Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: The Long Term future of this format...

May 2011
    Louisiana

Re: The Long Term future of this format...

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    Wizards were coming out with premium foils of Reserved list cards pre-2011 (cough: Phyrexian Dreadnought, Mox Diamond) I wonder why they didn't squeeze in cards like Lion's Eye Diamond, Gaea's Cradle, The Abyss, The Tabernacle etc. while they were at it.
    Wizards were probably busy buying up the world's supply of The Abyss along side Starcitygames.
    Small conspiracy theory here but perhaps Wizards and Starcitygames are creating a new organization dubbed ORLCEC or Organization of the Reserve List Cards Exporting Companies.

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    Jesus I know right?

I hate how Standard has turned into such a bomby format.
    It seems like the bombs and gotten 10x stronger with an overabundance of 4-6 CMC game-enders and the answers just keep getting worse and farther apart.
    When every other deck relies on dropping a 6CMC creature and LD costs minimum 4 and just keeps getting worse something seems wrong.
    Can we SERIOUSLY get a Stone Rain that only hits non-basics at the very least, or a Ghost Quarter that has a may for the opponent to allow a mutual basic land search, or Tec Edge?
    Yeah, Standard has been so awful lately. Cards like Thragtusk are so dumb. The only profitable answers to it are your own bombs like Oliva Voldaren or your own Thragtusk, because counters are complete crap now and no matter what you do to it with a removal spell, you come out way behind. Wizards just went absolutely apeshit with regards to value creatures. If it doesn't have ETB effects, it's an on curve Undying dude. Or both. Things like HEART OF THE CARDS-ing a Bonfire are also pretty stupid, but I guess I can't be too mad at giving Red a good card.

I wish there was some way to fight this, but based on some of the big tourney coverage I've seen...it's just trading bombs with crazy ETB effects or praying your zombies get there before Thragtusk puts the game out of reach. Welp, hope I can find some good Legacy action or get into Modern...because I really don't like RtR draft much. Fucking rats.

That's not really true if you look back in Standard history. It has happened, but it's not like every time 2 3cmc LD spells fall in the same rotation LD was played to even moderate success.
    Regardless of that though there's a huge amount of space between Stone Rain + Molten Rain and the best LD available being Ghost Quarter and the next best option being unplayable.
    The funniest thing is, as someone who has played pretty much every LD deck besides Ernham-Geddon, is that it's not about the 3 CMC land destruction as much as it's a mix of other factors. You need versatile land destruction like Avalanche Riders, Creeping Mold, Demolish, Aftershock, and Wrecking Ball that can all do double duty. You need a critical mass of good mana acceleration, especially stuff that taps for many red mana. You need a resilient creature to be your win con, like Troll Ascetic. And you want something like Plow Under or Wildfire to seal the game. And even then, you have a deck that can easily lose to itself or to a low-curve aggro deck or any deck that sideboards well.

The only time LD has ever been a Tier One force in a format, yeah, they did do it with Stone Rain plus Molten Rain...but they also had a couple 2 CMC "LD" spells in the form of Boomerang and Eye of Nowhere,

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I believe the link being referred to is here.
    Close.

Although that's a good one since he specifically cites Reverberate, I found the post I was talking about here: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post...ard-as-being-a

This specifically calls out using subtype to "dodge" the list's criteria.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Fork makes the copy red, though. Whether or not that's different enough is up to interpretation.
    "functionally different cards that are virtually not(hardly) different at all from the original"

I don't think many people out there would agree that Fork vs Reverberate doesn't fall into this category. How often is it going to come up? 0.1% of the time you cast Fork/Reverberate? Even the hydroblast argument is dumb (apart from almost never being relevant) because you can just hydroblast the Reverberate.

Edit: Well, nevermind then, because....

I believe the link being referred to is here.
    That link sucks. Ugh. Wizards policy towards the RL has been getting actively more idiotic by the year, instead of less. For a while there was some serious progress with the Judge foils and the like, as well as the Reverberate type of exception.
    Nowhere do you see: Efficient Answers to Other Cards. Force and MMS will never be banned. Deal.
    Bardo, Site Admin

Snow Dual lands would be very different! You could play bombs like Skred and Scrying Sheets!

Feb 2009
    Philippines

I guess one way to "reprint" the dual lands would be to print out a land with the "Mountain" and "Forest" ability but would only be a "Land - Mountain"... Something like that.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

This is what I said. You make them not have the basic land types but the you give them colors. They are too powerful for Standard so they go into a block that has effects that count the number of cards of a color such as Blood Oath or Psychic Allergy. Also, Grixis Grimblade and company. In Legacy, there are already advantages to having lands with a color to offset the problems associated with unfetchability - such as Force of Will and Necra Sanctuary. That second one is a stretch but there is a potential benefit to playing one or two in a deck. The argument that these lands would simply get used in addition to original duals is only true in a tiny fraction of cases. Most decks fear Wasteland (and red elemental blast) enough to keep basics available. But the pull of these lands to increase the efficiency would be very real. That would diminish the role of duals some. Then you print legendary duals to reduce it even more. Who would be unwilling to drop a single legendary dual in a deck? Now you only need one or two duals in every deck instead of four.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

Who would be unwilling to drop a single legendary dual in a deck?
    Me.
    Getting Wastelanded with split second is not funny.

Btw I don't think that it's worth talking about possible dual reprints - we got shocklands, and that is it. They are fine for EDH, and I guess that is what counts. Maybe we will get "real" duals that always come into play tapped - but it's very unlikely that we will ever see a real equivalent.
    Humphrey is always correct.

Quote Originally Posted by dunkle_stille View Post
    Me.
    Getting Wastelanded with split second is not funny.

Btw I don't think that it's worth talking about possible dual reprints - we got shocklands, and that is it. They are fine for EDH, and I guess that is what counts. Maybe we will get "real" duals that always come into play tapped - but it's very unlikely that we will ever see a real equivalent.
    Wouldn't those be strictly worse than the shocklands?

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

Wouldn't those be strictly worse than the shocklands?
    Of course. I just phrased my sentence in a weird way; actually I mean that we will see that kind of card as a filler for EDH decks.
    Humphrey is always correct.

I'm not sure why some of you guys keep coming up with solutions to fix Legacy's problem when WotC has made it clear they are not going to try and fix said problem.

Thread Information