SB: 1 [RTR] Rest in Peace
    SB: 3 [LE] Glowrider
    SB: 1 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    SB: 1 [MI] Cursed Totem
    SB: 1 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 3 [LRW] Burrenton Forge-Tender
    SB: 1 [10E] Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 [CHK] Ghostly Prison

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Since Thalia is quite good in the current format, I'm toying with the idea to put together a deck that taxes your opponent as much as possible while being relatively unaffected.

This is just a rough draw, so more input is very welcome:

4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    4 [EX] City of Traitors
    11 [10E] Plains (2)
    1 [LG] Karakas
    4 [MR] Chrome Mox

4 [UL] Mother of Runes
    4 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic
    4 [DKA] Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 [MBS] Phyrexian Revoker
    3 [FUT] Aven Mindcensor
    4 [LE] Glowrider
    4 [ARC] Lodestone Golem

4 [FNM] Swords to Plowshares
    2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    1 [DS] Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 [NPH] Batterskull
    1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine

The deck is pretty self-explanatory:
    Mom for protection, Thalia and Glowrider for taxing, Lodestone Golem as additional tax effect and powerful beater (the self-taxing isn't that bad), Revoker and Mindcensor for utility disruption, SFM for CA and tax evasion.

Not sure about the SB yet.
    Last edited by Barook; 04-01-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Re: Tax & Taxes - Thalia Angel Stompy

No Wasteland?

This is the type of deck I'd like to try Leonin Arbiter+Ghost Quarter in.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by gpowerone View Post
    No Wasteland?

This is the type of deck I'd like to try Leonin Arbiter+Ghost Quarter in.
    Wasteland would be a natural fit, especially with taxing, but you can't really go lower on the white mana source count. And you need the Sol lands to power out your tax stuff to lock them out of the game before they can establish a board position.

For example, this just happened:

T1: Plains, Mom
    T2: Chrome Mox, Tomb, Lodestone Golem
    T3: Swing, Lodestone Golem, GG (also had a Thalia in hand, just in case)

Leonin Arbiter seems terrible and I wouldn't run Ghost Quarter without CoW. But thanks for the input.

I would cut x2 City a plains and shave a slot somewhere else for Wastes.

I don't think there is any reason that is good enough to not play the Wastelands in this deck.

Dread Returned
    Jul 2012
    Maryland

Vial seems nice in this deck, negates the drawback of Lodestone Golem a little and allows you greater resilience to counters
    Currently Playing:
    Dredge, The Rock, Lands, Spiral Tide, Affinity

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Needs moar Dryad Militant. That card is boss as shit against Snapcaster, Lingering Souls, and RUG Tempo in general. Also that other Cursecather one drop for W/U seems legit considering Thalia, and yes you should probably run Wasteland to compliment Thalia, Lodestone, etc.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Snap_Keep View Post
    I would cut x2 City a plains and shave a slot somewhere else for Wastes.

I don't think there is any reason that is good enough to not play the Wastelands in this deck.
    Sounds like a plan. After a bit of testing, I think that might work out. Wasteland is always nice to have.

-1 Plains
    -2 City
    +3 Wasteland

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzeler View Post
    Vial seems nice in this deck, negates the drawback of Lodestone Golem a little and allows you greater resilience to counters
    Maybe, but what to cut? The list is already tight - I certainly can't cut threats anymore or I'm going to end up with even more dead draws. Excess equipment might be a possibility, but so far, I like the utility which the swords provide.

Golem taxing yourself wasn't an issue so far. If you have the mana to cast Golem, the deck is already online, making the extra mana more of a minor nuisance rather than an actual issue.

I'm suprised how much shit Lodestone Golem wrecks, though. He covers what Thalia and Glowrider can't get and puts a nice clock on your opponent.

Cutting Mother of Runes and Swords to Plowshares for Chalice of the Void seems like a step in the right direction to me, also playing that 3/1 First Striker who costs 2 and a Phyrexian Mana seems pretty mandatory also, because that guy is totally boss in Stompy decks especially combined with Umezawa's Jitte. I think Exalted Angel is pretty nuts in something like this as well. You'd also want Thorn of Amethyst some where in here IMO because you may as well play Spheres for density of disruption.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Needs moar Dryad Militant. That card is boss as shit against Snapcaster, Lingering Souls, and RUG Tempo in general. Also that other Cursecather one drop for W/U seems legit considering Thalia, and yes you should probably run Wasteland to compliment Thalia, Lodestone, etc.
    Judge's Familiar might be worth testing, but again, it's questionable in which slot.
    I don't see what's so great about Dryad, though. Taxing already heavily disrupts the things you mentioned. The ideal case is there they can't play many spells anyway. E.g. yesterday, I had a game against W/r Parfait which went like this (was pretty much a god draw, though):

On the play:
    T1: Mox, Tomb, Glowrider
    T2: Land, Golem
    T3: Golem
    T4: Glowrider
    My opponent never got a chance to cast one of the two STPs in his hands and was completely locked out the game.

As for graveyard hate, I'm personally leaning towards an E-Tutor-based SB which includes Rest in Peace - it should get the job much better done than Dryad, plus speed is less of an issue with Chrome Moxen for a potential T1 RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Cutting Mother of Runes and Swords to Plowshares for Chalice of the Void seems like a step in the right direction to me, also playing that 3/1 First Striker who costs 2 and a Phyrexian Mana seems pretty mandatory also, because that guy is totally boss in Stompy decks especially combined with Umezawa's Jitte. I think Exalted Angel is pretty nuts in something like this as well. You'd also want Thorn of Amethyst some where in here IMO because you may as well play Spheres for density of disruption.
    I originally started out with CotV, but I don't think it's worth it to run it in the MD. You DO need creature removal and being forced into MD O-Ring felt clunky and slow if it's your only way to remove fat creatures which your equip can't handle. Plus, STP can handle your tax effects better than O-Ring with your SOL lands and Moxen. I would rather run CotV in the SB, along with O-Rings for various match-ups, including Show&Tell.

The Phyrexian guy sounds interesting, but again, what to cut? It doesn't bring anything towards the disruption table and space is tight.
    I considered Exalted Angel, but hurts its playability here too much. I enjoy being online with only one white source.

Thorn of Amethyst doesn't seem too hot here. It can never be turned into a threat (via equipment) and gets hit by 8 cards (Thalia and Glowrider) in the MD instead of just 4 (Lodestone Golem). I would rather play Judge's Familiar before that.

Thanks for the input, guys!

On a different note:
    As mentioned above, I'm considering an E-Tutor-based SB with CotV, Rest in Peace, O-Ring and Ethersworn Canonist, among other things. Further suggestions?

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

5 equipments is overkill. I don't see how you can benefit from more than 3.
    I dont see any good use of Golem either. Leonin Arbiter should be stronger.
    Glow Rider and Thalia also make C. Mox considerably worse, though I do see that it only matters turn one. Actually - Chrome Mox could be good afterall.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

I heard Preeminent Captain works quite good in a Stompy shell, if you are willing to add more soldiers.

There are some threads about Soldier Stompy here and here.

Luckily, Thalia is also a soldier.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    I heard Preeminent Captain works quite good in a Stompy shell, if you are willing to add more soldiers.

There are some threads about Soldier Stompy here and here.

Luckily, Thalia is also a soldier.
    While we're on this, this looks so fun to play:

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...4&iddeck=65478

I'm not sure if it would work with the deck above but Precinct Captain looks like the two-drop Goblin players have been waiting (but probably will never get)
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    5 equipments is overkill. I don't see how you can benefit from more than 3.
    I dont see any good use of Golem either. Leonin Arbiter should be stronger.
    Glow Rider and Thalia also make C. Mox considerably worse, though I do see that it only matters turn one. Actually - Chrome Mox could be good afterall.
    I agree that the Equipment count is too high, but I'm still in the phase where I'm figuring out which one has to go to the Sb since all of them have nice benefits.

You only want to play Mox on T1 (or T2) anyway due to its card disadvantage. So it isn't a problem at all with taxing effects.

I don't think Leonin Arbiter is any good due to being too conditional. It never made a big splash for a reason.

However, what really suprised me is how good Lodestone Golem actually is. It wreaks havoc in the format which makes wonder why it isn't played more. It was MVP in quite a few games so far and I think it isn't too far-fetched to say it's the best card in the deck (yes, even better than Thalia - I know it sounds weird). It is THAT good.

I'm guessing that the reason that the equipment number was so high was that the old Angel Stompy decks (pre-Stoneforge Mystic) played a ton of equipment. Now with SFM, no deck really needs to run more than three.

You might consider cutting 2-3 equipment from your list and adding Oblivion Ring. I realize that O-Ring has negative synergy with Thalia and Glowrider, but it provides more removal and you can reliably drop it on turn two. It also obviously helps against Show and Tell decks. If you have two Sol Lands in play, you can essentially pay the "tax" for any noncreature spells you run. Maybe for the sideboard anyway.
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I'm guessing that the reason that the equipment number was so high was that the old Angel Stompy decks (pre-Stoneforge Mystic) played a ton of equipment. Now with SFM, no deck really needs to run more than three.

You might consider cutting 2-3 equipment from your list and adding Oblivion Ring. I realize that O-Ring has negative synergy with Thalia and Glowrider, but it provides more removal and you can reliably drop it on turn two. It also obviously helps against Show and Tell decks. If you have two Sol Lands in play, you can essentially pay the "tax" for any noncreature spells you run. Maybe for the sideboard anyway.
    After further playtesting, I'm probably cutting SoFI, at least from the MD. So far, I never wanted to fetch it - Jitte is so much better against Tribal decks and I like the utility/protection of the two black swords.
    The above mentioned Porcelain Legionnaire might be worth considering - he dodges both Thalia/Glowrider and Golem taxing, dominates Mongoose and friends in combat and makes a pretty fancy equipment carrier due to first strike, just like Thalia.

I'm looking for more ways to deal with decks that are quite artifact/enchantment/equipment heavy since they're giving me trouble. O-Rings alone are not a satisfying solution, being rather clunky at that.

If it's repeatable, even better. I might consider Devout Witness to turn dead cards like Moxen or excess Thalias into answers. But the summoning sickness quite frankly sucks.
    Kor Sanctifiers have the problem of to do anything.

Mar 2007

Update:
    I'm also looking for people on MWS to playtest this deck, especiall RUG Delver, Miracle/Blade Control, Goblins, Maverick and S&T variants. After playing it a while, I think the deck has some merits with further fine-tuning.

Devout Witness didn't impress me. Going to try out 2 O-Rings in the main now.

I'm also looking for SB tech to deal with pesky utility creatures like Mom, Lavamancer, etc. - I would prefer an artifact source with repeatable damage.

I'm currently trying out Cursed Scroll, but it seems kinda meh. What are your thoughts about Masticore or Razormane Masticore as E-Tutor target? They're quite heavy on the mana and die to creature removal, though.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Barook, as you may imagine I have tried decks like this from time to time. I like Chalice of the Void instead of Mother of Runes. I also like Windborn Muse with Thalia and Lodestone Golem. I was never happy with the lands and I eventually just dropped City of Traitors before finally going back to what I know best.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Barook, as you may imagine I have tried decks like this from time to time. I like Chalice of the Void instead of Mother of Runes. I also like Windborn Muse with Thalia and Lodestone Golem. I was never happy with the lands and I eventually just dropped City of Traitors before finally going back to what I know best.
    Any example lists? Did you still run STP despite the anti-synergy with CotV? What was the main problem with the lands?

I feel like Mox Opal would be a better choice. Replace Chrome Mox with those, add in more artifact lands? I just don't like the card disadvantage of Chrome Mox frankly.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Well, I got to thinking about this. It has been quite a while since I tried anything of the sort and there are a lot of cards printed since then. Considering the options, I really like the direction of your main better than my previous attempts to be honest. I would go to 3 Thalia perhaps. D+T hates getting flooded with them, but wants one in the opening 7 so much that the risk is well worth it. The only thing that looks like it is even dangling is the equipment suite. I think you have more than you need. Here is my first attempt.

4 Mother of Runes
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Glowrider
    3 Aven Mindcensor
    4 Lodestone Golem

4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Aether Vial

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

3 Mox Opal
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Ancient Den
    1 Karakas
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Horizon Canopy
    2 Plains

sb:
    3 Windborn Muse
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Oblivion Ring
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information