Page 54 of 59 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1180

Thread: Big Red (Mono-R Sneak Attack)

Re: Big Red (Mono-R Sneak Attack)

With the versatile Abrade now available, aren't Ingot Chewer and Shattering Spree usually not necessary?

I went to a team Trios tournament on the weekend. There were a lot of great players and we placed 7th out of 56.

I went 4-2 (probably would have been 5-2 if my one match finished)

I played this:
    4 Petal
    4 SSg
    2 Emrakul
    2 Wurm
    3 Griselbrand
    3 Inferno Titan
    2 Seething Song
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    10 Mountain
    1 Sandstone Needle
    2 Fiery Confluence
    2 Chandra, Torch
    4 Chalice
    4 Moon
    4 Sneak
    4 Breach
    1 Spyglass

SB
    1 Spyglass
    3 Macabre
    1 Confluence
    1 Chandra
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Abrade
    2 Kozilek's Return

Round 1
    Played against UR Delver. Blindly kept a 3 Chalice hand on the play.
    Chalice on 1, countered the 2nd, Chalice on 2 and he was done playing cards for that game.
    I thought I was going to lose game 2 but I won. Can't remember how.

1-0

Round 2

I haven't played much legacy in the last year so when I saw my opponent play a Swamp and Volc before I Emrakuled him, I thought he was on Grixis Delver.
    Game 2, I realized he was on Czech Pile. I don't really know what happened in this match, but I didn't win the last 2 games.

1-1

Round 3

Good player on burn. Won game one quick. Game two, burn didn't do very well against Inferno Titan.

2-1

Round 4

Guy who has annoyed me with endless ruleslaywering in previous tournaments years ago. No clue what he's playing for like the first 10 turns. He plays forests and trops and counters my stuff. Simian beating him down. He plays Aluren. Ahh. Emrakul takes away his lands and he chumps. Eventually kill him with Wurm. Game 2 he counters my stuff and gets the combo. I think I'd be a huge fav to win game 3 but my teammates win. Let's call it 3-1

3-1

Round 5

UR Delver again. The guy says he hasn't lost all day. I win game 1 mull to 5 game 2 and lose. Mull game 3 iirc and it doesn't look good. Eventually I resolve a sneak. He gets me to 1. I unreal and draw a second threat and win.

4-1

Round 6

Sneak and show. I don't know what I'm playing against and proudly drop turn 1 Blood Moon. That doesn't do much. I draw 2 more and lose to a sneak. Game 2 I resolve chalice on 1 but he counters my important spells and I lose.

4-2

Round 7

I'm playing against that big red deck with Hazoret that's just worse. After some Chandra battles I just win with a fatty.

5-2

Pretty happy!

Questions: against UR Delver do we want Abrade or Confluence? No room for both. Confluence does more but is hard to cast. Abrade can also sometimes kill the annoying 1/3 flier...

I feel we should have something in the SB for sneak and show. Maybe 2 more cards. What though?

Quote Originally Posted by jbone2016 View Post
    So there was a Big red player that finished in the top 16 (lost on camera round 10?). I would like to take a look at their list (since cardtitan hasn't posted them). Anybody who know he is?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    On that round 10, it seems that he exiled an additional ssg in turn two for nth. That may have caused him the game because if he did not, he can hard cast it to draw out the STP from the maverick player

Quote Originally Posted by ryanghall View Post
    I went to a team Trios tournament on the weekend. There were a lot of great players and we placed 7th out of 56.

I went 4-2 (probably would have been 5-2 if my one match finished)

I played this:
    4 Petal
    4 SSg
    2 Emrakul
    2 Wurm
    3 Griselbrand
    3 Inferno Titan
    2 Seething Song
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    10 Mountain
    1 Sandstone Needle
    2 Fiery Confluence
    2 Chandra, Torch
    4 Chalice
    4 Moon
    4 Sneak
    4 Breach
    1 Spyglass

SB
    1 Spyglass
    3 Macabre
    1 Confluence
    1 Chandra
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Abrade
    2 Kozilek's Return

Round 1
    Played against UR Delver. Blindly kept a 3 Chalice hand on the play.
    Chalice on 1, countered the 2nd, Chalice on 2 and he was done playing cards for that game.
    I thought I was going to lose game 2 but I won. Can't remember how.

1-0

Round 2

I haven't played much legacy in the last year so when I saw my opponent play a Swamp and Volc before I Emrakuled him, I thought he was on Grixis Delver.
    Game 2, I realized he was on Czech Pile. I don't really know what happened in this match, but I didn't win the last 2 games.

1-1

Round 3

Good player on burn. Won game one quick. Game two, burn didn't do very well against Inferno Titan.

2-1

Round 4

Guy who has annoyed me with endless ruleslaywering in previous tournaments years ago. No clue what he's playing for like the first 10 turns. He plays forests and trops and counters my stuff. Simian beating him down. He plays Aluren. Ahh. Emrakul takes away his lands and he chumps. Eventually kill him with Wurm. Game 2 he counters my stuff and gets the combo. I think I'd be a huge fav to win game 3 but my teammates win. Let's call it 3-1

3-1

Round 5

UR Delver again. The guy says he hasn't lost all day. I win game 1 mull to 5 game 2 and lose. Mull game 3 iirc and it doesn't look good. Eventually I resolve a sneak. He gets me to 1. I unreal and draw a second threat and win.

4-1

Round 6

Sneak and show. I don't know what I'm playing against and proudly drop turn 1 Blood Moon. That doesn't do much. I draw 2 more and lose to a sneak. Game 2 I resolve chalice on 1 but he counters my important spells and I lose.

4-2

Round 7

I'm playing against that big red deck with Hazoret that's just worse. After some Chandra battles I just win with a fatty.

5-2

Pretty happy!

Questions: against UR Delver do we want Abrade or Confluence? No room for both. Confluence does more but is hard to cast. Abrade can also sometimes kill the annoying 1/3 flier...

I feel we should have something in the SB for sneak and show. Maybe 2 more cards. What though?
    Thanks for the tournament report.
    As for Abrade or Confluence against UR Delver, I will say Confluence is better here because it can clear the board and buy you a little bit of time.

Also, confluence is more meaningful in other matchup as well

Hoogland recently wrote a short article on this deck and I was surprised to see he doesn't side in Trinisphere against Grixis Delver. Is that correct?

Hoogland recently wrote a short article on this deck and I was surprised to see he doesn't side in Trinisphere against Grixis Delver. Is that correct?
    Do you have link to that article? Thanks

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
    Thanks for the tournament report.
    As for Abrade or Confluence against UR Delver, I will say Confluence is better here because it can clear the board and buy you a little bit of time.

Also, confluence is more meaningful in other matchup as well
    I agree here, I think confluence is the correct call. There have been a few games where I get Emmy in early, wipe a non existent board and the 6 direct damage from confluence to the dome gets us there.

As for the sneak attack hate, I run 2x ashen rider in my SB on the regular.

I searched for the link but I couldn't find it. 😬

If you go back far enough on his twitter it should be there.

Sep 2013
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
    Do you have link to that article? Thanks
    http://www.gatheringmagic.com/jeffho...ig-red-primer/

Blood Sun is a great topdeck because it draws a card. Neutralizes Karakas, Dark Depths, Brainstorm + fetchland. Way better in this shell than Sorcerous Spyglass ever was? I think that Big Red rises up a tier with this card.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

I hate MTGO and all it stands for, all my matches with the deck I've been mana-flooded like crazy... I only run 19 lands... -_- urghhhh

PS: Haven't posted on this in quite some time.
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    Blood Sun is a great topdeck because it draws a card. Neutralizes Karakas, Dark Depths, Brainstorm + fetchland. Way better in this shell than Sorcerous Spyglass ever was? I think that Big Red rises up a tier with this card.
    where would you find room? Straight swap for moon?

Etali, Primal Storm. Magical Christmas land card of extra turn with Emrakul. Too bad top is banned and we don't run a brainstorm/sylvan library -like effect for setting it up.

Potential 1-of in an Inferno Titan slot for those of us feeling extra lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Zooligan View Post
    where would you find room? Straight swap for moon?
    Potentially keep 1 Blood Moon, straight swap #2-4. Moon has a stronger effect, but you don't want duplicates unless they cantrip.

I'd swap one main and one in the board for the Spyglasses. No way I'm taking Blood Moons out of the main. And occasionally it is good to have more than 1 Blood Moon on board (like against Lands after SB)

Also, Etali is not playable in this deck.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

I'd swap one main and one in the board for the Spyglasses. No way I'm taking Blood Moons out of the main. And occasionally it is good to have more than 1 Blood Moon on board (like against Lands after SB)
    +1

I run 2x magus in the sb and don't think i'll even be taking those out. Grip can't kill Magus.

I see why you do that but I feel like it's kind of overkill. We're almost always winning g1 against lands and we should be able to win one of the next 2 without Magus. I feel like the slots should be used on something else.

I'm thinking about posting a full sideboarding list for critique. Anyone interested in that?

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

I see why you do that but I feel like it's kind of overkill. We're almost always winning g1 against lands and we should be able to win one of the next 2 without Magus. I feel like the slots should be used on something else.

I'm thinking about posting a full sideboarding list for critique. Anyone interested in that?
    Yes, I am interested. Would be curious to see.
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Jan 2013
    Land of Snow and Purple Rain

Also, Etali is not playable in this deck.
    I beg to differ.

Does anyone still play this deck forum seems very quiet especially as it was on feature fairly recently.

I am playing Zac Elsiks list from the SCG but been struggling with sideboarding and the lack of Chandra's in his list seems a little wierd.

Also so far Blood Sun has been pretty underwhelming - others thoughts?

Thread Information