Page 51 of 59 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1180

Thread: Big Red (Mono-R Sneak Attack)

Aug 2011
    Rice Lake, WI

Re: Big Red (Mono-R Sneak Attack)

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    How did it go?

Also this just came to me. If we are splashing white, what about including 3x enlighten tutor & 1x blightsteel colossus. This would give us instant access to either sneak attach or a fatty.
    Tutor doesn't go well with chalice

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Hyze View Post
    Tutor doesn't go well with chalice
    Idyllic Tutor? Pay 3 to put Sneak Attack in hand?

After taking some time off the deck, I am thinking about revisiting it in the new meta since it seems better positioned againt Taxes when comapred to classical Sneak and Show.

However, I am not sure if the Godo package is still the best possible use of those slots. In the past I often wanted a 3rd Inferno Titan since it is very strong against both Delver decks and Taxes. At that point we could play the 3rd Titan, 2 Batterskull and 1 Godo (since that split seems way better than 2 Godo with only 1 BSkull).

Alternatively we could try cutting the package alltogether. Possible options in those slots include:

Inferno Titan (strong against Delver and Taxes)
    Wurmcoil Engine (similar strength to Godo against BUG decks, worse against decks with Swords, arguably better against Delver decks)
    Hazoret (not sure about this one, but it is very easy to cast, can attack early and often in this deck and gives us something to to with useless topdecks)
    Chandra, Torch of Defiance (others have sung the praises of this card way better then I could, but here goes: very strong in all Grindy matchups, surpisingly good against decks like Taxes and BUG Delver, also helps ramping to Inferno Titan etc...)

What do you all think about this? Is Godo still good enough or can he be cut for one/some of these options, or something else alltogether?

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

Looks like I'm locked in with this 60 for sure. Board is up in the air currently

Creature (14)
    3 Inferno Titan
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Worldspine Wurm
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    3 Griselbrand

Lands (19)
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Sandstone Needle

Spells (27)
    3 TriniSphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Sneak Attack
    4 Seething Song
    4 Through the Breach

Sideboard (??)

Sudden Shock x2, for sure
    Kozilek's Return x2, for sure
    Fiery Confluence x2, probably
    Faerie Macabre, x3, for sure
    Chandra, Torch of Defiance, x2, maybe?
    and 4 others....

Question is...which matchups is 3 ball bad?
    Last edited by jbone2016; 06-11-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Jbone, you list seems a bit light on business creatures at first glance... usually we play about 13 fatties while you have only 10.... are you not worried that yu will not find them sometimes after the lock pieces are on board?

Overall, I like Trinisphere, but am not sure that we want it in the MD. The only MUs where it is really bad are Eldrazi, S+S and other Stompy decks, but being so threat light worries me... I saw a list (I believe from the Legacy Challenge?) that played 2 Wurmcoil Engines and 1 Chandra in place of your MD Trinispheres, rest of the list was the same I believe; this gives us some strong castable threats against both Delver and the various BUG decks.

Aug 2012
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by SecondSunrise View Post
    Jbone, you list seems a bit light on business creatures at first glance... usually we play about 13 fatties while you have only 10.... are you not worried that yu will not find them sometimes after the lock pieces are on board?

Overall, I like Trinisphere, but am not sure that we want it in the MD. The only MUs where it is really bad are Eldrazi, S+S and other Stompy decks, but being so threat light worries me... I saw a list (I believe from the Legacy Challenge?) that played 2 Wurmcoil Engines and 1 Chandra in place of your MD Trinispheres, rest of the list was the same I believe; this gives us some strong castable threats against both Delver and the various BUG decks.
    Ended up going with the 4th Titan in the main along with 2 Chandras. Never cast a Chandra all weekend. I think I got a Griselbrand into play maybe once the entire weekend (and he was blocking)

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by jbone2016 View Post
    Looks like I'm locked in with this 60 for sure. Board is up in the air currently

Creature (14)
    3 Inferno Titan
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Worldspine Wurm
    3 Griselbrand

Lands (19)
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Sandstone Needle

Spells (27)
    3 TriniSphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Sneak Attack
    4 Seething Song
    4 Through the Breach

Sideboard (??)

Sudden Shock x2, for sure
    Kozilek's Return x2, for sure
    Fiery Confluence x2, probably
    Faerie Macabre, x3, for sure
    Chandra, Torch of Defiance, x2, maybe?
    and 4 others....

Question is...which matchups is 3 ball bad?
    Why 1x Sandstone Needle over 1x Crystal Vein? If you don't end up with it in the opening hand isn't it pretty wack? With only one in deck you can't consistently play Sandstone on turn one, plus it comes into play tapped?

Why 1x Sandstone Needle over 1x Crystal Vein?
    As far as 1-ofs go, Gemstone Caverns is also a possibility.

Aug 2011
    Rice Lake, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    As far as 1-ofs go, Gemstone Caverns is also a possibility.
    Running that has also crossed my mind recently. I will test it this weekend.

Running that has also crossed my mind recently. I will test it this weekend.
    I did... not bad... Until you need a Mountain and top deck this one instead (without a moon in play)... happened only once.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Has anyone had great success against storm? I'm seriously thinking about running 2x Ali from Cairo in the SB

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Has anyone had great success against storm? I'm seriously thinking about running 2x Ali from Cairo in the SB
    Tendrils of Agony is life loss, not damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Is 4x Chalice, 4x Blood Moon and some # of Trinisphere on top of just being able to kill them turn 1-2 not enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

ali is the man
    Tusk Up

Leyline of Sanctity is a better solution should you feel Chalice, Moons and Trinispheres are not enough: they won't be able to Tendrils you and they cannot make you discard... They can still murder you with Goblins.

Aug 2011
    Rice Lake, WI

in my quest to stabilize the deck a little....
    you will notice I cut songs and a petal for chrome mox and Chandra.
    4 arid mesa
    3 plateau
    1 plains
    3 mountain
    4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors

3 lotus petal
    2 chrome mox
    4 chalice of the void

4 blood moon
    4 sneak attack

3 nahiri, harbinger
    3 Chandra, torch of defiance

4 through the breach
    4 simian spirit guide
    3 griselbrand
    3 inferno Titan
    2 emrakul
    2 worldspine wurm

Aug 2011
    Rice Lake, WI

Any good results lately?

Jan 2017
    TN

https://youtu.be/GRJ55hWeszI

In case you guys wanted some footage. 1st two rounds are Big Red. It's a little old. Ended up losing in the semis to Zach Koch with some very timely countermagic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any good results lately?
    Well, since you asked... :D

First off, thanks for that new list! 6 Planeswalkers is pretty steep for me, but it does look good so far. That being said, I tweaked your last list a bit, and placed in the top 3 of a 3v3 Legacy tournament. Here's the decklist:

[deck]
    18 LANDS
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Arid Mesa
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Mountain
    1 Plains
    3 Plateau

13 CREATURES
    3 Griselbrand
    2 Inferno Titan
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Worldspine Wurm

8 INSTANTS and SORC.
    4 Seething Song
    4 Through the Breach

21 OTHER SPELLS
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Mox Diamond
    4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    4 Sneak Attack

SIDEBOARD
    3 Faerie Macabre
    2 Ingot Chewer
    2 Kozilek's Return
    1 Rest in Peace
    2 Shattering Spree
    2 Sudden Shock
    3 Trinisphere
    [/deck]

I'm not 100% sure how good that board is, but it seemed to be a step in the right direction for me in a meta filled with MUD, Eldrazi, and Death and Taxes. My other teammates were an Omni-Tell deck, and an Elf combo deck. Here's how things worked out from my end of the table:

Round 1, VS Burn

My teammate fanned open his hand and I ended up reporting him to the judge because it contained a Dig Through Time(!). I was panicking inside because I knew that was gonna turn into a basic Island, and if he ran 4 copies of DTT...

Well, thankfully, he only ran 1, and it didn't occur to him why nobody has provided him with an Omni list that didn't feature DTT during our weeks of planning. Meanwhile, my opponent opened with a turn 1 Monastery Swiftspear, and I opened with a first-turn Sneak Attack via Seething Song into Griselbrand into draw-7 into Mox Diamond into Emrakul. Onto game 2!

Sideboarding: -4 Blood Moon, -3 Nahiri, +3 Trinisphere, +2 Sudden Shock, +2 Kozilek's Return

Game 2, he opens with a Swiftspear again, and I open with a hand meant to Sneak on the second turn, albeit all I have at the moment is one Titan. He gets another Swiftspear, brings me down to around 13 life via shenanigans, and I get 5 mana on turn 2, pop in the Titan, kill both Swiftspears, then deal damage to him. We durdle a few turns, he brings me down to 6 life, I topdeck a Worldspine Wurm and Sneak it in. Meanwhile, my Omnitell teammate recovered from a game 1 loss to take games 2 and 3, so our Elven friend didn't have to go to game 3 himself.

1-0

Round 2, VS Elves

I keep a hand of 6 that featured a second-turn Sneak Attack, and a Worldspine Wurm. He goes first, and opens with a DRS, I topdeck a Seething Song, and whoops, that makes for my second turn-1 fatty in this tournament.

Sideboarding: -4 Blood Moon, -3 Nahiri, +3 Trinisphere, +2 Sudden Shock, +2 Kozilek's Return

I mulligan to 6 with this hand: Fetchland, Ancient Tomb, Kozilek's Return, Chalice of the Void, Sneak Attack, Griselbrand.

He opens with a Quirion Ranger, I open with a Chalice. He plays a second land, I start setting up for a Sneak Attack into Griselbrand for turn 3 or 4. On turn 3, he plays a Rec Sage on my Chalice. On my turn 3, I topdecked a Monkey, so I jam Grisel in, draw a bunch, jam Emrakul in, and win. My Elven teammate won this time, giving my Omnitell teammate a quick reprieve from his grindy matchup.

2-0

Round 3, VS MUD Eldrazi

Resley is one of the best MUD players I know of, and my only way to win was via comboing out before he can get stable. He goes first, but I had a turn 1 Blood Moon on me via Mox Diamond and Sol Land, and I knew I had a huge advantage from there. He durdles a few turns until I assemble Nahiri for the Ultimate. First time that plan worked for me, though.

Sideboarding: -4 Chalice of the Void, +2 Shattering Spree, +2 Ingot Chewer

I got another turn 1 Blood Moon, but he quickly stabilized before I found my combo, as he had Pithing Needle for Sneak Attack, then proceeded to use Ugin to clear my board of hosers. It was academic from there, with a Thought-Knot Seer in play.

Game 3 was more of the same. First-turn Blood Moon, no combo coming my way, and after a feeble Sneak Attack into a Titan, I draw into nothing and get beaten down by a pair of TKS's.

2-1

Round 4, VS BR Reanimator

I know I had a huge disadvantage here, but whatever. I won the die roll, opened a hand of lands, Simian Spirit Guide, Nahiri, and Sneak Attack, and didn't want to mull what seemed like a solid hand just missing either a fatty or acceleration. Of course, my opponent quickly revealed that he was Reanimator, and I lost to Griselbrand + Iona in play.

Sideboarding: -4 Blood Moon, -3 Nahiri (I keep boarding her out! Am I doing this wrong?), +3 Trinisphere, +3 Faerie Macabre, +1 Rest In Peace

My opening hand was beautiful. Nahiri, lands, Mox Diamond, Chalice, RIP, Sneak Attack.

Game 2 opens with a Chalice, and Juancho, my opponent, immediately frowns. This was followed by a turn 2 Rest In Peace, and me having just enough mana for Sneak Attack in play the turn after. He Unmasks my Griselbrand on his turn, I draw a blank. He tries to destroy my Chalice on his turn, but little did we know my next topdeck was Griselbrand again. I Griselbrand into Emrakul, and head to Game 3.

Game 3, he opens with a Faithless Looting, but nothing after. I open with a Trinisphere. I then TTB into a Titan, and bring him down to 5 life, and my reasoning from this point was he can't Reanimate or Exhume but only use Animate Dead, since I have a Titan who would deal 6 damage to him before his own creature could even swing or block. Eventually, I get Nahiri in on the action, and win from there.

Overall, the deck choice was great. Most people have me on combo as I've been a career combo player, but nobody expected that my combo deck was going to be one that also ran Chalice and Blood Moon in the maindeck. Needless to say, if I could figure out a good way to stabilize my W mana and find a better card to board than Nahiri, I would really love to run this more moving forward.

Aug 2011
    Rice Lake, WI

I like your list. Cutting seething songs really hurt the deck.

Thread Information