Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Red (Mono-R Sneak Attack)

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Re: Big Red (Mono-R Sneak Attack)

Sounds like you are not completely familiar with the stack, but there are two ways to handle this to have your fatty hit play.

You can:
    a) activate sneak attack again while containment priest is on the stack (which sounds likely since you said you have mana to sudden shock it for some reason) and the priest's effect will be too late. Sounds like a rookie mistake whoever is playing a priest when you have mana up anyway.

or

b) let priest resolve and the next instance you get priority before sneak attack activation resolves you can remove the priest via your removal. The split second effect is only present until that split second spell has finished resolving. Now when the sneak resolves you get your cheated fatty.

tldr: Just make sure no special effects are present when sneak attack ability resolves.

Also you ask how to handle priest in general? If more players put this in the side you can use volcanic fallout, sudden shock or my favorite, Aether Flash.

Aether Flash seems like an odd choice though, considering Gaddock Teeg...

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    Sounds like you are not completely familiar with the stack, but there are two ways to handle this to have your fatty hit play.

You can:
    a) activate sneak attack again while containment priest is on the stack (which sounds likely since you said you have mana to sudden shock it for some reason) and the priest's effect will be too late. Sounds like a rookie mistake whoever is playing a priest when you have mana up anyway.

or

b) let priest resolve and the next instance you get priority before sneak attack activation resolves you can remove the priest via your removal. The split second effect is only present until that split second spell has finished resolving. Now when the sneak resolves you get your cheated fatty.

tldr: Just make sure no special effects are present when sneak attack ability resolves.

Also you ask how to handle priest in general? If more players put this in the side you can use volcanic fallout, sudden shock or my favorite, Aether Flash.
    Thank you, option B was what I was trying to get at. It feels like the stack rules have changed since I used to play, but maybe I just don't remember them anymore.

Hmm, anyone still playing this?

Mar 2010
    Aarhus, Denmark

Does True-Name Nemesis have protection from Aether Flash or how does the triggers stack, when TNM enters the battlefield?

/PollePotDK

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by PollePotDK View Post
    Does True-Name Nemesis have protection from Aether Flash or how does the triggers stack, when TNM enters the battlefield?

/PollePotDK
    As TNN enters the battlefield. So it enters protected. It is not a triggered ability. If the chosen player is the controller of Aether Flash then the damage is prevented on the TNN.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by Daize View Post
    Hmm, anyone still playing this?
    Yes. In fact the deck is having good results here in south america, even in metas packed with FoWs

:D

South America's big, I'm in Mexico City myself. Still having success with manaless. What's your list?

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

:D

South America's big, I'm in Mexico City myself. Still having success with manaless. What's your list?
    I'm not playing the deck but here are some of the lists another player is presenting.

http://www.frosthammer.org/2014/12/2...-sneak-attack/

The deck also took 7th place in a Legacy side-event in Fate Reforged PTQ, around 70 players, and performs well in a weekly basis.

Cool to hear, thanks for letting me know :-)

I have played many games with this deck; here's optimal build to my mind after 15+ tournaments:
    4x City of Traitors$
    4x Sandstone Needle$
    4x Ancient Tomb$
    8x Mountain$
    4x Seething Soong$
    4x Through the Breach$
    3x Blood Moon$
    4x Sneak Attack$
    1x Griselbrand$
    3x Inferno Titan$
    4x Worldspine Wurm$
    4x Simian Spirit Guide$
    4x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn$
    4x Chalice of the Void$
    2x Koth of the Hammer
    2x Lotus Petal$
    SIDEBOARD
    2x Chaos Warp$
    4x Leyline of Sanctity$
    2x Defense Grid$
    2x Pyroclasm$
    3x Trinisphere$
    2x Metachoice

Weakness:
    - Countermagic
    - Late game based on luck while topdecking

Strengths:
    - no fear for Karakas
    - early disruption
    - T1/T2 wins
    - castable win-cons: Koth, Titan

Quote Originally Posted by nonja View Post
    I have played many games with this deck; here's optimal build to my mind after 15+ tournaments:
    4x City of Traitors$
    4x Sandstone Needle$
    4x Ancient Tomb$
    8x Mountain$
    4x Seething Soong$
    4x Through the Breach$
    3x Blood Moon$
    4x Sneak Attack$
    1x Griselbrand$
    3x Inferno Titan$
    4x Worldspine Wurm$
    4x Simian Spirit Guide$
    4x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn$
    4x Chalice of the Void$
    2x Koth of the Hammer
    2x Lotus Petal$
    SIDEBOARD
    2x Chaos Warp$
    4x Leyline of Sanctity$
    2x Defense Grid$
    2x Pyroclasm$
    3x Trinisphere$
    2x Metachoice

Weakness:
    - Countermagic
    - Late game based on luck while topdecking

Strengths:
    - no fear for Karakas
    - early disruption
    - T1/T2 wins
    - castable win-cons: Koth, Titan
    So I like your list a lot right now, but it looks like by my count that you have 59 cards in the main. I'm guessing you want a 4th moon?

FrankEGee88 is right, decklist contains 4 Blood Moons :)

Wow, just one Grisel, 4 Worldspine Wurms? Interesting Koth, though!

Wow, just one Grisel, 4 Worldspine Wurms? Interesting Koth, though!
    It's very easy to cheat fatty T1/T2 - Wurm usually is GG, it hits for 15 ant leaves 3 tokens. The only thing to fear - StP from white mages (cn be solved by CotV on 1)
    Griselbrand can draw about 14, but it leaves opponent with 13 life, so buys him a lot of time. Many bad things can happen while setuping for the next sneak/Ttb - a topdecked FoW, Gaddock Teeg, random Discard, etc. I've won countless games on wurm's back, so I'm more than happy. My initial list contained 4 grisels, later I cut them to 2 and lastly I changed 1 to Inferno Titan (I needed more castable win-cons).

Koth is for grindy matchups, where primary plan fails - shines against bridge, humility, control decks; all you need is ultimate.

Nonja, can you say your side in/out plan to different decks ? Like rug/ bug/ miracles/ dnt ? Thx !!

May 2005
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by nonja View Post
    It's very easy to cheat fatty T1/T2 - Wurm usually is GG, it hits for 15 ant leaves 3 tokens. The only thing to fear - StP from white mages (cn be solved by CotV on 1)
    Griselbrand can draw about 14, but it leaves opponent with 13 life, so buys him a lot of time. Many bad things can happen while setuping for the next sneak/Ttb - a topdecked FoW, Gaddock Teeg, random Discard, etc. I've won countless games on wurm's back, so I'm more than happy. My initial list contained 4 grisels, later I cut them to 2 and lastly I changed 1 to Inferno Titan (I needed more castable win-cons).

Koth is for grindy matchups, where primary plan fails - shines against bridge, humility, control decks; all you need is ultimate.
    I've 4-0'd four Mtgo Dailies with this deck, I would never run less than 4 Inferno Titan and 4 Griselbrand. Wurm just gets sworded. Griselbrand will find you an answer. Inferno titan kills containment / teeg / elves. Also, a hardcasted inferno just wins against some decks.

Oct 2013
    mount Joy, PA

Here is my current list.
    I am very happy with the main board, but still not sure on the side board.
    Any suggestions would be great!

4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Griselbrand
    3 Inferno Titan
    2 Worldspine Wurm
    4 Sneak Attack
    4 Through the Breach
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Blood Moon
    2 Pyroclasm
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Seething Song
    3 Lotus Petal
    4 Sandstone Needle
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Scalding Tarn
    5 Mountain

Side board
    3 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Pyroclasm
    2 Defense Grid
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Ingot Chewer
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Inferno Titan
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Pyroblast

I feel another Defense Grid in the side would help sure up are biggest issue, counterspells.
    Thanks for any advice!

May 2005
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Oath Breaker View Post
    Here is my current list.
    I am very happy with the main board, but still not sure on the side board.
    Any suggestions would be great!

4 Griselbrand
    3 Inferno Titan
    2 Worldspine Wurm
    4 Sneak Attack
    4 Through the Breach
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Blood Moon
    2 Pyroclasm
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Seething Song
    3 Lotus Petal
    4 Sandstone Needle
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Scalding Tarn
    5 Mountain

Side board
    3 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Pyroclasm
    2 Defense Grid
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Ingot Chewer
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Inferno Titan
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Pyroblast

I feel another Defense Grid in the side would help sure up are biggest issue, counterspells.
    Thanks for any advice!
    I've been running

4 Leyline of Sanctity - ANT / Shardless / Jund
    4 Pyroclasm - Elves / D+T
    4 Defense Grid - Stoneforge / Miracles
    3 Tormod's Crypt - Reanimator / Dredge

I thinking about adding two Ingot Chewer or Chaos Warp for bridge mostly

Hey guys. I've been playing this deck with some moderate success since June of last year. I saw Caleb Durward's list from ChannelFireball.com, along with his videos on the deck. The deck looked like so much fun to play so I built it for the the SCG Open Series in Providence of June 2014. I continued to play the deck with good success at my local store's legacy events. At the end of the summer, I had to go back to school and was unable to play my store's weekly events. Furthermore, I was considering playing the legacy GP in New Jersey that November. After much contemplation, I decided to go with a few of my friends who were also willing to make the trip. My list at the time was exactly Caleb's 75 from his second video on the deck. With the impending release of containment priest, I knew i needed to make a change to the deck. I decided on adding the 4th Inferno Titan while taking out the 3rd Blightsteel Colossus. I need another cast able creature that could potentially battle Containment Priest. I ran the deck to a 7-2 finish on day 1 assuring that I would be able to compete in Day 2 for a shot at the PT or at the very least to break even or better for the weekend. Day 2 ended up being a little rough for me as i finished 3-2-1 for a decent finish on the weekend. I placed 188th. Caleb's list ran 2x Crystal Ball. I was very unimpresssed with the card overall. I sided the pair out after every game 1 and only put them back in after the match was over.

The following month my local store ran an SCG Invitational Qualifier on a the weekend after Christmas. Having not played magic in a while, I was excited to test my luck and possibly qualify for the SCG Invitational while i was at it. The tournament was small but had some quality players amongst its ranks. Ross Merriam was testing something new after he finally decided elves wasnt where he wanted to be. I ended up placing 3rd overall after losing to a very winnable match up in Elves. I attribute this to drawing poorly since i had beaten Elves twice on the day and rarely drop a game to the woodland creatures.

my list from the SCG IQ on 12/28/14

Creatures (19)

2 Blightsteel Colossus
    4 Inferno Titan
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Nicol Bolas

Lands (18)

7 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Sandstone Needle

Spells (23)

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Lotus Petal
    1 Trinisphere
    3 Blood Moon
    4 Sneak Attack
    4 Seething Song
    4 Through the Breach

Sideboard

2 Defense Grid
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    2 Pyromancy
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Pyroclasm
    2 Stronghold Gambit

I cut the Crystal Ball for a Nicol Bolas and a Blightsteel Colossus. The Blightsteel in the board feels wrong but I built it last minute. After this tournament I switched to 2x Blood Moon in the main with the thrid in the side. I felt that Treasure Cruise Delver variants werent relying on the duals and had a much stronger manabase. I believe after the banning of Treasure Cruise, that the U/R variants of Delver will return to playing a third color.

Thread Information