tolaria West
    Pacts
    Sword of the Meek
    Jailer
    Goyf
    Moeba
    Glittering Wish
    magus Moon
    Aven
    Bridge Below
    Tombstalker
    Goyfie

Planar Chaos.
    Small Sb cards and EDH
    Nodes
    Extirpate
    Sulfur Elemental
    Simian
    Body Double

Timeshifted
    Crypt
    Gmstone

Time Spiral
    Ruins
    Vision
    Ancient Grudge
    Smallpox
    Serra Avenger
    Dread Return
    Wipeaway
    Mangara
    Empty Warrens

Lorwyn block.(great)
    Eventide
    Raven's Crime
    Nettle Sentinel

Shadowmoor
    Cursecatcher
    FInks
    Firespout
    Wheel Sun/Moon

Morningtide
    Mutavault
    Blossom
    Crusher
    Clique

Lorwyn
    Thoguhtseize
    Silvergill
    Teeg
    Spellstutter
    Reejery
    O-Ring
    Doran
    Ponder

Shards of Alara block(excellent)
    Shards
    Relic
    Nacatl
    Visionary
    Cannonist
    Sculler
    Rhox
    Wolly
    Charms
    Ad Naus
    Rafiq

Conflux
    Noble
    Strix
    KotR
    Fallout
    Conflux
    Inkwell
    Progenitus

Alara Reborn
    Thopter Foundry
    Pridemage
    Pulse
    Sphinx

Zendiakr block(awesome) Side note; I dont draft, but this looks like the fastest draft format evar?
    Rise of
    Inquisiton
    Coralhelm
    Venge
    Emrakul

Worldwake
    Bog
    Loam Lion
    Mystic
    Jace

Zendikar
    Goblin Guide
    Lynx
    Pierce
    Punishing Fire
    Ghast
    Traps
    DoJudgement
    Sphinx of Lost truths
    Iona

Scars block(amaze)
    New Phyrexia
    Probe
    Misstep
    Surgical
    Gut Shot
    Dismember
    Battrskull
    Elesh'Jin

Mirrodin Besieged
    Inkmoth
    Revoker
    Go for Throat
    SoF/F
    Thrun
    Tezz 2
    Zeniths

Scars Mirrodin
    Etched Cahmpion
    Ezuri
    hellkite

Innistrad block
    Avacyn Restored
    Miracles
    Griselbrand

Dark Ascension
    Cage
    Looting
    Scour
    Thalia
    Souls

Innistrad
    Delver
    Snapcaster
    Lab Maniac
    Liliana
    Geist
    Past inFlames
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by menace13 View Post
    Zendiakr block(awesome) Side note; I dont draft, but this looks like the fastest draft format evar?
    Actually, it's two formats. Worldwake and Zendikar were drafted together and Rise of the Eldrazi was drafted alone.
    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    He's right in thinking that ZEN/ZEN/WWK was an extremely fast format though
    I'm not denying that. And for sure it was also even faster than ZEN/WWK/ROE would have been.
    Last edited by Awaclus; 09-15-2012 at 06:15 AM.
    The land of waiting where the dead sit in their thoughts' shadow, by no moon lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Awaclus View Post
    Actually, it's two formats. Worldwake and Zendikar were drafted together and Rise of the Eldrazi was drafted alone.
    He's right in thinking that ZEN/ZEN/WWK was an extremely fast format though

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    These are all great cards that see play, namely Hierarch and KoTR, but they didn't warp the metagame as intensely as IT or Protean Hulk. Conflux made Dream Halls (and more recently Omniscience) a thing but there are plenty of SnT variants and its not like SnT would die if Conflux wasn't around. I think the same can be said of Hierarch and KoTR. They are fantastic cards but Maverick would still exist, it just wouldn't be as good. I attribute most of the success of Maverick to GSZ and Thalia. KoTR would be next in line but when you look at cards like Scavenging Ooze and Pridemage, KoTR isn't always your best choice. Its a fat guy but GSZ's strength is that it can grab whatever you need whether it be Dryad Arbor for acceleration, Teeg/QPM for specific matchups, Ooze, etc. Also, Thalia gave the deck a fantastic control angle that slows down control decks and shuts down storm combo. Progenitals was good for a minute for sure when Natural Order was the shit. NO Countertop was dominant for a while. KoTR and Hierarch are played in Maverick which is the current dominant deck.

Still... I see Hulk and IT being way more format warping. I mean they created archetypes that resulted in bannings. When it comes to 'a set having the most impact on legacy', cards that result in bannings have more impact than format staples no?

Now if you want to talk about the long term, than format staples like KoTR and Hierarch are arguably more important. If this is the case though, then I think there is probably a different set with more staples than Conflux.
    Infernal Tutor didn't really lead directly to anything being banned. MT's banning, besides being a mistake, was also triggered by Reanimator, which didn't run it.

Conversely, Maverick is all over the place now (NORug was dominant last Summe,) and I don't agree that the deck would be remotely playable without Knight and Hierarch. It's hard to argue that the deck's success relies on Thalia when it was winning tournaments before Thalia came along. Knight is the deck's best card, except maybe GSZ which is great partly because it can grab KotR.

Thread Information