Thread: M13 Metagame and Post RTR Metagame Speculation

M13 Metagame and Post RTR Metagame Speculation

After M13, these are the decks that have Top 8'd the most large tournaments (I define that as 129+) according to MTGDecks.net

1. UW/x Miracle - 17
    2. RUG Delver - 16
    3. GW/x Maverick - 14
    3. UW/x Blade Control - 14
    5. Dredge - 8
    6. R/x Goblins - 6
    7. UB/x Storm - 4
    8. UR/x Omni-Tell - 3
    8. GR Belcher - 3
    8. U Merfolk - 3

You're welcome.

BTW, I define miracle as any deck with CounterTop. So there are "Miracle" decks with SFM that I do not classify as "Blade Control".

It's interesting to note that Show and Tell is not doing well at all, in terms of Top 8 finishes. I'm a Show and Tell player, and I'm happy about this. I'm sure that if Show and Tell becomes dominant, then it'll get hit by the banhammer, which will instantly make my 4 $50 pieces of cardboard worth a lot less. If you saw Max Tietze's game against Omni-Tell, it was pretty awesome when his opp flipped an Omniscience and Max flipped Angel of Despair, after a resolved S&T. There are so many tools out there to make S&T strategies miserable.

One final thing to note is these are just Top 8's and say nothing about how much the deck was played and its win percentage.

What do you guys think of the post RTR metagame? The main cards I'd say are Supreme Verdict, Abrupt Decay, Rest in Peace, and maybe the two hybrid one mana green dudes.

Things look better for Blade Control, worse for Miracle (since Blade Control is more viable and Abrupt Decay kills Counterbalance), worse for creature decks, and worse for graveyard decks (RIP + Helm combo is definitely going to become at least a Tier 2 deck, it has CounterTop + ETutor and a whole bunch of great targets in addition to Detention Sphere)

Re: M13 Metagame and Post RTR Metagame Speculation

Abrupt Decay is a card searching for a home, sadly. Most of the existing BG decks that want it are not well-positioned for various reasons, and it's not worth it to splash black or green in many existing decks instead of playing more narrow, on-color answers.

Supreme Verdict makes Miracles better, presumably.

Rest in Peace is probably overhyped, but it's hard to say by how much.

Judge's Familiar is probably worth testing in Maverick, but my enthusiasm for Dryad Militant has cooled. Savannah Lions are not that hot anymore, and the ability feels like it will do less than people are hoping.

Miracles' position in the meta will probably improve, to the likely detriment of Maverick. Combo might make a comeback if Miracle decks move away from the CounterTop model and towards a Landstill one, but that doesn't strike me as likely.

Abrupt Decay works best in GBw Slide because it can be re-used and is versatile and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Abrupt Decay works best in GBw Slide because it can be re-used and is versatile and cheap.
    That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for Abrupt Decay, you know...

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Dryad Militant was decidedly ho-hum in D+T testing. I am looking forward to what folks will do with Deathrite Shaman.
    That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for Abrupt Decay, you know...
    Yeah, but he relates everything to Slide. :)
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Abrupt Decay seems like a shoe-in in Nic Fit. Not 4, but 2 or 3 seems fine.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I would think that tempo-based BUG/Team America and Eva-Green would jump on Abrupt Decay faster than flies on shit.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information