Page 18 of 59 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Red (Mono-R Sneak Attack)

Mar 2012
    Ithaca, Ny

Top 4 GPT DC: Wasted

Hey guys, gave our old friend a run to try and snag some byes for DC.

I won't bore you with the play by play but I'll put up my list, some quick stats, moments of mountain glory, and reflections.

List

4 ancient tomb
    4 sandstone needle
    2 city of traitors
    7 mountain
    2 karakas

4 simian spirit guide
    4 seething song
    2 lotus petal

4 sneak attack
    4 through the breach

4 emrakul, the aeons torn
    3 griselbrand
    2 worldspine wurm
    2 blightsteel colossus

4 chalice of the void
    3 inferno titan
    3 blood moon
    1 trinisphere
    1 crystal ball

Sideboard
    3 trinisphere
    3 defense grid
    2 grafdigger's cage
    2 pyroclasm
    1 blood moon
    1 magus of the moon
    1 pyromancy
    2 stronghold gambit
    I really played 1 gambit and 1 other card, but I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise

Stats
    22 players (I think)
    5 rounds
    round 1 goblin bombardment: I think I lost this one in 2, might have been 3. Hand disruption + aggro speed = is enough to finish me off...twice
    round 2 miracles: I think I win in 2. Blightsteel > no creatures = k.o.
    round 3 bug delver: I eek out a win in 3. The <3 of the cards carries me.
    round 4 sneak and show: I win. He puts in big things. I put in big things...twice.
    round 5 ID with miracles, we play for fun, I win, booo. 7th seed going into top 8
    Round Top 8 UWr Delver/StoneForge: I win in 3. Moon is good when your opponents don't play basics
    Round Top 4 UWr Delver/YoungPyromancer: I lose in 3. Wasteland is a card.

Moments of Mountain Glory
    1. Round 2 game 1 ended with a turn 1 blighsteel kill.
    2. Round 2 game 2 I cast stronghold gambit for the first time in my life and it gets me a griselbrand
    3. Round 4 game 3 I sneak attack in a simian spirit guide for the win.
    4. Top 8 game 3 I muligan to 4...I win.

Reflections
    Crystal Ball: I'm out. Too expensive, too slow. I did get some good looks from the spectators when it hit the board though.
    Stronghold Gambit: I'm in. This has more applications than I originally thought. It's a fun surprise.
    Worldspine Wurm/Blightsteel Colossus:The 2/2 split seemed fine. Having both in my hand gave me options. Each did put away a game that the other wouldn't have. I think I'll keep it for now.
    Red Elemental Blast: I miss you!

Dec 2011
    IL

Re: Big Red (Mono-R Sneak Attack)

siq! @hdeck12

i'm gonna keep it short. i went to indy for the SCG invite. i was confident with the deck in the legacy portion (same list that was in that hilarious deck tech) in which i went 3-1 but then proceeded to scrub out in standard. :(

fast forward to the legacy open. i knew the field was going to be filled with a lot of hard match ups but i figured i'd give it a shot anyways. didn't do so hot, rough match ups and 27 rounds of magic over 3 days will do that.

round 1 - u/w/r 2-0
    round 2 - esper blade 2-0
    round 3 - RUG 1-2
    round 4 - BUG 0-2
    round 5 - burn 2-0
    round 6 - monoblue omniscience 1-2
    round 7 - RUG 2-0
    round 8 RUG 1-2
    round 9 dredge 2-1

eek.

Quote Originally Posted by xdavisx View Post
    siq! @hdeck12

i'm gonna keep it short. i went to indy for the SCG invite. i was confident with the deck in the legacy portion (same list that was in that hilarious deck tech) in which i went 3-1 but then proceeded to scrub out in standard. :(

fast forward to the legacy open. i knew the field was going to be filled with a lot of hard match ups but i figured i'd give it a shot anyways. didn't do so hot, rough match ups and 27 rounds of magic over 3 days will do that.

round 1 - u/w/r 2-0
    round 2 - esper blade 2-0
    round 3 - RUG 1-2
    round 4 - BUG 0-2
    round 5 - burn 2-0
    round 6 - monoblue omniscience 1-2
    round 7 - RUG 2-0
    round 8 RUG 1-2
    round 9 dredge 2-1

eek.
    Was there an Invitational Deck Tech for Big Red? If so, I'd like to see it.

Dec 2011
    IL

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    Was there an Invitational Deck Tech for Big Red? If so, I'd like to see it.
    there wasn't. it was at scg Milwaukee, someone linked it on the previous page.

Stronghold Gambit

I've been thinking more and more about using Stronghold Gambit after watching Caleb Durward's Legacy RB Shallow Grave deck (see http://www.channelfireball.com/video...shallow-grave/). If we would go this route, do we also want to run Probe?

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

For those interested in Stronghold Gambit here's an article of Hollywood Keller:

http://jupitergames.info/articles/20...or-the-shining

Enjoy!
    Ignorance is strength

Mar 2012
    Ithaca, Ny

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    For those interested in Stronghold Gambit here's an article of Hollywood Keller:

http://jupitergames.info/articles/20...or-the-shining

Enjoy!
    Haha, I play against Hollywood all the time. He's a great guy!

I think there's a sweet RB version of this deck out there. Discard spells can deal with counterspells, hate bears (before they're cast) and opposing combos. The discard spell into stronghold gambit play is pretty sweet too. It also opens up the sideboard to some nasty things and might even allow for sensei's top as with discard the chalices wouldn't be in the main if in the 75 at all.

*edit I also have the dream of hardcasting griselbrand. His cmc is ridiculous for what he is.
    Last edited by hdeck12; 10-28-2013 at 11:30 PM.

May 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland

Hi all

I just top-8ed the Legacy Championship side event at GP Antwerp playing Big Red.

I didn't take notes but I can give you a quick run through of my list and the tournament matchups.

So... the list I played:

Main deck (60)
    4 Sneak Attack
    4 Through the Breach
    2 Pyromancy
    4 Emrakul
    4 Worldspine Wurm
    3 Inferno Titan
    2 Griselbrand
    3 Blood Moon
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Reforge the Soul
    4 Seething Song
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Sandstone Needle
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Arid Mesa
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
    4 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Pyroclasm
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Stronghold's Gambit
    2 Chaos Warp
    1 Defense Grid

Round 1: BURG Delver

He wins the roll.
    Game 1, he plays a Misty and passes. I play Tomb, exile Spirit Guide and play Blood Moon. He cracks the fetch for a Trop and Brainstorms. He scoops. A good start!
    Game 2, I get beaten down by a flipped Japanese foil Delver while I fail to draw into anything.
    Game 3, I win - don’t' really remember how!

2-1 and I'm 1-0

Round 2: Imperial Painter

He wins the roll.
    Game 1, I turn two him with a Worldspine Wurm. He only scoops when he sees that three 5/5s.
    Game 2, Weirdest. Game. Ever! He plays an Ensnaring Bridge that I hadn't considered when sideboarding so I had not brought in my Chaos Warps. He resolves a Koth but I am amble to kill it by hard casting Titan redirecting the 3 at Koth and then swinging with a Spirit Guide. At some point he Revokers Sneak Attack. He grinds me. We resolve it and I have 8 shuffle triggers to resolve - at least he got to see my deck! Eventually he is on the 3 from his Ancient Tombs and the occasional Spirit Guide beat. I resolve a Pyroclasm killing his Revoker and the Sneak in a Titan to kill him.

2-0 and I'm 2-0

Round 3: Aluren (Shardless)

He wins the roll!!
    Game 1, He manages to grind the game out through my Trinisphere. Disappointing!
    Game 2, I Blood Moon and proceed to kill him swiftly after that.
    Game 3, He plays a Bayou and passes. I play a Mountain and pass. He plays a fetch and passes. I play an Ancient Tomb and cast Blood Moon. He taps his Bayou for B and then fetches. Ok, so some sort of Decay effect is about to get me - my hand doesn't really do anything for a while. It was a bit 'all-in' on the Moon. He finishes resolving his fetch for a Trop and then points to the Blood Moon and says "Resolves". He then taps the Trop saying "Tap for green and Golgari Charm the Blood Moon". I inform him that his Tropical Island is now a Mountain. His friends who were hanging around smirk, shake their heads and get up and leave. My opponent realises what he has done and is obviously upset. I am able to play a Top then next turn and then 3-4 turns later am able to Sneak a win! I felt dirty winning like this but that's the way the cookie crumbles

2-1 and I'm 3-0

Round 4: LED Dredge

He obviously wins the roll!
    Game 1, and we're onto Game 2! His deck is foiled out with Jap LEDs.
    Game 2, I play a turn 1 Cage. He plays a turn 1 Nature's Claim. I win on turn 2 or 3.
    Game 3, I think he started with a Faithless Looting. I play a turn 1 Cage. He plays a turn 2 Claim. I win on turn 3-4.

2-1 and I'm 4-0.

Round 5: Metalworker MUD

He wins the roll.
    Game 1, I win early - turn 2 or 3.
    Game 2, we both mull to 6 and I keep my one land, Top and gas hand. He mulls all the way to 4. I draw nothing while he eventually is able to cast Metalworker, Spine of Ish Sha on my 1 land and then 2 consecutive Loadstones. Ouch!
    Game 3, He again mulls to 5. I keep my 7 and am able to kill him as his Chalice on 1 and 2 do nothing against me.

2-1 and I'm 5-0

Round 6: Scapeshift Nic Fit

Game 1, he seems to be mana light as he plays Bayou into Explorer but then another Explorer and no second land. Meanwhile I am just dropping lands. He is hitting me for 2 damage a turn and eventually makes his land drops. I manage to kill him the turn before he could Scapeshift me out.
    Game 2, he mulls to 4-5 can't remember. My 7 card hand is Tomb, Spirit Guide, Seething Song, Sneak Attack, Emrakul, Mountain and something else (not a guy). He plays forest and passes. I Sneak an Emrakul and feel very confidant of drawing another dude before he is able to recover. He does nothing and passes. I draw an Emrakul. This deck is silly!

2-0 and I'm 6-0

Round 7: Stoneblade

Game 1, he has multiple Thoughtseizes and too much counter magic.
    Game 2, he Thoughtsiezes twice and then proceeds to counter my Blood Moon, Sneak Attack and Through the Breach all on successive turns :( Fair enough. It's a rough matchup.

0-2 and I'm 6-1

Round 8: U/R Delver with Young Pyromancer

We ID

I finish on 6-1-1. This places my 6th after the Swiss. The top 8 decide to split as everybody wanted to go home after a long weekend. We each get 100 Euros in trade credit which I turn into more foils :)

Hope this was interesting/useful!

Cheers,
    Ben

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

@Cabs: grats on the finish! How the tops performed for you? I had issues because we can play only 5-6 shuffle effects and top in more of a control card than a combo one, it was too slow for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hdeck12 View Post
    Haha, I play against Hollywood all the time. He's a great guy!

I think there's a sweet RB version of this deck out there. Discard spells can deal with counterspells, hate bears (before they're cast) and opposing combos. The discard spell into stronghold gambit play is pretty sweet too. It also opens up the sideboard to some nasty things and might even allow for sensei's top as with discard the chalices wouldn't be in the main if in the 75 at all.

*edit I also have the dream of hardcasting griselbrand. His cmc is ridiculous for what he is.
    The RB deck seems indeed sweet, but I never tested it.

However I lived your dream: I once hardcasted griselbrand with reanimator on turn 6 (with 2 lotus petal) against patriot the turn before he would have killed me. That match was one of the strangest I've never played (show & tell to drop a second gris after attack in order to get vigilance, hardcast titan...).
    Ignorance is strength

May 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    @Cabs: grats on the finish! How the tops performed for you? I had issues because we can play only 5-6 shuffle effects and top in more of a control card than a combo one, it was too slow for me.
    The Tops were good - not great. I never really drew into the Top/fetch combo but it certainly did help to give me a look 3 cards deeper which made the difference in a few matches. I did get a Wurm or Emrakul shuffle trigger with a Top in play so it was obviously amazing then! I still prefer them to Crystal Ball but would certainly like suggestions for other options....

Hi all,

this deck:

http://thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.ph...5&iddeck=88114

include faithless looting, it is a good solution for draw problem and better than crystal ball.

What is your opinion?

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by claudip View Post
    Hi all,

this deck:

http://thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.ph...5&iddeck=88114

include faithless looting, it is a good solution for draw problem and better than crystal ball.

What is your opinion?
    Hi,
    faithless looting suffers of the same problem of sensei's divining top: its CC 1 conflicts with chalice of the void @1. Moreover it's pure card disadvantage and, unlike dredge or reanimator, we get literally no benefit from discarding something in the grave (unless you have a top in play and discard an emmy/wurm/colossus for shuffle).

Crystall ball is clunky and no more of a 2 of, but if I were to play a 1CC for manipulation I'd go for top.
    Ignorance is strength

Sep 2012
    NoVA

Does anyone have a list to the RB version? I am intrigued and Badlands are cheap.

May 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland

Part of the beauty of this deck is, in my opinion, it's stable, single colour manabase and ability to play Blood Moon.

If you do decide to add a colour, surely u/r Sneak'n'Show is the best option?

What you side out against "tempo threshold"?

We have a lot of options in side: ReB, Defense, Trini(?).. but what you side out?

May 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland

I would side out Seething Songs and, if needed, shave some of the big guys. I would bring in some number of Pyroblasts, Pyroclasms, Defense Grids and Koths.

Hi guys,
    this weekend I played Bazaar of Moxen Paris with this list:

4 Griselbrand
    4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 Blightsteel Colossus
    2 Worldspine Wurm
    2 Inferno Titan
    4 Sneak Attack
    4 Through the Breach
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Trinisphere
    2 Crystal Ball
    4 Seething Song
    3 Lotus Petal
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Sandstone Needle
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    7 Mountain

Sideboard:
    3 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Defense Grid
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Blood Moon
    2 Pyroclasm
    2 Stronghold Gambit
    1 Pyromancy
    2 Pyroblast

On Friday I played 200+ players last chance trials and finished 4-3, lost to monoU omni-tell, storm and rug-tempo thresh. Against rug I made a silly mistake attacking with sneaked Griselbrand on my turn instead of waiting and activating SA during his turn to block one of his two tarmo. That costed me at least 1 bye probably :)
    On Saturday I played main event.
    1 turn vs rug tempo 2-0 i won with 3 and 4 life, fortunately he didn't have bolt first game
    2 turn against burg 2-0 first game he fetched for Taiga on his first turn, I assumed he played zoo and went for the first turn kill with grisel, draw 7, emrakul. Second game he started with two delvers, FoW my first attempt but did not find second FoW and I won on my third turn I believe.
    3 turn against monoU omnitell. Lost 1-2, this could be quite a tough matchup if opponent has FoW, and they usually win on 3-4 turn. He FoWed me three times during 3 games.
    4 turn against UR Sneak-Show 2-0. He had two FoW first game, but finally my Sneak Attack resolved and he had exactly 15 life points :) second game I had chalice for 1 and he had hand full of cantrips and just lost.
    5 turn uwr tempo with stoneforge mystics, 2-0. First game he had FoW for chalice, crystal ball, but not for TTB next turn. Second game he started with two wastelands, but luckily I had two basic mountains, next turn he did not forced trinisphere and died next turn from colossus. He sided in Rest in peace, Relic of Progenitus I don't know why.
    6 turn against rug tempo lost 1-2 that was a key loss that left me out of Day 2, I kept a risky hand game 3 with tomb, petal, SSG and did not have grid/chalice/pyroclasm and never drew second land, he flipped delver on his second and had tarmo oh 3rd turn. This can be tough matchup if they have such a pressure, but it was my greatest mistake to keep such a loose hand.
    7 turn against jund lost 1-2 the third game was very funny I had it all but three wastelands in a row and pithing needle for my resolved SA I lost wih TTB, emrakul and inferno Titan in my hand.
    8 turn dredge 2-1 some strange misplays from my opponent here, first game he discarded hand for LED, then tried to flashback looting just to have it countered with chalice for 1. Third game he named Emrakul with his third cabal therapy, I had Through the Breach and wurm, don't know maybe it was just a way to concede.
    9 turn UR Sneak-Show 2-0, second game I played trinisphere, he played lotus petal his next turn paying three for it, one land untapped. I go for the win next turn. He said he had TTB + emrakul but trinisphere messed up his plan to play petal. And showed me... FoW. Why didn't you forced my trinisphere??? He said like he did not think I could kill him in 1 turn with just three lands and trinisphere. Well he guessed right but had to sac everything to Emmy trigger.
    I finished 6-3 just one win short of Day 2. Anyway tournament was very cool, I liked the deck it was more stable when I thought. I played 7 of 9 games where my opponents had FoW, which was a little bit disheartening, but only one matchup was really unfavorable. Will be sneaking and breaching more at GP Paris next February!

Mar 2012
    Ithaca, Ny

Any of you guys headin to GP DC?

Dec 2011
    IL

Quote Originally Posted by hdeck12 View Post
    Any of you guys headin to GP DC?
    i'm locked in. can't wait to mob with my homie, hdeck12

My opponent survived two emrakul attack from me yesterday using lingering souls to block. Crystal Ball was immense there, allowed me enough time to scry for a third emrakul as i was a facing a lone Soul carrying Jitte. This deck was really fun to play!!

Thread Information