Page 90 of 133 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 2653

Thread: [Deck] BUG "Shardless" Control

Re: [DTB] BUG "Shardless" Control

When I'm bringing in Meddling Mage against elves what are my priority cards to name? I'm guessing my order of priority would be something like Natural Order, Glimpse of Nature, GSZ? Or am I not that worried about Glimpse?

Dec 2015
    Madrid-Spain

Just wanted t make some comments on @ironclad advice regarding side boarding, the main reason I disagree is on leaving AV in most of the combo or aggro MUs:

- Against miracles I would leave all the hyms, its one of the best cards we have against them and can win you games. I used to play miracles and is with disadvantage how you lose.

-Eldrazi, im not sure if jitte is enough to justify the null rod inclusion.

-Against BUG delver siding out fow is the most common approach. However, @Goddik, a good player (top 16 at gp and 2 at bom) mentions in the bug delver thread that he would rather leave fows to counter deathrite if he played shardless so I will take his advice seriously.

-Against D&t I would rather leave jtms and not bring vendilion, jace helps against the only card in the deck that can win the game on its own and playing with vendilion against a deck that plays 4-3 karakas main can be tricky.

-ANT, i like what you bring in but I dont think siding out tarmo is a good idea, its the best way to close the game, I would rather side out AV. Do you really get to cast AV against all this combo MU? I think they are too slow.

-Reanimator and elves,the same as before, they are combo decks and AV is probably too slow against them, specially elves where hymn can be a really powerfull card.

-infect, despite being to slow maelstrom is a removal and in my opinion should stay main over the AV

Overall I think AV is a great card but is just justified against grinding decks. Against fast aggro and fast combo decks it can only be good cascaded with shardless. This is my opinion and if people leave is probably because they have good results.

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    [cards]

Miracles:

IN: 1 Pithing Needle, 1 Null Rod, 1 Sylvan Library, 1 Vendilion Clique
    OUT: 1 Hymn to Tourach, 2 Baleful Strix, 1 Deathrite Shaman

Eldrazi:

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Sylvan Library, 1 Null Rod, 1 Pithing Needle
    OUT: 4 Force of Will
    I am also sceptical of taking out hymn and DRS against Miracles, DRS is so good versus their Snapcaster plan and Hymn is often really devastating if they don't have Spell pierce or are tapped out. Unfortunately I don't have any other recommendations in your list :) Maybe 1 Lili, 1 Wasteland

What do you need the Null Rod for against Eldrazi? Taking out Force seems risky to me as a well timed force on TKS, Smasher on Endbringer can win the game.

Went to a local even with about 18 people.
    Had my worst showing ever (getting over head cold may also contribute)
    Went 1-2-1
    Round 1: high tide - I've never played against it but both games I get him to about 6 then he combos off during my combat. 0-2
    Round 2: miracles - head cold went into over drive and couldn't think. Eventually went to tI me in game 3. 0-0-1
    Round 3: bye -finally got my win haha
    Round 4: ANT - game one I Humm him to 1 card. He play sensies top and eventually gets what he needs. Game 2 I had turn 1 pithing on LED didn't matter. He still got me. 0-2

All in all I was very sad. I haven't been having the best of luck lately which has caused me to ponder the idea of going to punching jund. Then at least I can beat the infect guy I play with

Quote Originally Posted by Whit3boy316 View Post
    Went to a local even with about 18 people.
    Had my worst showing ever (getting over head cold may also contribute)
    Went 1-2-1
    Round 1: high tide - I've never played against it but both games I get him to about 6 then he combos off during my combat. 0-2
    Round 2: miracles - head cold went into over drive and couldn't think. Eventually went to tI me in game 3. 0-0-1
    Round 3: bye -finally got my win haha
    Round 4: ANT - game one I Humm him to 1 card. He play sensies top and eventually gets what he needs. Game 2 I had turn 1 pithing on LED didn't matter. He still got me. 0-2

All in all I was very sad. I haven't been having the best of luck lately which has caused me to ponder the idea of going to punching jund. Then at least I can beat the infect guy I play with
    Needle on LED does indeed not matter at any time as he can still use it to create mana.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by funkymankevx View Post
    When I'm bringing in Meddling Mage against elves what are my priority cards to name? I'm guessing my order of priority would be something like Natural Order, Glimpse of Nature, GSZ? Or am I not that worried about Glimpse?
    If you have him low on creatures (especially if you have a Liliana with counters), name Glimpse of Nature. If he has a couple of creatures on board and you are lacking countermagic, name Natural Order. If you have a Grafdigger's Cage it can be worth it to name Abrupt Decay or Craterhoof Behemoth (depending on how much mana they have).

Quote Originally Posted by surface33 View Post
    Just wanted t make some comments on @ironclad advice regarding side boarding, the main reason I disagree is on leaving AV in most of the combo or aggro MUs:

- Against miracles I would leave all the hyms, its one of the best cards we have against them and can win you games. I used to play miracles and is with disadvantage how you lose.

-Eldrazi, im not sure if jitte is enough to justify the null rod inclusion.

-Against BUG delver siding out fow is the most common approach. However, @Goddik, a good player (top 16 at gp and 2 at bom) mentions in the bug delver thread that he would rather leave fows to counter deathrite if he played shardless so I will take his advice seriously.

-Against D&t I would rather leave jtms and not bring vendilion, jace helps against the only card in the deck that can win the game on its own and playing with vendilion against a deck that plays 4-3 karakas main can be tricky.

-ANT, i like what you bring in but I dont think siding out tarmo is a good idea, its the best way to close the game, I would rather side out AV. Do you really get to cast AV against all this combo MU? I think they are too slow.

-Reanimator and elves,the same as before, they are combo decks and AV is probably too slow against them, specially elves where hymn can be a really powerfull card.

-infect, despite being to slow maelstrom is a removal and in my opinion should stay main over the AV

Overall I think AV is a great card but is just justified against grinding decks. Against fast aggro and fast combo decks it can only be good cascaded with shardless. This is my opinion and if people leave is probably because they have good results.
    The main reason I leave Ancestral Vision in is to keep my blue count as high as possible for FoW. I will often not even suspend them in case I draw into a Force of Will. Having less than 18 U cards is super less than ideal, and I try to even increase from that number (that is why I cut things that aren't blue in combo matchups).

I board out 1 Hymn to Tourach vs Miracles because 3 feels too high to me, Hymn is very good but there are times when you will draw it and they are playing off the top and it is just dead. That is just my personal choice, it doesn't work for everyone.

Eldrazi lists have been popping up with Jitte, Ratchet Bomb, Basilisk Collar, Helm+Leyline combo in sideboard. I would rather have a card that proactively answers Jitte than a FoW because it seems like they always have Cavern and you want to use wastelands on Eye and Temple.

BUG Delver I could see leaving FOW, in fact against any deck "faster" than us I could see it. The way I see it tough, all the blue cards in the deck that aren't FOW I would rather cast than exile. This is oddly not true for me in the blade matchups.

Yeah, Clique might not be worth it vs D&T, it has been good for me as a flier that can trade with a Serra Avenger & Flickerwisp or in response to Stoneforge activation, but the Karakas do sort of make it suck. Usually they don't leave up Karakas for combat phase vs us.

I think tapping out for Tarmogoyfs is not something you want to be doing more than 1 time in any given ANT game, and Meddling Mage doubles as a threat AND disruption in this style of list. Just my opinion. ANT and Reanimator I leave AV to keep U count high.

Maelstrom Pulse might be worth it to leave in against Infect, 3 mana sorcery speed can be too slow though.

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    I am also sceptical of taking out hymn and DRS against Miracles, DRS is so good versus their Snapcaster plan and Hymn is often really devastating if they don't have Spell pierce or are tapped out. Unfortunately I don't have any other recommendations in your list :) Maybe 1 Lili, 1 Wasteland

What do you need the Null Rod for against Eldrazi? Taking out Force seems risky to me as a well timed force on TKS, Smasher on Endbringer can win the game.
    They usually bring in Ratchet Bomb, between that and Jitte I like to turn them off. I find they have Cavern pretty reliably, but siding out Force may be incorrect. You definitely want the Hymns though, they don't get to cast Reality Smasher before you Hymn them in most cases. Everytime a Reality Smasher gets Hymned out of an Eldrazi player's hand, an angel gets it's wings.

Dec 2015
    Madrid-Spain

The main reason I leave Ancestral Vision in is to keep my blue count as high as possible for FoW. I will often not even suspend them in case I draw into a Force of Will. Having less than 18 U cards is super less than ideal, and I try to even increase from that number (that is why I cut things that aren't blue in combo matchups).

I board out 1 Hymn to Tourach vs Miracles because 3 feels too high to me, Hymn is very good but there are times when you will draw it and they are playing off the top and it is just dead. That is just my personal choice, it doesn't work for everyone.

Eldrazi lists have been popping up with Jitte, Ratchet Bomb, Basilisk Collar, Helm+Leyline combo in sideboard. I would rather have a card that proactively answers Jitte than a FoW because it seems like they always have Cavern and you want to use wastelands on Eye and Temple.

BUG Delver I could see leaving FOW, in fact against any deck "faster" than us I could see it. The way I see it tough, all the blue cards in the deck that aren't FOW I would rather cast than exile. This is oddly not true for me in the blade matchups.

Yeah, Clique might not be worth it vs D&T, it has been good for me as a flier that can trade with a Serra Avenger & Flickerwisp or in response to Stoneforge activation, but the Karakas do sort of make it suck. Usually they don't leave up Karakas for combat phase vs us.

I think tapping out for Tarmogoyfs is not something you want to be doing more than 1 time in any given ANT game, and Meddling Mage doubles as a threat AND disruption in this style of list. Just my opinion. ANT and Reanimator I leave AV to keep U count high.

Maelstrom Pulse might be worth it to leave in against Infect, 3 mana sorcery speed can be too slow though.

I think you make valid points, I just wanted to give another angle on sideboarding. I would strongly recommend leaving all the hymns against miracles tho

Also what do you guys think of dead weight? I am 99% sure its worst than desfigure in general, but it seems much better when you cascade into it, it increases goyf account by two and its not a a dead card when the opponent has creatures with +2 resistance. The instant speed might be too important, I dont know.

Mar 2009

I like your angles too :)

Went 5-0 last night!

UR Painter 2-0
    Belcher 2-0
    BUG Control (TNN Strix) 2-0
    Eldrazi 2-0 (stabilized at 4 life g1 and 3 life g2)
    Deadguy Ale 2-1 (was sweating after g1 loss but 5 for 1 toxic deluge in g3 was the turning point)

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

The most expensive deck in Legacy just got more expensive. Congrats!
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Dec 2015
    Madrid-Spain

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    The most expensive deck in Legacy just got more expensive. Congrats!
    I was so lucky finally picking up my foil AVs last week, now i have 8 of them

Any thoughts on dead weight?

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Don't play it? I realise it grows goyf, but just play Disfigure instead if you want this effect, being an instant is leagues ahead of +1+1 for the goofs.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

I was so lucky finally picking up my foil AVs last week, now i have 8 of them

I passed on an eng foil for 50$ and jap foil for 95$ in the last weeks, that would have been number 3 and 4. Pretty dissapointed now :(

But lets see where the price will settle after the hype, funny how many people were obviously holding back their visions when you look at the mcm offerings

2 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Shardless Agent
    4 Tarmogoyf

4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will

1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Toxic Deluge
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Ancestral Vision

1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Liliana of the Veil

1 Forest
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Swamp
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Bayou
    2 Creeping Tar Pit
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Disfigure
    1 Submerge
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    3 Meddling Mage
    1 Null Rod
    1 Scrubland
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Vendilion Clique

Here is how I would board vs some popular decks (in order of popularity on MTGGoldfish):

Miracles:

IN: 1 Pithing Needle, 1 Null Rod, 1 Sylvan Library, 1 Vendilion Clique
    OUT: 1 Hymn to Tourach, 2 Baleful Strix, 1 Deathrite Shaman

Eldrazi:

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Sylvan Library, 1 Null Rod, 1 Pithing Needle

Shardless Mirror

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Sylvan Library, 1 Vendilion Clique, 1 Submerge

Grixis Delver:

IN: 1 Goglari Charm, 1 Disfigure, 1 Scrubland, 1 Vendilion Clique
    OUT: 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, 3 Hymn to Tourach

BUG Delver (Hymn version):

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Submerge, 1 Sylvan Library, 1 Vendilion Clique

BUG Delver (Stifle):

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Submerge, 1 Sylvan Library, 1 Golgari Charm (if Dark Confidant/TNN), 1 Scrubland, 1 Vendilion Clique
    Out: 3 Hymn to Tourach, 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, 2 Ancestral Vision

Burn:

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Vendilion Clique
    OUT: 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, 1 Toxic Deluge

Death and Taxes:

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Golgari Charm, 1 Sylvan Library, 1 Vendilion Clique, 1 Scrubland, 1 Pithing Needle, 1 Null Rod, 2 Thoughtseize
    OUT: 3 Hymn to Tourach, 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, 4 Force of Will, 1 Tarmogoyf

Lands (RG Combo):

IN: 1 Pithing Needle, 1 Submerge, 3 Meddling Mage, 1 Scrubland, 1 Surgical Extraction, 1 Vendilion Clique
    OUT: 2 Abrupt Decay, 3 Hymn to Tourach, 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, 1 Toxic Deluge, 1 Maelstrom Pulse

Bant Stoneblade:

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Golgari Charm, 1 Vendilion Clique, 1 Null Rod, 1 Pithing Needle, 1 Submerge, 1 Sylvan Library
    OUT: 3 Hymn to Tourach, 2 Baleful Strix, 1 Tarmogoyf, 1 Ancestral Vision

Deathblade:

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Golgari Charm, 1 Vendilion Clique, 1 Null Rod, 1 Pithing Needle, 1 Sylvan Library
    OUT: 3 Hymn to Tourach, 2 Baleful Strix, 1 Tarmogoyf

ANT:

IN: 1 Scrubland, 3 Meddling Mage, 1 Vendilion Clique, 1 Golgari Charm, 1 Grafdigger's Cage, 1 Surgical Extraction, 1 Null Rod, 2 Thoughtseize
    OUT: 1 Creeping Tar Pit, 4 Tarmogoyf, 2 Baleful Strix, 4 Abrupt Decay

Dredge:

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Grafdigger's Cage, 1 Null Rod, 2 Thoughtseize, 1 Surgical Extraction
    OUT: 3 Hymn to Tourach, 2 Liliana of the Veil, 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Reanimator:

IN: 1 Pithing Needle, 1 Grafdigger's Cage, 1 Scrubland, 3 Meddling Mage, 1 Surgical Extraction, 2 Thoughtseize, 1 Vendilion Clique
    OUT: 2 Tarmogoyf, 4 Abrupt Decay, 3 Hymn to Tourach, 1 Creeping Tar Pit

Infect:

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Golgari Charm, 1 Submerge, 1 Pithing Needle, 2 Thoughtseize, 1 Vendilion Clique
    OUT: 2 Tarmogoyf, 1 Maelstrom Pulse, 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, 2 Hymn to Tourach, 1 Ancestral Vision

Elves:

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Submerge, 1 Golgari Charm, 1 Pithing Needle, 1 Grafdigger's Cage, 1 Scrubland, 3 Meddling Mage
    OUT: 3 Hymn to Tourach, 2 Baleful Strix, 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, 2 Tarmogoyf, 1 Creeping Tar Pit

Let me know if you are interested in any other matchups. Some people prefer to leave Hymn to Tourachs in the fair matchups like Blade/Bant and instead board out some number of Force of Will. Also, some people like Meddling Mage vs Dredge, but I think naming Cabal Therapy or Dread Return is too cute. Also, some people leave some number of Hymn to Tourach in vs Reanimator, but I am not a fan.

At the end of the day, trust your intuition. This is how I would board, but there are actually many different ways of sideboarding with this deck and as long as you have a good reason to leave in/take out/board in a card go with your gut.
    What would you suggest for the Maverick match up? Would it be similar to D & T?

Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by funkymankevx View Post
    What would you suggest for the Maverick match up? Would it be similar to D & T?
    Here is what I would do:

IN: 1 Disfigure, 1 Submerge, 1 Golgari Charm, 1 Null Rod, 1 Pithing Needle
    OUT: 4 Force of Will, 1 Hymn to Tourach

They don't have Wilt-Leaf usually, so Hymn is less likely to blow you out.

Why Submerge? That card seems terrible in Shardless. Non-BUG delver only plays it because they need an answer to Goyf but Shardless is chock full of cards that kill Goyf.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    Why Submerge? That card seems terrible in Shardless. Non-BUG delver only plays it because they need an answer to Goyf but Shardless is chock full of cards that kill Goyf.
    Against lands I would assume.

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    Against lands I would assume.
    Ah yeah, that's a good point. God that seems drastic though. I'd like to hear from ironclad about how its been then (assuming you've actually had a chance to use it). Specifically, did Submerging Marit Lage directly win you the game, as opposed to buying you a turn while the lands player Loams and replays the sacrificed lands.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Yeah it buys you a turn unless you have a DRS up and running which is taking care of Life from the Loam. If that happens to be the case, it could very well buy you the game.

Mar 2009

Funkmankevx wanted to played the submerge. I personally play the 2nd disfigure in that slot. I have never tried submerge before, but I have to imagine it's better than some of the stuff you are taking out. If you have a drs that hasnt bit the dust it could be game breaking.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Set Adrift is at least worth considering if you're interested in the Submerge effect. It's castable off of DRS if you don't have an Island (this is relevant against good Lands players) or castable against decks like Grixis where it's a good out to Angler if they Delve away their Sorceries to protect it from Goyf and usually won't have Trop in play to make Submerge castable.

Thread Information