Thread: Grixis Faeries

Sep 2012
    Denver, CO

Grixis Faeries

This is the list I plan on testing for Modern. I like playing these three colors and enjoy the power level that faeries bring to the table.

Lands (23)
    4x Watery Grave
    4x Steam Vents
    3x Mutavault
    4x Scalding Tarn
    3x Island
    3x Swamp
    2x Tectonic Edge

Creatures (12)
    4x Spellstutter Sprite
    2x Snapcaster Mage
    3x Vendilion Clique
    3x Mistbind Clique

Artifacts (4)
    4x Aether Vial

Sorceries (4)
    4x Inquisition of Kozilek

Planeswalker (2)
    2x Liliana of the Veil

Instants (15)
    4x Remand
    3x Cryptic Command
    2x Mana Leak
    2x Go for the Throat
    4x Lightning Bolt

May 2011
    Ontario, Canada

Re: Grixis Faeries

I'm not going to lie, this deck looks embarrassingly terrible. Red for only Lightning Bolt? Maybe some bad board options? And because of this, you feel like you need to play 4 Steam Vents?

Only 4 fetchlands? UB Faeries has proven to be worse than UR Faeries, and you're combining the worst of the worst. UR Faeries is great because it not only has Lightning Bolt, it has Grim Lavamancer and Blood Moon. Believe it or not, these cards are the reason to play red, not Lightning Bolt.

What else can I chew on... 8 shocklands is absurd. Legacy decks don't play 8 dual lands. Cryptic Command should be a 4-of, and your mana base can't really support Tectonic Edge. The Mana Leak/Remand should be a 3-3 split, not a 4-2.

Perhaps I can point you in the correct direction?

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=379200

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think if you're going to splash red then you need these cards:

Terminate
    Grim Lavamancer

I can imagine those beside Bolt to make the deck better, but only red for bolt seems bad.

I also can't imagine why, for the life of me, that you would want Aether Vial in this deck. You are playing faeries, one of the best draw-go decks of all time. Your threats have flash, seriously WTF?

Rough list (that I think would still be bad):

4x Spellstutter Sprite
    3x Mistbind Clique
    3x Vendilion Clique
    3x Snapcaster Mage
    3x Ninja of the Deep Hours
    2x Grim Lavamancer

4x Lightning Bolt
    3x Terminate
    3x Mana Leak
    3x Remand
    4x Vapor Snag
    2x Inquisition of Kozilek
    2x Duress

4x Scalding Tarn
    2x Misty Rainforest
    2x Marsh Flats
    2x Steam Vents
    1x Blood Crypt
    1x Watery Grave
    3x Island
    3x Swamp
    2x Mountain
    1x Ghost Quarter

That would be a fairly strong tempo deck, Ninja and Snapcasters giving you a lot of card advantage. I don't like Cryptic Command in a 3 color deck, its just too tough to pull off (IMHO.)

I really like Vapor Snag for a deck like faeries...it provides a big tempo loss, feeds your graveyard for Grim Lavamancer, gets threats back to hand so you can counter them, or just clear the path for Ninja while pinging for 1.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nice list Safety. I would conider cutting a Clique, as good as it is for a singleton of cryptic command. It really is THAT good.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    baghdadbob, you're Team Scrubbad's spirit animal.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Yes, I know it's THAT good...it just takes A LOT of careful planning/fetching to be able to do it turn 4+. Grims provide reach and Mistbind Clique giving you a Time Walk, while beating for 4, seems to be much better. I can't argue with Cryptic's goodness, but it feels mid-range when you really want to be playing tempo. *shrug*
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information