Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Waterfalls (RUG Cascade!)

Hybrid View

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Waterfalls (RUG Cascade!)

You've guessed it, this thread is for the development of a Legacy cascade deck. The best cascade enablers are Red-Green and Blue-Green creatures, so let's start there.

A little insight on Cascade,

The cascade ability is an intringuing one as it has the ability to create card advantage and board presence. Since cascade triggers on cast, it directly puts two spells on the stack, therefore it is very difficult to fully counter. Furthermore, cascade allows cascaded spells to be cast without paying their mana cost, this is often a great way to cheat creatures or spells into play that you have no business casting with ease such as Suspend cards and Split cards. Suspend cards can be cast immediatly without suspension. Cascading into a Split card offers you the choice to play whichever end of the card you wish to, so long as only one of them has a lower mana cost than the cascader.

Waterfalls is a RUGb midrange Aggro-Control deck that utilizes the cascade mechanic to generate card advantage. It's just like Shardless BUG but with more spice.

Waterfalls
    Updated list:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Shardless Agent
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Bloodbraid Elf

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Abrupt Decay

3 Thoughtseize
    3 Ancestral Visions

1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

3 Wasteland
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Taiga
    1 Badlands
    1 Island
    1 Forest
    //SB
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    3 Meddling Mage
    3 Duress
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Rakdos Charm
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Tundra

Older list (from 2012-2014)

Creatures (15)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Shardless Agent
    3 Bloodbraid Elf

Spells (22)
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Izzet Charm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will

4 Ancestral Vision
    1 Toxic Deluge

Lands (23)
    3 Wasteland
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Taiga
    1 Island
    1 Forest

Sideboard (15)
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Swan Song
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Null Rod

Sideboard Plans

Storm Combo
    In: 4 Thoughtseize, 2 Swan Song, 2 Flusterstorm, 1 Cage, 1 Null Rod, 1 Ooze
    Out: 3 Bloodbraid, 3 Decay, 1 Toxic Deluge, 4 Visions

Reanimator
    In: 4 Thoughtseize, 2 Swan Song, 2 Flusterstorm, 1 Ooze, 1 Cage
    Out: 3 Bloodbraid, 3 Decay, 4 Bolt

Dredge
    In: 2 Swan Song, 2 Flusterstorm, 1 Ooze, 1 Cage
    Out: 3 Bloodbraid, 3 Decay

Sneak Show/OmniShow
    In: 4 Thoughtseize, 2 Swan Song, 2 Flusterstorm, 1 Golgari Charm, 1 Pithing Needle
    Out: 3 Bloodbraid, 3 Decay, 4 Bolt

Miracle Control
    In: 2 Swan Song, 1 Null Rod, 1 Pithing Needle
    Out: 3 Wasteland, 1 Toxic Deluge

Burn, UR Delver
    In: 2 Flusterstorm, 1 Ooze
    Out: 2 Visions, 1 Toxic Deluge

Canadian Threshold, Team America
    In: 1 Ooze
    Out: 1 FoW

Jund
    In: 1 Ooze, 1 Needle
    Out: 2 FoW

DnT, Maverick
    In: 1 Golgari Charm, 1 Ancient Grudge, 1 Null Rod/Ooze, 1 Engineered Plague
    Out: 4 FoW

Patriot, Deathblade
    In: 1 Golgari Charm, 1 Ancient Grudge, 1 Null Rod, 1 Ooze

Elves
    In: 1 Golgari Charm, 1 Engineered Plague, 1 Cage
    Out: 3 Wasteland

Merfolk
    In: 1 Ancient Grudge, 1 Engineered Plague, 1 Null Rod, 1 Ooze

Goblins
    In: 1 Golgari Charm, 1 Engineered Plague, 1 Pithing Needle, 1 Ooze

Nic Fit
    In: 1 Golgari charm, 1 Ooze, 1 Cage, 1 Needle
    Out: 3 Decay, 1 Toxic Deluge

-EDIT 16/10/12: Added a white splash for SB options
    -EDIT 24/10/12: Changed the white splash for black
    -EDIT 14/11/12: Updated SB
    -EDIT 11/03/14: Added Nemesis and SB plans
    -EDIT 14/03/14: Updated SB and added Wastelands
    -EDIT 23/10/14: Updated Mainboard, SB, and added colored text :)
    -EDIT 25/10/16: Added a current list to the primer and left the older stuff. Yay for Leovold!
    Last edited by Qweerios; 10-25-2016 at 02:50 PM.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Re: Waterfalls (RUG Cascade!)

Right off the bat, this deck looks really cool. The idea seems awesome. How well has it worked that you only have 8 "real" creatures? Also have you considered running V. Clique? That card is sweet.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

I like the idea as well.

The spells you can cascade into are really sweet and have always some value: Bolt to the face - ice to draw a card. Noble hiearch seems the weakest. But I agree Vendilion Clique looks much stronger than the Angel. It's good against Miracles/Combo and in general my favourite T2 play after a hierarch.

Terminus is still ab problem, but Ancestral Vision is a ton of card advantage and the beaters + reach is very potent.

Sidebaord I would split 2 Submerge, 2 Mind-Harness. you have tons of mana to support the harness. Sulfuric Vortexx also works for RUG - should even be better in this deck.
    Currently playing: Elves

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I have no issues having enough threats. Cascade makes sure I don't run out. The more I play the deck, though, the more I think Ponder would be better than Recall. It would definitely make the deck more consistent. As it is now, it has great explosive potential as well as fizzle potential.

I really like Illusory Angel as a card for this deck. It is definitely better post-board when I side in Crypts or Submerge (T1 Noble, T2 Submerge + Angel). I tried Gitaxian Probe with her but I didn't like it that much, I think Ponder would make her a bit more stable. She is probably sending me in the wrong direction, but it's very hard to resist her. A pair of Cliques and a pair of Oozes is probably better...

I also think a couple of mainboard Jittes couldn't hurt either.

Ahhh, so many good cards, so few deck space...
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Feb 2011

1 Jitte MD, 1 SB was also my idea.
    if I play cascase I would certainly not cut the recall. :)

I would play 1-2 ponder and cut maybe 1 creature and 1 Fire-Ice
    Also 1 Sylvan Library would be very powerful.

My thoughts:

20 land, 4 Wasteland, no basics (to support vendilion clique). Anyway if they waste it hurts us less, because we have hierarch, ancestral ticking down or recover potential with a powerful cascade. I think playing through wasteland and not around it is better. Another option would be to cut the wasteland but it seems very powerful.

creatures:
    4 Shardless
    3 Bloodbraid (4 mana is expensive so went down to 3)
    3 Goyf (do you need 4 with all the other power - i cut 1 for the jitte)
    3 Vendilion Clique (angel is nice and stuff, but this improves combo & control so bad)
    4 Hierarch

4 Bolt
    3 Fire
    1 Jitte

4 Brainstorm
    1 Ponder
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Ancestral Visions

4 Force of Will

Edit:
    A question concerning the SB. Against blue non-combo decks you usually you want to bring in the 4 red-blasts? Makes cascade so much worse. How about replacing it with spell pierce for the combo matchup where you surely side out some cascade stuff and the idea to fight blue decks with stuff worth cascading into.

May 2011
    Somewhere around earth.

Looks interesting.
    Have to agree with clique over the angel, it's a flying threat you can cascade into, and a bit of extra disruption, and a good deal of information (or just a free cycle of sorts if you need it to be).

Brainstorm + Cascade seems pretty powerful, too, setting up a cascade or potentially chain of cascades if you have a really good hand, going Bloodbraid into Agent into 'goyf to allow you to just explode onto the battlefield for 5 mana and one card. Or just to make sure when you play your cascade spell, you are more likely to hit the removal spell you need or the ancestral for some extra card advantage.

One problem I've seen with cascade decks that I don't think this has, is cascading into dead cards. It seems like everything you could hit has at least some value, even if it's not the best card to cascade into, you still get a bit of direct damage, a body, a mana dork, or some extra cards. Worst case seems to be hitting a brainstorm, but even then you gain a card and get to fix your hand a bit.

Getting to 3-4 mana quickly so you can start exploiting cascade isn't too bad, I think the format is slow enough, especially with force and a lot of removal to help slow down the faster decks if you need to.

I'm not sure how well the deck mulligans, but it doesn't look like it does particularly well, since cascade is often going to be a bit of a gamble.

Ancestral has an odd problem here, too. If you cascade into it, it's great, three extra cards at no cost to you, but if you have to suspend it, then you probably won't really be rewarded by it, since this isn't looking like a "late game" type of deck.

Wraths seem problematical, cascading into a bunch of nice threats is great, but it's hard to hold back or keep from overextending with cascade, since you won't always know how many creatures you're about to put into play when you cast bloodbraid elf.

It's also a bit vulnerable to stifle, since both the fetches, and cascade itself, can be stifled.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Ancestral has an odd problem here, too. If you cascade into it, it's great, three extra cards at no cost to you, but if you have to suspend it, then you probably won't really be rewarded by it, since this isn't looking like a "late game" type of deck.

Turn 1 Suspend has its merits against a lot of decks. Any control deck as well as any dork deck like DnT or Maverick will be kept at bay by the Bolts and Fires long enough for the Recalls to kick in full gear. At least, this is what the testing has proved.

Wraths seem problematical, cascading into a bunch of nice threats is great, but it's hard to hold back or keep from overextending with cascade, since you won't always know how many creatures you're about to put into play when you cast bloodbraid elf.

The beauty of cascade is that it might look like you're overextending, but you're not. Whatever hits the board after a Shardless or a BBE is still extra.

It's also a bit vulnerable to stifle, since both the fetches, and cascade itself, can be stifled.

They can Stifle my trigger all they want, I will still be left with something and they won't.
    @Catmint,

-Sylvan Library is an interesting card. I agree with you that Library and Jitte deserve MD space as 1-ofs, they have inherent synergy with cascade creatures and definitely don't want multiples.

-I don't know about losing the basics. The deck is very midgame oriented if you don't land a T1 Noble. I haven't been crippled by my manabase so far. I usualy fetch all basics against RUG and I wouldn't do without. Also, I originaly played the deck without Wasteland, and with 2 basics. Adding the Wastes was a massive boon. As far as going all duals goes, I really wouldn't want to be cut from my red source.

-Goyf is too important to cut down. He is the best blocker post-cascade and the biggest creature in the deck. A prime cascade target and T2 play.

-A 3/3 split of Clique and BBE is reasonable. I am just a bit wary of the Legend rule.

-Fire // Ice is the strongest cascade after Recall. Taping a permanent + a cantrip off of a 3/2 haste creature is incredible value and aggressivity. I don't think I would need Ponder anymore without Illusory Angel.

EDIT: I tried 3 Spell Pierce in the SB and they weren't so handy. FoW is the only counterspell I can count on. I chose REBs over pierce because they are counterspells when drawn, and potential removal when cascaded into (worst case scenario). I have 4 in the board so far but I haven't tried them out yet to be honest. Perhaps Izzet Charm?
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Feb 2011

True... the lengend rule sucks when cascading into, but it is a very strong "normal" play. I guess it is worth the risk since if you have a clique in play there are only 2 left in the deck and it only cascades from BBE. Multiple cliques if not cascading into is not a problem: if your clique survives it can kill (no 2nd clique needed) or trade. Clique is just the best card against combo & it puts miracles & batterskulls/Jittes on the bottom.

Duals vs. Basics: No idea - maybe you are right. Cliques are the only UU and I guess the rest of the deck plays out without needing a lot of "same color" spells in the same turn.

Red blast as removal vs RUG is ok. altough still narrow and against UW(x) variants cascading into redblast is very bad whereas cascading into creatures/draw is nuts. Feel like you are giving away cascade advantage vs. UWx if you board red-blasts. My thought was the combo matchup: -4 Shardless +4 Spell pierce. You then have 8 counterspells, 3 Vendilion Clique and a fast clock. Bloodbraid and Visions are still kind of bad - but T1 Visions can be relevant and you only tap out for BBE if you win that turn or they can't win next turn I guess. However if you have neither Red-blast or Spell Pierce versus Counter-top Miracles I would sideboard 2 Krosan Grip and not 2 Ancient Grudge.

Concerning T2 play: I used to looooove NO Rug with T1 7 acceleration slots & 3-4 Clique for Turn 2. Unfortunately GSZ or more manadorks cannot be supported.
    Now in this deck there are 8 T1 plays: Suspend Visions or Manadork and for Turn 2 (if only 2 mana available) 3 Goyf, 1 Jitte or 1 Sylvan Library. Question is if you have enough Turn 2 Power with 2 mana" if you run 3 Goyfs. The thing is that if you have 3 mana Turn 2 I guess you prefer to shardless or Vendilion Clique and Goyf would be stuck in your hand. Also for 50% of my turn 1 plays I am not in a "super hurry" to play out my threats because there is a vision to come so I can bolt/fire something or ice-cantrip down their land which has a lot of value with a vision in play. It still might be right to run 3 Goyfs but not for the worry of not having enough big creatures. The deck has a lot of firepower. Maverick has bigger creatures anyway, but Mind Harness/ Submerge + overwhelming have to beat Ooze & Night.

I feel as though this deck requires Jace to set up some of the more powerful Cascades.

Previously this deck also had Ponder to set up Cascade.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by catmint
    Congrats to your finish Qweerios!

I cannot know if you make your decisions based on theorycrafting and a lot of testing (no attack – I really don’t know). You do not really share a lot of reasoning/results and the reasoning that you did share was not 100% conclusive for me. As you can see in my post I outlined a lot of thoughts and brought some specific matchup/situational analysis concluding that Jace is a good choice. Maybe you can explain the flaws in my logic or where you came to different conclusions more specifically. I understand that you don’t need to do that so often because you have personal fans like Kich, who take everything you say for granted.

@Kich: Jace was not just “thrown in”. This deck was developed and tested by a number of people. Things are always moving and changing especially with a new archetype. If we would just believe what someone says who is “generally right when it comes to deck design”, we might still be playing with Illusory Angel (see Qweerios first version of the deck). Not saying that Qweerios is not a good deck designer, but I am sure he also appreciates the development process that the community contributed.

I don’t understand what you mean? What Jace does to help with those threats that Waterfalls has a Problem with? Don’t get it – how does not running Jace help with those creatures? First: They are less of a problem due to our manadorks. Hierarch exhalts making our own Goyfs bigger than theirs and Deathrite clears opponents lands to keep Knight smaller. Either way if you bounce once with Jace making one free attack. Then they play their creature again but ou can then either bounce again and kill them or brainstorm into removal (maybe 2 for 1 yourself with an attack + burn spell) or more threats for a swarm. You can surely find a way to win the game against decks running goyf, Kotr,.. if your Jace lives for a couple of turns (Hint Jace is also king setting up cascades).

Also why do you think Qweerios is right in cutting Jace? Are you also a personal fan like Kich or do you have any thoughts, conclusions that contribute to the debate?

Closing statement:
    You guys don’t need to convince me and I also don’t need the confirmation that I am right or anything. Let’s keep an open mind and test different approaches so the archetype can grow. Jace or no Jace is by far a less significant decision than hierarch vs. deathrite, 4th color , wasteland or no wasteland,…
    What I mean is that Jace is good on an empty board: genius even. But in the weakest colors for removal (I.e. no swords or decay) we can't always have answers to fatties swarms other walkers like Elspeth or Sorin or even CounterTop strategies (reveal Jace to counter Jace), especially since we can't be as counter heavy as Delver decks due to cascade fizzle.

Edit: Now that I think bout it a fourth color could enable the use of Jace.

Edit2: Really Kindle spellchecker? It's "color" not ****ing "Colorado"!
    Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner; 11-07-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    What I mean is that Jace is good on an empty board: genius even. But in the weakest colors for removal (I.e. no swords or decay) we can't always have answers to fatties swarms other walkers like Elspeth or Sorin or even CounterTop strategies (reveal Jace to counter Jace), especially since we can't be as counter heavy as Delver decks due to cascade fizzle.

Edit: Now that I think bout it a fourth color could enable the use of Jace.

Edit2: Really Kindle spellchecker? It's "color" not ****ing "Colorado"!
    It's probably terrible, but you could just go nuts and go for 4 City of Brass, 4 Birds of Paradise and get the best of all worlds. Add in Stoneforge/Jitte/Batterskull & some Cabal Therapies and whatever else you can get from splashing every color and see what happens.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

This may sound crazy but now that I play with deathrite, 20 colored lands and a couple decays, my manabase has been more stable than when I splashed white for SB options only and played Hierarch. Deathrite brings so much disruption, reach, and can actually add red mana! When you pack 4 deathrites, 2 oozes, and 2 or 3 decays, goyfs and knights are a joke.

Also, I will explain my reasoning behind the rejection of a second jace when I get home.
    Last edited by Qweerios; 11-08-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Feb 2011

So I tried out a build with black and I have to agree with Qweerios that it is overall a much better build. I have to be careful about my excitement because my usual quick testing is just ~15 random matches on mws and there are soo many bad players and/or games are not taken seriously on the other side.

However how it played out was very nice. I played with shaman already a lot in BUG and learned to appreciate him. Didn't miss Exhalted as much as expected and 2 to the face make also for some damage.

Concrning the mabase I went a much more conservative route. If a deck can play so many powerfuls spells one should make sure you should be able to cast them. Shaman making red is awsome, but you still need to make the land drops to win consistantly I feel.

So my changes:

1) Cutting basics: Sure there are the obvious downsides against dedicated non-basic hate/recusions but there will be way to many awkward situations with black duals in G1 and especially post board where you want to bring play 4 abrupt decay against the best stifle/wasteland deck in the format. You might argue cutting basics weakens the manbase but I don't think that's completely true. If you go for basics you might not be able to play optimally in the process of doing so (screwing yourself) and then your first dual will be wasted for sure hurting you just as much as an early waste. Sure there will be also the situations where you just want this 2 lands in play, but in this deck I think the factor not beeing able to have all the colors early hurts much more. i.e: having 3 basics casting a goyf leaving either red or blue for brainstorm or bolt open instead of leaving a volcanic open. It reminds me of NO RUG where people also tried basics but it just played out much better with duals.

2) cutting basics you need to play "through" wastelands instead of "around them". Obviously just my personal stupid wording , but what I mean with that is upping the land count - making sure you don't miss land drops. I did this a lot with the non-basic BUG control running Hmyn to tourach back in the days.

3) cutting wastelands Not having wastelands you miss out on the opportunity to randomly win with a screw, but often when I won like this I could also just have made my landdrops and cast unfair stuff. So I agree with TKdodo that in a midrange/ramp deck like this you don't necessarily need/want to waste the opponent. The situations where killing the opponents maze of it, academy ruins, Karakas or whatever will surely come, but the deck is equiped to win despite the utilitiy these lands provide to the opponent.

So I started testing with 23 colorful lands (duals & fetches) & 4 deathrite shaman. I still expect to get screwed against RUG sometimes, but in general I feel this is a configuration you make sure to play your 3 & 4 drops when they still matter. Also going late with shaman and drawing a lot of cards there is always something to do with the lands I feel.

3) Not having wasteland, I increased the fetchland count to make deathrite really work.

Current configuration
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Taiga
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Bayou
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Polluted Delta

Maybe I went over the top with this and it can be 22 lands with 2 Ponder, but I am pretty convinced making sure you cast all this super sweet spells should be priority #1.

Other experiences about black:

My biggest concerns with Waterfalls were:
    - Loosings to RUG Daze & Spell Pierce casting removal on their threats / dealing with Goyf: (adressed by Decay)
    - Loosing to combo (adressed by discard)
    - Loosing to counterbalance (adressed by decay and discard)

So the SB I tested
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Envelop (over discard spot 7-8; Still nuts vs. combo but also supergood against miracles)
    4 Abrupt decay (can see runnin 1-2 maindeck like qweerios)
    3 Surgical Extraion

I also cut down to 2 Vendilion Clique maindeck. It was indeed awkward at times having multiples but especially clunky with all the other 8 3-4 cmc cards. With black combo is also much less of a concern.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Guys if you are splashing black for 3 Decays md (which is worth it imho) why don't you play Tourach as well? I'm not running Inquisition of Kozilek or Thoughtseize because obviously they are bad cascade flips, but flipping a Hymn anytime from turn 2 to 4 seems gamebreaking.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    Have you tried countertop in the SB? I've just jammed Red Blasts and Mindbreak Traps and hope for the best most of the time against combo.
    Counterbalance has been very solid against combo and control: even against midrange has been good to the point that I'm contemplating moving it to the main deck.

I know that it seems strange with all the abrupt decay decks flying around, but they use it on the CB then they don't kill a goyf, which is fine.
    If they don't, however, CB can lock them out off the game.

How can I say: I always loved aggro CB :-)
    Ignorance is strength

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I've found using it to be quite fun too. You really do want to jam Cascade guys quickly to gain an advantage and CounterTop is a great way to disrupt considering the spectrum of casting costs in the deck.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

I had this together for a while and loved playing it. Ended up changing it to Shardless Bug for a bit, but just through something together last night as cascading is too much fun. The maindeck is a bit of an experiment, if anyone has any ideas, throw them at me. The spirit guides look weird, but they've been working like a charm. It's the sideboard I need help with. I always lose to a goblins player at my LGS, I'll be playing a small tourney tomorrow, what cards should I play? Pyroclasm? Or I guess whipflare is better...help is appreciated.

Maindeck:

4x Shardless Agent
    4x Bloodbraid Elf
    4x Tarmogoyf
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    2x Vendilion Clique
    4x Deathrite Shaman (maybe should be BoP instead?)

4x Brainstorm
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Force of Will
    4x Ancestral Vision

4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Misty Rainforest
    2x Wooded Foothills
    4x Wasteland
    3x Volcanic Island
    3x Tropical Island
    1x Taiga
    1x Underground Sea

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    I had this together for a while and loved playing it. Ended up changing it to Shardless Bug for a bit, but just through something together last night as cascading is too much fun. The maindeck is a bit of an experiment, if anyone has any ideas, throw them at me. The spirit guides look weird, but they've been working like a charm. It's the sideboard I need help with. I always lose to a goblins player at my LGS, I'll be playing a small tourney tomorrow, what cards should I play? Pyroclasm? Or I guess whipflare is better...help is appreciated.

Maindeck:

4x Shardless Agent
    4x Bloodbraid Elf
    4x Tarmogoyf
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    2x Vendilion Clique
    4x Deathrite Shaman (maybe should be BoP instead?)

4x Brainstorm
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Force of Will
    4x Ancestral Vision

4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Misty Rainforest
    2x Wooded Foothills
    4x Wasteland
    3x Volcanic Island
    3x Tropical Island
    1x Taiga
    1x Underground Sea
    Since I play 4 lightning bolt, 2 fire // ice and 2 grim lavamancer main deck I've got less problems with aggro decks and I need less cards in side.

In your case I'd play a combination of engineered plague and pyroclasm: the former especially seems sweet in your deck since you have 8 ways (4 shaman and 4 guides) to cast it on turn 2, I'd play 3.

Regarding the guides: I think that in your deck elvish spirit guides are better than simians because they help you cast more cards when you are manascrewed (goyf, DRS, agent, BBE) while the latter helps only in casting bolts and BBE. However I can see an argument if you play REB in side, though in this case maybe I'd try a 2/2 split.

DRS is a better card than BoP and the main reason to splash Black, so I would keep them in.
    Ignorance is strength

Here's my list.

1 Bayou
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Taiga
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Wasteland
    4 Wooded Foothills

4 Ancestral Vision

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Punishing Fire

1 Sylvan Library

1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Tarmogoyf
    4 Shardless Agent
    2 Vendilion Clique
    4 Bloodbraid Elf

Sideboard:
    1 Duress
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Swan Song
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Engineered Plague

I've taken it to 3 tournaments and the results have been okay vs fair decks, but I'm struggling vs combo. I've recently moved 2 Vendilion Clique from SB to main and updated my sideboard to address reanimator, omnitell and sneak attack, hope it works out. Used to have Engineered Explosives in the SB, but the dissynergy with cascade made me remove them in favor of anticombo.

Feedback appreciated.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

I don't see the point in playing red if you're not playing bloodbraid

Sent from my mobile, forgive me for grammar errors.
    Ignorance is strength

Thread Information