View Poll Results: If Legacy dies, Im going to..

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • switch to Standard

11 6.51%
  • switch to Modern

54 31.95%
  • play only Limited

30 17.75%
  • quit Magic and sell all (most) cards

62 36.69%
  • quit Magic and keep (most) cards

43 25.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If Legacy dies, Im going to..

Re: If Legacy dies, Im going to..

Quote Originally Posted by Snap_Keep View Post
    What in the world are you talking about?
    The day the music died.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Let's do a thought experiment.

Suppose Legacy breaks the affordability threshold and it starts to atrophy. For the sake of this argument, let's say it's $100. A top-tier Legacy decks costs $100 now, which is more than is reasonable to be able to afford. No new players join the format as a result. Over time, people naturally quit for a variety of reasons, and now sell those cards. If the phenomenon occurs frequently enough, then the market place will become flooded with copies of the deck being sold at a discount. Now the same deck will cost $95. This drops below the threshold and new blood enters.

And so, the very nature of rising prices and limited access to new players is self-correcting. Legacy will remain in an equilibrium that balances between Affordability and Recruitment. The two are inversely related.
    How's that working for Vintage?
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by TeenieBopper View Post
    How's that working for Vintage?
    Vintage is... unique. The cards are more collectible and worth MORE as collections rather than play things. Can't really say that to Revised duals -- Reserve List maybe.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

...continue playing legacy.. because Ill still have my cards and playgroup? I feel like these threads are almost entirely started by people who want to play legacy, but dont want to invest money into the staples.
    westcoast degeneracy

Where's "play EDH"?
    Nowhere do you see: Efficient Answers to Other Cards. Force and MMS will never be banned. Deal.
    Bardo, Site Admin

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

The options in the poll are limited and so are you. Also, I was surprised not to see one of your "Ban Brainstorm" outcries in the startpost.

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post
    The options in the poll are limited and so are you. Also, I was surprised not to see one of your "Ban Brainstorm" outcries in the startpost.
    "If Legacy dies, I'm going to Ban Brainstorm" doesn't make a whole lot of sense, though.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    "If Legacy dies, I'm going to Ban Brainstorm" doesn't make a whole lot of sense, though.
    Not sure if serious...

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Well actually some people argue that if brainstorm becomes banned, legacy will die.
    Its true, that I dont think so.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Where's "Pick up my Standstills and go play Vintage?"

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by csy View Post
    ...continue playing legacy.. because Ill still have my cards and playgroup? I feel like these threads are almost entirely started by people who want to play legacy, but dont want to invest money into the staples.
    What if? I don't see why this is a problem. A lot of people started with legacy for this same reason, and due to the fact that today staples were way cheaper back in the start of the format. It's not like $ is not a reasonable argument to keep a hobby or not.

If these were pro players talking, than this would be another subject.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

What about vintage, cube, or edh? I'd definitely consider these before any of the other options on the poll.

...play casual and Limited. I started playing Legacy because it was the format all of my friends played back then, and I keep playing Legacy because it's the only format in addition to draft that I am currently familiar with, not because I think it's the best format there is. These days, I'm too lazy to pick up new formats, so if Legacy dies, I'm not going to have a replacement.
    The land of waiting where the dead sit in their thoughts' shadow, by no moon lit.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

I stopped playing FNM and most paper magic due to a lack of time from School and work.

As a result the one of the only Magic related things I do nowadays is grind MTGO since it fits my schedule better to just hop into a Daily Event(it lets me help the locals testing for PTQS, GPs, etc by letting me contribute with my experience of playing against MTGO ringers)

Since Legacy is not as cut-throat as trying to win a PTQ or top 4 a GP, its the only paper format I play on a semi-regularly on weekends since I can afford to do little testing due to the low-level competition. I also cube draft with the locals in Philadelphia when I get a chance so add that to the paper formats I play.

So if Legacy "died" I'd still hold onto my cards and keeping grinding MTGO and do cube drafts.

Feb 2012
    Tienen

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Vintage is... unique. The cards are more collectible and worth MORE as collections rather than play things. Can't really say that to Revised duals -- Reserve List maybe.

How do you explain the current pricetag of Cursed Scroll (10 us$ on scg, 8 € on Nedermagic) or Masticore (32 $/ 22 €)? Those cards haven't seen competitive play since Justin Bieber got weened from his mother's teet. People are very hesitant to sell cards at a significantly lower price than which they bought them for. It's a well known phaenomenon. Same reason why so many unemployed people won't accept a new job with a significantly lower salary. The vast majority of owners will prefer to keep their Underground Seas, Tundras, Force of Wills,... rather than dump them at discount prices, because 'you never know when they will go up again'. Prices may freeze, they may slowly drop, but they will NEVER plummet.

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Vintage.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    How do you explain the current pricetag of Cursed Scroll (10 us$ on scg, 8 € on Nedermagic) or Masticore (32 $/ 22 €)? Those cards haven't seen competitive play since Justin Bieber got weened from his mother's teet. People are very hesitant to sell cards at a significantly lower price than which they bought them for. It's a well known phaenomenon. Same reason why so many unemployed people won't accept a new job with a significantly lower salary. The vast majority of owners will prefer to keep their Underground Seas, Tundras, Force of Wills,... rather than dump them at discount prices, because 'you never know when they will go up again'. Prices may freeze, they may slowly drop, but they will NEVER plummet.
    This. This is the truth, and unfortunately legacy is going the way of Vintage. I wonder if there's a ceiling where the prices won't rise no more, but so far, nope, things just rise rise and rise.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

How do you explain the current pricetag of Cursed Scroll (10 us$ on scg, 8 € on Nedermagic) or Masticore (32 $/ 22 €)?
    You mess up on something, Masticore isn't worth more than 2-3 Euro.
    Humphrey is always correct.

Feb 2012
    Tienen

Quote Originally Posted by dunkle_stille View Post
    You mess up on something, Masticore isn't worth more than 2-3 Euro.
    Indeed I did, apparantly. I misread, a rather clumsy thing to do. The Cursed Scroll example still stands though. Survival of the Fittest is a more fitting example. Only legal in Vintage, where it isn't exactly an all star card, and zero chance of ever becoming unbanned in legacy. But still worth 20. People just won't dump it for much lower.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Vintage is literally:
    Legacy + 15 cards that are worth >$100.

Those 15 cards are also on the Reserve List, and have a huge sentimental/collectible value. Demand for tournaments is not propping these cards' values whatsoever.

EDIT - Survival of the Fittest is legal in EDH too, which last I checked has a huge influence on prices. Much more than Legacy.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Setherial View Post
    play Cube and Commander ofcourse an non of the listed formats.
    Snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    The question is, at the time legacy dies, how good is modern? At the moment itscCasual combos and not that skillintensive or even fun for me.. but the Cardpool will get bigger and bigger.
    Nevertheless cube seems like the perfect idea.
    While modern does get rid of some of the stupid cards it misses out on the core of classic MTG for me (Counterspell, Swords, Dark Ritual, Mishra's Factory, and [insert favourite card here]) and why would I ever want to play with Shock-Lands?
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Thread Information