Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Waterfalls (RUG Cascade!)

Re: Waterfalls (RUG Cascade!)

The fact that the deck can recover from 8 forces isn't reason to play them. To be fair, I'm not sure what your local meta is like, whether you play online or in paper.

In a room full of mono belcher, yes play 8 forces. In a room full of 4C pile and delver, force of will will put you too much behind in the early game that your opponents resources will come online before you can really stabilize.

Often (not always), will you find yourself boarding out force of will in midrange match ups, and if that is what you can expect to face, g1 with 8 force of wills will probably put you on the play game 2. But to be fair, it will depend heavily on what type of decks you expect to play against.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra_D View Post
    The fact that the deck can recover from 8 forces isn't reason to play them. To be fair, I'm not sure what your local meta is like, whether you play online or in paper.

In a room full of mono belcher, yes play 8 forces. In a room full of 4C pile and delver, force of will will put you too much behind in the early game that your opponents resources will come online before you can really stabilize.

Often (not always), will you find yourself boarding out force of will in midrange match ups, and if that is what you can expect to face, g1 with 8 force of wills will probably put you on the play game 2. But to be fair, it will depend heavily on what type of decks you expect to play against.
    You'd be foolish to jam 8 forces in the deck on game 1. but if game 2 hits and you play against combo, I see nothing wrong with going up in the count. I wouldn't play 8...but i will do 6 plus pierces, flusters and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra_D View Post
    I know how attractive of a mechanic cascade is but it feels like a trap.

Playing it means we lose on quality blue interaction, spell pierce, daze, stifle.

Up to 8 forces is nice but it you don't want to 2 for 1 yourself at every decision point.

If miracles is a hard match up try more walkers. Narset or pfire/dack are hard to answer.

You could also try the cephalis coliseum lock with Narset and W6. Those 3 are lights out for most decks if you can make it to the late game stage of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    You'd be foolish to jam 8 forces in the deck on game 1. but if game 2 hits and you play against combo, I see nothing wrong with going up in the count. I wouldn't play 8...but i will do 6 plus pierces, flusters and such.
    Spell pierce sounds pretty good, smart and insightful conclusion.

~Edit~
    To clarify, my original statement was meant to be read as such:
    "Currently a cursory search will show blue decks playing between 4 and 8 pieces of counter magic. Combo decks going to 4 or less, Tempo decks playing the full 8 pieces and with midrange and control playing 5/6. Although this deck can play 8 forces, simpler solutions to counter magic such as spell pierce, daze, and flusterstorm (with my preference in that order) become playable if cascade is not a mechanic played in the deck. "

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Here’s a rough draft. The cards that we definitely want to be utilizing are Wrenn and Six and Dreadhorde Arcanist.

20 Lands
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ancestral Vision
    4 FoW
    2 Force of Negation
    4 Shardless Agent
    4 Dreadhorde Arcanist
    3 Wrenn and Six
    1 As Foretold
    3 Tarmogoyf
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Crashing Footfalls
    2 Jace, TMS
    2 Faithless Looting (to get stuff in the bin for Dreadhorde; combos to some extent with Wrenn via extra lands)

Initial SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void (given the new mulligan rules, you’re very likely to find one and be able to protect it with Force of W/N)
    2 Force of Negation
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    X Chill (or just a bunch of Hydroblasts)

Tarmogoyf is likely the least interesting card, but he serves a purpose in being a threat and a wall to buy some time as needed.

Some other cards to consider:
    -Icefang Coatl: provides a possible defense against creatures while you assemble your combo
    -Bloodbraid Elf: more options of cascading into your bombs
    -Ramp: DRS will be greatly missed, but alas there aren’t really any alternatives that fit the bill. The closest option is maybe Noble Hierarch, but this deck can mostly work off of 2-3 mana.

The point with this deck is to play a control deck that can go over the top via its busted Cascade spells. Sometimes even just suspending a Vision on turn 1 will be enough to push you ahead in the mid game.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Thinking more about the deck, I’m thinking that a template we could draw from is the Shardless BUG lists played back in the Deathrite Shaman era. Obviously we don’t have DRS anymore, but Wrenn and Six fills a somewhat similar role. I think Red is probably just going to be a small splash, with BUG being the main colors.

Here’s a historical list:
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=9439&d=254114&f=LE

Abrupt Decay helps out a lot vs the Red Moon decks seeing play, and we could also adjust the list to be favored against the current top tier lists. In particular, Baleful Strix seems pretty good against Marit Lage and fairly good against Delver and Goyfs. There’s plenty of other new cards that could bring this deck back into competition. I just think this would be a more competitive direction to take the deck, rather than being in danger of cool things by emphasizing the suspend spells too much.

Sep 2011

So 1 Mystic Sanctuary might be good here for MOAR RHINOS.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Necro for this card:

"See the Truth" 1U
    Sorcery (Rare)
    Look at the top three cards of your library. Choose one to put in your hand and others under your library in any order. If you cast this spell from anywhere else than your hand, put all cards in your hand.

Acts like ancestral visions off cascade and can be FBed with Snapcaster/Dreadhorde Arcanist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Nice catch! Agent and Bloodbraid into this will be nuts. Would it be Visions 5+, some sort of mix, or would you drop Visions entirely?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Nice catch! Agent and Bloodbraid into this will be nuts. Would it be Visions 5+, some sort of mix, or would you drop Visions entirely?
    I mean the heretic in me would want to play Yorion Waterfall and then just include all 8
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I mean the heretic in me would want to play Yorion Waterfall and then just include all 8
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sep 2011

Isn't this worse than Visions in most situations?
    - Agent and Bloodbraid into this is no better than Visions. Both draw 3.
    - Can't be cast with Arcanist without other enablers (2 cmc)
    - From your hand it's just a sorcery-speed Anticipate, no Suspend mode
    - Snapcaster does FB but doesn't fit in cascade (no FB with Visions or Footfalls), so the Snap-Truth interaction is probably better in UWx

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Isn't this worse than Visions in most situations?
    - Agent and Bloodbraid into this is no better than Visions. Both draw 3.
    - Can't be cast with Arcanist without other enablers (2 cmc)
    - From your hand it's just a sorcery-speed Anticipate, no Suspend mode
    - Snapcaster does FB but doesn't fit in cascade (no FB with Visions or Footfalls), so the Snap-Truth interaction is probably better in UWx
    When cascading it's the same. I was thinking it's better than Visions if played 'fairly'. Top-decking a visions is terrible in the late game, unless you genuinely have the time to wait the turns to get the 3 cards. See the Truth can be cast at any point for small value, then Snap it back for full value. Not saying it's good, it's just interesting.
    Brainstorm Realist

Sep 2011

It's interesting. Just not necessarily worth replacing Visions. You can't cast it with Dreadhorde Arcanist (2 cmc instead of 0 cmc). Snapcaster is not a Waterfalls card.

You can cast it off the topdeck, but tapping out for sorcery speed Anticipate is not something you want to do in Legacy anyway.... In the opening hand, I would rather suspend Visions than have Anticipate.

See the Truth + Snapcaster seems better in UWx control, where Snapcaster already shines.

Sep 2011

Waterfalls made Top 4 of the last Legacy Challenge: https://www.mtgo.com/en/mtgo/decklis...-07-2312568081

Notice the decklist has
    0 Orcish Bowmasters
    0 The One Ring
    0 Samwise the Stouthearted
    0 Sauron's Ransom
    0 Troll of Kazad-dum

It hasn't even heard of Tolkien!

//Mana: 30
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Taiga
    1 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Boseiju, Who Endures
    4 Sea Gate Restoration

//Combo: 11
    4 Shardless Agent
    4 Violent Outburst
    3 Crashing Footfalls

//Support Spells: 19
    4 Force of Will
    4 Force of Negation
    4 Brazen Borrower
    4 Fire // Ice
    3 Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes

//Sideboard: 15
    4 Force of Vigor
    4 Endurance
    3 Fury
    2 Mystical Dispute
    2 Inevitable Betrayal

Look at all these "HIGH CMC" cards that cost 0-2 mana:
    Force of Will, Force of Negation, Force of Vigor, Endurance, Fury, Mystical Dispute, Petty Theft, Fire // Ice

Look at all these "mana sources" that topdeck as spells:
    ESG, SSG, Sea Gate Restoration, Boseiju

Thread Information