Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: UW Sanctuary (Helm/RiP combo)

Re: UW Sanctuary (Helm/RiP combo)

Are we mostly running On Thin Ice for a lone 1 drop enchantment in which to combo with E-Tutor and CB interactions? Or do we really need that 5th STP? I'm wondering if a lone Land Tax would be better in this slot. It's still a one drop enchantment and this deck does want more card draw and of course it rocks with Scroll Rack.
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Sep 2011

A bit of both. I noticed more Xerox piles were running 5 1cc removals lately, though this deck already has a lot of anti-aggro maindeck. Land Tax seems good too.

Okay, so I've been goldfishing this a little. So far it seems that Land Tax feels pretty good here. It would be nice to have something to sac lands to such as in Parfait but really, even if you only activate it once you get a lot of value. I really want to test this deck but will have to wait a few days unless I play online which kills my soul.

Sep 2011

Try out Land Tax then. Seems worth it.

Like many prison decks, my build runs a lot of card disadvantage for tempo to get and protect the locks early. It's a common prison gambit. If it works, your early lock nullifies a ton of the opponent's cards and you win. The tradeoff is in grindy games it struggles to recover cards, and many cards that would fix that would be tempo sucks in fast games. Land Tax fits that niche well by costing only 1 but potentially drawing many cards. Even if you just get 3 lands once, it catches you up in cards and ensures smooth mana to play out the combo (sometimes I stall to find 5 mana to Helm + activate at once). Then with either Brainstorm or Scroll Rack it just gets better.

Looking forward to hearing your results. If you're playing vs Sharkstill, you'll need to board aggressively. The SB is set up to have a lot of cards to bring in vs spell-based control, while the maindeck has more answers for fair creatures and unfair combos. Depending on the Sharkstill build you'll want to take out some of the anti-aggro and card disadvantage to bring in 1-for-1s (red blasts, Fluster, Veto), Narset, the 2nd Helm, and maybe Wear//Tears. B2B is good if they're on manlands. They're very slow so you don't need tempo as much as you need enough resources to trade and still protect your wincon.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Try out Land Tax then. Seems worth it.

Like many prison decks, my build runs a lot of card disadvantage for tempo to get and protect the locks early. It's a common prison gambit. If it works, your early lock nullifies a ton of the opponent's cards and you win. The tradeoff is in grindy games it struggles to recover cards, and many cards that would fix that would be tempo sucks in fast games. Land Tax fits that niche well by costing only 1 but potentially drawing many cards. Even if you just get 3 lands once, it catches you up in cards and ensures smooth mana to play out the combo (sometimes I stall to find 5 mana to Helm + activate at once). Then with either Brainstorm or Scroll Rack it just gets better.

Looking forward to hearing your results. If you're playing vs Sharkstill, you'll need to board aggressively. The SB is set up to have a lot of cards to bring in vs spell-based control, while the maindeck has more answers for fair creatures and unfair combos. Depending on the Sharkstill build you'll want to take out some of the anti-aggro and card disadvantage to bring in 1-for-1s (red blasts, Fluster, Veto), Narset, the 2nd Helm, and maybe Wear//Tears. B2B is good if they're on manlands. They're very slow so you don't need tempo as much as you need enough resources to trade and still protect your wincon.
    Yes, I possibly will be going up against Sharkstill again, this is my buddy's pet deck. Looks like I could also be playing against Esper Mentor as well and I could have him run pretty much any other deck. We've got pretty much the entire gauntlet of decks proxied up and ready for testing. Anything you'd like to see it tested against?

So, yeah I noticed there is some card disadvantage from the likes of FoW, FoN and E-Tutor. I sort of want to run 2 Land Tax. Another thought is to cut 4 land and run Chrome Mox. This of course would be more card disadvantage but I'm wondering if less land and more mana rocks would help with activating Land Tax (being that you don't need as much land on the table). It would also supply ramp. I'm thinking though that the card disadvantage might outweigh the advantages. Especially if you never see a Land Tax.

Your sideboard looks nice and REBs should be good against Teferi, Jace, Sharkstills etc.. His build doesn't run manlands so I won't need B2B. I'll take your advice on the rest.

Sep 2011

2nd Land Tax is worth testing, either main or SB.

I think Mox isn't worth it. Unlike Chalice decks, you don't need to have a lock piece on turn 1.

A great curve out vs a fast deck is something like
    T1 cantrip/removal/ETutor
    T2 lock piece A
    T3 upkeep ETutor or mainphase cantrip + lock piece B (or Scroll Rack/CB with 1 open)
    With Force + blue card in hand

Because RiP, Energy Field, CB and Scroll Rack all cost 2 mana it curves out well like that. 1 extra turn of cantripping for turn 4 lock is fine too, or if they have no clock then you can just set up directly for a Helm+activate with protection.

Mox could potentially let you drop business T1 & T2 instead of T2 & T3. But often you need to sculpt or interact first anyway, so that mana boost doesn't necessarily make it a turn faster in practice. Meanwhile it costs you a card. I'm not sold that it adds enough tempo to be worth it. On the other hand, you can see how ETutor costing 1 mana and Force being free are really good tempo in those starts. Often against fast decks I felt like I got Energy Field just in time, and 1 turn later would have been too slow, with every single mana spent counting.

I recommend testing against fair creature decks first to get a feel for the deck mechanics. Most combo, especially GY based ones, should be easy. Oko/Uro piles were positive matchups too, which was what got me on this in the first place. Trolling textless Oko at 20 counters and the 1UG Explore was satisfying.

Spell-heavy control decks with lots of card advantage and few creatures and minimal graveyard reliance, like Landstill and Esper Mentor, are/were bad matchups. CounterRack and Land Tax may help significantly in those grindy games, unsure how much. The previous version didn't have Scroll Rack. That testing is definitely needed, especially postboard. But if that's all you test against then it may get discouraging.

2nd Land Tax is worth testing, either main or SB.

I think Mox isn't worth it. Unlike Chalice decks, you don't need to have a lock piece on turn 1.

A great curve out vs a fast deck is something like
    T1 cantrip/removal/ETutor
    T2 lock piece A
    T3 upkeep ETutor or mainphase cantrip + lock piece B (or Scroll Rack/CB with 1 open)
    With Force + blue card in hand

Because RiP, Energy Field, CB and Scroll Rack all cost 2 mana it curves out well like that. 1 extra turn of cantripping for turn 4 lock is fine too, or if they have no clock then you can just set up directly for a Helm+activate with protection.

Mox could potentially let you drop business T1 & T2 instead of T2 & T3. But often you need to sculpt or interact first anyway, so that mana boost doesn't necessarily make it a turn faster in practice. Meanwhile it costs you a card. I'm not sold that it adds enough tempo to be worth it. On the other hand, you can see how ETutor costing 1 mana and Force being free are really good tempo in those starts. Often against fast decks I felt like I got Energy Field just in time, and 1 turn later would have been too slow, with every single mana spent counting.

I recommend testing against fair creature decks first to get a feel for the deck mechanics. Most combo, especially GY based ones, should be easy. Oko/Uro piles were positive matchups too, which was what got me on this in the first place. Trolling textless Oko at 20 counters and the 1UG Explore was satisfying.

Spell-heavy control decks with lots of card advantage and few creatures and minimal graveyard reliance, like Landstill and Esper Mentor, are/were bad matchups. CounterRack and Land Tax may help significantly in those grindy games, unsure how much. The previous version didn't have Scroll Rack. That testing is definitely needed, especially postboard. But if that's all you test against then it may get discouraging.
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I think he's going to want to play Esper Mentor and he always plays Sharkstill but we can test it against Goblins, D&T, Esper Vial and a bunch of combo decks as well. It'll probably be next week by the time we get to play though.

I think your right about Mox too. I use to play a lot of Parfait in Vintage back when Keeper, Nether Void and Dragon were top decks. My thoughts were that I used to run a few off color moxen to support my mana base as I sacked lands to Zuran Orb to support Land Tax. But here I don't think we need that especially at the cost of a card. I think we can activate Land Tax once or twice and we should be good. I think for now I should just run 1x Land Tax. The deck is so tight I couldn't see cutting anything else anyway.

I played this yesterday and it was really strong. I'd even go as far to say that this deck is amazing! Most of the games there was no sideboarding and I'll explain a little bit more on that, but first, here is the list. And btw, because I didn't run the sideboard I didn't run red for REBs.

RiP Helm Miracles: 60

Lock / Synergies: 15
    4x Rest in Peace
    3x Energy Field
    3x Counterbalance
    3x Scroll Rack
    2x Land Tax

Win: 2
    1x Helm of Obedience
    1x Court of Cunning

Control / Removal: 13
    4x Force of Will
    2x Force of Negation
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Terminus
    1x Detention Sphere

Search / Draw: 11
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Ponder
    3x Enlightened Tutor

Land: 19
    4x Flooded Strand
    4x Polluted Delta
    3x Tundra
    4x Island
    3x Plains
    1x Karakas

First I went 2-1 against Goblins. The very first game I played I lost but barely and I really didn't know how to play the deck at this point. I could have and should have won. This was an extremely easy match up. I would like to say that I actually went 3-0 but first time playing made some mistakes. This was so simple that I feel I could 10-0 against it.

Next I played against my buddies extremely strong Sharkstill deck that has been giving me fits in our last several sessions. First of all, there are a ton of dead cards in his deck being that mine is creatureless. I literally whooped him 4-0. Then I allowed him to sideboard even though I couldn't because I didn't have one. That game he did beat me but I think if I had a sideboard it wouldn't have been too hard.

One of the 4 games I won I did lock him out with Scroll Rack + Counterbalance. This worked amazingly well. Land Tax + Scroll Rack was actually nice in one game too. Energy Field + Rest in Peace was my most common lock and he'd just about scooped every time that happened. His Replenishes were dead with Rest in Peace in play.

LOVE this deck. Going to get the sideboard together for the next session. Not only was it blast to play, I feel like it has major potential. We're gonna test it more in the future. BTW, I feel like I my flex slot / slots are land. Cutting a land or two for more control wouldn't suck do to Land Tax, FYI.
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 04-21-2021 at 11:13 PM.

I'm thinking cutting a land or two for Daze. Daze seems like it would interact fairly well with Land Tax being that it returns a land.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    I played this yesterday and it was really strong. I'd even go as far to say that this deck is amazing! Most of the games there was no sideboarding and I'll explain a little bit more on that, but first, here is the list.

LOVE this deck. Going to get the sideboard together for the next session. Not only was it blast to play, I feel like it has major potential. We're gonna test it more in the future. BTW, I feel like I my flex slot / slots are land. Cutting a land or two for more control wouldn't suck do to Land Tax, FYI.
    Great results! Glad you had fun playing it.

Yeah, I think this strategy has real legs. The threat of the various locks and combos sort of forces the opponent to deviate from their plan A and play into a different game of fighting over enchantments. Most 75s are designed to answer creatures much better than enchantments, so they're fighting with a handicap where you have more haymakers than they have answers. In the Oko-Uro meta it dodged everything those decks were trying to do (the 1 nonland permanent type Oko can't wreck + shutting off the GY value train). Playing 0 creatures and MD 4x gravehate also punishes a lot of decks in game 1, before they can board into a better configuration.

I haven't looked into playing more Land Taxes and fewer land but that seems strong. I haven't explored Daze either because I wasn't building as much around Land Tax.

Your manabase is smoother without red, but postboard I think red helps the blue matchups. How did Sharkstill beat you postboard? REBs might be enough to win those counter wars protecting your engines.

List looks fun; intrigued to try it out in the current meta.

Is there a discord for this deck that you folks know about?

Great results! Glad you had fun playing it.

Yeah, I think this strategy has real legs. The threat of the various locks and combos sort of forces the opponent to deviate from their plan A and play into a different game of fighting over enchantments. Most 75s are designed to answer creatures much better than enchantments, so they're fighting with a handicap where you have more haymakers than they have answers. In the Oko-Uro meta it dodged everything those decks were trying to do (the 1 nonland permanent type Oko can't wreck + shutting off the GY value train). Playing 0 creatures and MD 4x gravehate also punishes a lot of decks in game 1, before they can board into a better configuration.

I haven't looked into playing more Land Taxes and fewer land but that seems strong. I haven't explored Daze either because I wasn't building as much around Land Tax.

Your manabase is smoother without red, but postboard I think red helps the blue matchups. How did Sharkstill beat you postboard? REBs might be enough to win those counter wars protecting your engines.
    I think the Sharkstill matches pre-sideboard were in my favor because my opponent had so many dead creature removal cards. Once he sided out 8-10 removal cards and replaced them with counters and artifact/enchantment removal is were he got me. Although, had I been able to side against him it would have been better. And yes, I believe REBs would have been really nice here.

I was recently on vacation so I haven't had a chance to get back to this thread. I did however get to play this same list just before I left and I tested it against a larger pool of decks. Again no sideboards. I wish I had, but I didn't record my stats. My brother was visiting from Idaho (he's an insanely good player btw) so we were testing it against decks I already had together.

I will say that this deck seemingly stomps Vial decks. If I remember correctly I went something like 4-1 against Death & Taxes. The previous week I was beating up on Goblins. So Vial decks imho are just easy.

Next I played against Eldrazi and those match ups were about 50/50. We played this a lot. I can't remember exactly but I think we either went 5-4 or 4-5 here. So that is still pretty good. Chalice hurts a bit but it isn't game ending.

Next we played Elves. Can't remember the stats but this match up was in my favor. We have too much removal and the combos come together quickly.

Next we played BUG Threshold (with Goyfs, Delvers, Hexdrinkers, Stifle etc..) and I honestly can't remember the exact stats but this match up seemed to go 50/50 as well.

Then we played Enchantress and to my surprise this was a bad match up. Again, can't remember the stats but once an Enchantress hit the table it was all over within the next couple of turn. I did however win a few here.

I'm going to get the sb together and maybe splash red for my next session which is in about a week.

Conclusion: There is no doubt in my mind. This deck is really really good. While not unbeatable, it seems to stomp some top tier decks and at the very least hold it's weight even against it's 50/50 match ups. I only had one really poor showing and that was against Enchantress. However, in theory we should be beating that deck every time. I just wasn't drawing any counter magic. My one recommendation is to include more. A sb would be really helpful in determining how good this deck really is. One thing I do know is that it is a blast to play!

EDIT: I did feel that I could cut a land, maybe two. Especially since we have Land Tax. If I do, I'm thinking 1-2 more counter magic spells would fit well. Probably either Daze or Spell Pierce. Even though we're not a tempo deck I like the way Daze interacts with Land Tax.
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 05-12-2021 at 12:12 AM.

Sep 2011

Great results again! Glad to see you doing well with this and enjoying it!

I would be trying it out in paper tournaments already if they were still a thing. Maybe I'll suck it up and buy the cards online to play this on MTGO.

Conclusion: There is no doubt in my mind. This deck is really really good. While not unbeatable, it seems to stomp some top tier decks and at the very least hold it's weight even against it's 50/50 match ups. I only had one really poor showing and that was against Enchantress. However, in theory we should be beating that deck every time. I just wasn't drawing any counter magic. My one recommendation is to include more. A sb would be really helpful in determining how good this deck really is. One thing I do know is that it is a blast to play!
    The way I set up my build, the mainboard is a bit light on countermagic but the SB has a lot to board in. That configuration does make us weaker preboard vs creature-light control decks, but then the main does well against other decks. In testing I liked that MB/SB split. However just playing just that main without any SB is going to leave you short on answers for some matchups like Enchantress and postboard Sharkstill. I think you'll notice a difference once you start playing with a SB. You might still decide on a different MB/SB split with more counters main, but having the SB really helps.

All these cards in my SB are good vs Enchantress:
    Dovin's Veto (extra counter)
    Wear // Tear (enchantment kill)
    Engineered Explosives (kills Enchantresses)
    Detention Sphere#2 (more enchantment kill)
    Narset, Parter of Veils (shut down their draw engine!)
    Ethersworn Canonist/Deafening Silence (stop them from chaining multiple spells per turn)
    Back to Basics (lock down Serra's Sanctum)

You might decide on some different SB card choices. The general idea was to have multiple counters, multiple enchantment/artifact kill, and then a few silver bullets. I tried for diverse answers that can be used against multiple things.

Vs decks like Enchantress and Sharkstill I would bring in counters and enchantment kill and board out StPs, 1 Energy Field, and some other slots depending on their deck build.

If you're thinking about cutting a land for a counter, first I'd try playing with a SB. If the SB means a 3-color manabase, you may decide you don't want to cut a land anymore (risks losses to tempo). If you can find a good SB in just 2 colors then you might be OK cutting land. REBs seem strong though. Wear//Tear helps to get around Chalice @ 1 or Chalice @ 2 (which could be a common choice vs this deck).

I will say that this deck seemingly stomps Vial decks. If I remember correctly I went something like 4-1 against Death & Taxes. The previous week I was beating up on Goblins. So Vial decks imho are just easy.

Next we played Elves. Can't remember the stats but this match up was in my favor. We have too much removal and the combos come together quickly.
    Yeah, Energy Field beats up on creature decks. They might have a few answers in the 75 but we can just save counters for those or have redundant copies.

Important ruling: If you have RiP/Field and they kill RiP, it exiles itself so Energy Field lives. If they kill Energy Field, RiP exiles it so a 2nd copy of Energy Field doesn't get killed. The combo insulates itself against getting 2-for-1d.
    That means if you're in a board stall vs a creature deck and they're trying to a set up a game state where they can sneak through one Disenchant and alpha strike, you can play around that by playing out a 2nd Energy Field (2nd RiP helps too). Now they have to resolve at least 2 Disenchants vs your control deck. Pretty much unwinnable for them.

Next I played against Eldrazi and those match ups were about 50/50. We played this a lot. I can't remember exactly but I think we either went 5-4 or 4-5 here. So that is still pretty good. Chalice hurts a bit but it isn't game ending.
    Postboard the Wear//Tears and EE help to beat Chalice decks.
    Chalice isn't game ending but still hurts so we're better off answering it (Chalice @ 1 shuts down card selection, Chalice @ 2 shuts down engines). If the play Chalice @ 2 in G1, you can ETutor into Detention Sphere.

Karn into Lattice is game ending. Must-counter.

Great results again! Glad to see you doing well with this and enjoying it!

I would be trying it out in paper tournaments already if they were still a thing. Maybe I'll suck it up and buy the cards online to play this on MTGO.

The way I set up my build, the mainboard is a bit light on countermagic but the SB has a lot to board in. That configuration does make us weaker preboard vs creature-light control decks, but then the main does well against other decks. In testing I liked that MB/SB split. However just playing just that main without any SB is going to leave you short on answers for some matchups like Enchantress and postboard Sharkstill. I think you'll notice a difference once you start playing with a SB. You might still decide on a different MB/SB split with more counters main, but having the SB really helps.

All these cards in my SB are good vs Enchantress:
    Dovin's Veto (extra counter)
    Wear // Tear (enchantment kill)
    Engineered Explosives (kills Enchantresses)
    Detention Sphere#2 (more enchantment kill)
    Narset, Parter of Veils (shut down their draw engine!)
    Ethersworn Canonist/Deafening Silence (stop them from chaining multiple spells per turn)
    Back to Basics (lock down Serra's Sanctum)

You might decide on some different SB card choices. The general idea was to have multiple counters, multiple enchantment/artifact kill, and then a few silver bullets. I tried for diverse answers that can be used against multiple things.

Vs decks like Enchantress and Sharkstill I would bring in counters and enchantment kill and board out StPs, 1 Energy Field, and some other slots depending on their deck build.

If you're thinking about cutting a land for a counter, first I'd try playing with a SB. If the SB means a 3-color manabase, you may decide you don't want to cut a land anymore (risks losses to tempo). If you can find a good SB in just 2 colors then you might be OK cutting land. REBs seem strong though. Wear//Tear helps to get around Chalice @ 1 or Chalice @ 2 (which could be a common choice vs this deck).

Yeah, Energy Field beats up on creature decks. They might have a few answers in the 75 but we can just save counters for those or have redundant copies.

Important ruling: If you have RiP/Field and they kill RiP, it exiles itself so Energy Field lives. If they kill Energy Field, RiP exiles it so a 2nd copy of Energy Field doesn't get killed. The combo insulates itself against getting 2-for-1d.
    That means if you're in a board stall vs a creature deck and they're trying to a set up a game state where they can sneak through one Disenchant and alpha strike, you can play around that by playing out a 2nd Energy Field (2nd RiP helps too). Now they have to resolve at least 2 Disenchants vs your control deck. Pretty much unwinnable for them.

Postboard the Wear//Tears and EE help to beat Chalice decks.
    Chalice isn't game ending but still hurts so we're better off answering it (Chalice @ 1 shuts down card selection, Chalice @ 2 shuts down engines). If the play Chalice @ 2 in G1, you can ETutor into Detention Sphere.

Karn into Lattice is game ending. Must-counter.
    Thank you for the sb advice! I really do want REBs and Wear // Tear, but I think (at least with my build) I'm gonna first start with a Blue White sb to see if it's possible. At least for now there are no Okos to worry about. I could essentially keep your original sideboard (below) but cut 2x Wear//Tear for 2x Detention Sphere or even Seal of Cleansing. And then maybe cut both Pyro and REB for Spell Pierce.

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Dovin's Veto
    2 Wear // Tear
    1 Narset, Parter of Veils
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Deafening Silence
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Detention Sphere
    1 Web of Inertia
    1 Helm of Obedience

Good call on the RIP/Energy Field ruling. I hadn't noticed that yet. Good to know! Also, all of the other advice you posted. Good stuff! Now I have some more cards to order.

Okay, so I had a casual deck built when I first started playing mtg around this combo and loved it. Can you elaborate more on the plan with this list in discussion? I haven’t played with land tax or scroll rack before.

Is the general plan to play out your pieces and just survive until you can helm?

What about T3feri to help protect interaction or Karn to get helm if you need another one?

I’m going to try your list and I’ll give some feedback.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by FistaCuffSmith View Post
    Okay, so I had a casual deck built when I first started playing mtg around this combo and loved it. Can you elaborate more on the plan with this list in discussion? I haven’t played with land tax or scroll rack before.

Is the general plan to play out your pieces and just survive until you can helm?
    The OP lists in this thread are more focused on accelerating out the RiP+Helm combo in a semi-casual way. What Laser and I have built here is a bit different from that. It's more UW control with a combo finish (control-combo). Helm is just a compact noncreature "I Win" button taking up little deck space, that you can tutor or dig for when you're ready to finish.

This is my take on the deck and my motivations behind building it, but Laser may have other opinions as a player with more Parfait background.

Fundamentally this is a tap-out UW control based on proactive permanents instead of a reactive spells. UW control has been a dominant force in Magic for a long time, combining blue to control the stack and white to control the board. UW control can be either reactive (draw-go, holding up instant-speed answers) or proactive (tapping out to play permanents that establish control). This is a proactive version. The permanents assemble to form some useful combos that threaten to provide massive virtual card advantage if they stick. This forces the opponent to fight over your enchantments under the threat that you'll just take over the game otherwise. Because the permanents are artifacts and enchantments, you're exploiting the fact that most Legacy decks run very few answers to resolved enchantments. We proactively spam out more things than they can answer, protect them with counters, then use those engines to run away with the game. Once you've got the game locked up, Helm is an elegant 1-card "I win" button.

Reeplcheep's Curse Stompy decks fights the current meta along a similar angle: maindeck gravehate, proactive permanent-based prison, then playing a 1-card "I win" like Curse or Helm.

2-card Combos
    Rest in Peace + Energy Field: You can't take damage (although you can take life loss). RiP exiling cards turns off Energy Field's usual self-destruct. This combo makes most board states and win conditions completely irrelevant, forcing the opponent to divert from their game plan to answering this so they can actually do things. RiP also hates out a lot of GY-based value engines that are common right now.

Rest in Peace + Web of Inertia: A slight variation on RiP+Field, this one means your opponent can't turn creatures sideways (but does let you take other sources of damage, e.g. Lightning Bolt). Web is useful to stop "attacks" triggers on creatures like Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath and Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. Because this is more of a corner case, we only run 1 Web and in the SB. Most of the time Energy Field is better.

Rest in Peace + Helm of Obedience: With RiP out, Helm basically reads "5: Win the game". You want to get RiP out early for the other combos and for general grave hate. Then, when you're ready, you can go "5: Win the game". Ideally you want to get control first and have counters in hand to protect the combo, but you can goldfish out the combo if they're Hellbent. ETutor finds this at EOT or Upkeep for 1 mana so you can pull this out of nowhere pretty quickly.

Land Tax + Scroll Rack: If you have fewer lands in play than the opponent, Land Tax has "0: Put 3 lands in your hand. Shuffle". 1 mana to draw 3 cards is good, even better if it's repeatable. The drawback is that these cards are lands. Extra lands are usually redundant, and then you run out of lands in the deck and can't keep repeating. But Scroll Rack lets you put those 3 lands (and any other unwanted cards) back to draw fresh cards. Combined you're paying 1 mana to just draw 3 free random cards each turn. The lands go back to your library so Land Tax can find the same 3 lands again next turn, and Scroll Rack can convert them into 3 new cards again. Unchallenged this threatens to give you overwhelming card advantage in the late game and just bury the opponent. UW control drawing this many free cards is too much for most decks to handle.

Counterbalance + Scroll Rack: Similar to Counterbalance + Sensei's Divining Top, being able to pay 1 colorless mana to change the top card of your library at instant speed allows you to essentially have a repeatable "1, T: counter target spell". Counterbalance is a dumb card that completely dominates the stack. Unchallenged, this is insane virtual card advantage by nullifying (or threatening to nullify) most cards in the opponent's hand because they will just get countered over and over again without you expending any cards yourself.

Why are we playing these separate combos together?
    UW Counterbalance Miracles was Tier 1 in Legacy for a long time. Counterbalance is such a busted card. The Sensei's Divining Top ban put a stop to that. Since Top's banning, UW Miracles was still strong but the Counterbalance lock wasn't nearly as busted because it was harder to sustain and easier to get through, and Counterbalance was what really pushed that deck over the top. Scroll Rack isn't as good as Top but can still set up many of the same shenanigans by manipulating Counterbalance, putting Miracles on top of your library, as well as drawing free cards with Land Tax.

Note that you can activate Scroll Rack in response to an enemy spell and put back 4 cards (3 lands + 1 other card on top), both setting up Counterbalance and drawing free cards from Land Tax. It doesn't have to be either-or. You can do both at once. With proper stack control and sequencing these two combos fit together well, enabling stack control and card advantage. Both can be good in winning the late game.

So why hasn't CounterRack Miracles taken off in Legacy? Scroll Rack is slower, more vulnerable, and more durdly than Top. Legacy is a tempo format, so it risks losses to fast decks. That's where I think the Energy Field + Rest in Peace combo complements it well. RiP/Field gives us tools to stop pressure from fast decks, while Counter/Rack and Tax/Rack give us tools to fight spell-based strategies, protect Rip/Field prison, and establish late game dominance. They fit together well. Rip/Field protects us while we set up other durdlier things, and the durdlier things protect Rip/Field as the game stalls out. We don't need to CB everything, as long as we can protect our prison and their Decays are torn between answering RiP/Field and answering CB. Sometimes the potential threat of each combo is enough.

All of this is tied together by extremely powerful and efficient card selection (4 Brainstorm, 4 Ponder, 3 ETutor, Scroll Rack) to let you assemble the pieces you need when you need them. Because you are tapping out to play permanents, free counters (6xForce) play a big role in both protecting your pieces and stopping opponent's early noncreature plays, especially vs combo and prison decks.

Playing the deck
    Like any control deck, the play pattern will come down to guessing what your opponent is on and then choosing the lane to stop their plan, using card selection tools to sculpt your hand in that direction.

Against an aggro player you want to jam Rip+Field as fast as possible and then protect it with counters. That will prevent them from winning, and then eventually you can pull ahead in cards and set up a win condition.

Against a control player, you want to jam Counterbalance or Tax-Rack, establish hand dominance, and then you'll be able to stick Helm having more protection than they have answers.

Against a combo player you use control pieces to fight their combo and Counterbalance should eventually win the stack if they try for a second wind.

This deck gets free edges against graveyard combos and graveyard engines by having maindeck graveyard hate. Lately the format has been full of control decks using graveyard value engines (Uro, Loam, Snapcaster, DHA before it was banned) so playing control on a different axis (enchantments instead of GY) both dodges the hate for those decks and hates out their engines.

Why this over traditional UW control
    Reactive 1-for-1 control loses to 2-for-1 control. Lately UGx and UBx control have been full of proactive 2-for-1 tools (Uro, Ice-Fang, Field of the Dead, Oko, Dreadhorde, Baleful Strix, Snapcaster-Hymn, Liliana). A reactive strategy (removal + counters) is going to run out of answers against strategies like that. Even when you answer it, they're ahead in cards, so eventually you run out of answers and they win. Instead of fighting the uphill battle of trying to answer each threat in a game where creatures are increasingly harder to answer, we set up our own proactive prison. Our prisons can represent 6-for-1s or better if they stick. Maindeck graveyard hate also weakens popular engines like Uro.

I originally brewed this when Oko/Uro was the dominant control deck. Enchantment-based proactive control with maindeck GY hate punked everything those decks were trying to do, which seemed like a more winning strategy than trying to react to a resolved Oko. But since Oko's ban we get back the power of Scroll Rack (with both CB and Land Tax), which open up other ways to establish degenerate lategame dominance. And we still hate out Uro.

I'm not claiming this is better than Miracles, but I think it's a fun deck that can attack the meta along different angles and pull out a lot of wins from the sheer power of these combos.

My current list looks like this. I think Laser Brains is right that stable mana is more important in this meta than the red splash for minor SB value (REB).

//Lands: 19
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Prismatic Vista
    2 Tundra
    5 Snow-Covered Island
    3 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Karakas

//Enchantments and Artifacts: 18
    2 Land Tax
    4 Rest in Peace
    3 Energy Field
    3 Counterbalance
    3 Scroll Rack
    1 Detention Sphere
    1 Court of Cunning
    1 Helm of Obedience

//Spells: 23
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Force of Negation
    2 Terminus

1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Web of Inertia
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Deafening Silence
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Detention Sphere
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Dovin's Veto
    1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity

Using Enlightened Tutor effectively
    I think ETutor is one of the most slept-on cards in Legacy and love playing with it. Vampiric Tutor and Mystical Tutor have been banned since the early days of the format for good reason. The ability to spend 1 mana at instant speed to access a wide range of powerful cards in your deck is very strong, even if it's card disadvantage. Most people who dismiss this card focus on the card disadvantage aspect. The key thing is that you don't spend ETutor to find a 1-for-1 answer or fair threat. ETutor for 1-for-1s will leave you with card disadvantage and losing at Magic. Even tutoring for a 2-for-1 is questionable play, because it will net out to card-neutral except you were committed to a specific sequence of cards just to get back to card parity.

The way to abuse ETutor is to look for combo wins and 6-for-1s. This deck is full of enchantment-artifact combos that threaten to provide insane virtual card advantage. Energy Field lock nullifies every creature on their board, in their hand, and in their deck. It's an even bigger card swing than a board wipe (which just answers the creatures on board). Counterbalance lock nullifies entire hands and draw steps. Land Tax + Scroll Rack draws 3 cards per turn. Helm reads "5: Win the game". These are things worth risking card disadvantage for, especially if you can assemble them and protect them with very little tempo cost (1 mana instant speed card selection + free counters).

The SB contains an ETutor package following that theme. Back to Basics can nullify whole manabases. Leyline of Sanctity proactively cancels discard, burn, and targeted combos. Deafening Silence hoses whole deck archetypes. Web of Inertia creates a lock similar to Energy Field. Engineered Explosives can be used to answer a single problem permanent if you really need it, but it can also wipe multiple things. We don't want cards like Seal of Cleansing because ETutoring for a 1-for-1 is a bad play. Detention Sphere is a better spot removal to lean on because at least it can potentially remove multiple things, it gets through both Chalice @ 1 and Chalice @ 2, it fills the 3 cmc gap on the CB curve.

2nd Helm is a backup win condition. In G2 they are more likely to play to fight over Helm, so it can help to have a 2nd in grindy matchups in case you miscalculated and lost the fight over the first one. Court of Cunning is a maindeck backup win condition that can be useful to win through hate like Pithing Needle, Karn, Teeg, Ouphe, etc. Court also draws you cards, pitches to Force, and fills the 3 spot on the CB curve.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by FistaCuffSmith View Post
    What about T3feri to help protect interaction or Karn to get helm if you need another one?

I’m going to try your list and I’ll give some feedback.
    Teferi, Time Raveler seems good in theory. I started with some in the deck. The problem is Energy Field doesn't protect him. So we either have to expend extra resources to protect him or he dies to creatures that are otherwise textless dead cards.

Karn suffers from the same problem.

We're really trying to leave the opponent with a bunch of dead cards by ignoring creature removal and not giving their creatures anything to attack or block.

Edit: 3feri might be good out of the SB to win beat counter-heavy spell decks. It's just awkward that he turns on their otherwise dead cards.

The OP lists in this thread are more focused on accelerating out the RiP+Helm combo in a semi-casual way. What Laser and I have built here is a bit different from that. It's more UW control with a combo finish (control-combo). Helm is just a compact noncreature "I Win" button taking up little deck space, that you can tutor or dig for when you're ready to finish.

This is my take on the deck and my motivations behind building it, but Laser may have other opinions as a player with more Parfait background.

Fundamentally this is a tap-out UW control based on proactive permanents instead of a reactive spells. UW control has been a dominant force in Magic for a long time, combining blue to control the stack and white to control the board. UW control can be either reactive (draw-go, holding up instant-speed answers) or proactive (tapping out to play permanents that establish control). This is a proactive version. The permanents assemble to form some useful combos that threaten to provide massive virtual card advantage if they stick. This forces the opponent to fight over your enchantments under the threat that you'll just take over the game otherwise. Because the permanents are artifacts and enchantments, you're exploiting the fact that most Legacy decks run very few answers to resolved enchantments. We proactively spam out more things than they can answer, protect them with counters, then use those engines to run away with the game. Once you've got the game locked up, Helm is an elegant 1-card "I win" button.

Reeplcheep's Curse Stompy decks fights the current meta along a similar angle: maindeck gravehate, proactive permanent-based prison, then playing a 1-card "I win" like Curse or Helm.

2-card Combos
    Rest in Peace + Energy Field: You can't take damage (although you can take life loss). RiP exiling cards turns off Energy Field's usual self-destruct. This combo makes most board states and win conditions completely irrelevant, forcing the opponent to divert from their game plan to answering this so they can actually do things. RiP also hates out a lot of GY-based value engines that are common right now.

Rest in Peace + Web of Inertia: A slight variation on RiP+Field, this one means your opponent can't turn creatures sideways (but does let you take other sources of damage, e.g. Lightning Bolt). Web is useful to stop "attacks" triggers on creatures like Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath and Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. Because this is more of a corner case, we only run 1 Web and in the SB. Most of the time Energy Field is better.

Rest in Peace + Helm of Obedience: With RiP out, Helm basically reads "5: Win the game". You want to get RiP out early for the other combos and for general grave hate. Then, when you're ready, you can go "5: Win the game". Ideally you want to get control first and have counters in hand to protect the combo, but you can goldfish out the combo if they're Hellbent. ETutor finds this at EOT or Upkeep for 1 mana so you can pull this out of nowhere pretty quickly.

Land Tax + Scroll Rack: If you have fewer lands in play than the opponent, Land Tax has "0: Put 3 lands in your hand. Shuffle". 1 mana to draw 3 cards is good, even better if it's repeatable. The drawback is that these cards are lands. Extra lands are usually redundant, and then you run out of lands in the deck and can't keep repeating. But Scroll Rack lets you put those 3 lands (and any other unwanted cards) back to draw fresh cards. Combined you're paying 1 mana to just draw 3 free random cards each turn. The lands go back to your library so Land Tax can find the same 3 lands again next turn, and Scroll Rack can convert them into 3 new cards again. Unchallenged this threatens to give you overwhelming card advantage in the late game and just bury the opponent. UW control drawing this many free cards is too much for most decks to handle.

Counterbalance + Scroll Rack: Similar to Counterbalance + Sensei's Divining Top, being able to pay 1 colorless mana to change the top card of your library at instant speed allows you to essentially have a repeatable "1, T: counter target spell". Counterbalance is a dumb card that completely dominates the stack. Unchallenged, this is insane virtual card advantage by nullifying (or threatening to nullify) most cards in the opponent's hand because they will just get countered over and over again without you expending any cards yourself.

Why are we playing these separate combos together?
    UW Counterbalance Miracles was Tier 1 in Legacy for a long time. Counterbalance is such a busted card. The Sensei's Divining Top ban put a stop to that. Since Top's banning, UW Miracles was still strong but the Counterbalance lock wasn't nearly as busted because it was harder to sustain and easier to get through, and Counterbalance was what really pushed that deck over the top. Scroll Rack isn't as good as Top but can still set up many of the same shenanigans by manipulating Counterbalance, putting Miracles on top of your library, as well as drawing free cards with Land Tax.

Note that you can activate Scroll Rack in response to an enemy spell and put back 4 cards (3 lands + 1 other card on top), both setting up Counterbalance and drawing free cards from Land Tax. It doesn't have to be either-or. You can do both at once. With proper stack control and sequencing these two combos fit together well, enabling stack control and card advantage. Both can be good in winning the late game.

So why hasn't CounterRack Miracles taken off in Legacy? Scroll Rack is slower, more vulnerable, and more durdly than Top. Legacy is a tempo format, so it risks losses to fast decks. That's where I think the Energy Field + Rest in Peace combo complements it well. RiP/Field gives us tools to stop pressure from fast decks, while Counter/Rack and Tax/Rack give us tools to fight spell-based strategies, protect Rip/Field prison, and establish late game dominance. They fit together well. Rip/Field protects us while we set up other durdlier things, and the durdlier things protect Rip/Field as the game stalls out. We don't need to CB everything, as long as we can protect our prison and their Decays are torn between answering RiP/Field and answering CB. Sometimes the potential threat of each combo is enough.

All of this is tied together by extremely powerful and efficient card selection (4 Brainstorm, 4 Ponder, 3 ETutor, Scroll Rack) to let you assemble the pieces you need when you need them. Because you are tapping out to play permanents, free counters (6xForce) play a big role in both protecting your pieces and stopping opponent's early noncreature plays, especially vs combo and prison decks.

Playing the deck
    Like any control deck, the play pattern will come down to guessing what your opponent is on and then choosing the lane to stop their plan, using card selection tools to sculpt your hand in that direction.

Against an aggro player you want to jam Rip+Field as fast as possible and then protect it with counters. That will prevent them from winning, and then eventually you can pull ahead in cards and set up a win condition.

Against a control player, you want to jam Counterbalance or Tax-Rack, establish hand dominance, and then you'll be able to stick Helm having more protection than they have answers.

Against a combo player you use control pieces to fight their combo and Counterbalance should eventually win the stack if they try for a second wind.

This deck gets free edges against graveyard combos and graveyard engines by having maindeck graveyard hate. Lately the format has been full of control decks using graveyard value engines (Uro, Loam, Snapcaster, DHA before it was banned) so playing control on a different axis (enchantments instead of GY) both dodges the hate for those decks and hates out their engines.

Why this over traditional UW control
    Reactive 1-for-1 control loses to 2-for-1 control. Lately UGx and UBx control have been full of proactive 2-for-1 tools (Uro, Ice-Fang, Field of the Dead, Oko, Dreadhorde, Baleful Strix, Snapcaster-Hymn, Liliana). A reactive strategy (removal + counters) is going to run out of answers against strategies like that. Even when you answer it, they're ahead in cards, so eventually you run out of answers and they win. Instead of fighting the uphill battle of trying to answer each threat in a game where creatures are increasingly harder to answer, we set up our own proactive prison. Our prisons can represent 6-for-1s or better if they stick. Maindeck graveyard hate also weakens popular engines like Uro.

I originally brewed this when Oko/Uro was the dominant control deck. Enchantment-based proactive control with maindeck GY hate punked everything those decks were trying to do, which seemed like a more winning strategy than trying to react to a resolved Oko. But since Oko's ban we get back the power of Scroll Rack (with both CB and Land Tax), which open up other ways to establish degenerate lategame dominance. And we still hate out Uro.

I'm not claiming this is better than Miracles, but I think it's a fun deck that can attack the meta along different angles and pull out a lot of wins from the sheer power of these combos.

My current list looks like this. I think Laser Brains is right that stable mana is more important in this meta than the red splash for minor SB value (REB).

//Lands: 19
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Prismatic Vista
    2 Tundra
    5 Snow-Covered Island
    3 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Karakas

//Enchantments and Artifacts: 18
    2 Land Tax
    4 Rest in Peace
    3 Energy Field
    3 Counterbalance
    3 Scroll Rack
    1 Detention Sphere
    1 Court of Cunning
    1 Helm of Obedience

//Spells: 23
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Force of Negation
    2 Terminus

1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Web of Inertia
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Deafening Silence
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Detention Sphere
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Dovin's Veto
    1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity

Using Enlightened Tutor effectively
    I think ETutor is one of the most slept-on cards in Legacy and love playing with it. Vampiric Tutor and Mystical Tutor have been banned since the early days of the format for good reason. The ability to spend 1 mana at instant speed to access a wide range of powerful cards in your deck is very strong, even if it's card disadvantage. Most people who dismiss this card focus on the card disadvantage aspect. The key thing is that you don't spend ETutor to find a 1-for-1 answer or fair threat. ETutor for 1-for-1s will leave you with card disadvantage and losing at Magic. Even tutoring for a 2-for-1 is questionable play, because it will net out to card-neutral except you were committed to a specific sequence of cards just to get back to card parity.

The way to abuse ETutor is to look for combo wins and 6-for-1s. This deck is full of enchantment-artifact combos that threaten to provide insane virtual card advantage. Energy Field lock nullifies every creature on their board, in their hand, and in their deck. It's an even bigger card swing than a board wipe (which just answers the creatures on board). Counterbalance lock nullifies entire hands and draw steps. Land Tax + Scroll Rack draws 3 cards per turn. Helm reads "5: Win the game". These are things worth risking card disadvantage for, especially if you can assemble them and protect them with very little tempo cost (1 mana instant speed card selection + free counters).

The SB contains an ETutor package following that theme. Back to Basics can nullify whole manabases. Leyline of Sanctity proactively cancels discard, burn, and targeted combos. Deafening Silence hoses whole deck archetypes. Web of Inertia creates a lock similar to Energy Field. Engineered Explosives can be used to answer a single problem permanent if you really need it, but it can also wipe multiple things. We don't want cards like Seal of Cleansing because ETutoring for a 1-for-1 is a bad play. Detention Sphere is a better spot removal to lean on because at least it can potentially remove multiple things, it gets through both Chalice @ 1 and Chalice @ 2, it fills the 3 cmc gap on the CB curve.

2nd Helm is a backup win condition. In G2 they are more likely to play to fight over Helm, so it can help to have a 2nd in grindy matchups in case you miscalculated and lost the fight over the first one. Court of Cunning is a maindeck backup win condition that can be useful to win through hate like Pithing Needle, Karn, Teeg, Ouphe, etc. Court also draws you cards, pitches to Force, and fills the 3 spot on the CB curve.

Wow, so much information to digest. Thanks for such a detailed response. I am fairly new to actually playing legacy, but this combo gives me fond memories. I played one match against maverick and got beat pretty handily. However, I did establish tax and scroll and it started to make sense. I plan on playing some more matches tonight. I will report back.

@FTW: New list looks tight! Sideboard looks really good too. I literally have the entire deck in paper and it is a beaut! I do need to pick up a few more of the sideboard cards like Hall of Heliod's Generosity, a 2nd Helm and Back to Basics. I'll be playing this, with sideboard, on Friday and give a report with stats.

Great deck break-down too. Could be the start of a primer.

If you decide to play this on MTGO I'd be really curious to see how it does. I'd like to take this to a paper event but because of Coronavirus Magic isn't quite the Gathering that it used to be. Once things hopefully get back to normal I will be taking it to an event.

Thread Information