Page 39 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Red (Mono-R Sneak Attack)

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Re: Big Red (Mono-R Sneak Attack)

Quote Originally Posted by hdeck12 View Post
    Mull till you see trinishpere.

Turrible matchup. A couple ways I've dealt with it when it gets heavy in the local meta:
    Hold trinishpere until they cast show and tell or hit 4 lands. 5th land means dream halls hard cast and you're dead. Run out the rest of your hand asap.
    Bring in pyromancy make your land drops and draw fatties, drop it on their show and tell and kill them in response to trying to cast their next spell.
    Chaos warp, chaos warp, chaos warp.
    Ashen rider, woodfall primus, terrastodon

Potato is right about SB. I like to leave in 1 song (especially on the pyromancy plan). The other three and the moons should come out. You don't want to slow yourself down by turning off your sol lands.
    Does Chaos Warp actually do anything if they hold maintain priority after S&T?

Mar 2012
    Ithaca, Ny

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Does Chaos Warp actually do anything if they hold maintain priority after S&T?
    It can do more, or less, depending on their win condition and build.

But even if their win condition is cast emrakul and they have it in hand...Sure. You warp the omni, they get to annihilate your board and 15 damage in, you untap, go off with your stocked hand and kill them. (Chances aren't great, but it always does "something".)

They're going to have to dig up their win condition more often than not. It generally stops the endless cantrip loop and forces another enabler to be found.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

So I tailor my sideboard for Omni-Tell and both players don't show up. Lol. Anyway, went 2-1 last night.

Round 1 vs UB Reanimator.

Lose game 1 when I mull to 5 and get locked out by turn 2 Iona naming red. Win game 2 on the back of double Chalice on 1. Win game 3 thanks to Inferno Titan. He has disruption (Needle on Sneak Attack) but can't do anything about Seething Song into Titan.

2-1, 1-0

Round 2 vs Pox.

Miserable. I literally did nothing both games. I think I could've won game 2 had I drawn a sol land but I bricked a couple turns in a row and got locked out.

0-2, 1-1

Round 3 vs Esper Reanimator.

Won game 1 thanks to Griselbrand. He didn't do much other than play cantrips, and he's usually on the same colors but a stoneblade variant, so I sideboarded accordingly. Game 2 I realize he's on a different deck and lose to reanimated Griselbrand and Emrakul. Game 3 I land a turn 1 Chalice on 1, turn 2 Sneak Attack, and win on turn 3 thanks for Griselbrand + Worldspine Wurm.

2-1, 2-1

I think I'm going to add a few Faerie Macabre into the sideboard if graveyard shenanigans are this popular. I believe there was a dredge player last night as well. Maybe swap out the Pyromancy for 2 copies.

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

Against Omnitell list, I found its generally better to hold Trinisphere in hand and get your accelerant in the deck. Sure the can try to force of will but it eats their blue cards slowing their own combo down. Especially if you are worried about dream halls win con. Never cast your only Trinisphere. I learned that plenty of times. You want to be the aggressive combo deck. If their hand can't stop you win. Trinisphere is an insurance plan only if they try to get cute, you just untap and kill them. If they cast a show and tell they open up for your own combo. I haven't been playing any graveyard hate and been seeing graveyard decks fairly frequently for being such a small portion of the meta. Seems I face a grislebrand brand graveyard deck last 4 events I showed up to. I am about even with my reanimator matchup so I haven't opted to up my graveyard hate up yet. At the moment this is my list.

Deck: sneak attack godo editon v2.0 (60)

// Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    9 Mountain
    3 Sandstone Needle

// Creatures
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Godo, Bandit Warlord
    3 Worldspine Wurm
    4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

// Spells
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Lotus Petal
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Seething Song
    4 Sneak Attack
    3 Batterskull
    4 Through the Breach

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 Rolling Earthquake. **just picked up n untested*
    SB: 2 Pyroclasm
    SB: 1 Trinisphere
    SB: 4 Magus of the Moon
    SB: 3 Inferno Titan
    SB: 3 Blood Moon

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by lost_ronin_soul View Post
    Against Omnitell list, I found its generally better to hold Trinisphere in hand and get your accelerant in the deck. Sure the can try to force of will but it eats their blue cards slowing their own combo down. Especially if you are worried about dream halls win con. Never cast your only Trinisphere. I learned that plenty of times. You want to be the aggressive combo deck. If their hand can't stop you win. Trinisphere is an insurance plan only if they try to get cute, you just untap and kill them. If they cast a show and tell they open up for your own combo. I haven't been playing any graveyard hate and been seeing graveyard decks fairly frequently for being such a small portion of the meta. Seems I face a grislebrand brand graveyard deck last 4 events I showed up to. I am about even with my reanimator matchup so I haven't opted to up my graveyard hate up yet. At the moment this is my list.

Deck: sneak attack godo editon v2.0 (60)

// Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    9 Mountain
    3 Sandstone Needle

// Creatures
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Godo, Bandit Warlord
    3 Worldspine Wurm
    4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

// Spells
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Lotus Petal
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Seething Song
    4 Sneak Attack
    3 Batterskull
    4 Through the Breach

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 Rolling Earthquake. **just picked up n untested*
    SB: 2 Pyroclasm
    SB: 1 Trinisphere
    SB: 4 Magus of the Moon
    SB: 3 Inferno Titan
    SB: 3 Blood Moon
    You don't miss Griselbrand?

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

Grislebrand was game ending with sneak attack but not guaranteed with through the breach. Worldspine will win more of the games that grislebrand couldn't get there. Godo less powerful the grislebrand but actually competes with inferno titan. Batterskull has been thoroughly good. I'm running only 7 insane sneak targets (wurms and mom's spaghetti )with 4 decent sneak targets (Godo). This is so I see less hands with multiple uncastable creatures. Generally, only one big dumb sneak creature should win you the game.The longer the game goes on the more likely you with see redundant big dumb creatures that are extra. Each extra creature means more frequent dead draws. I just don't like how grislebrand doesn't always guarantee you will get there , especially as the life total lowers from enemy attacks and tomb activations. Batterskull actually helps the life loss, BTW. The problem is through the breach grislebrand nets between 7-21 cards, and the lower draws needs to find you the ability to combo off next turn. Sometimes stumbling that one turn will allow you opponent to combo,tempo, or draw what they need to bring them back in. Sneak attack is different because it makes comboing to kill WAAAY easier. It's all through the breach' s fault Grislebrand recieved no love from my list.lol

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Couple questions:

1. What happened to Blightsteel Colossus?
    2. Can Not of this World be of use on the fatties to protect from bounce effects? Can it stop our own SA/TtB sac effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Zooligan View Post
    Couple questions:

1. What happened to Blightsteel Colossus?
    2. Can Not of this World be of use on the fatties to protect from bounce effects? Can it stop our own SA/TtB sac effects?
    1. We don't have enough infect creatures in the deck. You could land 9 infect and then what? He doesn't fit the plan.
    2. We are a proactive deck, not reactive

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by James718 View Post
    1. We don't have enough infect creatures in the deck. You could land 9 infect and then what? He doesn't fit the plan.
    2. We are a proactive deck, not reactive
    Right on. Both make sense after you think about them for a bit.

So is the Godo/Batterskull build the current accepted optimal configuration?

Right on. Both make sense after you think about them for a bit.

So is the Godo/Batterskull build the current accepted optimal configuration?
    The batterskull is great because it is cast able and recastable. It also gets around humility.

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

Sunday, I played 6 round event and did the worst I have ever done in a while with deck deck 3-3. Lost to UR Delver, Goblins (good match up) and eldrazi. Best Rug Delver, lands, and nicfit. I did draw poorly alot and needed to Mulligan mana screwed hands frequently. I also made note of a few mistakes that weren't to imediately obvious to me at the time (like casting a sneak attack under a blood moon when facing eldrazi versus picking up a dead batterskull at 4 lands at 12 life facing 6 power (4/4 endless one and mimic). By playing sneak attack I was planning to top deck one of 16 sneak targets including spirit guide creatures to either let me win outright or clump block and 3 mana to pick up batterskull buying me a turn to find the mana. I should not have casted sneak attack . instead i should have picked up batterskull because I had 18 mana sources to draw into left in the deck I calculated after the match. I drew a land after I took 6 and face palmed. In regards to Batterskull , it has been mostly good. It allowed me to beat a game one turn one Iona naming red once at GP columbus (I only had sandstone needle for my turn one play) and I was able to beat him with turn two Batterskull , chalice on 2 , then found double Batterskull).

Godo has worked nicely but it competes with inferno titan. Godo is better against burn and decks that run white based removal like swords and terminus. Titan is better against the small creatures. Titan can also potentially sneak in for a kill by itself. Godo is almost always good to sneak in. Batterskull can win a game by itself and potentially hide your deck in rare circumstances (I've done it once)
    So far I like Godo, even though inferno titan would have been fine in the matches I played against. I haven't figured out which is better against Delver decks. Inferno titan can help stabilize against threats while Godo can make it really hard to die if you untap with it.

I can't say my list is the optimal list. But I configured it to the point where I'm very comfortable with it. I did make day 2 at GP Columbus and I played alot of bad matchups day one so it must say something about the list.

I think mono red list can benefit by running at least 2 Godo and one(I recommend two) Batterskull. I go very heavy on Godo since I'm still evaluating it. It helps against miracles but won't guarantee the match.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by lost_ronin_soul View Post
    I think mono red list can benefit by running at least 2 Godo and one(I recommend two) Batterskull. I go very heavy on Godo since I'm still evaluating it. It helps against miracles but won't guarantee the match.
    What are your thoughts on sideboard contents and strategies after your 3-3 day? Still think Blood Moon side and Trinisphere main? Still down on G-pap?

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

What are your thoughts on sideboard contents and strategies after your 3-3 day? Still think Blood Moon side and Trinisphere main? Still down on G-pap?
    Saturday just didn't come together for me. Not sure if it was because I been toying with modern lately and I wasn't in the zone, bad luck, or other factors. They had a modern event at that shop later that day and I was prepared more for that event.

I still prefer my main deck lock package to be 4 chalice and 3 Trinisphere. Main board moon isn't my play style. I also am not a fan that it hurts our mana base as well which can make comboing off harder as you try to top deck mana. It's worse if your opponent resolved some form of pressure while you try to assemble 4-5 mana sources to unleash death. Also it means you are more likely your opponent can draw counter magic to delay combing even further. At least Trinisphere game one only hurts top decking lotus petal. This allows me to threateb an early lock piece and follow up with a combo piece the turn after even if the lock piece resolves or not. Moon can sometimes take you off the mana you need. It's my preference, and wether or not it's actually correct or not is a meta call. Moon in the main could been a better meta call this event.

Rolling earthquake needs more testing before I can say it's good or not. I saw it only in a single game against UR delver. I drew it late, killing a Delver and monastery swift spear which means it was better then sudden demise. The two damage was sort of relevant as it stopped me from being able to cast a through the breach when I top decked an ancient tomb when I was at two life, which made it worse then pyroclasm. But the opponent had counter magic up so I would lose regardless. So I think I need to set up a gauntlet with friends and do post board testing. I like some number of board wipes but I am not sure what is the correct number/split.
    I do like having the 7 moon's in the sideboard. It makes lands near unloseable (they are extremely unlikely to beat double blood moon, and if they board out punishing fire Magus can get the job done too. )Can chalice on 2 is good against them 2. I only lost a game to lands because I didn't know what he was on in game 2. I only saw Mox diamond, bayou, and basic forest which made me put him on new horizons (an Abzan list)
    I still only have one graveyard hate card in the sideboard (the 4th Trinisphere) and I am about even in matches even against reanimator (a bad matchup in my book).
    Inferno titan is still really really good so some copies need to be in the 75 I just don't know how many copies and wether main or sideboard.
    I also never played against eldrazi up until now. So while I new about the deck this was my first time playing against it.
    I also forgot to write out my sideboard game plans I had in my phone.
    My current sideboard stragies are :

Bug/eldrazi (Stronger lock pieces)
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Blood Moon
    -4 Chalice of the Void
    -3Trinisphere

Burn (Trinisphere is more important then 3rd skull)
    1 Trinisphere (stops them winning early)
    -1 Batterskull

Delver.( Try to grind it out until a 6 drop sticks.)
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Inferno Titan
    2 Pyroclasm
    2 Rolling Earthquake (can wipe 1/1 with magus in play)
    3 Blood Moon
    -3 Trinisphere
    -4 Through the Breach(wasteland/moons/soft counters)
    -3 Worldspine Wurm
    -4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Elves (board wipe over life gain)
    3 Inferno Titan
    2 Rolling Earthquake
    2 Pyroclasm
    -3 Batterskull
    -4 Godo, Bandit Warlord

Miracle (try to win quick, else grind out a long game)
    3 Inferno Titan
    2 Rolling Earthquake
    1 Trinisphere
    -3 Lotus Petal
    -3 Worldspine wurn

Soo whose trying new Chandra?

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Soo whose trying new Chandra?
    Problem is, how many would you play and what would you take out for them?

Problem is, how many would you play and what would you take out for them?
    I think I could try adding one to the main, I don't know if she's better than the 6 mana Chandra though. Different situations I guess . The new Chandra gives pseudo card advantage. But then again we can't cast any of our fatties, just enablers. It is relevant though. indont know, the more I think about it the less I'm feeling her.

However I will test her. I'll probably cut a batterskull for her.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Because of the card advantage she may be suitable in longer, grindier games which seems to indicate she would be SB material. I''m not certain in a G1 I'd rather draw her than Batterskull for a T2-T3 play.

But she does give us outs to humility and ensnaring bridges

Jan 2013
    Land of Snow and Purple Rain

But she does give us outs to humility and ensnaring bridges
    So does Pyromancy and it kills faster

Jan 2013
    Land of Snow and Purple Rain

New Chandra has zero place in this deck.

+1 says cast. Well I don't want to cast my chalices for 0....
    +1 RR. Okay...2 sneak attack activations(what? c'mon)
    -3 Deal 4 damage... When is this relevant?
    -7 (i've already won at this point)

Thread Information