Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Article] The Legacy Laser – UBR Ad Nauseam Tendrils

Jun 2012
    Argentina

Re: [Article] The Legacy Laser – UBR Ad Nauseam Tendrils

if he won a gp and later split finals in ovino... idk.. good player? good deck? both? is not a coincidence to me at least

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Kid gets lucky once and now he's an expert.
    This "kid" has luck like you do.
    Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

-Team R&D-
    -noitcelfeR maeT-

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Well, maybe he got lucky once in a while - we all do.

BUT: He and his friends have been winning like every eternal-tournament they enter. He provides some of them with lists and boardingplans, and these guys win tournaments like BoM. He himself wins GP, Ovino-Modern-Top8 (ends late in night) and right at the next day Ovino-Legacy Top2-split... so... lucky..maybe...skilful? definitely!

Great article, though I enjoy his (german) blogs more :P I may be picking up ANT too :P

And yes, he is an expert, atleast for certain parts of Legacy. If he'd tell me what counter-suite to play in Miracle I'd say.."Thanks for the ideas, Ill give it a try." If he tells me how to play Dredge/Storm I say "Yes, Sir."

Greetings
    Last edited by Einherjer; 10-12-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

I'll never be on board with playing any form of graveyard hate in my sideboard. It's just terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    I'll never be on board with playing any form of graveyard hate in my sideboard. It's just terrible.
    Why exactly? You are running a slower version of storm (as compared to TES/Belcher), slow enough for GY dependant decks to start gaining an edge against you. Without silence to chant lock dredge, devote 2 slots and win? What's wrong with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook
    Lastly, just throw a green source into your deck and play Abrupt Decay? How is that manabase any better than T.E.S.'s? At that point you're a four color deck based on duals and fetchlands, you're only slowing down the deck even more.
    Most of the lists I've seen run it in the board, almost exclusively for Miracles. Miracles really wants to hit UU by turn 2 and rarely tries also to jam wasteland with that sort of color requirement. I see the reasoning behind the rest of your post here, but the matchup where abrupt decay is aiming for along with the 4th color, they do not have wastelands. Even if Miracles starts running wastes, hold up that fetch or land in hand until you can decay and kill in one turn: it isn't like you are under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune
    Because Bryant and TES have put up tournament numbers for years and this player and this deck haven't accomplished anything significant that I'm aware of?

People really shouldn't post an untested Storm list and just claim it's superior to TES when said Storm list and TES are just fundamentally two different Storm decks with their own varrying strengths and weaknesses, nothing clearly makes discard or Cabal Ritual any stronger than Silence, Xantid Swarm or Rite of Flame, where one set of cards is trying to win before the opponent reaches the mid-game and the second set of cards is trying to win before the opponent plays his second land drop.
    UBx AnT has had continued success in Europe across several players, while TES's numbers stem largely from Bryant alone. To say it is UNTESTED is wrong: the first instance of the deck i recall was here back in March
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...9&iddeck=58671 . Since then both Matt Elias and Carsten Kotter have written about it on SCG, with links:
    http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...ombo_Deck.html (scroll to the end for the list)
    http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...bal_Rises.html (A list from February)
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Why exactly? You are running a slower version of storm (as compared to TES/Belcher), slow enough for GY dependant decks to start gaining an edge against you. Without silence to chant lock dredge, devote 2 slots and win? What's wrong with that?

Most of the lists I've seen run it in the board, almost exclusively for Miracles. Miracles really wants to hit UU by turn 2 and rarely tries also to jam wasteland with that sort of color requirement. I see the reasoning behind the rest of your post here, but the matchup where abrupt decay is aiming for along with the 4th color, they do not have wastelands. Even if Miracles starts running wastes, hold up that fetch or land in hand until you can decay and kill in one turn: it isn't like you are under pressure.

UBx AnT has had continued success in Europe across several players, while TES's numbers stem largely from Bryant alone. To say it is UNTESTED is wrong: the first instance of the deck i recall was here back in March
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...9&iddeck=58671 . Since then both Matt Elias and Carsten Kotter have written about it on SCG, with links:
    http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...ombo_Deck.html (scroll to the end for the list)
    Which is basically still the list I'm using, for what it's worth (with a different SB), though I'm considering emidlns Snapcasters instead of the Preordains. To give credit where credit is due, the very first time this list has popped up to my knowledge is actually at GP Amsterdam back nearly a year ago in the hands of Elie Pichon:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...ms11/welcome#0

If someone is interested why the deck didn't win that GP already and was largely overlooked, check the semifinals coverage.
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mon,Goblin Chief View Post
    If someone is interested why the deck didn't win that GP already and was largely overlooked, check the semifinals coverage.

tl;dr: he got a game loss for improper sideboarding that stopped him cold, IIRC.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Kid gets lucky once and now he's an expert.
    And yet he wins/top8s three consecutive tournaments with several hundred players. Yeah, "lucky".

Flames removed. - zilla

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post

I never said anything about ANT as an archetype in Legacy, I was commenting about the guy's specific version of the deck. If his performances hold I'll reconsider my position, I just don't think attacking a long standing archetype with years of tournament showings as a basis for your article lends itself any credibility.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    I never said anything about ANT as an archetype in Legacy, I was commenting about the guy's specific version of the deck. If his performances hold I'll reconsider my position, I just don't think attacking a long standing archetype with years of tournament showings as a basis for your article lends itself any credibility.
    So basically, you'll be convinced if he keeps winning or splitting in the Finals of large tournaments (445 to 1345 players)?

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    So basically, you'll be convinced if he keeps winning or splitting in the Finals of large tournaments (445 to 1345 players)?
    I'm not certain tournament size is the most relevant factor, but yes, two major wins is a coincidence, three is a pattern and if he continues to put up results I'll take him more seriously than I will by reading his unnecessarily abrasive teenage writing style.

pussy head man from outer space
    Mar 2006

This is not a matter of tes vs. ant, this is about how Mr.Bryant-please-like-my-Facebook-Page-Cook got butthurt...

Just fyi Timo never claimed topic be an expert...

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Best storm deck right now.

Any one want to say other wise should have got a top 8 at a GP with their list this year.

Pretty hard to get lucky playing 20 rounds, twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

T.E.S. is just the worse storm deck - why should anyone still play it? Actually it's the worse storm deck since, I dunno, 2 years at least? I always had the impression that if a storm player wanted to play more colors and stuff like Orims Chant he would just opt for Doomsday, which at least gets out of situations the T.E.S deck couldn't.

Oh and no, I don't play storm myself, but from just looking at the decklists and playing against both T.E.S and Ant ( all those names are bullshit, theres only 1 STORM.dec and thats the one with the better win percentage ) I know that one deck is inferior to the other.
    Humphrey is always correct.

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

Bah, in before edit, no I don't care if the author and the deck won GP Ghent, compare that to Bryant and TES's tournament placements over numerous years in this format and it's nothing more than a flash in the pan success and not a reason to unnecessarily bash on TES without being objective.
    Wow, some of you really are delusional. So winning a Grand Prix and two of the five biggest Legacy events this year (and other smaller ones) with the same 75 is not comparable to Bryant playing TES and doing well in tournaments less than 100 people on average? You truly must not understand how stupid your statement is.

Having a fetchland base is superior when you play against competent opponents in tournaments with many rounds. How many other people have been winning Grand Prixs and the like with TES? Go look at some results and then come back to this thread.
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Quote Originally Posted by JACO View Post
    Wow, some of you really are delusional. So winning a Grand Prix and two of the five biggest Legacy events this year (and other smaller ones) with the same 75 is not comparable to Bryant playing TES and doing well in tournaments less than 100 people on average? You truly must not understand how stupid your statement is.

Having a fetchland base is superior when you play against competent opponents in tournaments with many rounds. How many other people have been winning Grand Prixs and the like with TES? Go look at some results and then come back to this thread.
    Whatever, I have nothing against the author or his deck other than the unnecessary tone and lack of objectivism in his article, but I'm certainly not going to just immediately jump on the "band wagon" after some one wins a single GP with a Storm variant. That said having placed multiple times in major Top 8s recently is respectable, and I'll wait to see whether or not the deck continues to perform before I arbitrarily compare one deck to another as inarguably superior like everybody else seems to be doing.

Sorry, but for the people who actually play Storm as an archetype, it's just not that black and white.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Before ranting you may be well advised with reading the first paragraph again?

"This is not your average strategy article. You have been warned."

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Whatever, I have nothing against the author or his deck other than the unnecessary tone and lack of objectivism in his article, but I'm certainly not going to just immediately jump on the "band wagon" after some one wins a single GP with a Storm variant. That said having placed multiple times in major Top 8s recently is respectable, and I'll wait to see whether or not the deck continues to perform before I arbitrarily compare one deck to another as inarguably superior like everybody else seems to be doing.

Sorry, but for the people who actually play Storm as an archetype, it's just not that black and white.
    Sorry, but for the people who actually aren't delusional making such generalisations is...well, delusional. Talking about black and white and making such statements shows your double standards and not your "expertise".

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

Timo, I really like your writing, keep on with juicy articles

You sold me the statement of (1-mana) targeted Discard being insanely good, more so in a proactive deck. I would need practice to process information faster and cope with the two most powerful effects in Legacy, Brainstorm + Fetchland and Cabal Therapy/Thoughtseize.

TES fanatics: The author was not in a position to argue, why would we? We take nourishment from their articles, gear towards a better Storm list in our meta, and enjoy Magic as our hobby.
    On the Sep 2011 Ban List Updates,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    Yep DCI/Wizards never fails... those that cry the loudest wins!

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Coming this Christmas...
    "Bryant Cook vs. Europe"
    ...to a theater near you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Thread Information