Page 2 of 338 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] 12 Post

Re: [Deck] Turbo Eldrazi

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    Fixed?

Is Exploration too dead in this deck? Or what is the reasoning behind not running it?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I'm gonna start building up with this deck but will play it as my "casual" deck. If only Frantic Search were unbanned... I wouldn't need tons of cash for Candelabra.

Speaking of Candelabra, why only one Rock Lee? You have a playset. Is SDTop and Brainstorm good enough in finding the miser Candle?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I'm gonna start building up with this deck but will play it as my "casual" deck. If only Frantic Search were unbanned... I wouldn't need tons of cash for Candelabra.

Speaking of Candelabra, why only one Rock Lee? You have a playset. Is SDTop and Brainstorm good enough in finding the miser Candle?
    If you're on a budget there is the tad weaker Magus of the Candelbra. A plus about him though is that he's "fetchable" with Green Sun's Zenith. I think I would definately run him since I don't own the real deal, and even though I am able to make a G/U version, I'd probably try to keep it monogreen with Explorations, Crop Rotations and Green Sun's Zenith as I've learned from Rock's report, it feels that Titan is the best card in the deck. And having virtually 8 of them seems good at first glance.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I feel Rock Lee's build is the optimal one versus mono green and white green versions.

I'm building one sole for entertainment/multiplayer kitchen purpose only (just like I did with Parfait when Land Tax was banned).
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

I actually played lee it the 5th round of providence with dredge and after losing to him I really want to build this deck. It's so awesome so congrats sir you have converted another to this crazy cool deck.

The Enchanter
    Mar 2012
    Council Bluffs, IA

Also, just for the record, Glimmerpost wasn't printed till October of 2010. THAT card is kind of a big deal. It was shortly after that, my friend and I also came up with a really early Mono Green version and started tearing up local tournaments. I also piloted the deck to a Top 32 finish at an SCG open a couple months later.

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Fixed?
    You can totally name Helm of Awakening with Needle. Then again you can name Island too.

I just snagged the Tabernacle I've been missing. Woohoo

To anyone missing the Tabernacle - DO NOT USE Magus of the Tabernacle. It does not work. I actually found the U/G Miracles version can survive without it, especially with a second Glacial Chasm and some Elephant Grass in the sideboard.

Same thing with Magus of the Candelabra - even with GSZ, it sucks because of Summoning Sickness. It just gets killed too easily before you get value out of it.

@Rock Lee - have you come across any Dragon Stompy or any other decks running Blood Moon/Magus of the Moon? I don't feel like its totally unwinnable, since DS is unstable enough that they often cannot put any pressure on you besides that Turn2 Magus. In about 4 of 10 games I tested pre-sideboard, I was able to Miracle a Devastation Tide EOT and get a threat down before they could actually kill me. I assume that the same would have held true for casting a Repeal for 3 or 4 and getting an explosive turn. Thoughts?

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by civet five View Post
    I just snagged the Tabernacle I've been missing. Woohoo

To anyone missing the Tabernacle - DO NOT USE Magus of the Tabernacle. It does not work. I actually found the U/G Miracles version can survive without it, especially with a second Glacial Chasm and some Elephant Grass in the sideboard.

Same thing with Magus of the Candelabra - even with GSZ, it sucks because of Summoning Sickness. It just gets killed too easily before you get value out of it.

@Rock Lee - have you come across any Dragon Stompy or any other decks running Blood Moon/Magus of the Moon? I don't feel like its totally unwinnable, since DS is unstable enough that they often cannot put any pressure on you besides that Turn2 Magus. In about 4 of 10 games I tested pre-sideboard, I was able to Miracle a Devastation Tide EOT and get a threat down before they could actually kill me. I assume that the same would have held true for casting a Repeal for 3 or 4 and getting an explosive turn. Thoughts?
    It's not 2009 anymore. Play lands till you can cast something or play an Oblivion Stone if it's that important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Quote Originally Posted by TraxDaMax View Post
    Is Exploration too dead in this deck? Or what is the reasoning behind not running it?
    It's played in mono green builds.

The Enchanter
    Mar 2012
    Council Bluffs, IA

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    It's not 2009 anymore. Play lands till you can cast something or play an Oblivion Stone if it's that important.
    To be fair, Rock Lee's version is hindered a lot more by Moon effects. He doesn't play as many basics and can't just play six lands and cast a Titan with only one basic Forest. And he's not playing Wurmcoil Engine or anything like that. Prioritizing fetching the one basic Island is necessary in those cases. Being able to still cast Show and Tell or Repeal should get you out of it.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Since we're discussing the deck on a competitive (read: maximizing EV) level, Dragon Stomp can easily be neglected. The amount of effort put into trying to still work under Blood Moon just isn't worth the close-to-zero relevance of Dragon Stompy.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

What made you realize that Show and Tell is a 4-of in this deck and that upping the creature count is the right move? Why did it took 2 years?

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by civet five View Post
    Similar to what HoneyT said. If I were worrying about Moon effects, the Mono Green version is stronger, but not significantly stronger. If Moons are in your meta, run 3 basics islands, 3 Trops, 3 Fetchlands, Devastation Tide instead of Tabernacle & x2 Elephant Grass (In that 3 spot) in your sb.

Dragon Stompy loses to any Show & Tell choice. Bring in your Revokers and name their equipment or pump dude if in play. Stalling out the game wins you this one again, having 8 straight removal spells for moon effects, 15 with Venser + Tide, and being able to fetch out basic lands under magus of the moon is not something they can deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since we're discussing the deck on a competitive (read: maximizing EV) level, Dragon Stomp can easily be neglected. The amount of effort put into trying to still work under Blood Moon just isn't worth the close-to-zero relevance of Dragon Stompy.
    Focusing on EV is an easy way to lose with this deck. Random Combo, which Dragon Stompy belongs to, is THE "archetype" that Turbo Eldrazi loses to. I have been knocked out of several SCG's in the past because I was paired against 3x affinity lists and one of them drew the nuts, or Dragon Stompy 2x and one of them had sauce draws.

Normally the rule with a deck is "playtest your likely top 8 matchups," with this deck the rule is "playtest every random crazy deck you can, because you crush everyone else."

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    What made you realize that Show and Tell is a 4-of in this deck and that upping the creature count is the right move? Why did it took 2 years?
    I still waffle between 3-4 Show & Tell even in this build. The reason it is 4 at the moment is because RuG is against-all-odds still beating abrupt decay. Or possibly abrupt decay has not taken enough of a hold for people to netdeck a winning list. At the SCG I was at recently the BUG control list in Top 4 would have beaten RUG under normal conditions, but Elliott, the RUG player, has the luck of the Gods and ripped several times in a row with no filter exactly his outs. Against hand disruption, Show and Tell is strictly worse than a Ponder or Thirst for Knowledge.

When your mana and lands are being pressured while you are being clocked, which is exactly what RUG does, then Show & Tell is stronger.

If the meta moves more towards control and permission then you will see me completely drop Show & Tell for more card advantage. To answer the question though, Show & Tell isn't a "4 of" in the deck. At the moment it is, but that is entirely metagame dependent.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Congrats on the finish Rock Lee!

I have tested your SCG build and (meta considerations aside) it seems to flow better than the latest 4 Repeal builds you proposed in the old thread, very good job indeed.

I only have one question on your SB: given the high amount of needle effects you have post board, are the cursed totems really needed? What were the match-ups that were in your mind that had to be managed by the totem instead of needle effects?

Congrat's Rock Lee on your SCG finish! I did enjoy your carrot pointing throughout the top 8.
    I played a very similar(near identical) list on tuesday at our legacy night.

1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    4 Primeval Titan
    1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    Instants + Sorceries (16)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Repeal
    4 Show and Tell
    Artifacts (12)
    1 Candelabra of Tawnos
    4 Expedition Map
    3 Pithing Needle
    4 Sensei’s Divining Top
    Lands (25)
    4 Tropical Island
    1 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Bojuka Bog
    4 Cloudpost
    1 Eye of Ugin
    1 Glacial Chasm
    4 Glimmerpost
    1 Karakas
    4 Vesuva
    1 Island

Sideboard (15)
    1 Angel of Despair
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Flusterstorm
    1 Oblivion Ring
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant

Ran the same maindeck as your scg list, slightly changed sb.
    Low turnout tournament, 11 people, got 1st. I did not have another venser so I played an angel of despair, and then I did not have another angel, so I played an oblivion ring lol.

Anyways, first round on camera: http://www.twitch.tv/southfloridamagic/b/335824038

Rd2 vs Ur delver:
    G1: He stifle's some of my glimmerpost triggers but doesn't have any pressure, I play a titan to take over the game, he price's me for half my life eot, and I expect to die on his turn, but he doesn't have the other price or a snapcaster, on to g2.
    G2: He lands an early delver and then another, but they don't flip right away, then a sulfuric vortex. I'm holding two repeals so on the end of his turn 4 I repeal, he counters. I SNT in titan, he puts a creature in, I bounce his vortex in response to trigger and get chasm+glimmerpost. He passes, I attack and trade my titan with his two delvers and get an eldrazi soon enough.

Rd3 vs TES:
    G1: he ad nauseams early and hits chaff to go to 4 life, can't win that turn, I get a snt for p titan, he puts in land, I get double glimmer I believe. He goes for it next turn and fizzles( New player to storm combo) after he concede's the game I show him how he could have gone off.
    G2: He mulls to five and I land an early chalice, then drop in titan.

Rd4 vs Death and Taxes(same as finals)
    He's paired up, so I concede to not dream crush, he wants to play anyways. I win 2-0 off of early SNT'S into titans, through Thalia one game and Thalia + Judge's familiar the other. Pithing needles were involved.

Semi's vs Omnitell
    http://www.twitch.tv/southfloridamagic/b/335834575 at about 2 hours, 7 minutes.

Finals vs Death and Taxes
    http://www.twitch.tv/southfloridamagic/b/335834575 at about 2 hours 40 minutes.
    Edit: I probably should have mulliganed the first game of finals, I had to bank on alot of things happening my way to win. I also accidently cheated by playing SNT through Thalia, trying to get it past my opponent's Judge's familiars (which he let me) which made me temporarily forget about Thalia.

Enjoy, and congratulations on your finish again.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Looking at your current list I wonder why you went down to 1 Emrakul. I've always liked the crutch of 2 Emrakuls when going infinite.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    Looking at your current list I wonder why you went down to 1 Emrakul. I've always liked the crutch of 2 Emrakuls when going infinite.
    Ultimately it was exactly that. Often I don't have to go Infinite, but Karakas still enables it. It does mean sometimes when I want to go infinite I have to "get there" with Kozilek drawing me 4 bonus cards with one of them being a land tutor. And sometimes I have to get there with Tabernacle + 1 Emrakul for infinite. I squeezed more deck space for density whereas an Emrakul is almost always dead in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Raystar View Post
    I only have one question on your SB: given the high amount of needle effects you have post board, are the cursed totems really needed? What were the match-ups that were in your mind that had to be managed by the totem instead of needle effects?
    Yeah the Revoker was a late-addition. My more recent sideboard if you look on the 1st page has the cursed totems dropped for Elephant Grass

Thread Information