Thread: Cook’s Kitchen – SCG Invitational: Atlanta (09/21/12): 19th Place

Bryant Cook

Cook’s Kitchen – SCG Invitational: Atlanta (09/21/12): 19th Place

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Re: Cook’s Kitchen – SCG Invitational: Atlanta (09/21/12): 19th Place

Nice work dude, UR Delver is pretty sick had I been able to make it to Atlanta I think I would've played something very similiar to the list you ran. So much Miracles...and people wonder why I'm packing Envelopes in my board now..lol.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Dread Returned
    Jul 2012
    Maryland

Very nice report!

I would have loved to see TES on camera, although the pressure is a bit relevant on camera, still great job envelope I believe was new tech for Show And Tell/Miracles as it hits Terminus, Overmaster, and Show And Tell

You should have showed Sam Black the power of Godo
    Currently Playing:
    Dredge, The Rock, Lands, Spiral Tide, Affinity

I'm incredibly confused, you said your opponent in round 5 was playing mental misstep. Did I miss that card getting unbanned, or did you mean something like spell pierce?

Edit: Oh, you switched to your standard deck

Good read.

I think Sam Black actually has quite a good understanding of EDH. Despite his limited experience with the format, (at least compared to the sanctioned realms of mtg), each of his articles with commander content display a far greater level of insight into the format than most players have.

I'm not trying to be overly negative, but it seems to me that many players (myself included) grow very attached to their pet deck after playing with it for an extended period and develop the biased mindset that their deck is the best and it can beat anything or whatever. It's always important to stay open to constructive criticism from impartial sources.

Even if you didn't want to argue the point at the time I think most readers would agree with Sam's logic that your deck sounds very belcher-style, and the article would be improved if you included a brief sentence or two explaining why your deck doesn't just lose when you're left with a bunch of mana rocks after your business spell gets neutered, instead of just "Fuck, I don't have to listen to Sam Black, what a noob"

I am very envious of all the people living in the states who get the chance to sit down and play with these well-known players, who get to see them as people, not thumbnails at the top of an article. Hopefully one day I'll have my own tale of flying to an SCG event!

Grats on the finish too

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Good read.

I think Sam Black actually has quite a good understanding of EDH. Despite his limited experience with the format, (at least compared to the sanctioned realms of mtg), each of his articles with commander content display a far greater level of insight into the format than most players have.

I'm not trying to be overly negative, but it seems to me that many players (myself included) grow very attached to their pet deck after playing with it for an extended period and develop the biased mindset that their deck is the best and it can beat anything or whatever. It's always important to stay open to constructive criticism from impartial sources.

Even if you didn't want to argue the point at the time I think most readers would agree with Sam's logic that your deck sounds very belcher-style, and the article would be improved if you included a brief sentence or two explaining why your deck doesn't just lose when you're left with a bunch of mana rocks after your business spell gets neutered, instead of just "Fuck, I don't have to listen to Sam Black, what a noob"

I am very envious of all the people living in the states who get the chance to sit down and play with these well-known players, who get to see them as people, not thumbnails at the top of an article. Hopefully one day I'll have my own tale of flying to an SCG event!

Grats on the finish too
    I've never read any of his articles that include commander so I'm unsure of his level of knowledge on the format.

You're right, I am attached to my deck. I love my EDH decks. But I also know what levels of power that they contain and Godo is very powerful. The only thing Belcher-esque about Godo is it's speed, recasting the General in this deck isn't very difficult. People often say, "You have that much mana?". There's also plenty of Wildfire and land destruction effects to set back the opponents while Godo sits pretty with it's artifact mana. Anyone who's ever played against my Godo list can confirm that it's ridiculously good. Godo is very similar to T.E.S. in the fact that it's not widely played or even known about to people that just dabble with the format, but to those who know, they know what it can do.

I didn't just say, "Fuck, I don't have to listen to Sam Black, what a noob". I was preparing for a round of magic that was worth more than arguing about a casual format. If Sam ever wanted to play out Edrik vs. Godo, I'd be happy to show him whats up.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Define hipocrisy:

Bryant Cook writing an article that makes fun of someone else standing on a chair a Hooters.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Define hipocrisy:

Bryant Cook writing an article that makes fun of someone else standing on a chair a Hooters.
    Aha! I thought of that when it was happening. Believe it or not, Dan looked more awkward than sixteen year old Bryant ever could have.

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Nice report! Was def a good read.

One question, I'm not sure I understand how this tournament worked? How did it go from Legacy to Standard and then back again the next day? What determined when you play Legacy and when you play Standard?
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    Nice report! Was def a good read.

One question, I'm not sure I understand how this tournament worked? How did it go from Legacy to Standard and then back again the next day? What determined when you play Legacy and when you play Standard?
    That's just how the SCG Invitationals are set up: 8 rounds each day, first 4 are Legacy, next 4 are Standard.

Thread Information