Quote Originally Posted by bowvamp View Post
Yes, and?
That's a three card four mana combo if you're saying it's overpowered. I think that Cire's list is actually beautiful. Paincast is basically the only way wizards is going to let red, the burn color, compete with blue, the everything else and a little burn color. And even then I only mean in standard/modern.
Obviously not for legacy, modern most likely. I was simply pointing out how sweet it would be to make that play, and it honestly doesn't seem that unreasonable in a mono-red build packed with 4-ofs. And I agree that his list is good, and if it were an actual mechanic I could see those being reasonable cards to print. My point is I can also see why they didn't. When you put any card from that list in conjunction with lightning bolt you break the 3 damage for 1 mana plateau that wizards seems to have set. Bolt + Goblin Guide is already a very strong mono red play, and technically breaks that rule, but at the cost of potentially drawing your opponents cards. ~1~ and bolt is almost strictly better. ~2~ seems like an awesome finisher. I wouldn't mind seeing that card actually printed.

These cards would also allow burn flexibility around CB for whatever that's worth.