Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden Rule cards

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Golden Rule cards

Freaking Time Vault.

How many of you know when the decision to skip a turn with Time Vault? Or what happens when a player with time vault gets mindslaver'd?

Golden Rule applies to a ton of cards, really
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Illissius View Post
    I think there's rules about subgames and restarting games and all that too. :) But definitely unique! And that reminds me of:

Karn Liberated

which is in the same category.
    Karn Liberated actually has its own section in the Comp. Rules, so it does play by the rules.

Also surprised no one's mentioned Stasis.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Freaking Time Vault.

How many of you know when the decision to skip a turn with Time Vault? Or what happens when a player with time vault gets mindslaver'd?

Golden Rule applies to a ton of cards, really
    The player can select to untap Time Vault and skip his turn. The Slavering player still takes that player's NEXT turn.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Freaking Time Vault.
    Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by jamis View Post
    Karn Liberated actually has its own section in the Comp. Rules, so it does play by the rules.
    That's what I said. :)

Also surprised no one's mentioned Stasis.
    I'm not sure if "Players skip their untap steps." invokes the golden rule. I think "Permanents don't untap during their controllers' untap steps." would have better odds, but that's not how it's worded. But while I'm unsure about the technical classification, neither step/phase skipping nor things not untapping are very unique effects.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Example: "one land per turn"
    Exploration
    Explore
    Fastbond
    305. Lands

305.1. A player who has priority may play a land card from his or her hand during a main phase of his or her turn when the stack is empty. Playing a land is a special action; it doesn't use the stack (see rule 115). Rather, the player simply puts the land onto the battlefield. Since the land doesn't go on the stack, it is never a spell, and players can't respond to it with instants or activated abilities.

305.2. A player may normally play only one land during his or her turn; however, continuous effects may increase this number. If any such effects exist, the player announces which effect, or this rule, applies to each land play as it happens.
    -

Example: "sorceries during main phase"
    Teferi
    Vedalken Orrery
    Hypersonic Dragon
    304.5. If text states that a player may do something "any time he or she could cast an instant," it means only that the player must have priority. The player doesn't need to have an instant he or she could actually cast. Effects that would prevent that player from casting a spell or casting an instant don't affect the player's capability to perform that action (unless the action is actually casting a spell or casting an instant).
    -

Example: "you lose at 0 life"
    Platinum Angel
    Phyrexian Unlife
    Angel's Grace
    Winner. As far as I can find, there's no mention of these possibilities in the Rules.

To be fair, the other two examples might also be Golden Rule with the rest of the Rules just explaining the interaction rather than explicitly "allowing" it, but I'm really looking for instances where the Rules make no reference whatsoever to the possibility, and where there also aren't a zillion cards that do it. (Obviously I don't expect people to know the whole Comprehensive Rules inside and out, which is why I'm encouraging people to just post anything they can think of that has a particularly unique effect and isn't obviously covered by the rules mentioned previously, and then there's fairly good odds that many of those will also be Golden Rule.)

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Every card uses the Golden Rule, more or less. Otherwise the game would be a bunch of vanilla creatures.
    I don't think that's true. Spells that say, "Do X." ("Destroy target creature", "Draw a card", etc. etc.) don't break the rules. Activated abilities don't break the rules. Triggered abilities don't break the rules. Replacement effects don't break the rules. Damage and damage prevention don't break the rules. Anything that mucks with targetting or copying spells doesn't break the rules. Anything covered by the layer system (basically, anything that says "X is Y", "all X are Y", "X gains Y", "X has Y", "X gets Y" etc.) doesn't break the rules. Most things to do with combat don't break the rules. That wasn't an exhaustive list. You can build a lot of cards out of these. I should read the second half of the Rules some time to see what else is covered.

(Interestingly though, for an example of a very banal ability that isn't covered: vigilance. I read through the section on combat and it just says that creatures tap when they attack, full stop, with no allusion to the possibility that maybe sometimes they don't. But vigilance is a keyword ability and, like all keyword abilities, is defined in the section about keyword abilities, so it's covered by the Rules in that sense.)
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Shared Fate
    Shadow of Doubt (and its cousins)
    Blood Moon and other type changing effects (layers)
    Zeniths (first time a spell didnt go to g/y or exile upon resolution)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    What's there to explain? Your stuff costs three if under 3, and if over 3, other tax effects take place. Trinisphere applies last always, after tax effects. Boom. Done. Your opponents must have been real mouth-breathers.

-Matt
    This is every SCG sunday .... 50% standard players stumbling to victory in legacy. No clue about the eternal card pool. Its hard not to draw when your opponent has to call a judge 8-10 times for oracle text ... and still not know what the card does.

See: get text for cursed totem .... promptly use kotr.

Riftsweeper

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    This is every SCG sunday .... 50% standard players stumbling to victory in legacy. No clue about the eternal card pool. Its hard not to draw when your opponent has to call a judge 8-10 times for oracle text ... and still not know what the card does.

too much pimpness ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    Riftsweeper

too much pimpness ;)
    At one point I was 4-0-2 (?) at the Atlanta SCG Legacy last week. My draws were goblins and delver burn. I'm starting to think my pimp is costing me wins. I didn't get extensions either match, maybe I should have begged harder.

Oh well ... ride or die as they say.

I'd say Word of Command was the original golden rule card ............ followed by Ring o f Ma'Ruf

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Rulemonster:

Uniquestuff:
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Back when SCG ran P9 the tournament series (vintage with proxies) it was insane.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

No one has mentioned Relentless Rats

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Shared Fate
    There's a few cards which let you cast your opponents' spells... but I don't know if they allow you to play lands, which Shared Fate apparently does.

Shadow of Doubt (and its cousins)
    Good point.

Blood Moon and other type changing effects (layers)
    ...hence not golden rule.

Zeniths (first time a spell didnt go to g/y or exile upon resolution)
    Buyback and Beacons beg to differ with you, but yeah, this might be golden rule. Though I wonder. Maybe it's just that the normal order of things is that when resolving an instant or sorcery, the first thing is to follow the instructions on the card, and after that to put it into its owner's graveyard; but here the last instruction is "shuffle Zenith into its owner's library", which you do, and maybe after that the rule that would put the card into the graveyard just can't find it? So instead of the rules getting overridden, it's almost like they got punked.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    Rulemonster:
    [Humility][Chains of Mephistopheles]
    [Illusionary Mask]
    Humility is covered by layers. I think Chains is a simple replacement effect, though admittedly not a simple one. I'm not sure whether Mask invokes the Golden Rule, but it's definitely weird, so good find.

Uniquestuff:
    [Ring of Ma'Ruf][Chaos Orb]
    Ring of Ma'Ruf *used* to be unique, until they printed a bunch of other cards with similar effects, starting with the Wishes. Chaos Orb: indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    No one has mentioned Relentless Rats
    Winner.

So imagine tooling around winter of 1994 and opening this ... I used this thing to do all kinds of incorrect stuff.

R&D's Secret Lair seems to spring to mind. But it's unhinged, so...

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

So imagine tooling around winter of 1994 and opening this ... I used this thing to do all kinds of incorrect stuff.
    If you play a peek, is word of command uncounterable? Golden rule rules scenario.

Masako the Humorless

Survey says?

Jun 2011
    Russia, SPb

I'm not sure I understand the criteria correctly, but I hope I do
    So here are the cards that come to my mind:

Gemstone Caverns
    Serum Powder
    'leylines'
    Animate dead

Also what about
    cards that mess with non-existant cards? They don't brake the rules, but still there's something unnatural about them.
    Command tower (it's legal in eternal formats and generals - not)
    Steamflogger Boss

Also cards that mess with expansions
    city in a bottle
    Apocalypse Chime

cards that have weird erratas
    Lion's eye diamond

Reserved list might have some more interesting examples.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Survery says Masako was pissed when they printed Village Bell Ringer.

Survery says Masako was pissed when they printed Village Bell Ringer.
    She was pissed at something, beforehand, regardless of what it was. Her static ability is more impressive than Village Bell Ringer's one shot effect though. So much so, she prolly belongs in a certain Rhys token deck...

Thread Information