Page 337 of 338 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338 LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,740 of 6756

Thread: [Deck] 12 Post

Jun 2015
    North Carolina, US

Re: [Deck] 12 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuza84 View Post

3. Have had 2 Reclamation Sages (vs. SnS with Omni as an MD out) but not sure is it good choice. I have copy it from a guy playing this in RG Lands but maybe in that shell it's better.
    Personally I would prefer maindeck Krosan Grip for this purpose since it is better against Sneak Attack and counterspells. With 4 Wails and 3-4 Needles, however, you're already better equipped to beat Sneak & Show than Lands so you can probably cut them entirely. If maindeck Back to Basics is prevalent in your meta and you don't have Candelabras, some maindeck Sages or Grips would be a good idea though.

4. Wondering are Candelabras necessary here mostly because of the price (real $$$)
    I played Explores in place of Candelabras before finishing my set. Explore has some advantages and kind of provides acceleration like Candelabra, but obviously pushes you toward playing more green sources. The biggest loss is the synergy with Maze of Ith. Candelabra acting as both ramp card and "removal" spell is huge. Some people have been fine playing 3, I almost always play 4, and if you play 2 or fewer you will definitely notice the deck being slower and Maze being worse.

Still have a question about Tabernacle and Glacial Chasm. Are they necessary? Tabernacle w/o Wasteland is not so strong as in Loam or Lands shell and Chasm with his Cumulative Upkeep and sac effect on entering is not appealing to me as well.
    We use Tabernacle for a different purpose than Loam decks. Since we don't have land destruction (apart from Ulamog), Tabernacle usually won't result in creatures dying. Instead you play it to delay or prevent creatures from entering the battlefield entirely. This is less dramatic but still useful, especially with Mazes. Maybe not worth buying a Tabernacle for, but if you have one it's worth a slot.

I've occasionally played without Chasm and usually don't miss it. It comes up against Mentor and TNN+equipment enough that I prefer to have one. If you need to cut cards for additional green sources it would be OK to start with Chasm and Tabernacle.

You might be starting to notice that many of the card choices interact with each other, so that if you shave copies on one the others become worse. Maze is better with Candelabra and Tabernacle, Tabernacle is better with Maze, Chasm is better with Candelabra (because you need fewer lands to cast big cards, so sacrificing one is not so bad). I'd recommend building the deck online where the cards are cheap or free and playing the fully-powered version online for a while, then if you like it build toward it over time while making reasonable substitutions for the missing cards.

PS. Can somebody link any solid list/s of U/G Titan Post? Maybe will try that one.
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19982&d=329614&f=LE

Technically this is a BUG list splashing for Abrupt Decay, but you can look around on mtgtop8 for other versions. This player (Tony Murata) occasionally posts here.
    a.k.a. Eddy Viscosity

Mar 2018
    Lodz, Poland

Many thanks, still looking for proper Post version to match my playing style :) Have been testing eldrazi post (colorless up now).

Green seems to be more versatile and having better anwsers for hate pernaments.

Still question about Titan Post. I see several lists include Trickbind in their 75. What is the reason to do that?

Many thanks, still looking for proper Post version to match my playing style :) Have been testing eldrazi post (colorless up now).

Green seems to be more versatile and having better anwsers for hate pernaments.

Still question about Titan Post. I see several lists include Trickbind in their 75. What is the reason to do that?
    Trickbind answers two of our most problematic cards, wasteland and tendrils of agony, and cannot be countered(mostly). Its also useful in lots of other spots.

Jun 2015
    North Carolina, US

16th at the SCG Classic: http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/132102

Some interesting numbers in the maindeck and card choices in the sideboard. Can we get a tournament report?
    a.k.a. Eddy Viscosity

Not sure, exactly, where I'm supposed to post for anything regarding Eldrazi Post. Was going to post here, but don't want to step on anyone's toes. Couldn't find a thread dedicated to that version of Post specifically. Thanks in advance for the response!

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Griselbrandon View Post
    Not sure, exactly, where I'm supposed to post for anything regarding Eldrazi Post. Was going to post here, but don't want to step on anyone's toes. Couldn't find a thread dedicated to that version of Post specifically. Thanks in advance for the response!
    Hi, Griselbrandon. That thread is here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...zi-Ramp/page16

Jun 2012
    uk

Does Wrenn and Six have an impact in Legacy and if so, will it affect this deck with the ability to recur wastelands?

I know Pithing Needle already answers this but with the low RG cost of Wrenn and Six, could it be a problem?
    Currently making / Playing:

Sneak and Show
    Shortcake Painter
    Pox

Quote Originally Posted by amjw View Post
    Does Wrenn and Six have an impact in Legacy and if so, will it affect this deck with the ability to recur wastelands?

I know Pithing Needle already answers this but with the low RG cost of Wrenn and Six, could it be a problem?
    Heh, I haven't played a match against a non-Wrenn deck in weeks. I played against Wrenn miracles yesterday, so you can imagine the length ppl go to jam those wrenns in every imaginable shell...Admittedly, I mostly play on xMage where ppl test all sorts of sh** (including myself)

Anyways, I don't find wrenn all that bad. I'm recently running a pithingless "UG strix" (fang) build and had good results against wrenn. Bojuka remains our go-to premium card for GY recursion.

Here's the list, which initially started as a natural order build, then went to a nissa mana dork build, and ended up running magus of the crop. While magus of the crop rotation has its downsides, I love jamming it with Nissa. It does turn on removal, but it is an uncounterable crop rotation once it becomes live. I've played a match against dreadhord guy. While he was durdling around with his bolts killing (2x bolt per magus) against my consecutive maguses, I managed to overwhelm him. And besides a 3/4 for G is very solid.

1 Glacial Chasm
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Show and Tell
    3 Tropical Island
    4 Cloudpost
    1 Karakas
    1 Vesuva
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Eye of Ugin
    4 Primeval Titan
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
    4 Glimmerpost
    3 Crop Rotation
    3 Ice-Fang Coatl
    2 Snow-Covered Forest
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    2 Nissa, Steward of Elements
    4 Mirri's Guile
    1 Golos, Tireless Pilgrim
    4 Elvish Reclaimer
    1 Windswept Heath
    2 Ponder
    1 Cavern of Souls

3 Flusterstorm
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Cyclonic Rift
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Veil of Summer
    1 Lazotep Plating
    1 Force of Vigor
    1 Shifting Ceratops

natural order:

1 Glacial Chasm
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Show and Tell
    3 Tropical Island
    4 Cloudpost
    1 Karakas
    1 Vesuva
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Birds of Paradise
    1 Eye of Ugin
    4 Primeval Titan
    2 Sylvan Library
    2 Noble Hierarch
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Ice-Fang Coatl
    3 Snow-Covered Forest
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    3 Natural Order
    1 Ancient Tomb
    1 Progenitus
    2 Ponder

Jun 2015
    North Carolina, US

I played in the main event at GP Atlanta with this Cg Karn/Golos list:

4 Cloudpost, 4 Glimmerpost, 3 Thespian's Stage, 2 Vesuva
    7 Forest
    2 Maze of Ith
    1 Karakas, Eye of Ugin, Bojuka Bog, Glacial Chasm, Tabernacle, Blast Zone

1 Emrakul, the Promised End
    2 Golos, Tireless Pilgrim
    2 Karn, the Great Creator
    2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    1 All is Dust

4 Crop Rotation, Ancient Stirrings, Expedition Map
    3 Pithing Needle, Candelabra
    2 Warping Wail
    1 Surgical Extraction, Sylvan Library

Sideboard:
    4 Krosan Grip
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Walking Ballista, Tormod's Crypt, Pithing Needle, Golos, Candelabra, Ensnaring Bridge, Mycosynth Lattice

In the weeks leading up to the event, I started running into a lot of Reanimator and Knight/Loam decks on MTGO and saw a spike in people asking about it on the Legacy subreddit, and since it is cheap and well-positioned against the grindy Wrenn & Six decks I expected to see a lot of it. Planning to play for 15 rounds against a wide range of decks, I wanted to favor consistency and having a wide range of options. I decided this meant playing both Karn and Golos, but I found myself mulliganing a lot when devoting 6 or more slots to those cards, so I trimmed on one of each to make room for Sylvan Library (consistency) and an All is Dust (wipe the board of any weird decks I run into).

I discovered, somewhat by accident, that Surgical Extraction can be strong against decks that plan to beat you by assembling a wall of counterspells. They Force of Will an early Map or Crop Rotation, you Surgical the Force and it becomes vastly easier to resolve key spells 4 turns later. Obviously extracting Wasteland shuts off the worst part of Wrenn & Six and frees up your Needles to name other cards, and moving a Surgical to the maindeck increases the impact of that "sideboard" slot against the Reanimator and Loam decks I expected. I also didn't want to cut any of the Grips or artifacts from the sideboard or go lower on the number of graveyard hate cards, so something had to move to the maindeck. Surgical also has some fringe synergy with Karn, and whereas extra Needles might not do anything drawing a Surgical after a Needle gives you a possibly useful effect.

Matches (5-2-1 overall):
    2-0 vs. Burn
    2-0 vs. Goblins
    2-0 vs. Merfolk
    2-1 vs. Infect
    1-1-1 vs. D&T
    0-2 vs. 4c Loam
    1-2 vs. 4c Control
    2-0 vs. Bant Neoform

Match Reports:
    Round 1: 2-0 vs. Burn
    Game 1: I usually don't put much stock in guessing the opponent's deck by their style of dress, color of sleeves, and so on but this guy had a red shirt, red sleeves, a red deckbox, red dice, and a red playmat which arouses my suspicion. I decide to assume he's playing Burn since I probably won't beat Red Prison anyway, and keep a 7-card hand of Map, Candelabra, Cloudpost, Vesuva, 2 Forest, Crop Rotation. I lead on Forest -> Map, then he Chain Lightnings me. I draw New Emrakul, play Cloudpost and Candelabra. He double-bolts me on his turn, then I Vesuva the Cloudpost and pass after naturally drawing Glacial Chasm. He draws and passes back, so I crack the map to get Glimmerpost, which I play to gain 3 life going to 14. I Candelabra out the Emrakul, to which he responds by double-bolting me. I see that he has two lands, an Eidolon and a Price of Progress, while I am at 8 with 3 nonbasics. I make him crack a Sunbaked Canyon hoping to find a Bolt to kill the Eidolon (a mistake), but find another land. He takes his own turn, does not find a burn spell, so I attack him down to 5 with Emrakul and play the Chasm. He responds with the Price, but seeing that the damage is prevented he scoops.

-1 Bog, -1 Surgical, -3 Needle
    +3 Grip, +1 Trinisphere, +1 Candelabra
    I want answers to Eidolon and Sulfuric Vortex, and while Trinisphere can be good I want one in the sideboard to fetch with Karns. I bring in the fourth Candelabra to gain speed.

Game 2: I keep 6 with Forest, Crop Rotation, Glimmerpost, Trinisphere, Golos, and Candelabra. He starts with a Goblin Guide, showing a Map. I play the Forest, he plays a Swiftspear and suspends a rift bolt, so I take 3 and show another Map to the Goblin Guide. I rotate the Forest for a Cloudpost, untap, play the Glimmerpost, and slam Trinisphere. My opponent never finds a third land, so when Golos arrives to block he concedes.

Round 2: 2-0 vs. Goblins
    Game 1: I am on the draw and keep a 7 with lands, Crop Rotation, and Golos. My opponent mulligans to 5 and plays Lackey. I decide not to rotate for a Maze since it's somewhat unlikely he has a threating goblin to put in due to the mulligan, so I play Forest -> Candelabra. He puts in a Ringleader off the Lackey, which finds a Matron and another Lackey, but he is stuck on one land so I rotate for Cloudpost on his end step, then copy it with Vesuva. He gets a Cratermaker with the Matron, and on my turn I play Stage, copy Cloudpost with it, then Candelabra -> Golos -> Tabernacle to wipe his board. He has a Vial to put in the Cratermaker, destroying Candelabra, and a Wasteland for the Tabernacle, but I have Karakas to bounce Golos which eventually gets the mana and Eye of Ugin to get Emrakul.

-1 Bog, -1 Surgical, -1 Map
    +2 Grip, +1 Needle
    Though Surgicaling a Wasteland can be very strong, I am on the draw and Goblins can create a lot of damage quickly, so one Wasteland might be game-ending anyway and I don't want to spend the life. I cut one Map since it is somewhat slow and can be picked off by artifact removal, and the two Grips are to hedge against Blood Moon or Damping Sphere.

Game 2: We both keep 7. He has a T1 Lackey, so I play Maze of Ith to entice a Wasteland before I play out Cloudposts. He has a Port instead, however, so Lackey connects to drop in a Matron, which fetches a War Marshal. I figure that means that he has a Piledriver already in hand or possibly a Cratermaker, so I play out a Candelabra to counteract the Ports so that the Maze can lock down the expected Piledriver. He Vials in the War Marshal, then plays Goblin Warchief to attack with 4 2/2 goblins. He Ports the Maze, but I untap it to Maze the Lackey. I play another Candelabra and a Stage, which allows me to Maze 2 creatures, including a Piledriver, the following turn so that I only take 10, going to 2. I am forced to play Chasm at 2 life, then Stage it in my upkeep before playing a Glimmerpost to go to 4. Since I don't have to hold up mana to untap Maze, I can start using it to crack Maps for more Cloudposts, and the Candelabras are enough to hold off his two Ports while I assemble just enough mana to cast Ugin and wipe his board. He does not find a Tarfire or haste creature to deal the final 2 (nor does he find a Wasteland in the entire game), so I get to untap and play Golos -> Glimmerpost to gain 6. I draw Karn, then Karn -> Candelabra, and eventually bounce Golos with Karakas, replay Golos -> get Eye -> untap Cloudposts and Eye -> get Emrakul -> cast Emrakul to win a very tight game.

Round 3: 2-0 vs. Merfolk
    Game 1: I am on the play and we both mulligan to 6. I have Map, Stirrings, Needle, and lands but no Cloudpost. I play Forest -> Map, he plays Island -> Vial. I draw Cloudpost, but opt to play Stage so that I can play Needle (on Wasteland of course) through Daze, then Candelabra which does not get Dazed (or Forced). He plays a couple of lords, but the damage output isn't nearly enough to race me and I Candelabra out Emrakul.

-1 Bog, -1 Surgical, -2 Wail
    +1 Needle, +3 Grip
    The only truly threatening cards from Merfolk are Wasteland, Chalice, and Back to Basics. Grip answers the latter two, and I bring in the 4th Needle since I might not have time to Karn for it.

Game 2: He mulligans to 6, I to 5 keeping All is Dust, Candelabra, Forest, Stage, Sylvan Library. The plan is to let Library find a Cloudpost, then use Candelabra to Dust away his creatures and win from there. He opts not to Force the Library but does counter the Candelabra, which basically won me the game as I'm able to string together Tabernacle, then Maze, then Chasm to keep myself at 1 life against his Mutavault, Vial, Lord, and TNN. I'm light on actual mana-producing lands, but eventually I find Cloudpost and copy it with a Stage-Chasm on his end step to cast the All is Dust, which resolves. The leftover Maze keeps me from dying to the Mutavault, which gets exiled by Ulamog two turns later. He copies Ulamog with Phantasmal Image, which would have been good except that I draw Karn, fetch Candelabra from the sideboard, Eye for Emrakul and cast it for the win.

Round 4: 2-1 vs. Infect
    Game 1: I'm on the play and keep 7, leading with Forest -> Map. I Warping Wail the first Glistener Elf, but the second Wail on the second Elf gets Dazed. I take a few hits, then play Chasm with Stage in play. We play draw-land-go for a while, then he cantrips into a Wasteland on Chasm. I copy it with Stage, so the Wasteland ended up being good for me because I paid less life overall. He can't break through at this point, so he scoops when I cast New Emrakul.

-1 Surgical, -1 Bog, -1 Map
    +1 Needle, +1 Ballista, +1 Grip
    I wanted to have at least one answer to a possible Pithing Needle from the opponent, so I cut a Map for a Grip. Since Karn can now get the Map, this is not that much of a loss. Also, Map is slow and I'm on the draw in a fast matchup. Krosan Grip can also take out Inkmoth Nexus, so I don't mind having a copy.

Game 2: I don't find Needle in time to protect the defensive Chasm from his Wasteland, and it turns out he is playing Wrenn & Six to loop the Wasteland. I have 2 basics, so I decide to wait for a possible Needle off the top, but he finds a lethal Invigorate first.

Game 3: He can't counter my T1 Needle, and a Maze stops him from casting pump spells, so I end up taking some inconsequential hits before playing Map -> Chasm. I turtle for a while, building up the mana to rotate for Eye -> Emrakul, attack, then Eye -> Ballista to deal the final 1 damage.

Round 5: 1-1-1 vs. D&T
    Game 1: Several of my opponents have had to read my cards so far and this person is no exception. I play out a T1 Needle on Wasteland, then get beat down to 9 by Thalia, Mom, and some other creature. Ulamog, however, cleans up the threats and brings me to 19 after being Swordsed while my opponent only has 3 power on the board. I play Golos -> Eye, he recruits Palace Jailer to remove the Golos, but I get it back after becoming the monarch off an Emrakul hit. He sacrificed all his lands to the annihilator trigger, so when the jailed Golos returns I get Tabernacle to finish the job.

-1 Bog, -1 Surgical, -1 Map
    +1 Ballista, +1 Candelabra, +1 Grip
    The Karn builds have a much more difficult time against D&T than the Karnless versions, which get to play the full 4x Wails. Karn isn't particularly good against the aspects of D&T that are actually threatening to us and it can be difficult to cast through disruption, so I prefer to bring in the most impactful artifacts and then a Grip for possible Damping Spheres, or just taking out a Vial, Revoker, or equipment.

Game 2: I have Needle, Ballista, and Ulamog with mana to cast them, but leaning on Candelabra to untap Cloudposts. This plan runs into a Vialed Tomik, which slows down my threats by a turn. Ulamog exiles his threats, gains me 10 life via StP, then I put Ballista on 5 to clean up the remainder. He has a Cataclysm, however, and I keep Ballista (which goes to 2 to kill a Stoneforge), Needle, and Cloudpost. I have a Tabernacle and a Chasm in hand, so I need to topdeck mana to rebuild, then some threats. He manages to recruit a Palace Jailer to remove Ballista, which clears up his board but leaves him being the monarch. Monarchy gives him about 10 cards over the rest of the game, and although I eventually draw mana to Emrakul-Tabernacle away his two creatures, he has a Karakas and his cards in hand don't allow me to disrupt him. He has 2 Wastelands, which take out my mana after a Flickerwisp shows up, and I'm left topdecking to find mana for the Ugin in hand while using Candelabras to counter ports and turtling behind Chasm. I eventually get the mana, but he has a second Cataclysm so I scoop in order to win game 3 in the remaining ~7 minutes.

Game 3: I keep 7 with T1 Needle, Cloudpost, Vesuva, Ugin, and Old Emrakul. He leads with a Vial, which puts in a Tomik in response to my Candelabra activation that would have powered out the Ugin. A follow-up Port keeps me off of Ugin mana while I draw more Eldrazi instead of lands. I put a second Needle on Port, but he has a Flickerwisp and Wasteland to kill one of my Cloudposts making the net result almost the same. Time is called on his end step while I am rotating a Forest into the third Cloudpost needed to squeak out the Ugin through Thalia, so I wipe his board on extra turn 1. He bounces Tomik with his Karakas, but opts to Council's Judgment the Ugin rather than redeploy Tomik (the Vial is on 3 now). This lets me Candelabra out Emrakul, the Aeons Torn on extra turn 3, put him to 5 on turn 4, but I don't have the mana to Karn -> Map -> Karakas -> bounce and recast Emrakul so the match ends in a draw.

Round 6: 0-2 vs. 4c Loam
    Game 1: He has T1 Confidant, I play Forest -> T1 Needle on Wasteland. I have the option to play Glimmerpost and Wail the Bob on my T2, but after drawing Karn I decide to Rotate the Forest for Cloudpost and Vesuva it in order to play Karn -> Bridge off a Glimmerpost next turn. Basically I see Karn as the way to win this game and I want to get it out of my hand before it gets discarded to Thoughtseize or Liliana. He plays a Liliana, we discard some irrelevant pieces, and I Karn for Bridge. Unfortunately he finds Abrupt Decays for the Bridge and the Needle, and I scoop to a large Knight of the Reliquary.

+1 Surgical, +1 Needle, +1 Grip
    -1 Candelabra, -2 Wail
    The plan is to lean on Karn and Golos to get me through the midgame after neutralizing Wasteland on the early turns, either by Needle or Surgical. The Grip is for Chalice or possibly a Sylvan Library. I reluctantly took out the Wails because I didn't see anything else that was worse (in retrospect, boarding out Maps and/or another Candelabra might have been better).

Game 2: I mulligan to 5 and keep a hand with a Golos that can be cast off the lands I already have. Unfortunately, the mulligan means that Liliana eats first the payoff (Ugin), then the backup Needle because I have no better options to discard. Golos resolves, fetches a second Cloudpost to bring me to 9 mana, but he has a Decay for the first Needle and then a Wasteland to put me back to 6 mana. I scoop to Wrenn & Six in order to eat.

Round 7: 1-2 vs. 4c Control (the snow build with Wrenn & Six)
    Game 1: I keep 2x Cloudpost, Vesuva, Karn, Golos, New Emrakul, and Tabernacle. He is on the play and Thoughtseizes the Karn. I eventually deploy the mana, Golos gets Forced, Emrakul gets Snapcaster-Thoughtseized, and a Cloudpost gets Wastelanded. Jace fateseals a card to the bottom, but I draw Map -> Eye -> Ulamog which he can't stop.

-1 Tab, -1 Chasm
    +1 Surgical, +1 Needle
    If I don't get Wrenn-Wastelanded out of the game there is very little his deck can do to beat me in the long term, so the plan is to bring in all the Wasteland countermeasures and possibly Surgical some counterspells.

Game 2: I keep a slow hand with Surgical as the answer to Wasteland and play (too) conservatively, playing out artifacts with mana for Spell Pierce. He Forces a Map, which makes me think that he does not have W6 or Wasteland, so I Surgical the Force of Will, getting another copy out of his hand and confirming my prediction. Having not found a Cloudpost, however, I am too slow to develop while he Jace/Dacks into W6 + Wasteland. Surgical shows me a bunch of artifact removal and Thoughtseizes, but no Surgicals and no edict effects.

Game 3: I keep a speculative 7 that leans on the one Forest and the one Ancient Stirrings to find more lands, but has Needle, Old Emrakul, Map, and a Warping Wail to stop discard. He Forces my T1 Needle, then on turn 2 the Stirrings finds no land whatsoever so I take another Needle. My opponent doesn't do much of note, not even discard, so I suspect he kept a hand on the power of W6 and/or Wasteland. He shows both cards after I bait him with a Thespian's Stage, which I used to cast the second Needle which got Decayed on my end step. The only lands I draw for the rest of the game are Forests, so I scoop to W6 emblem.

Losing this match was my fault more than the deck's. I should have mulliganed for hands that have natural Cloudposts so that I don't have to cast spells to get the Cloudpost engine online, but I overvalued having answers to Wasteland.

Round 8: 2-0 vs. Bant Neoform
    This deck had no Force of Wills, no Wastelands, and apparently no land hate of any kind. From what I could tell, the idea was to exploit Spell Queller with the 3-mana Teferi in order to eat all the opponent's spells (when Spell Queller leaves, Teferi stops the spell from being cast). I wouldn't be surprised to see a refined deck along these lines put up results in the near future.
    Game 1: I mulligan to 5, but Crop Rotation for Cloudpost resolves and I draw more Cloudposts and Vesuvas to get all the necessary mana. Golos finds Eye, which attempts to find Emrakul but is stopped by Aven Mindcensor. I use a Candelabra to search twice with the Eye on his end step, and the first activation finds Ulamog. Ulamog removes the Mindcensor then gets Swordsed, but then Eye finds Emrakul which ends the game.

-1 Bog, -1 Surgical
    +2 Grip
    Game 2: I mulligan to 5 again and set up the mana while being attacked by an exalted Renegade Rallier, but Ulamog cleans up the threats and gains 10 life thanks to StP. Neither of us has much action, but I topdeck a bunch of non-Eye lands so all my copious mana counts for little. I eventually have to play Chasm to avoid dying to a horde of Ice-Fang Coatls, True-Name Nemeses, and other assorted creatures, and he sets up the Teferi-Queller combo so that I have to wait to draw multiple cheap setup spells in order to resolve any. After about 6 turns of no real action, I overload the Quellers to resolve Karn. Karn gets Golos, which gets Eye, which Candelabra untaps, and then I find Emrakul with Karakas already in play.

Observations:
    1. I boarded out the Surgical and the Bog in almost every round. This is more due to the matchups I faced than anything else, but it means that I don't have any real information about how good the maindeck Surgical would have been in non-graveyard matchups since I never drew it.
    2. I didn't miss the third Karn, though I also didn't play against any artifact-heavy decks. When Karn did show up, it pretty much won the game instantly. I think this is a consequence of only having 2 copies - they tend to only show up later in the game when I have the mana to immediately make full use of them. Whereas, with more copies they clutter the opening hands and you don't always have the mana for the fetched artifact to be impactful.
    3. Golos was great every time I cast it. I wouldn't mind playing my usual 3 copies, but I think it is important to have as many opening hands as possible with a strong plan for the early turns, which Golos does not do.
    4. I never actually used the Blast Zone. While I like having access to toolbox lands in the maindeck, if I had to cut a card from the current list it would be Surgical or Blast Zone.
    5. The Karn board is fine, but probably could be trimmed. I fetched Golos twice, Candelabra twice, Bridge once, and the other artifacts never.
    6. Glacial Chasm was involved in all but one match win (the exception being against D&T, where it would have won G2 if not for the second Cataclysm). Golos makes Chasm much better since it lets you accumulate resources more quickly while turtling, so you don't have to pay as much life.
    7. 3 maindeck Eldrazi were still enough. I did not miss Kozilek, though it would have been nice not to have to trust the top of the deck so much.
    8. The London mulligan seems to completely remove any need for an 8th green source.

Changes:
    Currently there are no changes which I am confident in making. I plan to keep the maindeck Surgical for a while and see how it performs. If it performs poorly I would replace it with a fourth Needle, and possibly put a Spyglass in the sideboard depending on how many slots I want to dedicate to graveyard hate. Additional Wails and/or Spatial Contortions would shore up the D&T matchup (in particular, removing Tomik), but that matchup is less important now that W6 is pressuring small-creature decks. Spatial Contortion would also be good against Delver though.

Thanks for reading. I'll be happy to answer any questions.
    a.k.a. Eddy Viscosity

Once upon a Time seems like it could be quite strong in this deck.

Elvish Reclaimer also seems like a solid replacement for Expedition Map.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Once upon a Time seems like it could be quite strong in this deck.

Elvish Reclaimer also seems like a solid replacement for Expedition Map.
    I think Once upon a Time is only promising in MonoGreen Post. A list playing 4 Elvish Reclaimer, 4 Once Upon a Time, 4 Ancient Stirrings plus a certain number of GSZ and a creature toolbox seems solid there.

Quote Originally Posted by k_omega
    Thanks for reading. I'll be happy to answer any questions.
    Thanks for the writeup, very useful, and congrats on the good score. I have a more general question: what variant of Post between UG Post, MonoG and Cg you believe is best positioned in the current meta? What differences among them you find in terms of matchups? I've been toying with Cg but I find matchups to be very one-sided, and I wondered if it's the same with others.

Jun 2015
    North Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by Shevek View Post
    Thanks for the writeup, very useful, and congrats on the good score. I have a more general question: what variant of Post between UG Post, MonoG and Cg you believe is best positioned in the current meta? What differences among them you find in terms of matchups? I've been toying with Cg but I find matchups to be very one-sided, and I wondered if it's the same with others.
    Regarding the one-sidedness of Cg matchups, if you look back in this thread at my tournament reports you'll see a lot of 2-0 wins. This is because there are a lot of matchups where the opponent can't really stop our gameplan apart from Wasteland, which we have answers for, or a fast aggro plan, which we also have answers for and might be too slow anyway. The only matchups that I think are fundamentally unsound (i.e., matchups I always expect to lose 0-2) are Storm, Red Prison, and 4c Loam. Every matchup that doesn't fit into either of those categories can be won if you have the right cards in your 75, draw them, and know what you're doing with the deck. I think this breakdown applies to all the variants you mentioned, though some more than others depending on which specific cards you play.

Since the Top ban I have played Cg almost exclusively, dabbling for a while (3 small events) with UG Show and Tell versions. Before the Top ban, I played MonoG or Gw Titan lists almost exclusively, also playing UG Show and Tell occasionally. Broadly speaking, UG is good if and only if Show and Tell is good, G/x is good when you need a midrangey gameplan (assuming you can compensate for the consistency loss due to lack of Top), and Cg is solid pretty much all the time. While I will continue to play Cg, I think a well-designed G/R build could be better suited for the meta. Something like (leaving out specific numbers):

Cloudpost, Glimmerpost, Vesuva, Stage
    Taiga, Grove, Fetches, Forests
    Eye, Karakas, other utility lands, Dryad Arbor

Elvish Reclaimer
    Primeval Titan
    Other green creatures (Oracle of Mul Daya, Reclamation Sage, etc.)

Wrenn & Six
    Punishing Fire
    Kozilek's Return
    Crop Rotation
    Green Sun's Zenith
    Pithing Needle
    Sylvan Library

Ugin
    Big Eldrazi

You would have cheap sweepers, real removal for creatures and planeswalkers (Grove/Punishing Fire), a cheap value engine (Wrenn + Reclaimer), answers to Wasteland, and the usual top end. I would not bother with UG unless you are looking to beat Red Prison specifically., though I defer to people who have more experience with that version.
    a.k.a. Eddy Viscosity

Quote Originally Posted by k_omega View Post
    The only matchups that I think are fundamentally unsound (i.e., matchups I always expect to lose 0-2) are Storm, Red Prison, and 4c Loam.
    That's reassuring. My first outing with Cg Post on paper magic was a traumatic 1-3 drop, in which I lost to Storm, Red Prison...and 4c Loam :D

It's interesting what you say about GR. Here is a starting point. It misses the Fire+Grove package, but simply because I could not see how to make it fit into the manabase.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 5 Artifact
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Candelabra of Tawnos

// 10 Creature
    3 Elvish Reclaimer
    1 Primeval Titan
    1 Emrakul, the Promised End
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Dryad Arbor

// 4 Instant
    4 Crop Rotation

// 27 Land
    1 Forest
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Vesuva
    2 Thespian's Stage
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Karakas
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Ancient Tomb
    1 Eye of Ugin
    2 Taiga
    4 Wooded Foothills
    1 Sheltered Thicket
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

// 8 Planeswalker
    3 Karn, the Great Creator
    3 Wrenn and Six

// 6 Sorcery
    4 Once Upon a Time
    2 Green Sun's Zenith

// 15 Sideboard
    // 6 Artifact
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Mycosynth Lattice
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle

// 2 Creature
    SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 1 Walking Ballista

// 7 Instant
    SB: 3 Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 Kozilek's Return
    SB: 2 Pyroblast

Jun 2015
    North Carolina, US

I played the following Cg list at Eternal Weekend, going 5-4 in the main event (excluding a bye) and 3-0 in a subsequent side event:

Maindeck:
    4 Cloudpost, Glimmerpost
    3 Thespian's Stage
    2 Vesuva
    7 Forest
    2 Maze of Ith
    1 Karakas, Eye, Bog, Tabernacle, Chasm, Dark Depths

1 Emrakul 1.0, Emrakul 2.0, Ulamog 2.0
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    1 Golos

4 Crop Rotation, 4 Stirrings, 4 Map, 4 Needle
    3 Candelabra
    1 Relic of Progenitus

Sideboard:
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Surgical
    1 Spatial Contortion
    1 Warping Wail
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Brittle Effigy
    1 Candelabra
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Golos
    1 Mycosynth Lattice

In the weeks leading up to the event I had been getting mediocre results online with the Cg lists I usually favor (maindeck Wails, All is Dust, 3 Karns), so I decided to try the Elvish Reclaimer build that Aidan Reilly has done well with. I noticed that my wins were coming more from Thought-Knot Seer and Dark Depths than Reclaimer itself, so I grafted those cards onto the Ancient Stirrings base to create the above deck.

The RUG menace motivated two card choices here: the fourth maindeck Needle (usually in the sideboard) and the Relic of Progenitus. I was losing many games to Tarmogoyf and to Wrenn-Wasteland that could not be broken up by Bojuka Bog because they would use Wasteland and return it all on their turn. Bog would only work then if you have Crop Rotation, which means you have to have a spare Crop Rotation and mana to cast it, and it has to resolve. Relic can come down on turn 1, interfere with Wrenn's +1, control Tarmogoyfs, make Hooting Mandrills uncastable, and invalidate the Wrenn emblem. It even has the occasional synergy with Karn. I have been very impressed with this card in this matchup.

Matches (5-4 main event, 8-4 overall):
    Round 2: 2-0 vs. Sneak & Show
    Round 3: 1-2 vs. RUG Delver
    Round 4: 0-2 vs. Pox
    Round 5: 1-2 vs. BR Reanimator
    Round 6: 1-2 vs. Lands
    Round 7: 2-0 vs. UW Control
    Round 8: 2-1 vs. Sneak & Show
    Round 9: 2-0 vs. Esper Mentor
    Round 10: 2-0 vs. Lands
    --- Side Event ---
    Round 1: 2-0 vs. Enchantress
    Round 2: 2-1 vs. Aluren
    Round 3: 2-1 vs. Burn

Match Reports:
    Round 2: 2-0 vs. Sneak & Show
    Game 1: I keep 7 on the draw and the opponent leads with Ponder off a Volcanic Island. Having too little information to decide what he's playing, I lead with Forest -> Candelabra and play out some Cloudposts with Crop Rotation for Wasteland protection. After the opponent cantrips for three turns without playing anything I suspect he's playing Sneak & Show and might just be gun-shy about casting Show and Tell against a Cloudpost deck. I play a TKS which takes a S&T leaving him with lands and fatties. The next turn I play a Map, then crack it on his end step to get the Dark Depths to pair with a previous Stage to win with Marit Lage.

-1 Tabernacle, -1 Chasm, -1 Bog, -2 Ugin, -1 Emrakul 2.0, -1 Relic
    +3 Krosan Grip, +2 Trinisphere, +1 Wail, +1 Surgical
    The idea is to have answers for Blood Moon and Omniscience, with Wail as some extra action against Show and Tell. Surgical is for extracting Show and Tell or to look at their hand before deciding what to put in.

Game 2: He cantrips on turn 1, I jam a Needle which resolves so I name Sneak Attack. He has Ancient Tomb -> Arcane Artisan, so he Forces my second Needle to prevent it from shutting off Artisan. However, this means that he has no answer for my Crop Rotation -> Karakas in response to Artisan activation so I am able to keep the Griselbrand tokens under control. I Grip a Sneak Attack while Maze and Karakas + Candelabra prevent him from ever creating enough tokens to actually win. Ancient Tomb brings him down to 4 life against a TKS, and eventually Ulamog seals the game

Round 3: 1-2 vs. RUG(B) Delver
    Game 1: I know what he's playing and mulligan to Karakas, Needle, Relic, Crop Rotation, Maze. Relic and Needle on Wasteland resolve, but the Needle gets Decayed before I can build up the land base. Relic keeps a Tarmogoyf small but I eventually lose to Delvers once the Maze got destroyed.

-2 TKS
    +1 Spatial Contortion, +1 Surgical
    TKS can be underwhelming if Tarmogoyf gets large, and since I haven't shown Dark Depths yet I want to keep it in as a surprise win condition. If I had played Depths in game 1 I would have boarded -1 Depths, -1 TKS.

Game 2: My T1 Needle gets Dazed but he has no second land, therefore no Wasteland, so I get to deploy Cloudposts mostly unmolested. Ulamog exiles his two Delvers and eats a Force of Will, basically resetting the game. He eventually draws Wrenn + Wasteland but a timely Bog means only one of my lands is destroyed. Eventually I draw Karn -> Candelabra -> Eye -> Emrakul 1.0 for the win.

Game 3: I mulligan to 5 but have a T1 Relic and eventually get 2 Maze of Ith to hold off his Delver and small Tarmogoyf. We pass back and forth without any real changes; he draws no threats while I draw few lands. I opted to Vesuva a Forest on T3, leaving me with only the one Cloudpost I eventually drew and no other loci, so I'm treading water on 5 mana for several turns. True-Name Nemesis breaks the stalemate and I have 3 turns to find an answer before TNN + Wrenn becomes lethal. I draw Karn to animate a Candelabra into an attacker to kill the Wrenn, but he has a second Wrenn for lethal.

Round 4: 0-2 vs. Pox
    Game 1: He has 3 Hymns which all hit good cards. I topdeck my way into Stage + Depths but have only one Cloudpost as my other lands, so I'm waiting to topdeck another mana source. Unfortunately my opponent has plenty of mana to find Wasteland with Mastermind's Acquisition to go with his Crucible, so I scoop.

-1 Chasm, -1 Tabernacle, -1 Candelabra, -2 TKS
    +1 Golos, +1 Grip, +1 Wail, +2 Surgical

Game 2: I keep a hand with Cloudposts and 2 Needles, putting the first on Wasteland and the second on the Liliana (otV) that he Rituals out on his turn. In order to get cards out of my hand before more discard arrives, I play 2 Maps off my Cloudpost + Glimmerpost instead of playing 1 with mana for an activation. My opponent has his own Needle to shut off the Maps, putting me in topdeck mode. Eventually we get to a long stretch of draw-go, but before I'm able to Eye -> Ulamog he draws a Blast Zone to kill all my Needles, multiple Smallpoxes, and an Ashiok 2.0 to shut off the Eye. Once the Blast Zone kills the Needles I have no way to recover from the 2 Wastelands that take out my Cloudposts.

Round 5: 1-2 vs. BR Reanimator
    Game 1: I glimpsed an Exhume before the game so I look for a hand that can beat Reanimator. I am on the draw and keep a hand with Karakas, Needle, Relic. My opponent has a Chancellor and loots a Griselbrand into the graveyard on T1, so I play Karakas and pass. He reanimates Griselbrand and Chancellor, and I concede in response to an Unmask to conceal information.

-1 Tabernacle, -1 Emrakul 2.0, -4 TKS
    +2 Surgical, +1 Crypt, +1 Effigy, +1 Trinisphere, +1 Wail
    Tabernacle becomes an outlet for them to repeatedly Ashen Rider me and since they only need 1 creature to win it is almost never a real obstacle for them. All my creatures that can be discarded and reanimated go out, except Ulamog because it can remove their creatures. Ugin stays in to kill possible Magus of the Moon, and Effigy comes in for the same reason. Trinisphere is to have a chance against Tidespout Tyrant.

Game 2: I keep a hand with Forest -> Crop Rotation, Relic, and Cloudposts so I keep. He goes for a reanimation and Rotate -> Bog blows him out, then Relic comes down and eventually the Crypt. He draws and passes for a few turns while I draw mana, but eventually I draw Map -> Eye -> Emrakul to win.

Game 3: I mulligan to a 6-card hand with 2 Map, Trinisphere, Karakas, lands, and Surgical. He Thoughtseizes the Surgical and is able to put a Griselbrand, Rotting Regisaur, and Archon of Valor's Reach into play so I lose.

Round 6: 1-2 vs. Lands
    Game 1: He has an Abrupt Decay for my Needle on Wasteland, so I concede to Wrenn + Wasteland.

-2 TKS, -1 Depths, -1 Emrakul 2.0, -1 Tabernacle
    +2 Surgical, +1 Grip, +1 Golos, +1 Candelabra
    Grip is to kill Sylvan Library or any Needle or Crucible they might bring in. I saw Rishadan Port so the fourth Candelabra comes in.

Game 2: I lead with a Needle that eventually gets killed, but he does not find a Wasteland having instead 2x Exploration and lots of lands. He eventually gets Stage + Depths, but in order to Port my Karakas before making the token he can't Port me in my upkeep, so I get to my main phase with 5 mana for Golos -> Glimmerpost which keeps me out of lethal damage range. Field of the Dead arrives and complicates matters, but a TKS (taking one of two Abrupt Decays) and Golos provide enough defense that eventually I can Eye -> Ulamog to remove the troublesome lands and win from there.

Game 3: I keep a slow 5-card hand with Needle and 2 Forests, and put the Needle on Stage since he appears to have a fast combo hand. In addition to a fast combo, he also has Force of Vigor to kill the Needle and my Map so I lose to Marit Lage.

Round 7: 2-0 vs. UW Control
    Game 1: I see Prismatic Vista -> Island -> Preordain so I assume he has no Wastelands and play Cloudposts and Stages accordingly. Some inconsequential cards get countered or Swordsed, but Map resolves and finds Eye -> Emrakul for the win

-2 Needle. -1 Dark Depths, -1 Crop Rotation
    +3 Grip, +1 Surgical
    Surgical is for messing with Snapcaster Mage and clearing the way for key spells by extracting Force of Will.

Game 2: I have a slower hand whereas he has a T3 Mentor which almost kills me, but he did not find a Force of Will to counter the Ugin which sweeps away all the monks and earns a concession.

Round 8: 2-1 vs Sneak & Show
    Game 1: He has Island into T2 Ancient Tomb -> S&T -> Omniscience -> Griselbrand, which draws into Emrakul.

-1 Bog, -1 Relic, -1 Chasm, -1 Emrakul 2.0, -1 Needle, -1 Maze, -1 Tabernacle, -1 Candelabra
    +3 Grip, +2 Trinisphere, +2 Surgical, +1 Wail
    At this point I'm thinking he's playing Omnitell, so I board differently than I would against regular
    Sneak & Show since I expect no Sneak Attacks.

Game 2: I lead with Stage->Map while he cantrips with a Volcanic. He cantrips for a while but finds no answer for the natural Stage + Depths.

-1 Surgical, +1 Needle
    At this point I'm guessing he's playing regular Sneak and Show as opposed to Omnitell with Burning Wish.

Game 3: I Needle Sneak Attack and play TKS to take a Blood Moon while he is stuck on two lands. TKS eventually attacks for enough damage to earn a concession.

Round 9: 2-0 vs. Esper Mentor
    Game 1: I get off to a slow start, made slower by a Thoughtseize taking an Ancient Stirrings. He cantrips a bunch, then Intuitions for three Accumulated Knowledge. I respond to the first AK by Rotating for Eye, which miraculously resolves. At this point my lands are Eye, Tabernacle, Forest, 2 Cloudpost so I am waiting to draw mana to start tutoring for Eldrazi. I draw a Vesuva before taking too much damage from monks, so I am able to Eye -> Emrakul 2.0 for the board wipe with Tabernacle. The actual Emrakul gets Forced, of course, so I have him cast and Swords all his threats from hand and we play on. I play Karn and fetch Lattice against an empty board, but don't have the mana to cast it on the same turn. He plays a couple of cantrips, so to bait out countermagic I fetch Candelabra with Karn and play it. It resolves, so I cast Lattice for the win.

-2 Needle, -1 Dark Depths
    +3 Grip
    He played a lot of nonbasic lands suggesting that he might not be playing Back to Basics, so I left the fourth Candelabra in the sideboard.

Game 2: I keep a hand with Cloudpost, Vesuva, and Candelabra. He counters some irrelevant setup cards but chooses not to counter a Crop Rotation to fetch Eye. Apparently his plan was to let me search and then drop Back to Basics after I tap out, and anticipating that I fetch TKS which does get the Force of Will. That paves the way for Candelabra to resolve, negating the Back to Basics. Eye -> Ulamog eats B2B and a Mentor, then Emrakul wins the game.

Round 10: 2-0 vs. Lands
    Game 1: He has a land-heavy draw with a Sylvan Library, which finds enough mana denial to prevent me from reaching enormous quantities of mana, but I have a Bog and a Relic to prevent Wasteland recursion so it's all one-shot effects. I draw enough lands for Karn which puts him on the defensive, since now he has to keep me from getting the sixth mana or immediately lose. I get close a couple of timely Ghost Quarters, but I eventually draw a Stage to get Lattice mana. I got to exile Relic and recur it with Karn at one point.

-1 Depths, -1 TKS, -1 Emrakul 2.0, -1 Tabernacle
    +2 Surgical, +1 Grip, +1 Golos
    Since he appeared to be playing 4 Ghost Quarters, I figure he has few if any Rishadan Ports so the fourth Candelabra stays in the sideboard.

Game 2: I keep a really dicey hand of Cloudpost, Stage, Glimmerpost, Bog, TKS, Map, Surgical. Fortunately, in this game he is light on mana sources. He Gambles and then Wastelands the Stage, so I Surgical the Wasteland and see Loam and Ghost Quarter in his hand. His only other mana source is a Grove in play, so I play the Cloudpost to entice him to strand the Loam in hand so I can exile it with TKS that I will be able to cast. He obliges, and fails to draw a mana-producing land before I cast TKS and start attacking. Unfortunately he draws a Surgical instead to extract my Cloudposts, so the plan becomes TKS beatdown. He eventually Rotates the Grove into a Maze to stay alive, then Rotates for another Maze to stop a second TKS. I eventually wind up with 7 mana-producing lands and an Eye, so I search for Ulamog and wait for an 8th mana to exile the two mazes and attack for lethal. I draw a Forest on the next turn and win the game.

Side Event Round 1: 2-0 vs. Enchantress
    Game 1: He groans upon seeing a Cloudpost, and once he casts Utopia Sprawl I know I have to get the Ugin in hand into play ASAP. The first Ugin wipe takes out only a few permanents, and he is able to mostly rebuild with an Enchantress's Presence. It turns out that he's playing an unconventional build with Doom Foretold and Dance of the Manse, with Oath of Kaya to take out the Ugin after the second wipe. TKS snipes a Dance of the Manse from an otherwise non-threatening hand, but since I still have no real threat I aggressively Rotate for Eye in order to eventually search for Ulamog. I don't lose on the following turn, so I fetch Ulamog and start eating his permanents. He scoops when I Rotate for Karakas to replay Ulamog.

-1 Tabernacle, -1 Relic, -2 Maze
    +3 Grip, +1 Candelabra
    Candelabra comes in since we might need a quick Ugin. There aren't any other great cards to bring in, but it is a good idea to leave in Needles for Helm of Obedience and Chasm for Luminarch Ascension (or Dance in this case) anyway.

Game 2: I keep a hand that has Ugin but can't cast it before turn 4 without help from the draw step (Forest, Crop Rotation, Stage, Cloudpost, Glimmerpost, Ugin). This can be too slow, but his build appears to be slower than typical Enchantress so I decide to keep. In fact, it turns out to be slow enough that I decide not to Rotate for a second Cloudpost on his end step to cast T4 Ugin, so that I can save the Crop Rotation to get Eye later. This line works out beautifully as I topdeck a third Cloudpost and had drawn a Candelabra earlier, so I get to end-step Rotate for Eye, then untap, use Candelabra to search for and cast Emrakul 1.0 then play Ugin on the extra turn. He scoops after losing all his permanents.

Side Event Round 2: 2-1 vs. Aluren
    Game 1: I am on the draw and he Thoughtseizes away a Crop Rotation, so I figure he's playing Dark Depths and therefore Needle a Wasteland. After a few turns of him doing almost nothing I decide it's either Food Chain or Aluren. I cast a TKS and take some irrelevant creature, but he Brainstorms into Aluren and has Recruiter to fetch the missing Cavern Harpy.

-1 Bog, -1 Relic, -1 Depths, -1 Maze, -1 Map, -1 Tabernacle
    +3 Grip, +1 Wail, +2 Trinisphere
    Wail is for countering discard, but can exile a Harpy that has been shut off by Needle. I would normally prefer to keep Tabernacle, but Trinisphere is more important.

Game 2: He assembles a team of creatures while I TKS away some cantrips. The Thought-Knots keep his ground creatures at bay but I am taking 3 per turn from Strix + Harpy (which has been Needled) while defensive Strixes prevent me from attacking with my own TKS. For some reason he plays a Peacekeeper.
    I have Eye + 13 mana including a Karakas, so I decide to Eye -> Emrakul 1.0 and hope to topdeck a mana source in the top two cards to take infinite turns. I do not draw one, so Peacekeeper saves six permanents. He has one turn to find Aluren and the rest of the combo before I Eye -> Ulamog to remove Peacekeeper, and he does not find it.

Game 3: He Thoughtseizes me three times in the first two turns, taking 2 Stirrings and a Trinisphere but leaving me with a castable Krosan Grip, so I'm not really concerned until he assembles 7 power worth of creatures. He casts an Aluren and attacks, so in combat I Grip it and fall to 6 life. He has no backup copy, so I Eye for Emrakul 2.0 and take his turn. I make him Recruit a Cavern Harpy and kill himself with it.

Side Event Round 3: 2-1 vs. Burn
    Game 1: I know this person sat near me earlier but I don't remember what he's playing, so when he declines my offer of an ID I suspect that I'm in for a rough matchup. I keep a hand with Candelabra and T3 TKS, which turns out to be really good against his 1-land, Swiftspear, multiple 2-drop hand. I manage to snipe both Prices with Thought-Knots, then Eye for Emrakul 1.0 to win.

-1 Bog, -1 Relic, -1 Tabernacle, -4 Needle
    +2 Grip, +1 Wail, +1 Spatial Contortion, +1 Golos, +2 Trinisphere

Game 2: I keep a hand with Candelabra and T3 Golos, expecting to Golos for Chasm. I am at 11 life against a Swiftspear, 3 untapped lands, and 3 cards in hand when I untap on turn 3 with 2 Cloudposts. I have Golos, Glimmerpost, Forest, Crop Rotation. So the problem is that whatever land I play gets eaten by Chasm, but I need both of them in order to win (Forest to Rotate for Eye, Glimmerpost to have mana to activate Eye). So I decide to take the risk of not getting Chasm, instead going for maximum lifegain by playing Glimmerpost, then fetching a second with Golos. He has Price + Bolt + Fireblast in response to the first lifegain trigger though.

Game 3: I lead with Cloudpost, get pecked by Goblin Guide, then play Glimmerpost -> Map, cracking it on his end step for another Glimmerpost. I play it, then TKS a Price seeing a hand of Eidolon, Chain, Spike. He has only two lands and opts to play the Eidolon instead of bolting TKS after I block a second Guide with it. I take some Eidolon damage in order to Candelabra out Emrakul 2.0, and I make him Chain and Bolt himself and suicide his creatures into mine, so that on my next turn Emrakul kills him and I'm out of Price range.

Observations:
    1. TKS was spectacular all day.
    2. Dark Depths helped close several games that otherwise would have gone on much longer, so presumably it led to wins that would have been losses without it.
    3. Relic was excellent in matchups where it mattered. I was fortunate not to draw it in matchups where it would have been low-impact, but it was better when I drew it than Warping Wail would have been.
    4. Some of the Karn board was not used. Karn was fine whenever I drew it, and I never thought that there was a specific artifact that I would like to fetch but did not have. However, the Karn package cuts into the slots available for matchups where a critical mass of action is required (Reanimator). Lattice earned its keep.
    5. Several losses came after mulliganing to a 5-card hand of dubious quality because the 6- and 7-card hands were utterly unkeepable.
    6. 4 maindeck Needles was definitely correct.

Changes:
    1. I plan to experiment with a bare-minimum Karn package of Golos, Candelabra, and Lattice plus some artifacts I would have in the sideboard anyway. In several matchups I would have liked to have more Warping Wails, so I would start by replacing Karn artifacts with those.
    2. There were times when I struggled to bridge the gap from midrange to Eldrazi levels of mana. I don't see any good cuts, but a second maindeck Golos would help here.
    3. I'd like a second Relic in the sideboard. Against RUG Delver, you're often forced to crack the Relic when you would rather leave it in play because the single-card exile got overwhelmed by several turns of fetch-cantrip-spell. A second copy makes both better.

Another Cg Post player made top 16 with a list involving Reclaimer, Karn, and Ugin the Ineffable. I watched him play against Food Chain and the list seemed OK.

Thanks for reading. I'll answer any questions.
    a.k.a. Eddy Viscosity

Thanks for the write-up! That's a rough start to the tournament, glad you stuck it out and managed to keep notes on all of the matches, that isn't easy. I'm looking forward to giving the deck another go in the post wrenn meta. What sort of changes do you think you'll make moving forward? I have yet to play with Golos at all. Upon looking him up, I can't say that I'm terribly impressed. How useful has the body been for you?

Quote Originally Posted by k_omega View Post
    I played the following Cg list at Eternal Weekend, going 5-4 in the main event (excluding a bye) and 3-0 in a subsequent side event:

Maindeck:
    4 Cloudpost, Glimmerpost
    3 Thespian's Stage
    2 Vesuva
    7 Forest
    2 Maze of Ith
    1 Karakas, Eye, Bog, Tabernacle, Chasm, Dark Depths

1 Emrakul 1.0, Emrakul 2.0, Ulamog 2.0
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    1 Golos

4 Crop Rotation, 4 Stirrings, 4 Map, 4 Needle
    3 Candelabra
    1 Relic of Progenitus

Sideboard:
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Surgical
    1 Spatial Contortion
    1 Warping Wail
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Brittle Effigy
    1 Candelabra
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Golos
    1 Mycosynth Lattice

In the weeks leading up to the event I had been getting mediocre results online with the Cg lists I usually favor (maindeck Wails, All is Dust, 3 Karns), so I decided to try the Elvish Reclaimer build that Aidan Reilly has done well with. I noticed that my wins were coming more from Thought-Knot Seer and Dark Depths than Reclaimer itself, so I grafted those cards onto the Ancient Stirrings base to create the above deck.

The RUG menace motivated two card choices here: the fourth maindeck Needle (usually in the sideboard) and the Relic of Progenitus. I was losing many games to Tarmogoyf and to Wrenn-Wasteland that could not be broken up by Bojuka Bog because they would use Wasteland and return it all on their turn. Bog would only work then if you have Crop Rotation, which means you have to have a spare Crop Rotation and mana to cast it, and it has to resolve. Relic can come down on turn 1, interfere with Wrenn's +1, control Tarmogoyfs, make Hooting Mandrills uncastable, and invalidate the Wrenn emblem. It even has the occasional synergy with Karn. I have been very impressed with this card in this matchup.

Observations:
    1. TKS was spectacular all day.
    2. Dark Depths helped close several games that otherwise would have gone on much longer, so presumably it led to wins that would have been losses without it.
    3. Relic was excellent in matchups where it mattered. I was fortunate not to draw it in matchups where it would have been low-impact, but it was better when I drew it than Warping Wail would have been.
    4. Some of the Karn board was not used. Karn was fine whenever I drew it, and I never thought that there was a specific artifact that I would like to fetch but did not have. However, the Karn package cuts into the slots available for matchups where a critical mass of action is required (Reanimator). Lattice earned its keep.
    5. Several losses came after mulliganing to a 5-card hand of dubious quality because the 6- and 7-card hands were utterly unkeepable.
    6. 4 maindeck Needles was definitely correct.

Changes:
    1. I plan to experiment with a bare-minimum Karn package of Golos, Candelabra, and Lattice plus some artifacts I would have in the sideboard anyway. In several matchups I would have liked to have more Warping Wails, so I would start by replacing Karn artifacts with those.
    2. There were times when I struggled to bridge the gap from midrange to Eldrazi levels of mana. I don't see any good cuts, but a second maindeck Golos would help here.
    3. I'd like a second Relic in the sideboard. Against RUG Delver, you're often forced to crack the Relic when you would rather leave it in play because the single-card exile got overwhelmed by several turns of fetch-cantrip-spell. A second copy makes both better.

Another Cg Post player made top 16 with a list involving Reclaimer, Karn, and Ugin the Ineffable. I watched him play against Food Chain and the list seemed OK.

Thanks for reading. I'll answer any questions.

Gaming for Gains 9, tournament report. Mono G 12 Post
    Played in a 74 person tournament on Saturday. Went 5-0-2 In Swiss and placed 1st.
    Mono green feels really strong right now. Elvish reclaimer, Once upon a time, and golos are all great additions to the deck. The below is my a tournament report to the best of my recollection, I am sure I am leaving some stuff out and may misremember a few things. (I should take better notes)

Decklist:
    // Spells

4 Elvish Reclaimer
    3 Golos, Tireless Pilgrim
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    3 Expedition Map
    4 Pithing Needle
    3 Candelabra of Tawnos
    3 Crop Rotation
    3 Once Upon a Time
    1 Ugin, the Ineffable
    4 Ancient Stirrings
    1 All Is Dust

// 25 Land
    1 Eye of Ugin
    8 Forest
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Cloudpost
    3 Vesuva
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Karakas

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 3 Sphere of Resistance
    SB: 1 Thorn of Amethyst
    SB: 3 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 3 Krosan Grip
    SB: 1 Force of Vigor
    SB: 1 Veil of Summer
    SB: 1 Weather the Storm

Round 1 Vs Jeremy on UG Faerie depths, on the play
    His deck was strange, it had spellstutter sprite, vendilin clique, and some new faerie that has the adventure mechanic, as well as the depths combo, crop rotation, and force of will.
    G1: He durdels the first few turns, not doing anything while I play lands. Turn 3 I go to play a candelabra and he spell stutter sprites it. I make a few natural land drops and eventually crop rotate for Eye then cast emrakul.
    G2: I keep a hand with a few forests, 1 vesuva, 1 glimmerpost and 2 ancient stirrings. I never find a cloudpost all game and die to a marit lage.
    G3: Didn’t take any notes here, life totals show both at 20 then I won I guess…

Round 2 Vs Jason on Bant control, on the play
    G1: Mull to 6, I kept a hand with 2 lands neither of which are green and a Once Upon a time. He gets a turn 3 mentor and kills me on turn 5, while I wasn’t able to setup due to lack of green. Probably should have mulliganed again.
    G2: First few turns he ponders/BS, while I just make land drops. I play a reclaimer and rotate a few times. He plays oko and turns reclaimer into a 3/3 which I use to kill him. At some point I got an ugin the spirit dragon out to speed up the clock.
    G3: play a candelabra on turn 1, play draw go for a few turns and cast Ulamog on turn 4 exiling 2 lands. He then plays Oko and turns Ulamog into an elk. But I learned from the judge hes still legendary, so I use a map to find karaks, bounce him and recast exiling Oko and his last white source. He then concedes.

Round 3 Brady on Burn, on the play

I got very lucky here, and my opponent misplayed multiple times. Letting reclaimers live longer than he should have or timing spell casts badly.
    G1: Once again I keep a hand with no forest and only a UOaT to find it, and I don’t. This was a bad keep, I lose quickly.
    G2: Evlish reclaimer is a champ in this round. I play a T3 chasm from hand at 12 life. I rotate on endstep to get a glimmer post to go to 14. Next turn I rotate on end step to get a stage and on upkeep I copy stage letting the original die. I spend a few turns juggling veuvas and glimmerposts to gain life while making land drops. On his turn he double lightning bolts my reclaimer, so I rotate for eye. On my turn I let chasm die, grab and cast emrakul while he is tapped out.
    G3: I play an early reclaimer that is able to block a swiftspear once or twice and rotate a few times to get glimmerposts and keep my life up. Once I am down to 7 in response to a bolt I rotate for chasm, stopping his two attackers that turn as well. I keep the chasm for 2 turns. On my turn he double bolts the reclamier, so I rotate and get a glimmer post. This turn he cast 2 spells, I am able to cast Ulamog, exiling 2 of his 3 lands, and I then cast Weather the storm gaining me 12 life. Ulamog kills him over 2 turns.

Round 4 Nick on GWB elves, on the play
    G1: he mulls to 5 and has a weak start. I play out a reclaimer and a few forests, rotating them for posts over a few turns. Then grab and cast emrakul.
    G2: He T1 thoughtsiezes me and takes my crop rotate. I play a reclaimer for turn. I then plays glimpse and builds a large board of 8 ish elves but passes back. Turn 3 he glimpses again, apparently not finding a win con, and I cast weather the storm to go up to 38 life. Turn 4 he does some drawing off of elvish visionary until he casts a craterhoof. He attacks for 49 and I use reclaimer to get chasm, which he assassins trophies, so I use my thespians stage to copy it, and he assassins trophies that one as well. I die.
    G3: I have a good hand with Ugin, candelabra and a few posts. He spends the first few turns making a modest board and drawing cards with visionary. On turn 3 I cast ugin and wipe the board. He saves 1 of his 2 dryad arbors and his visionary. I spend the next few turns bolting every creature he plays until I cast a walking ballista for 4, which he concedes to.

Round 5 Ross on Grixis delver, on the draw
    G1: I play a turn 1 UOaT to find a reclaimer, and play it. Turn 2 I play pithing needle on wasteland. He doesn’t play a threat until turn 3 which is a pyromancer. EOT I go to rotate for my 3rd land in GY and get another post and he bolts my reclaimer(poor play on my part). For my turn I play a post, giving my 3 in play. He attacks for a few, next turn I play eye of Ugin and on end step I grab Emrakul. On my turn I play glimmerpost and cast Emrakul.
    G2: He draws really poorly. I get a turn 1 reclaimer, turn 2 pithing needle on wasteland and a candelabra. Turn 2 he kills my reclaimer. Then he puts down a young pyro and makes a token. His next turn he plays a dreadhorde and TS me, in response I crop rotate for bog to exile all of his cantrips and the bolt. He takes my golos leaving me with all is dust and a 2nd needle. At this point I only have 3 lands in play, 2 cloudpost and a forest. I draw a forest for turn and play it(6 mana). On his turn he attacks for 6 then plays delver and gurmag, leaving him empty handed. I draw a glimmer, play it and cast all is dust. A few turns later I draw and cast ulamog.

R6: ID

R7: ID

TOP 8

Quarter finals: Ethan on DnT, on the play

G1: I get an early reclaimer and pithing needle on wasteland. I get to use reclaimer twice before he is swords’d. I cast an Ugin on turn 4 and wipe the board. He concedes after I bolt him for a few turns.
    G2: Once again I keep a hand with no green and only a OUaT to find it. I don’t find it and I lose quickly to thalia + Brightling beats.
    G3: T1 pithing needle, turn 2 candelabra and reclaimer. Turn 1 he plays an athear vial. Turn 2 he plays tomic, which I learned turns off candelabra. End of turn 3 I use krosan grip to kill vial, leaving him with only 2 lands. Turn 4 he plays a 3rd land. By turn 4 I have used reclaimer to turn my lands into 3 cloudposts and a forest. End of his 4th turn I turn forest into karaks. On my turn I bounce tomic and use candelabra to cast Ulamog exiling two of his 3 lands. The next turn I cast Emrakul and he concedes.

Semifinals: Ross on Grixis delver, on the play( the rematch from earlier)
    He draws better these games, but same outcome.
    G1: I mull to 6. Turn one pithing needle is forced. Turn 2 I play a pithing needle and a cloudpost. Turn 3 I play another cloudpost. EOT he bounces pithing needle using a faerie card with adventure, then double wastelands me. I die shortly after.
    G2: I have a turn 1 pithing needle. Turn 2 I play cloudpost and candelabra into a daze intentionally because I have a second one. Turn 3 I play another cloudpost and the 2nd candelabra, then try to play map which he forces pitching daze. Turn 4 I use my 2 candels to play Ulamog exiling 2 of his 3 lands, he concedes.
    G3: I mull to 6. I get an early pithing needle which is never dealt with. He plays T2 dreadhorde into T3 pyro. Turn 3 I play reclaimer which gets quickly bolted. He forces my T5 golos and now has 6 elementals. T6 he attacks me down to 8, I have 3 cloudpost, 2 forest, and eye in play. No cards in hand. I top deck glimmerpost, which is my best out I think. I gain 4, then grab and cast Ulamog exiling his pyro and dreadhorde, in response he bolts me to 9 and makes his 7th token. He attacks, I block 1 token and go to 3. Next turn I found a candelabra and used it to grab and cast Emrakul. This game I got pretty lucky, but I also could have used eye to find 2 golos and get either glimmerposts or chasm, so I had other outs if I drew worse.

Finals: Amir on RUG delver(with Oko and W&6), on the draw
    G1: He has a slow start with no pressure. He plays an oko on T3 and makes a food. Turn 4 he makes is a 3/3 and starts the beat downs. Turn 5 or 6 I cast emrakul.
    G2: He has a fast start, T1 delver, T2 hexdrinker, T3 pump hexdrinker to 4/4, T4 TNN. I die.
    G3: I mull to 6 and keep a hand with 3 posts, Ugin, candelabra, and OUaT, no green source. And this time it works, I find my forest. I play forest into candelabra. T2 I draw needle and play it with a cloudpost. T2 he plays hexdrinker. Turn 4 I play my land and cast Ugin and minus to bolt hexdrinker. I spend a few turns bolting him, until hes at 9. He draws and plays oko then concedes. Final board state was ugin with 11 counters, and I had active eye with 15 mana.

Lessons Learned:
    1. Once Upon a time, Elvish reclaimer, and Golos are fanatasitic.
    2. Elvish reclaimer has singlehandedly turned some of our worst matchups more in our favor. I felt much better vs burn, elves, and delver.
    3. Golos is great, let me list the ways hes better than primetime:
    a. 1 mana less(very relevant in many games)
    b. No green needed
    c. Can be found off Eye
    d. Can be bounced with karaks for multiple triggers and infinite chump blocking(in 1 game I cast him 3 times in a turn off of karakas and candelabras).
    4. Don’t keep a hand with no green and only OUaT to find a forest, its bad…
    5. Ugin the eneffable and Wurmcoil engine never really did anything, I think they should be different cards, just not sure what.
    6. Main deck Thespian’s stage is great. Being able to copy chasm or a post is really useful.
    7. Weather the storm needs more testing, I think it helps in 2 of the worst match ups, burn and Storm.

Now that Wren and Six is banned, how essential is 4 maindeck pithing needle? Lots of decks don't play Wastelands, Wasteland recursion won't be a thing anymore and the needles can come in post board.

Now that Wren and Six is banned, how essential is 4 maindeck pithing needle? Lots of decks don't play Wastelands, Wasteland recursion won't be a thing anymore and the needles can come in post board.
    The deck can sometimes fold to a single wasteland, this may not be true anymore with elvish reclaimer, but I wouldn't go down to less than 2 - 3 maindeck. On the plus side, a pithing needle is rarely a dead card, if you can identify what your opponent is on quickly you can usually slow them down, or worst case just name some fetch lands. I once beat a stoneblade player by naming flooded strand after they went turn 1 tundra into ponder.

Jun 2015
    North Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by nimkee View Post
    Thanks for the write-up! That's a rough start to the tournament, glad you stuck it out and managed to keep notes on all of the matches, that isn't easy. I'm looking forward to giving the deck another go in the post wrenn meta. What sort of changes do you think you'll make moving forward? I have yet to play with Golos at all. Upon looking him up, I can't say that I'm terribly impressed. How useful has the body been for you?
    The Relic definitely goes out. With Wrenn no longer pressuring decks full of X/1 creatures, I want to play more Wails which probably means cutting some number of TKS. A third Maze might be a good idea.

Golos is fantastic and I have been very happy with one in the main and two Karns to get the other one in the sideboard. Any card that tutors a land directly into play is strong and 5 mana is not that much for us, though that does mean you don't want too many maindeck copies since it will clutter up your hand in the early game. Since Golos is colorless, you can search for it with Eye making that land more useful when you don't have lots of mana. I've won several games by playing Eye with 7 mana, EOT search for Golos, use it to get another Cloudpost, then Eye -> Eldrazi. Generally the power/toughness are less relevant than the simple fact that it is a creature (can attack or block, or gain life via StP), colorless (can be found with Eye or Stirrings), and legendary (can be bounced with Karakas). However it is relevant that it survives Bolt (and can't be Fatal Pushed or Decayed) and can kill small creatures in combat. Consequently it is strong against multiple small creatures where Mazes would be weak. It is extremely relevant against Eldrazi Aggro because it survives combat with TKS (while also fetching a land, Chasm in particular). I've won a few games by repeatedly attacking for 3 or killing off planeswalkers with it, and any creature can be a chump blocker to protect Karns.

Now that Wrenn and Six is banned, how essential is 4 maindeck pithing needle? Lots of decks don't play Wastelands, Wasteland recursion won't be a thing anymore and the needles can come in post board.
    Actually, I rather liked having 4 maindeck Needles in plenty of matchups besides RUG Delver. It's a lot easier to beat D&T, SnS, Depths, and other Delver decks when you have a early Needle you don't have to dig for. If I weren't playing Karns I would keep 4 in the maindeck, at least for a while, but with Karn I might move one to the sideboard.

Quote Originally Posted by sunlith42 View Post
    Gaming for Gains 9, tournament report. Mono G 12 Post
    Played in a 74 person tournament on Saturday. Went 5-0-2 In Swiss and placed 1st.
    Mono green feels really strong right now. Elvish reclaimer, Once upon a time, and golos are all great additions to the deck. The below is my a tournament report to the best of my recollection, I am sure I am leaving some stuff out and may misremember a few things. (I should take better notes)

Lessons Learned:
    1. Once Upon a time, Elvish reclaimer, and Golos are fanatasitic.
    2. Elvish reclaimer has singlehandedly turned some of our worst matchups more in our favor. I felt much better vs burn, elves, and delver.
    3. Golos is great, let me list the ways hes better than primetime:
    a. 1 mana less(very relevant in many games)
    b. No green needed
    c. Can be found off Eye
    d. Can be bounced with karaks for multiple triggers and infinite chump blocking(in 1 game I cast him 3 times in a turn off of karakas and candelabras).
    4. Don’t keep a hand with no green and only OUaT to find a forest, its bad…
    5. Ugin the eneffable and Wurmcoil engine never really did anything, I think they should be different cards, just not sure what.
    6. Main deck Thespian’s stage is great. Being able to copy chasm or a post is really useful.
    7. Weather the storm needs more testing, I think it helps in 2 of the worst match ups, burn and Storm.
    Did you have a reason for playing Ugin the Ineffable in the first place? I've thought about experimenting with it but never found a card I wanted to cut for it so I don't know how it plays. Also, do you think 3 OUaT is the right number?
    a.k.a. Eddy Viscosity

Are people active on the discord channel? I tried adding the one way back on this thread but its timed out. Can I get a fresh invite?

Thread Information