Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck stolen, what can I do?

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

Deck stolen, what can I do?

So I'm not the most security-minded person. I have been holding my Legacy deck on my person in a messenger bag I bring to my classes. The only time I leave it unattended is at the gym every day for 2 hours. I never locked my locker for the last two years since I never had items of value in it, but since my landlord is showing their house to have it sold I'm carrying the deck on me and didn't lock my locker.

Well lo-and-behold the first day of me doing this my deck is stolen out of the locker at my college's gym. I reported it at the local police, but my bag wasn't stolen or credit cards taken, just specifically the deckbox taken so I was either marked or they knew the value/trace-ability of the cards.

My question isn't what I could have done or how dumb I was, but rather is there a way to claim this on homeowner's insurance, what kind of things should/could I do to get the card returned. Overall what actions should I take now?

Total value of the deck was ~2,100 USD.

Aug 2011
    Italy

Re: Deck stolen, what can I do?

I'm very sorry to hear this pal, you were playing that sweet turbo eldrazi deck with candles right? Do you have any gym buddies you could ask if they saw anybody fiddling around your locker. If it's not a very crowded gym can you try to find out who had access to it during those hours? I mean any way to actually find out the thief since it's a college gym?

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by bilb_o View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear this pal, you were playing that sweet turbo eldrazi deck with candles right? Do you have any gym buddies you could ask if they saw anybody fiddling around your locker. If it's not a very crowded gym can you try to find out who had access to it during those hours? I mean any way to actually find out the thief since it's a college gym?
    Yeah I'll talk to them today. unfortunately they only mark your checkin time not your checkout time and a fitness class was just ending when I was going in so the lockers were full.

And yeah, full set of candelabras, tabernacle, full trops. deck was worth over 2500 USD easily. Additionally I had my winnings in the last few months in it that I had posted on Ebay, which were another 1500$.

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

Really sorry to hear that =(

I'd definitely contact all the local game shops and have them on the lookout. I'm going to Mythic on Saturday, so I'll say something to Dan and have him on the lookout as well, just in case the thieves try to go a little further abroad. You should probably call Jupiter, as well, just in case. Otherwise....I guess keep an eye out on eBay to see if someone lists a bunch of the pieces of the deck? Wish I could do more for you =(

Did any of the cards have unusual identifying features? Signed cards/alters etc?

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    Did any of the cards have unusual identifying features? Signed cards/alters etc?
    Unfortunately no. English, good condition on them all. I'll make up a total list soon, but none of 'em are signed/crimped/identifyable.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Sorry to hear about your loss. My guess is that there's unfortunately not much you can do at this point.

If you have a landlord I'm guessing you have renter's insurance. I think insuring cards/collections has been discussed at some point here, and I believe the final verdict was that most companies are going to want an appraisal of any collectibles before they'll give you a fair value for it. I could be totally wrong though and it doesn't hurt to call your insurance company, although I have no idea how they deal with things that are stolen from somewhere other than your home.

Things like this make me seriously consider doing something like initialing my cards with a super Sharpie somewhere, at least all the staples. How much would this devalue cards like duals, goyfs, etc., if it were on the back and didn't effect playability?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Sorry to hear about your loss. My guess is that there's unfortunately not much you can do at this point.

If you have a landlord I'm guessing you have renter's insurance. I think insuring cards/collections has been discussed at some point here, and I believe the final verdict was that most companies are going to want an appraisal of any collectibles before they'll give you a fair value for it. I could be totally wrong though and it doesn't hurt to call your insurance company, although I have no idea how they deal with things that are stolen from somewhere other than your home.

Things like this make me seriously consider doing something like initialing my cards with a super Sharpie somewhere, at least all the staples. How much would this devalue cards like duals, goyfs, etc., if it were on the back and didn't effect playability?
    This would devalue them quite a bit. I had a signed badlands that wasn't signed by Garfield or Alexander and nobody wanted the thing, I was lucky to get 40 dollars for it in trade. Personally, I just keep an eye on my stuff. I've never had anything stolen from me. Although I've never heard of something like this.

I hope you get your cards back, the likelihood of that happening is pretty low though unfortunately unless the thief is stupid although the way you describe them (taking the cards and nothing else) it seems like this person knows the value of said cards and isn't likely to take them to any LGS's in your area. I would still contact all the LGS's in the area to look out for the cards that were stolen from you.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Meat Slicer at Deli

Mar 2004
    Ypsi, MI

Talk to local game shop owners/regular employees. Ask them to keep an eye out for someone appearing from nowhere with them and/or trying to sell what you had stolen. Candelabra's aren't exactly commonplace.
    Whenever I see a kid in a wheelchair it makes me a little sad. Because I always think, "Gee, they could have used those same wheels to make a bike for a regular kid. What a waste."

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Check the local dealers and card stores, and keep your eyes peeled on Ebay over the next few months. Check MOTL as well.

-Matt

And never put $2000,- in an unlocked locker.

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

This happened to me my first day of starting my graduate program when I stopped by the library to pick up some books. Put the backpack down for a few minutes to grab some books, came back, everything was left there (including my laptop) but my prescription (for some anti-anxiety/chilling out medication) and two decks had been stolen out of the front of my bag.

I went to the library front desk and reported it, the police came and found out that they had found the student who had taken the cards on a security camera. They figured out who he was, and he returned everything after I chose not to press charges (I think however, I did manage to scare him shitless with threats of expulsion from the University).

So you might want to see if perhaps there were any cameras around (although, it might be a bit weirder that one would have them in a Gym locker room than a library reference room).

Either way, best of luck, its a really horrible feeling and I know that most of us have experienced it, at least to a certain degree, at a certain point.

- Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

very sorry to hear this, but it's important to remember, a person did this. a person much like you, someone who knew the value of a deckbox like that, and who knew that it would be in your bag. It could be someone who you know, who told a friend where when and how to take that from you, and who caused it. think hard about that.

Also, it could be some random going through peoples bags, who hit the random jackpot. Sorry man

Apr 2008

Thanks all for the advice/ideas. The campus police found the deck untouched dropped in a locker nowhere near I ever go. They said it is common to drop recently pickpocket/stolen items to a safe location to pick up later instead of moving around near the mark with stolen items.

I'll be sure to use a padlock from now on. Totally freaked out the last 24 hours.

Epic Fizzle
    Feb 2007
    River Falls, Wi

At least you know where your deck went. I had a Riku EDH deck just up and disappeared. I'm not sure if I left it somewhere, if it was stolen, or if my two year old did something unthinkable to it.

If any one has seen a Russian Pongify or a 8th edition bribery that has sharpied edges and "gimme" written on it, let me know.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Wow, super lucky!

I wonder if the thief also just left it because they didn't know what the cards (ie didn't know what they were stealing) were worth?

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

crazy awesome lucky. God SHINES on you today my friend.

That really sucks, man. I'm sorry.

May 2011
    Ontario, Canada

Good to see everything worked out, and a lesson was learned.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

So lucky. Now I can start the hash tag #BanPrimevalTitan, but seriously -- I'm relieved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

If someone stole only the cards, and not your credit cards or other valuables, it's likely that the thief was someone who knows about magic cards. Since it was stolen on the first day that you were carrying it, it might have been someone that you know. If you mentioned that you were carrying the deck to anyone, I would be suspicious of them.

Thread Information