Page 46 of 133 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] BUG "Shardless" Control

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Re: [DTB] BUG "Shardless" Control

SCG forcing the name of the deck to be Shardless Sultai..... lame....

So I recently took this list to an unknown meta (just moved, new store), wanted to do a quick write-up:

4x Deathrite Shaman
    2x Baleful Strix
    4x Tarmogoyf
    4x Shardless Agent

4x Abrupt Decay
    2x Hymn to Tourach
    2x Thoughtseize
    1x Toxic Deluge
    3x Force of Will
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Ancestral Visions

2x Liliana of the Veil
    2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

3x Misty Rainforest
    3x Polluted Delta
    3x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Bayou
    2x Tropical Island
    3x Underground Sea
    1x Swamp
    2x Creeping Tar Pit
    2x Wasteland

Sideboard:
    2x Disfigure
    1x Force of Will
    1x Golgari Charm
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Hymn to Tourach
    1x Maelstrom Pulse
    2x Nihil Spellbomb
    1x Null Rod
    1x Pithing Needle
    2x Spell Pierce (under consideration: 2x Chill, some combo of Hymn/Thoughtseize/Lili)
    1x Thoughtseize
    1x Toxic Deluge

Round 1: Death and Taxes (2-0)
    Boarded in- 2x Disfigure, 1x Maelstrom Pulse, 1x Null Rod, 1x Thoughtseize, 1x Toxic Deluge
    Boarded out- 3x Force of Will, 1x Liliana of the Veil, 2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

I'm still messing with my SB plan here. You can make a case for adding in the Charm, 3rd Hymn, 3rd Thoughtseize, or Needle, but the only card I'd really want to cut is the 2nd Lili and even then, I only really want the 3rd Thoughtseize. I'll keep messing with this split though, feedback from you guys is very welcome!

Round 2: Mono-Red Sneak (1-2)
    Boarded in- 1x Force of Will, 1x Hymn, 1x Maelstrom, 1x Null Rod, 1x Pithing Needle, 2x Spell Pierce, 1x Thoughtseize
    Boarded out- 4x Abrupt Decay, 4x Ancestral Visions

This deck was pretty brutal, he played 4 maindeck Blood Moon, Chalice, and Revoker, as well as 3 boarded Trinisphere's. Usual wincon of Sneak Attack and Grisel/Emmy. Lost G1 to a T1 Chalice on 1, Turn 2 Blood Moon, Turn 3 Chalice on 2 (GG, on to boarded games). Game 2 the discard overload worked fine, ripped apart his hand and beat him down with creatures. G3 was very similar to G1 with a trinisphere on T3 instead, basically no way to come back from that. My takehome lesson here is that I really feel Spell Pierce is underpowered from the SB, I rarely find myself wanting to not tap out and I'd rather just pull a Thoughtseize, Hymn, or another Liliana.

Round 3: BUG Bogles Jank (2-0)
    Boarded in- 2x Disfigure, 1x Toxic Deluge
    Boarded out- 3x Force of Will

This poor guy had never played a legacy event before, and came with unsleeved cards, guildgates, and some other things (had never heard of Brainstorm before). Basically he played a handful of hexproof creatures, Champion of Lambholt, some trample aura, and some unblockable enchants and tried to push in combat damage with stuff like Primordial Hydra. The games weren't particularly close, so I gave him some tips on how to improve and felt really bad for sideboarding.

Round 4: Burn (2-1)
    Boarded in- 1x Force of Will, 1x Hymn
    Boarded out- 2x Thoughtseize

I think I sideboarded this one wrong, but was still able to pull out a win in close spots. I should probably remove both Jace's (as getting to 4 mana vs a PoP deck is reaaallly scary) and put in the two Spellbombs to clear the GY for Grim Lavamancer. Force felt ridiculously good in this matchup, as the Visions package was still around to regain lost cards and being able to snipe a really scary spell for 1 life and 2 cards was insane.

All in all, pretty good day. I think I'm going to turn my two Spell Pierce SB into 2 Chills for my next event/GPTs coming up. Little bit of excitement around that new Red Khans 1-drop after Bob Huang topped with U/R Delver. Also, does anyone play Shardless online? I've heard it's a lot of burn and combo decks, so the Chill SB should come in handy then too, and I'd love to test a 75 that I'll be taking to a tournament. Not nearly enough Legacy in my area to give me the practice I'm wanting, so I figured MTGO is the next "best" thing . Thanks for reading!
    Current Legacy Decks:
    Shardless BUG

Retired:
    UWr Miracles
    RUG/BUG Delver
    Ad Nauseam Tendrils

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

This deck is very well positioned right now since it crushed Delver decks in general. Tested cruise delver against BUG Shardless and BUG Shardless is still the overwhelming card advantage king since pretty much every card generates advantage while Delver only has cruise and actually loses speed to accommodate cruises.

I have found exactly the opposite. Shardless bug is now dead, UR delver is faster and has a ton of card advantage with TreasureCruise at least as much as BUGshardless (even more in testing),
    has access to blood moon to punish you and PoP.
    Though it seems that playing ourselves 3 TC might be a good idea and change the matchup
    Last edited by adrieng; 10-03-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Ur was already a hard matchup as it was ultimately more of a burn/aggro strategy than a tempo one

One deck =\= shardless being dead
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

All in all, pretty good day. I think I'm going to turn my two Spell Pierce SB into 2 Chills for my next event/GPTs coming up. Little bit of excitement around that new Red Khans 1-ur Bob Huang topped with U/R Delver. Also, does anyone play Shardless online? I've heard it's a lot of burn and combo decks, so the Chill SB should come in handy then too, and I'd love to test a 75 that I'll be taking to a tournament. Not nearly enough Legacy in my area to give me the practice I'm wanting, so I figured MTGO is the next "best" thing . Thanks for reading!
    You can always play on cockatrice (pretty expensive to buy into shardless in a meta dominated by burn). That being said, the play is way tighter on MTGO and there are plenty of elves and miracles to prey upon.

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    You can always play on cockatrice (pretty expensive to buy into shardless in a meta dominated by burn). That being said, the play is way tighter on MTGO and there are plenty of elves and miracles to prey upon.
    Is this real life? How can say Shardless is the deck to prey on Elves? Miracles yes. But ELVES.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I was referring more to Tempo Delver like UWR OR BUG. Ur is more similar to burn which is a terrible matchup.

Have any of you guys played against the newer UR treasure cruise/Swiftspear Deck?

I played against it in a mtgo daily last night and it seems like an awful match-up. I managed to win game three after he/she bricked like 6 turns in a row with me at 3 life.

If this deck is a real thing I was thinking of switching up my sideboard. I already run one Blue Elemental blast for mono-red, so I was thinking maybe a Zuran Orb or something to slow Price of progress down. Any thoughts on what you guys do? Mono Red is always a rough one and this deck seems really similar.

Jun 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by sealab2021 View Post
    Have any of you guys played against the newer UR treasure cruise/Swiftspear Deck?

I played against it in a mtgo daily last night and it seems like an awful match-up. I managed to win game three after he/she bricked like 6 turns in a row with me at 3 life.

If this deck is a real thing I was thinking of switching up my sideboard. I already run one Blue Elemental blast for mono-red, so I was thinking maybe a Zuran Orb or something to slow Price of progress down. Any thoughts on what you guys do? Mono Red is always a rough one and this deck seems really similar.
    You could play Circle of Protection: Red actually, especially if you play with meddling mage-board (board in Savannah). It's both a cascade target and pretty castable with DRS. Have not tested that though. Chill seems pretty good too?

Quote Originally Posted by LarsLeif View Post
    You could play Circle of Protection: Red actually, especially if you play with meddling mage-board (board in Savannah). It's both a cascade target and pretty castable with DRS. Have not tested that though. Chill seems pretty good too?
    Chill is very good, I play almost exclusively on MTGO now and I pack 2 sideboard. That matchup is still rough, as they usually have some number of REB effects they bring in SB and it's just a very lean, efficient deck. Here's how I usually sideboard (full list is in my sig):

In: 2x Chill, 1 FoW (up to the full 4), 1 Hymn (up to max 3), 2x Disfigure, 1x Maelstrom Pulse
    Out: 2x Thoughtseize, 1x Toxic Deluge, 2x Jace, 2x Ancestral

I'm thinking of adding in one Blue Elemental Blast sideboard as its very strong against Burn, UR Delver and has some splash hate for Sneak & Show, Painter, and random Blood Moon decks.
    Current Legacy Decks:
    Shardless BUG

Retired:
    UWr Miracles
    RUG/BUG Delver
    Ad Nauseam Tendrils

Jun 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeff View Post
    Chill is very good, I play almost exclusively on MTGO now and I pack 2 sideboard. That matchup is still rough, as they usually have some number of REB effects they bring in SB and it's just a very lean, efficient deck. Here's how I usually sideboard (full list is in my sig):

In: 2x Chill, 1 FoW (up to the full 4), 1 Hymn (up to max 3), 2x Disfigure, 1x Maelstrom Pulse
    Out: 2x Thoughtseize, 1x Toxic Deluge, 2x Jace, 2x Ancestral

I'm thinking of adding in one Blue Elemental Blast sideboard as its very strong against Burn, UR Delver and has some splash hate for Sneak & Show, Painter, and random Blood Moon decks.
    I guess BEB is decent, I personally do not (with strong emphasis on not) like reactive spells below cmc 3 in shardless, probably the 3:d chill is better? Or Scavenging Ooze/Sun Droplet?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I've never used droplet for fear of Smash2S. It might be fine if you go for discard and then get a Droplet or have a counterspell in hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Do you really think someone would side in a smash against your droplet and two main deck artifacts?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Strix is an artifact, Shardless is an artifact; from that perspective it is 2. From the perspective that 10% of your deck is artifacts and you're really really likely to have one (especially after cantrips)..it's not ludicrous that they would have it.

Droplet seems fine, I'm just pointing out that if your hate is weak to Burn's sideboard strategy (which probably includes some number of smash; but maybe not) then your hate has less chance of working. Chill always works. I'm not a shardless player at the moment, but it happens to SFM decks for the same reason, hence you run an enchantment or creatures that hate on them (so they have to waste spells.)

EDIT: By "really really" i apparently mean 60% by your first natural draw, 72% if you use a cantrip and believe that the artifact creature is helpful to you; this is before including additional artifacts from the side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

I understand what are you are saying, but what are they siding out for 3 s2s? I feel like both searing blaze and searing blood are way better against you. This is why I hesitate to play a sideboard ooze.

I am thinking of going with a Zuran orb, because Pop is so insane against us, and the one sideboard Blue blast. Still going to be a rough one either way.

How has everybody been siding against miracles? I've been toying around today with the idea of no discard, going something like this:

In: 1x Force (up to 4), 1x Maelstrom Pulse, 1x Null Rod, 1x Pithing Needle
    Out: 2x Thoughtseize, 2x Hymn

This is obviously for the non-SFM decks, but Miracles always seems to be able to power out of early discard using Top/Brainstorm/Ponder and discard is a terrible lategame topdeck. A lot of people seem to struggle with the metagaming aspect of leaving Abrupt Decay in if they're siding out Counterbalance, but it can still kill a top during its activation, kills Clique and Snap, and can take out an angel token off of Entreat at instant speed with uncounterability. Oh...and it also kills Blood Moon. The only thing it doesn't kill is Venser and Jace, but oh well. Sure way to stop a Venser is by Waste'ing their Karakas and Pithing Needle stops Jace (and Pulse in a pinch, but I REALLY like trying to save that for the Entreat tokens). Anyone have thoughts?
    Current Legacy Decks:
    Shardless BUG

Retired:
    UWr Miracles
    RUG/BUG Delver
    Ad Nauseam Tendrils

Aug 2014
    Coeur d Alene, ID

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeff View Post
    How has everybody been siding against miracles? I've been toying around today with the idea of no discard, going something like this:

In: 1x Force (up to 4), 1x Maelstrom Pulse, 1x Null Rod, 1x Pithing Needle
    Out: 2x Thoughtseize, 2x Hymn

This is obviously for the non-SFM decks, but Miracles always seems to be able to power out of early discard using Top/Brainstorm/Ponder and discard is a terrible lategame topdeck. A lot of people seem to struggle with the metagaming aspect of leaving Abrupt Decay in if they're siding out Counterbalance, but it can still kill a top during its activation, kills Clique and Snap, and can take out an angel token off of Entreat at instant speed with uncounterability. Oh...and it also kills Blood Moon. The only thing it doesn't kill is Venser and Jace, but oh well. Sure way to stop a Venser is by Waste'ing their Karakas and Pithing Needle stops Jace (and Pulse in a pinch, but I REALLY like trying to save that for the Entreat tokens). Anyone have thoughts?
    A good miracles player will only play entreat at eot making your pulse dead. My plan is to board one abrupt out of you feel confident that counterbalance is out. I think hymn is pretty poor unless it hits all their lands, and the potential for misdirection to blow you out is huge with hymn. I like thoughtseize though. Helps you resolve spells like jace and vision. Needle it's fantastic in this matchup. One of the best cards is sylvan library. I've been playing one main and outs been phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgmafia View Post
    A good miracles player will only play entreat at eot making your pulse dead. My plan is to board one abrupt out of you feel confident that counterbalance is out. I think hymn is pretty poor unless it hits all their lands, and the potential for misdirection to blow you out is huge with hymn. I like thoughtseize though. Helps you resolve spells like jace and vision. Needle it's fantastic in this matchup. One of the best cards is sylvan library. I've been playing one main and outs been phenomenal.
    I disagree about pulse being dead, sure a lot of times it will not be able to hit Angels but it does have it's uses in the match up. A 5th way to kill a counterbalance, not as good as Decay but it has a pretty good chance of resolving through CB. Killing Jace, it also has some more uses depending on your other permanents, if you have null rod on the board sorcery speed entreats become more common, or combined with Jace will allow you the chance to fateseal a top. I don't think the card is amazing in the match up by any stretch but I would not leave it in the board.

Sorry for a not very contributive post, but I am rather curious to know what future awaits for this archetype as I have been meaning to build it and now it seems that Treasure Cruise has made this deck at least a little inferior to others. So, will this deck remain a tier 1?

Also, maybe it would not hurt to pack a TC or two?

Thread Information