Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deck stolen, what can I do?

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Deck stolen, what can I do?

I know from in the photography world you can get sharpies that write in UV ink. undetectable to the naked eye, but put it under a black light and it pops up. If your hyper-paranoid, that would be better than writing in black ink.
    Funny story though, in 1996 I bought a black lotus from a reputable dealer that said "John's" on it. Both the dealer and myself were named John, the dealer had had it a few times and no one knew how it got the name.

Dread Returned
    Jul 2012
    Maryland

Sad to hear you went through this, but at least you were able to recover your deck, I had a similar experience of leaving my trade binder at a store, fortunately no one touched when I returned and all the cards were still there, but the thought of losing some valuable cards scared me

Hope to hear reports of Turbo Eldrazi in the future
    Currently Playing:
    Dredge, The Rock, Lands, Spiral Tide, Affinity

Quote Originally Posted by Linqed View Post
    And never put $2000,- in an unlocked locker.
    Never put $1 in an unlocked locker if you can help it.

As long as we're dispensing wisdom, using your laptop on the bus, at least when it's stopped at a transfer point, isn't a great idea because someone might grab it out of your hands and run off. Through almost pure luck the police recovered it, but it was still something to remember.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Luckily it was recovered. Now you can be more security minded in regards to walking around with 2500 dollar decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

I've mentioned this before in other threads, but many magic cards are now more valuable than an equal volume of $100 bills. Magic cards are almost as liquid as cash, and should be guarded as such.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    Thanks all for the advice/ideas. The campus police found the deck untouched dropped in a locker nowhere near I ever go. They said it is common to drop recently pickpocket/stolen items to a safe location to pick up later instead of moving around near the mark with stolen items.

I'll be sure to use a padlock from now on. Totally freaked out the last 24 hours.
    Great news! I'm so happy you got your deck back. I made Turbo-Eldrazi practically almost because of your posts about the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    That happened once to someone around here. The car got broken into with about 5k of cards in a backpack inside. The perp rummaged through the backpack, but left all the cards and took the CDs in the glove box instead.
    Me as well ... some pieces of shit broke my window and stole my radar detector and I had (current value) a $50,000 prismatic deck in my trunk.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    Pay attention to your stuff. Seriously, there's no one to blame except you.
    How about the thief? Sure, everyone has a responsibility to take care of their own stuff. But sometimes thieves and criminals can do horrible things despite this. I seriously detest when people automatically assume that someone got stuff stolen from them because they weren't vigilant enough.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I'm really happy you got your deck back!

That being said, at the very least, lock up your stuff!

You got lucky the thief dropped the deck box like he did.

Considering the value of the cards, treat them like you would real money.

That is great news. I still recommend you to find out what your homeowners insurance policy covers for future reference. My renters insurance doesn't cover that much for collectibles so I'm purchasing additional coverage through Statefarm. It's ~$100/yr for ~$10K coverage.
    Looking for fbb duals (preferably German)
    -----------------------------------------------
    2nd place Gencon Vintage Champs 2009
    39th place GP Chicago 2009

Aug 2011
    Italy

Seriously man, we have a phrase in my language which goes "One disaster is better than a thousand counsel". I'm glad that it worked out for you and I'm sure you'll take much better care of your cards going forward.

May 2018
    Phoenix

Sorry for this. It would be hard to have it appraised by your insurer since you lost them outside your home, would be better to claim that they were stolen at home. And take advantage of the renter’s insurance.
    Tracing the thief is also arduous since the it’s clear he knew the high value of the cards as to only make away with the deck cards without touching credit cards and all. It’s still worth it to contact your local shops, dealers and card shops and describe the cards in case they see someone selling them such cards though he will most probably move out of region.
    If there were cameras around the cops would have immediately figured out and so that’s not an option.
    Marking the cards greatly devalue them and that’s why I go for a master combo lock like FJM SX-875. It is shrouded thus will take time to access and bolt cut the hardened steel shackle. It is also light weight and so I don’t have a problem carrying it in the bag whenever I hitting the gym.
    It has 10,000 possible combinations that will take a thief forever to guess. Just like all the best locks for gym lockers, Master combination padlocks provide keyless convenience, such that you don’t have to worry about losing the key. You just have to memorize the code you set.
    And what’s more it you forget the code, you can use a master key override that hacks it open instead of having to cut or break the padlock useless.
    Last edited by Sarahaw; 08-27-2019 at 04:30 AM.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Decent Necro, young padawan

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Literally all of Sarahaw's posts are necros...
    I'm not even sure how that happens.
    This thread would have been buried pages back.

Anyways... did you hear Marvel is going to make an Avengers movie? If it's any good, maybe they'll make sequels!

Thread Information