Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Purpose of Modern

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Purpose of Modern

Wasn't modern the format where we were supposed to have equal access to all the cards?

And the price barrier was supposed to be eliminated?

What happened to this purpose?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: Purpose of Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of Shadow View Post
    Wasn't modern the format where we were supposed to have equal access to all the cards?

Players happen. Everyone speculated, dried up the market and because theres a 'demand' with the same supply, the value goes up.

Best example in Legacy: Scroll Rack

Best example in Modern: Prismatic Omen
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Players happen. Everyone speculated, dried up the market and because theres a 'demand' with the same supply, the value goes up.

Best example in Legacy: Scroll Rack

Best example in Modern: Prismatic Omen
    Shouldn't they start reprinting these cards like they promised?

No wonder this is a dying format.

Aug 2011
    Italy

Have patience young padawan, they're going to reprint stuff. At the last comiccon panel about RtR I think they made it clear enough that they don't see a future for Legacy long term and will wait 'till it dies due to the price inflation. Meanwhile they are going to support Modern to the best of their abilities. They are just trying to figure out how to approach this as I see it.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

No? The business model of all trading card games is to sell cards at varying degrees of quality with the good ones being harder to find (or, "rare") and the bad ones being easy to find (or, "common"). This makes the price of the rare ones to go up compared to the less rare ones. Price is a barrier people need to go through to play any format of any card game.

Have you seen the price it costs to play standard??? How is price barrier going to magically go away just because it's a less old format than legacy?

It never existed in the first place.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by bilb_o View Post
    Have patience young padawan, they're going to reprint stuff. At the last comiccon panel about RtR I think they made it clear enough that they don't see a future for Legacy long term and will wait 'till it dies due to the price inflation. Meanwhile they are going to support Modern to the best of their abilities. They are just trying to figure out how to approach this as I see it.

Tell that to star city games who puts on legacy tournaments every weekend.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Tell that to star city games who puts on legacy tournaments every weekend.
    Haters gunna hate.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    Haters gunna hate.
    Why are modern fans so jealous of legacy and hope for it's demise? I can't afford vintage atm but I don't constantly put the format down or wish for it to be dead.

Aug 2011
    Italy

If Vintage is the milf who is way out of your league you're still doing pretty well with Legacy which is kind of like the hot sophomore chick full of surprises. Modern is really the fat friend of that hot chick.

Having said that even though I still think Wizards really created Modern with the hopes of making it THE eternal format in which they have control over the secondary market and getting their share of revenue from eternal players, I don't see how Legacy would die out with the current supply of cards. Even if its growth would be capped at its current point it would still take years for the format to really die out and get overwhelmed by the number of Modern players.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by rxavage View Post
    Why are modern fans so jealous of legacy and hope for it's demise? I can't afford vintage atm but I don't constantly put the format down or wish for it to be dead.
    You got that from "Haters gunna hate"? Why does everything have to be Us vs. Them mentality?

I enjoy both formats. Do I have to pick which of the two I want to see die? How is this a logical statement at all?

I swear, the easiest way to tell which people on this forum aren't ever worth listening to is to look at which people go into threads with the intent to post shit like "why would I play this, it's terrible..." or "LEGACY RULEZZ MODERN DRULESZZ" Thank you for making yourselves so easily identifiable.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    You got that from "Haters gunna hate"? Why does everything have to be Us vs. Them mentality?

I enjoy both formats. Do I have to pick which of the two I want to see die? How is this a logical statement at all?

I swear, the easiest way to tell which people on this forum aren't ever worth listening to is to look at which people go into threads with the intent to post shit like "why would I play this, it's terrible..." or "LEGACY RULEZZ MODERN DRULESZZ" Thank you for making yourselves so easily identifiable.
    Hypocrite much? I didn't think it was that hard to see that my response was an addendum to the "haterz gonna hate" comment. I used vintage as my example instead of modern because it seemed too repetitive. Anyways, thank you for not really saying anything I didn't and exposing yourself.

I play all formats btw. And who said anything about picking a format to die? Did you even read what I wrote?

Also, my previous post was a general observation of attitude on other forums. I may have misunderstood the tone and direction of the discussion which lead to a hasty and irrelevant comment but you definitely took it out of context.

The real purpose of Modern is wizards trying to get rid of Ichorid. =(

Prices will always be a supply and demand game, even if wizards keeps reprinting certain cards. You'd honestly be better off playing 75 proxy Vintage/Legacy and having a far healthier format than playing modern just because you think the prices might stay down. Of course this is highly unlikely because then wizards and store owners couldn't make money.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Outside of Duals and Fringe archetypes (such as Lands and Candelabra-powdered decks), I don't think Legacy will die. Why? WotC will always make mistakes that will translate into a new broken decks in Legacy.

When I first started playing Legacy, AnT didn't exist, Merfolk was just a casual deck, green was the weakest color, Tarmogoyf was $2, Standstill was the control card, Goblin Lackey needs to be banned and people laughed at you when your 75 had Show and Tell.

For all we know, Rats.dec might be the next tribal deck, Food Chain.dec is a DtB in the making or Trade Route gets banned in the near future.

Nothing against Modern but one of the reason that makes Legacy Legacy is because of the intricate interaction between the old and the new. Fine example would be Rest in Peace and Helm of Obedience. Those cards are 16 years apart.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Have you seen the price it costs to play standard???
    To play a competitive deck? Less than buying one set of one dual land.

Mental Misstep your....oh wait
    Dec 2010
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    To play a competitive deck? Less than buying one set of one dual land.

Obviously legacy is significantly more expensive then modern or standard, I believe his comment was meant to be a comparison of modern and standard prices. People complain that modern still costs too much yet willingly shill out for standard decks (most of which contain modern staples) at the same prices if not higher.
    "Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Aug 2011
    Italy

I did a rough calculation today. I initially had FoWs and Wastelands when I started shelling out for Legacy and it took around $2000 to complete a set of U. Seas, a set of Tundras, 3 Volcanics, 3 Trops, 3 Jaces, a set of Goyfs, and a set of all blue fetches. So it means with around $2k you can basically get the foundation for all the most expensive decks. This foundation will enable you to play multiple top-tier decks over multiple years. As far as I understand Standard decks cost around $300-$500 at most. If Modern is going to be a financially viable alternative as an eternal format I think you should be able to complete a similar foundation for about $1k. I don't know if it's currently possible, but can someone chime in?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

If Modern is going to be a financially viable alternative as an eternal format I think you should be able to complete a similar foundation for about $1k. I don't know if it's currently possible, but can someone chime in?
    http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1044341

Average of $923 for Yasooka's Player's Championship winning deck. And you can definitely find these cards cheaper than tcgplayer's prices if you go to ebay.

Aug 2011
    Italy

Cool, so I think Modern is serving its purpose then. What's the big deal?

Look, Magic is a hobby. A game. You spend how much money on a PC/PS3/Xbox + games a year? Think about how long that investment will take you in MtG in an eternal format. Plus the collector's satisfaction and the trips and the personalization etc. etc. I don't think spending around $2k for an eternal format initially and then just updating it for around $50-$100 in 3-12 months is too much. Only thing I know is that I don't play Fallout 2 anymore but I still play MtG and those duals are x10 what they cost back then. I know I spent around $2k back then to build my computer and it's weaker than my mobile phone today. If you are getting into Modern just for the finances buy duals instead, Legacy won't die. If you like Modern, let its purpose be fun for you.

Cool, so I think Modern is serving its purpose then. What's the big deal?
    Tarmogoyf still costs about as much as a dual land. If they want Modern to be Legacy without the accessibility issues, that card desperately needs a reprint. And yes, Tarmogoyf is nowhere near as essential to playing in the format as a dual land is, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Though it does look like they're finally starting on the reason it was created, a format in which they could reprint cards that have accessibility issues, as shown by the shockland reprints (which actually may slightly help out Legacy as it means they function better as budget alternatives to the duals). But until Tarmogoyf's price is at least cut in half, Modern really isn't fulfilling its purpose.

It is true that Modern is cheaper than Legacy. But I think an issue is that it isn't cheaper enough to justify really getting into it.

Aug 2011
    Italy

Patience young padawan (another one). They'll reprint it. You see, a year when you're 23 isn't the same as a year when you're 30. You'll be playing Magic when you're 30, secret from your wife or fiance I promise. Don't worry and just get the cards as cheap as possible. Cheers!

Thread Information