Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: UB Tezzeret

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Re: UB Tezzeret

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphos View Post
    Played the list I posted last time with two minor adjustments at GP Strasbourg...

...The deck definitely still has some consistency issues, due to the lack of draw manipulation that is inherent to most Chalice decks. If your draws are above average you are in pretty good shape against some of the more popular decks. On the other hand, there are certain strategies that you have very few cards to interact with. For example I never really felt I had much chance against the Painter deck.

Thanks for the brief writeup. Your most recent list had 1x Thirst, 2x Transmute, and 3x Foundry. I feel that Thirst is an incredibly strong card because it makes hands better with very little effort, and would feel bad running fewer than 2, especially when you are committing so many slots to Foundry. And while I prefer Trinket Mage in my build, a single Pithing Needle in your board helps a surprising amount with the "rando" strats like Painter if you have any tutoring at all.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

I played 3 TfK for the longest time until I got somebody to lend me Transmutes, but to be honest, I was never that impressed by them. I think I pitched them into Forces just about as often as I actually cast them. I could see going -1 Foundry + 1 TfK again. Perhaps I'm just biased towards the Foundry combo from playing Gearhart's old Tezzeret lists with the white splash and 4 combo pieces with Transmutes makes it very easy to assemble.

I think Needle effects might be actually a very good idea. Although I'd probably play Phyrexian Revoker over Pithing Needle itself, as I use Transmute instead of Trinket Mage.

What do you play as a Trinket Mage toolbox and how has it treated you? I never really played much with Trinket Mage lists because I want to abuse Chalice as much as possible when I play the deck.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

What do you play as a Trinket Mage toolbox and how has it treated you? I never really played much with Trinket Mage lists because I want to abuse Chalice as much as possible when I play the deck.
    It's funny, because everyone who looks at my deck and board after hearing how jazzed I am on Chalice thinks I am crazy, or just stupid. "Why are you running Duress? Or Needle/Cage?" Because everything is situational - post-board games that have both the Chalice and the specific hate cards are generally fine if I see any of it. And sometimes (though not often) I am pulling chalices because they are just underwhelming (looking at you, NicFit.)

This build is designed to be more generalized, with an Open or large, multi-region event (GP) design built into the board. If you are dealing with a defined local meta, I feel like it could easily be more finely tuned, but you concede more to the unknown. I like diverse options.

I am running a single Trinket Mage main, with Chalice, EE, and Artifact lands as targets. Yes, sometimes he is the worlds most awkward rampant growth, but it's an option, and I've used it on T2 to guarantee a land drop with a loose keep. In the board, I have Cage, Needle, and Relic (as well as more EE) as bring-in's depending on matchups. It is very possible that I should just ship the mage to the board, or just run Fabricate in the main for more diversity (and the ability to grab Bridge more often in SB games), but I really like the body the Mage comes with for blocking. 99.9999% of the time G1, the Mage is finding an EE.

The only time I find the Chalices getting in the way is against something like ANT, where a fast chalice stops their early game but I am bringing in Duress (yes, they should prob be thoughtseize as much SnT is getting played in my area now) as another interaction option. These are generally the decks where a T2 Jace/Tezz just isn't enough, and while Chalice is golden, I need to do something almost immediately, reliably, and without going to 5 (looking at you Doomsday/Belcher/TinFins/SnT.) Then, if your Chalice is stopping you from casting Duress, it's likely handicapping your opponent even more, and you can still do All The Cool Things (TM.) The upside is that I only need to run singleton multipurpose Bullets and am not clogging up draws with multiple, redundant, mid-range cards.

I played 3 TfK for the longest time until I got somebody to lend me Transmutes, but to be honest, I was never that impressed by them.
    They are easily the worst card in the Deck, next to all of the other ones. I am almost NEVER upset to be casting one, unless I am digging for a specific answer.

All of this is still predicated on my 3 TFK. I reliably see so many cards by the early mid-game that I can afford to be a bit looser. I have to deal with more Stoneblade recently, and have skewed my main a little towards being more grindy (and as a side bonus, have improved my Jund matchup.)

If I were to change anything right now, I would try -2 Solemn, -1 Trinket Mage, -1 TFK, +1 Sword of the Meek, +1 Thropter Foundry, +2 Transmute artifact. But MAN, T2 Solemn is good on the play vs gobbos ;)
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

My worst matchup so far has been against Goblins. Ensnaring bridge doesn't do its job fast enough (or at all) and while Engineered Plague works really well against them, the white splash that many people seem to like in Gobs makes it a lot less effective than usual. I'm currently looking at a combination of Engineered Plague and Propaganda. I might not be able to seek it out like bridge but it works immediately on hitting the table.

Quote Originally Posted by AmishLuvah View Post
    My worst matchup so far has been against Goblins. Ensnaring bridge doesn't do its job fast enough (or at all) and while Engineered Plague works really well against them, the white splash that many people seem to like in Gobs makes it a lot less effective than usual. I'm currently looking at a combination of Engineered Plague and Propaganda. I might not be able to seek it out like bridge but it works immediately on hitting the table.
    Torpor Orb can be really strong against goblins it may be worth a slot or two if it is a common match up. Also Tangle wire can buy a lot of time.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by AmishLuvah View Post
    Silent Arbiter
    Caltrops
    Weakstone
    Norn's Annex
    Al-abara's Carpet
    Forcefield.

If Goblins is REALLY a problem, consistently, and every time you play, to the point where E-Plague alone isn't good enough, then there are WAY better Artifact answers than Propaganda (and I LOVE the card Propaganda!)
    -----
    -----

Huh, I'll have to take a closer look at artifact answers. I forgot about half that stuff actually.

I'm thinking about this deck list, but I haven't played with it. What do you think about?

//LANDS
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Vault of Whispers
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Wasteland
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Island
    1 Swamp
    3 Watery Grave
    2 city of traitor

//SPELLS
    3 Dimir Signet
    2 Talisman of Progress
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Smokestack
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Jace the mindsculptor
    2 Thopter Foundry
    1 Sword of the Meek
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Trading Post

Quote Originally Posted by Canarias4life View Post
    I'm thinking about this deck list, but I haven't played with it. What do you think about?

//LANDS
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Vault of Whispers
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Wasteland
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Island
    1 Swamp
    3 Watery Grave
    2 city of traitor

//SPELLS
    3 Dimir Signet
    2 Talisman of Progress
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Smokestack
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Jace the mindsculptor
    2 Thopter Foundry
    1 Sword of the Meek
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Trading Post
    This is one list that is much worse with ravnica duels... you already lose a lot of life to tombs and tailismen...

I would suggest transmute artifact over thirst.. their is a lot of chaff in the deck and transmute always finds the card you need... and either puts it in play or leaves it in your deck to try again later.

what do you guys thing about a BUG version of this deck ?

something a long the lings of :

Creatures
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Shardless Agent
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph

Instants
    4 Force of Will
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm

Artifacts
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Engineered Explosives

Planeswalkers
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Lands
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Vaul of Whispers
    1 Academy Ruins

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslan View Post

Creatures
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Shardless Agent
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph

Instants
    4 Force of Will
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm

Artifacts
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Engineered Explosives

Planeswalkers

Lands
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Vaul of Whispers
    1 Academy Ruins
    One of the nice things about the UB deck is its strength against creature removal, you can just lay out a ton of mana rocks and ultimate tezz... this deck won't do that. So terminus and whatnot still work pretty well. Furthermore UB can play its Planeswalker turn two... this list cannot do that either.... so I guess what I am trying to say is its a different deck altogether.... Looks like BUG without LILI and with tez instead

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

So right now, the general consensus seems to be to use Ellomdian's list? I'm looking for a solid starting core (56/60 or so), so I'm curious as to what the communities consensus is.
    Has anyone with a lot of experience with the deck considered writing a primer?

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    So right now, the general consensus seems to be to use Ellomdian's list? I'm looking for a solid starting core (56/60 or so), so I'm curious as to what the communities consensus is.
    Has anyone with a lot of experience with the deck considered writing a primer?
    I laid out some foundations a few pages ago, but one of my caveats was that I don't feel there is necessarily a consensus. It's not like Stoneblade or RUG where 50 of the cards are locked and most of the rest have a general consensus. There is a lot more flexibility depending on what you want to accomplish.

I was going to write a primer and got caught up playing ANT and Esper with a teammate who is going to an Invitational soon, so most of the Tezz work lately has been slow. I will try to get something out there, but no promises.
    -----
    -----

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I played a Stax version of UB Tezzeret that I got from Nedleeds on this board. Does any one else play a staxxy version? (I didnt run Mindsculptors)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslan View Post

Creatures
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Shardless Agent
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph

Instants
    4 Force of Will
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm

Artifacts
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Engineered Explosives

Planeswalkers

Lands
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Vaul of Whispers
    1 Academy Ruins
    Why even run tezzeret in this deck? He's bad impulse since you'll hit about 20% of the time. Just run Garruck Relentless.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Jace seems very Meh with the lack of a large # of fetches in these decks.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Jace seems very Meh with the lack of a large # of fetches in these decks.
    Keep in mind that Tezz acts as a sort of shuffle effect if they are both out. You just push the cards in question to the bottom. Also, for me he has acted mostly for fate-seal and creature bounce. Haven't really used the brainstorm much.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Any thought of going Grixis and playing with a couple of Ral Zareks? His removal may be a bit better, and untapping stuff may be useful (like untapping Tapped Tezzerets!!!!). I guess it depends on the build though. The build I played from nedleeds played a couple trading posts and I know Ral would have been Insane in that role. Oh jesus that magical christmasland thought...

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Any thought of going Grixis and playing with a couple of Ral Zareks?
    There was a thread that suggested a Grixis walkers deck using Ral, and it died on the vine rather quickly. Ral is a neat, fun walker that suffers from the "Not JTMS Syndrome." Tezz dodges that in this deck because, with an artifact base, his abilities are absurd. I also don't see how you can add a 3rd color and maintain any sort of consistency, and even then you open yourself up to wasteland even more.

As for shuffle effects, I am running a few more than most (3 Fetch, 2 Solemn, 1 Trinket Mage) but I don't feel that a lack of Fetches can really be a justification for not running Jace. Because Jace is not actually a Brainstorm (it doesn't burn a card in your hand) at the worst, he's a very efficient Sylvan Library, and between cantrips and Tezz, he is quite simply The Business.

While I am open to suggestions, and happy to try interesting ideas in my testing group, I cannot justify playing this deck without at least 3 JTMS right now, and the strength of it both against and as counterplay for Stoneblade makes the 4th almost mandatory if you are dealing with Esper in your meta. You cannot run 8 Tezzerets to ensure a large number of Turn 2 walkers, and I feel like a T1 Chalice or T2 Walker is the reason you play this deck at all.

The cards you add to the shell I discussed are up to you - if you want to play stax, play stax; I love stax, I might build stax into this for fun. Play painter, or ThroperSword with Spine (SPICY!!!), or Mesmeric Orb/Monolith. or Dark Depths and Hexmage. The point is you can do whatever you want within approx 10 cards - this deck provides an amazing shell with multiple options that you can literally change between tournaments or even between games if you want to be transformational, and the only 'restrictions' are that you should probably stick with artifacts, and blue/black cards. I am inclined to lean towards win cons that are resilient to Needle effects, and as a result, I am generally slower than the combo-kill variants.
    -----
    -----

Thread Information