4 1.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surviving Legacy Poll: Age of Legacy Players

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Surviving Legacy Poll: Age of Legacy Players

Hey all,

I'm actually interested in seeing what the median and average age of Legacy players is on the Source, and, how long you've been in Legacy itself or playing Magic.

This is a bit of a carry over from the thread started by Finn.

-Matt

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

Re: Surviving Legacy Poll: Age of Legacy Players

I really only play Legacy because there are more opponents, thus making it easier to fill the void between Vintage games. Vintage is the real format for Gentlemen and Scholars. Cue Ertai's Familiar's Steve McQueen image.

I've seen a 7 year old playing Blecher at a GP. It was fun to watch.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Im so old!! I play legacy because it is the best format! I would play vintage too but I have never even seen a vintage tourney:(
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

When I first started playing magic there was a regular vintage tourney at the shop I went to, due to some personal arguments amongst the players they were stopped and 1.5 took over after that point. Enter me.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Almost, "...23 and you're still mad at me."
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

where will you collect this data for modern players? I dont know a modern-only forum.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Norwegian Polarbear Fighter

Jan 2012

Been playing magic since odyssey at a very low level. Started playing more seriously when Lorwyn came out. I started playing Legacy the month Worlds 2011 was due to being able to get a hold of a lot of staples that i couldn't get here in Norway :).

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

With 18 I seem to be the youngest player for now :P

I play Legacy competitivly now, and I already own most of the relevant (blue) pool. Ive been playing Casualmagic for about...4 years... nothing special. A game per month with my 200card Merfolkdeck...

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Played since when 4th edition, Dark, Fallen Empires and Chronicles were all around.

Then quit after Tempest but kept all of my cards. Now I play sometimes and collect legacy staples. Plan to play with my children too. :)
    Last edited by raudo; 10-09-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Jul 2012
    Lund, Sweden

I'm 32, started playing around Revised, quit playing around Mirage. After a few years of attending prereleases (Ravnica/Lorwyn Block) i took up drafting weekly around Mirrodin Besieged. I quickly gravitated to legacy, cause it seemed like a lot of fun (and i could play with cards I actually remembered).
    No.

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

Started in Saga casually, then dropped it and picked it back up again on and off until Lorwyn/Shards. Come Shards, my area actually started developing a competitive crew/multiple shops etc, so I got back into it in a real big way then and haven't looked back since. I think I first got into legacy during the grey zone between Shards and Zendikar -- a lot of people played Extended for a while here, and then we all moved into legacy from that.

Note: my god do I wish I knew what I know now when I first started in Saga =(

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

The age brackets show lack of respect for people.
    Bunching together everyone over 40 like this is an example of behavior
    That make reluctant to tell my age to people.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Interesting looking bell curve we have going thus far...

I started playing magic in Unlimited, right before Revised came out I guess. I never played type 2, as I liked playing with my Revised duals. :) I stopped right after Tempest block (missed a good one right after that) due to moving and not knowing anyone that played, and started playing again when Zendikar was released. Picked up my old cards again, and started acquiring the Type 1.5/Legacy staples that I had missed (a lot, obv).
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I'm 30, and I must have started playing in late '94. Revised and FE were out, and I remember seeing The Dark for sale for a bit, but not buying any because I wasn't sure if it was compatible with Revised or not (facepalm).

By the time Ice Age came out I had a better grasp on things, reading Inquest and such. Then Star City started having tournaments every week and we managed to convince our parents it wasn't satanic and got a bit more serious.

Dropped it when I went to college in 99/00, picked it back up just before M10 came out. I kept seeing ads for the new set online, poked around and found out about the Legacy format, which sounded perfect for me since my old deck was still legal, and there was a new store just a couple miles from me running weekly events. Hooked ever since.

Ironically, I had no idea how big SCG had gotten in the meantime. People kept talking about prices on "star city" and I couldn't even believe it was the same thing until I looked them up. Pete Hoefling used to show up every Sunday in sweatpants and a t-shirt to run events, and it was just the back room of his dad's comic shop. It was actually called Star City Comics, but Pete convinced the old man to give him some counter space and now here we are.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Im 19, I started playing mtg at the shards prerelease. I tought myself how to play with that free game you could download off wizards website where you picked 2 colours and it made a deck for you out of 9th cards to play an AI opponent - at the prerelease I didnt know anybody.

I signed up for the judge program and compensation from nationals, ptqs etc was quickly traded into fows and wastelands. I made lots of friends through being a judge and joined a bit of a network which kept the entire standard format and a lot of legacy decks sleeved up and ready to go. After moneying some store credit standard events with their help I bought some duals and now I have about 3 completed/near completed legacy decks...

...back at home in New Zealand, which I left to go to university overseas. It's just a bit of limited events for me at the moment. If youre in Singapore and you want to go to FNM somewhere this Friday then lmk :-P

May 2011
    Somewhere around earth.

Got my first magic cards from a cousin during mirage or so block, never really got interested in the game and ended up losing those cards. Came back to it around the time apocalypse was released, but couldn't find anyone to play with so I quit again. Then came back (again) for mirrodin, and finally found people who play and started playing some casual standard during the reign of affinity.
    Shortly after, I discovered legacy, and tired of standard almost instantly, I've quit the game and returned many times since, but whenever I decide to pick up my cards I end up going straight back to legacy.

All this back and forth and I'm only in my twenties!
    At least now I know enough to keep my damn cards when I take a break instead of selling them off -.-;
    Playing Legacy: Landstill ProsperAtog ArmageddonStax

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

26 here. I started playing in third grade. I would pocket my lunch money, mooch tater tots off other kids, and walk to the card shop to buy Ice Age boosters with my cash. I remember I opened a Pygmy Allosaurus and another kid told me it was worth 5 bucks. I went apeshit.

Force of Nature was the coolest card in the game.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

23. Started playing very casually during Odyssey - Mirrodin. Came back to the game in M10, and quickly fell in love with the competitive scene.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Modern data will be collected later from a variety of sources, don't you worry. So far, it seems like we have a two-peak distribution about the mid-20's and late-20's. Interesting.

-Matt

Thread Information