Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Red (Mono-R Sneak Attack)

Re: Big Red (Mono-R Sneak Attack)

How useful is a singleton Sundering Titan in the deck? I get the sneaking suspicion that it's an absolute beating against RUG and BUG, and it doesn't even have to be main.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    How useful is a singleton Sundering Titan in the deck? I get the sneaking suspicion that it's an absolute beating against RUG and BUG, and it doesn't even have to be main.
    I like the card too, but I don't think it belongs here because:
    • it's not synergic with blood moon (which is one of the best cards against RUG and BUG)
    • you can only play it via SA or TtB, but if you are able to resolve one of those against RUG or BUG it means you have a chance at winning and you should drop something bigger

Mar 2012
    Ithaca, Ny

Agree with KingTk: great idea, bad execution. The RUg and BUg matchups are about resolving a sneak effect, any of the current targets will win the game if you manage to resolve one. If you want to add threats for either matchup, wurmcoil is your best bet. Lifelink vs RUg, 3 cards to deal with it vs BUg. If you wanna blow people out with turn 2/3 sundering titan, play Birthing Pod + artifacts + Myr Enforcer...props Doug McKay.

Quote Originally Posted by hdeck12 View Post
    @kingtk: Sweeeeeeeet! Nothing like 30 damage out of two mountains to close out a match! Can't wait to get more info on Koth, haven't tried him yet. I agree about faithless, it's a terrible digger, especially when you have a top in play. Unfortunately in red, our shovels are limited. Whats your argument for dismember? I'm assuming an answer to teeg/thalia/delver/bob? But if your argument for dismember over bolt is using colorless, chances are you're taking 2 from tomb as well, and 6 points seems like a lot to give up in the aggro match. Seems like one red would be more affordable than 6 life?

@All: When I first started playing this, my favorite opponent reaction was when I played sandstone needle "wait, what, I need to to read that?" It has very quickly become "wait...the tokens have trample too? ::opponent scoops up board::"!

XDXDXD i love that reaction !!! when the opponet see the sandstone and says but it enter tapped?¿?¿? yes sure!!! be carefull on your next turn bro!!!
    and then happens what @hdeck12 says.... 15/15 trample..OK! 3 tokens with trample aggre¿? WITH TRAMPLE!!!!! XDXDXD

On the BOM trial i had played the list with 1 koth and faithless. in my opinion koth could be dangerous against sword to plowshares and removal liko those that can let you with out lands, and looting i think is difficult to play. drawing 2 cards is so fun the problems comes when you have to discard. if you have crap in hand its nice card so i think the deck is better with out any of two cards. im just preparing a new big red list changing few cards getting better the paring against control decks.
    I ll post it to see what you think about my little monster!! XD

have fun

Mar 2012
    Ithaca, Ny

Has anyone done any serious testing against the Omni-Hall deck that won BOM? I imagine it's a pretty terrible matchup but I haven't been able to find time with my teammates to figure it out yet. I've been back and fourth on trinisphere for a while but if that deck wins over a bunch of sneak show players I think a set will be necessary. Any other ideas on beating this monstrosity with Mountains? What does everyone think about Word of Seizing? It could steal Laboratory Maniac for an instant win or omniscience to buy a turn if they go with the Release the Ants play. It could also steal a Jace or Liliana to ultimate their owner, how much fun would THAT be! In a long game it it could help deal with hate cards? Thoughts, other ideas?
    -H

Mar 2012
    Ithaca, Ny

I guess that wouldn't be an instant win or an extra turn, taking lab man they could just counter their own brainstorm and taking omniscience they could just wait and brainstorm on our upkeep :-(. I don't see sudden shock being good enough in any other match up. Maybe its just time to fill the board with REBs?

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Has anyone done any serious testing against the Omni-Hall deck that won BOM? I imagine it's a pretty terrible matchup but I haven't been able to find time with my teammates to figure it out yet. I've been back and fourth on trinisphere for a while but if that deck wins over a bunch of sneak show players I think a set will be necessary. Any other ideas on beating this monstrosity with Mountains? What does everyone think about Word of Seizing? It could steal Laboratory Maniac for an instant win or omniscience to buy a turn if they go with the Release the Ants play. It could also steal a Jace or Liliana to ultimate their owner, how much fun would THAT be! In a long game it it could help deal with hate cards? Thoughts, other ideas?
    -H
    I haven't tested very much but this are my conclusions based on my esperience with both decks

BE FASTER
    Omnihall is very consistent but it's not the fastest combo out there. We can occasionally win a turn before them tanks to our acceleration. Omnihalls being basically a 3-card combo deck works in our favor because if they want/need to stop us the will use FoW, pitching cards they probably need to go off: Omnihalls is a very card hungry deck.

PLAY SOME RESISTOR
    Trinisphere literally stops this deck from winning with release the ants; even winning through maniac is much slower and gives us time to kill them. Moreover, if they cannot win on the spot show and tell become OUR best card because we will cheat into play something they probably cannot handle.

PLAY SOME DEFENSE, BUT SOME OFFENSE TOO
    Defense grid is wonderful because it blanks their counters, but it's only relevant if we play something that they can't ingnore. So I feel it's correct to side in some REBs too because they could disrupt their plan AND can be used to protect our threats too.

My last tournament I sided in 3 defense grid, 3 trinisphere and 2 REBs for 4 blood moon, 2 koth and 2 chaos warp and won because after I landed a trinisphere my opponent played a Show and Tell allowing me to cheat a wurm on the field and he hadn't enough mana to play all the spells he needed before I killed him. I was lucky too, because I drew defense grid and trinisphere.

If I were to play this deck in a omnihalls field I would up the trinisphere to 4 and include something like chalice of the void or thorn of amethist or more rebs

Isn't Pyrostatic Pillar an autowin against the Release killcon from Onmitell?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    Isn't Pyrostatic Pillar an autowin against the Release killcon from Onmitell?
    Nope, they have multiple answers to it that they can pull off after the initial combo (drawing their whole deck). Bounces are the most common, but when youc an play any spell for free you just need to take your pick as far as what wish targets you want to grab.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:
    Special thanks to Bornnover for the banner used in those articles.

-H
    Hello every one

in my opinion we have vantage against omnidreams... they only has 4 fow to protect to our turn 1,2,3 combo. of course they can win fast too, but is not normal in this version.
    besides im just playing a new list with a 4 REB side removing triniespheres, otherwise i have thought about playing word of seizing and seems that is a good slot against lot of cards so i will test it and i will post my inpressions.

Here is my last list, i have not played any tournament yet with this list but testing friends with different decks looks nice.

4 top
    4 sneak attack
    4 trhought the breach
    4 siminan spirit guide
    4 emrakul
    3 griselbrand
    3 wurm
    2 chaos warp
    4 seething song
    2 pyromancy
    1 lotus petal
    4 blood moon
    3 defense grid
    5 fetch
    4 mountain
    3 sandstone needle
    4 ancient tomb
    2 city of traitors

side

4 leyline of sanctity
    2 pyroclasm
    1 volcanic fallout
    2 pyroblast
    2 REB
    2 fairy macabre
    2 grafsdigger cage

i wanna try to play -1 volvanic fallout -1 REB +

glad to take your views

joy

-H
    Hello every one

in my opinion we have vantage against omnidreams... they only has 4 fow to protect to our turn 1,2,3 combo. of course they can win fast too, but is not normal in this version.
    besides im just playing a new list with a 4 REB side removing triniespheres, otherwise i have thought about playing word of seizing and seems that is a good slot against lot of cards so i will test it and i will post my inpressions.

Here is my last list, i have not played any tournament yet with this list but testing friends with different decks looks nice.

4 top
    4 sneak attack
    4 trhought the breach
    4 siminan spirit guide
    4 emrakul
    3 griselbrand
    3 wurm
    2 chaos warp
    4 seething song
    2 pyromancy
    1 lotus petal
    4 blood moon
    3 defense grid
    5 fetch
    4 mountain
    3 sandstone needle
    4 ancient tomb
    2 city of traitors

side

4 leyline of sanctity
    2 pyroclasm
    1 volcanic fallout
    2 pyroblast
    2 REB
    2 fairy macabre
    2 grafsdigger cage

i wanna try to play -1 volvanic fallout -1 REB + 2 word of seizing

glad to take your views

joy

Dec 2011
    IL

I participated in a TCG player bronze event today. It's been awhile since I've played, so my list might be a bit outdated. I made top 4 and we decided to chop the prizes. Here's a quick summary from what I can recall.

4 emakrul eons torn
    4 blightsteel colossus
    3 griselbrand
    2 worldspine wurm
    1 inferno titan
    4 simian spirit guide

4 sneak attack
    4 through the breach
    4 seething song
    3 defense grid
    2 sensei's divining top
    3 blood moon
    2 pyromancy
    1 lotus petal

4 ancient tomb
    3 city of traitors
    4 sandstone needle
    2 bloodstained mire
    1 wooded foothills
    5 mountain

Sideboard
    2 koth of the hammer
    1 defense grid
    1 chaos warp
    2 volcanic fallout
    1 blood moon
    3 trinisphere
    1 chalice of the void
    2 pyroblast
    2 other cards I can't remember

Round 1 - b/w deadguy

This match went by pretty quick. I resolved a turn 2 blood moon both games and he conceded almost on the spot.
    2-0

Round 2 - u/w countertop

He starts out game 1 with a mulligan into turn one top. I start with a sandstone needle. My opponent plays a counterbalance and passes. On my turn, I seething song into a pyromancy to play around a daze (it's been awhile but I recall some lists packing it). He lets pyromancy resolve. He lays a land and passes the turn. He cliques me in my draw step and I reveal ancient tomb, griselbrand, blightsteel and worldspine wurm and sneak attack. He tucks the sneak attack. I kill him off with pyromancy the next two turns.
    Game two, I bring in pyromancy, blood moon and koth. He starts off with another mulligan into two basic land drops and a top. While he was tapped out, I turn 2 through the breach an emakrul to knock him to off his basics. He misses land drops and I resolve another through the breach a couple of turns later and emakrul finishes him off.
    2-0

Round 3 - dredge

Not much to say here. I mulligan both games and die promptly on turn 2, games 1 and 2.
    0-2

Round 4 - storm
    This match went kinda quick. He starts off with a volcanic island into ponder. I play a sandstone needle. He plays another ponder and drops underground sea. I resolve blood moon, we play draw go til I resolve a through the breach with a blightsteel.
    Game 2 he leads with a land into ponder. I resolve a turn 1 trinisphere followed by a blood moon. We proceed to play draw go again until I hit 5 mana for through the breach into worldspine wurm.
    2-0

We decided to chop the prize so we could leave early but the top 4 consisted of all combo. It was made up of dredge, belcher, tin fins and ME with shitters.

Lemme know whats good.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by xdavisx View Post
    I participated in a TCG player bronze event today. It's been awhile since I've played, so my list might be a bit outdated. I made top 4 and we decided to chop the prizes. Here's a quick summary from what I can recall.

4 emakrul eons torn
    4 blightsteel colossus
    3 griselbrand
    2 worldspine wurm
    1 inferno titan
    4 simian spirit guide

4 sneak attack
    4 through the breach
    4 seething song
    3 defense grid
    2 sensei's divining top
    3 blood moon
    2 pyromancy
    1 lotus petal

4 ancient tomb
    3 city of traitors
    4 sandstone needle
    2 bloodstained mire
    1 wooded foothills
    5 mountain

Sideboard
    2 koth of the hammer
    1 defense grid
    1 chaos warp
    2 volcanic fallout
    1 blood moon
    3 trinisphere
    1 chalice of the void
    2 pyroblast
    2 other cards I can't remember

Lemme know whats good.
    'Gratz on your finish!
    I like the way you add more threats to the deck while lowering the top's count: after all if you have more business is easier to draw one.

What I don't like are the blightsteels because they are not synergic with the rest of the deck: it's your only source of infect and if the opponent would manage to drop a x/2 creature you'll need another colossus or the first one would have been ineffective.

I would try to fit more wurms because I think they are almost ever the best thing you can drop off a TtB because of it's die ability.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I built a version of Big Red for my friend to play while he does a casual tour of Legacy tournaments. He casually goes 4-0 in a weekly event, then top 8s a larger event aat 3-1-1 with barely knowing what the cards do! Haha

I will post the deck later as I'm on my phone. Trinisphere in the SB is very very good and needs to be a 4 of
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I built a version of Big Red for my friend to play while he does a casual tour of Legacy tournaments. He casually goes 4-0 in a weekly event, then top 8s a larger event aat 3-1-1 with barely knowing what the cards do! Haha

I will post the deck later as I'm on my phone. Trinisphere in the SB is very very good and needs to be a 4 of
    Agree on trinisphere: it just wrecks any combo deck except Big Red, whose only spell under 3 is top.

I'd love to see your list.

This deck is one of the funniest I've played in the last months: smashing people faces with 15/15 while being able of turn 1 powerful play like Blood Moon or trinisphere? It's like playing the monster deck I had when I was fourteen but not scrubbing against optimized meta decks.

Dec 2011
    IL

@kingtk3
    I know the general consensus over past 6 months or so is that blightsteel doesn't belong in the deck. While I agree on some of the arguments, I'm also a firm believer that you can't underestimate the deck's possibility of free wins. It helps race combo while giving some extra beef for pyromancy. The blightsteel has always been good to me.

Mar 2012
    Ithaca, Ny

Congrats to everyone stomping face with just mountains!

Anyone else heading to SCG open in Philly this weekend?

Updates on deck construction (I haven't settled on a list but these are the thoughts I'm processing this week and hoping to evaluate before friday)
    1. Griselbrand, 3/60.
    2. Trinisphere, 4/75
    3. Inferno Titan or Sudden Shock, 1/75.
    4. Chalice/Defense Grid, Awesome because they cost 2, Moon/Trinishpere, way better in the current meta, but cost 3 :-/....math is hard!
    5. 4th sandstone vs 3rd city of traitors, depends on where numbers 4 and 6 land.
    6. Karakas still seems good, new rules will change that, also depends on the moon count.
    7. No one has convinced me Koth is good enough yet. Has anyone actually won a game with him?
    8. REBS/Pyroblasts will most likely take the place of All chalices and X Defense grids.
    9. I want to fit in a Word of Seizing but it might be too greedy or "too cute"
    10. Some combination of top/faithless probably 5/60, maybe 6/60.

Happy smashing
    -H

Dec 2011
    IL

I have yet to resolve a koth but I like it in theory against u/w/x decks. The more I think about it, the more i like words of seizing. I can see scenarios where it can just steal games against the problem match ups.
    Last edited by xdavisx; 06-18-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

hello
    i had played one list looks very similar to this on Bom 7 and also i saw you playing first day sneky and tin fins on main even.
    i played with 4 leylines of sanctity. they are fantastic if you draw one in your first hand, if not those are 4 dead cards in your deck. i have an small tournament this weekend, i know im going to play big red but dont know what list, so im open to your opinions.

i think 2 pyroclasm and 3 titan is enought agains creatures. i play 2 grafddiger and 2 macabres agains grave and in my opinion this deck have to play alwais at least 2 chaos warp. im agree with @hdeck12 i like better pyromancy than koth. against control decks your mountans can eat some sword to plow that leave you with out of lands.
    i want to test word of seazing, could be fine stealing a jace with 13 counters or a creature to end the game. Desfense grid is quite good card against control decks, one time you played the grid you can cast everything or attack with a wurm fearless to sword to plow.

sorry for my spelling errors i know i have to inprove my english...XDXD that happens when you live in spain..XDXD

joy

Thread Information