Page 329 of 338 FirstFirst ... 229279319325326327328329330331332333 ... LastLast
Results 6,561 to 6,580 of 6756

Thread: [Deck] 12 Post

Re: [Deck] Turbo Eldrazi

Thank you for reply! I will still be looking forward for other matchups guides someday :)

There's another question which were bothering me at the time I played the deck, how often do you get Tracker with GSZ at 4 mana (or maybe you don't and just want to draw it as it was one of few 4 ofs in the deck at the time), would you get Courser instead in some situations/matchups (probably yes if you have Library, not sure otherwise) or would you generally prefer to wait a turn or two and get Titan instead?

Quote Originally Posted by FatalErr View Post
    Thank you for reply! I will still be looking forward for other matchups guides someday :)

There's another question which were bothering me at the time I played the deck, how often do you get Tracker with GSZ at 4 mana (or maybe you don't and just want to draw it as it was one of few 4 ofs in the deck at the time), would you get Courser instead in some situations/matchups (probably yes if you have Library, not sure otherwise) or would you generally prefer to wait a turn or two and get Titan instead?
    At some point i will post more matchup guides, but it just takes a lot of time to write everything down.

What to get with 4 mana depends on the matchup and situation.
    Playing against a combo deck, if it's not Teeg or Scooze i want because of the specific matchup, i usually get Knight first and Tracker 2nd - Knight can at least threaten a fast kill and usually has relevant lands to get, Tracker can at least draw some more relevant cards. I board out Courser against every combo deck.
    Playing against a fair deck:
    If your are under pressure, it's often best to get a Knight - it needs to live, but if you untap with a Knight it can turn many games around (i often get the Knight first against Delver, against other fair decks not that often - pay attention to the size of your Knight against Delver, it's much better if it's out of Bolt range). On a mostly empty board, Tracker is often the best option, especially if you have a landdrop to make and expect removal. If you need land, get a Courser. Also if you're in danger to get burned out get a Courser. Courser has a slightly higher priority with Library, but even then i sometimes get a Tracker first.
    If i expect removal and don't have a way to get value immediately i might wait a turn, and if i'm still not under pressure and have the mana lined up for a Titan very soon i might keep on waiting for another turn.

In those situations where Courser and Tracker are clearly the only real options, it mostly depends on if you have a land for Tracker in hand or not. And with both cards you usually want to wait until you have the landdrop to make to get immediate value. If i play a Tracker without a landdrop to make, that usually means i have more action in hand and want to use my mana even though it risks missing some value.

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

Hey everybody,
    I'm building a mono green version of the deck for budget reason and to keep it simple because it's gonna be a gift to my girlfriend.

First of all my current deck list I worked out and test for two weeks:

Deck: Release the Kraken!

//Lands
    1 Bojuka Bog
    4 Cloudpost
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Eye of Ugin
    4 Forest
    1 Glacial Chasm
    4 Glimmerpost
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Thespian's Stage
    2 Vesuva
    3 Windswept Heath

//Spells
    4 Ancient Stirrings
    4 Crop Rotation
    2 Elephant Grass
    3 Expedition Map
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Mirage Mirror
    3 Mirri's Guile
    2 Oblivion Stone
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Warping Wail

//Creatures
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 Magus of the Candelabra
    1 Oracle of Mul Daya
    3 Primeval Titan
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre

//Sideboard
    2 Choke
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Moment's Peace
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Silent Gravestone
    2 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 The Immortal Sun
    1 Tsunami

show more

I only play 3 Titans. Often they are a bit slow and clunky on the hand [espacially on the start hand] maybe I replace the Mirage Mirror for another. The Mirror is in a flexslot. It's a nice gimmick but I'm unsure because the card needs the right envoriment to work.

3 Mirri's Guile to filter cards. Turn one Guile makes the next turns better, often by a lot

4 Ancient Stirrings as a cantrip. 78% of the deck is colorless and I love stirrings. The downside is that I can't pick Primeval Titan or Zenith.

Elephant Grass is for protection Sorcerous Spyglass gets information and hits often Wasteland or Deathrite Shaman.

I'm unsure about Expedition Map. Is often times quite slow to be really good. Another card I have in mind for this one is Sylvan Scrying. I see the point in dropping Map turn one and fetch turn two but often times I want to do other stuff on turn 2 [Spyglass, cast ancient stirrings].

In my sideboard I play 2 Immortal Sun. The card provide some useful effects but I'm unsure about it. The biggest part is the shutdown of planeswalker.

In my maybe slot I have Harmonize [in replacment for the Immortal Sun against control], All is Dust [as removal], Emrakul the promised End [I can play it quite early and it's good against storm/combo] and the Sylvan Srying I talked about.

The biggest issue is the consistency and to assemble pressure on the opponent. Another idea would be to copy Tron [modern] and adjust it to a cloudpost build.
    Last edited by Neo900; 04-06-2018 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo900 View Post

In my sideboard I play 2 Immortal Sun. The card provide some useful effects but I'm unsure about it. The biggest part is the shutdown of planeswalker.

In my maybe slot I have Harmonize [in replacment for the Immortal Sun against control], All is Dust [as removal], Emrakul the promised End [I can play it quite early and it's good against storm/combo] and the Sylvan Srying I talked about.
    Looks good, in my UG version emrakul, the promised end does so much work. I was unsure about it at the start but it has won me so many games and a lot of those I had no right winning.

With the immortal sun would it be better to have more pithing needle/spyglass effects because you can get them down as soon as the planeswalker is down rather than until you have 6 mana.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    Looks good, in my UG version emrakul, the promised end does so much work. I was unsure about it at the start but it has won me so many games and a lot of those I had no right winning.
    Maybe I find a spot to fit it in. Or really as a sideboard because it looks so nice against storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    With the immortal sun would it be better to have more pithing needle/spyglass effects because you can get them down as soon as the planeswalker is down rather than until you have 6 mana.
    Yeah, sun is a nice gimmick but nothing more :( I saw a interesting list in the Facebook group which I play with some changes. Relic of Progenitus in the mainboard looked weird at first but it turned out to be quite good. It slows down all the Deathrite Shaman decks to a level where I can operate much better. I keep testing before I post the new list.

I don't know if anybody mentioned before but what are the thoughts of the new karn? He draws cards and can create some creatures which get some benefit out of our needles

Jun 2015
    North Carolina, US

I don't know if anybody mentioned before but what are the thoughts of the new karn? He draws cards and can create some creatures which get some benefit out of our needles
    I tested Coercive Portal a while back and found it to be mediocre. New Karn is better than Portal in that Karn can "draw" a card the turn it enters play, but it comes with the risk of the opponent stranding a key land or Eldrazi in exile by killing the Karn. For this reason you would have to play at least 2 Karns. The ability to produce blockers could be very good, especially in builds with Candelabras, but it could be a problem that creating one immediately puts Karn in range of Bolt and Delver. Eating a Bolt or a Delver hit could still be good though.

So basically, new Karn looks like a small improvement on Coercive Portal provided that you have the board mostly under control and don't get your Emrakul stuck in exile. I play a C/g build with 4 each of Candelabras, Needles, and Maps and plan to test out 2 copies if I can get them cheaply.

Regarding the list you posted earlier, I think it will be fine as a fun and reasonably competitive deck. Sundering Titan is an odd inclusion though - it seems to me that you would be forced to destroy one of your Forests in too many games. Also, with only 2 GSZ you might get stuck with Dryad Arbor in hand a lot, but maybe Mirri's Guile is enough to prevent that.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

The exile part of karn seems problematic.
    With an active mirris guile or after brainstorm /ponder we can control it at least a bit.

Sundering Titan wasn't the huge bomb I expected it would be.

Dryad arbor is not that problematic. I probably go up to 3 zenith.
    Arbor is a nice ramp, a surprise blocker sometimes and protection against edict effects. I started with 2 arbors but that was just clunky.

Anyone have experience getting damping sphere down against combo decks?

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Is damping sphere that good in a post deck? It shuts down storm decks but also our own engine. I can imagine how you play sphere turn 1 or 2 and the storm player has a problem. But he has also enough time to search his out like chain of vapor and after 3 turns he plays chain and starts his combo.

At the moment I see damping sphere as a card you want to have against ramp decks and not in them.

For those of you who have 5-0'd with 12 post decks, on mtgo, how many times did it take? What sort of success are you seeing? Are you breaking even at least with any of your lists?

I do pretty well with the different post variants I run locally, but mtgo has been quite rough for me. I only managed to 3-2 once so far out of close to 10 leagues. I've had the most "success" with a slightly modified old school boozecube Cg post.

Local neighborhood Poster,

Quote Originally Posted by nimkee View Post
    For those of you who have 5-0'd with 12 post decks, on mtgo, how many times did it take? What sort of success are you seeing? Are you breaking even at least with any of your lists?

I do pretty well with the different post variants I run locally, but mtgo has been quite rough for me. I only managed to 3-2 once so far out of close to 10 leagues. I've had the most "success" with a slightly modified old school boozecube Cg post.

Local neighborhood Poster,
    MTGO is certainly much harder than any local playgroup. It's much harder than xmage at least, and while i don't play any paper magic at all, from what i have heard the paper metagame outside of big events is probably closer to xmage, while on MTGO you won't find many decks that aren't Tier 1 or at least Tier 2, and all the MTGO decklists for specific archetypes are usually very similar.

Overall my winrate is still over 50% (that's where you need to be to break even at least), around 54% now after some very rough weeks, it was close to 60% at some point. I haven't cashed my last 7 Leagues (and 4 of them ended 0-3), i don't really know what changed - certainly everything i tried completely failed. I'm not sure how long i will keep trying, if it's not getting better soon i will just sell some cards and buy a deck that's at least Tier 2.

The current metagame seems pretty hostile unfortunately. I haven't seen many Lands decks recently (my best matchup), i have seen more Maverick than DnT recently (Maverick is not bad, but DnT is a much better matchup), i haven't seen many Chalice decks (pretty much all Chalice decks are good matchups, especially Mono-Red Prison - in my last 50 matches i have only played against 2 Chalice decks), among the combo decks some Reanimator and Turbo Depths seem to have evolved into Fin Depths (which seems harder than either of the other two matchups), Miracles is now always playing maindeck Mentor and Back to Basics (and that makes it a really bad matchup, not just for my build), all the Brainstorm + Deathrite decks have gone up in metagame share because they haven't been hit with a ban (those aren't terrible matchups, but they aren't great either - and recently i'm losing much more against those decks than i used to).

Okay, so I'm not just crazy. I was noticing the same thing - less lands, dnt, and chalice decks plus more difficulty from the other tier 1 decks. Miracles with maindeck mentor and b2b (though occasionally its field of ruin) has been rough for me. I've also been losing more to the brainstorm / drs decks. A lot of those players are pretty active in discussion groups. They may have just figured out how to play the matchup.

I gave Cg another try but ended up 2-3 again. Some of them were close matchups, but close matchups when you are playing against brainstorm and ponder probably aren't as close as I'd like to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshrac82 View Post
    MTGO is certainly much harder than any local playgroup. It's much harder than xmage at least, and while i don't play any paper magic at all, from what i have heard the paper metagame outside of big events is probably closer to xmage, while on MTGO you won't find many decks that aren't Tier 1 or at least Tier 2, and all the MTGO decklists for specific archetypes are usually very similar.

Overall my winrate is still over 50% (that's where you need to be to break even at least), around 54% now after some very rough weeks, it was close to 60% at some point. I haven't cashed my last 7 Leagues (and 4 of them ended 0-3), i don't really know what changed - certainly everything i tried completely failed. I'm not sure how long i will keep trying, if it's not getting better soon i will just sell some cards and buy a deck that's at least Tier 2.

The current metagame seems pretty hostile unfortunately. I haven't seen many Lands decks recently (my best matchup), i have seen more Maverick than DnT recently (Maverick is not bad, but DnT is a much better matchup), i haven't seen many Chalice decks (pretty much all Chalice decks are good matchups, especially Mono-Red Prison - in my last 50 matches i have only played against 2 Chalice decks), among the combo decks some Reanimator and Turbo Depths seem to have evolved into Fin Depths (which seems harder than either of the other two matchups), Miracles is now always playing maindeck Mentor and Back to Basics (and that makes it a really bad matchup, not just for my build), all the Brainstorm + Deathrite decks have gone up in metagame share because they haven't been hit with a ban (those aren't terrible matchups, but they aren't great either - and recently i'm losing much more against those decks than i used to).

Quote Originally Posted by nimkee View Post
    Okay, so I'm not just crazy. I was noticing the same thing - less lands, dnt, and chalice decks plus more difficulty from the other tier 1 decks. Miracles with maindeck mentor and b2b (though occasionally its field of ruin) has been rough for me. I've also been losing more to the brainstorm / drs decks. A lot of those players are pretty active in discussion groups. They may have just figured out how to play the matchup.

I gave Cg another try but ended up 2-3 again. Some of them were close matchups, but close matchups when you are playing against brainstorm and ponder probably aren't as close as I'd like to think.
    The problem with all those Brainstorm/DRS decks is: There isn't really any way to attack them. I can make small adjustments to my deck to beat any single combo deck (not all at once obviously) if i want to, and i think even against the current Miracles decks i could build the deck to beat them (probably starting with 4x Abrupt Decay), but there aren't any cards to do that against the DRS + Brainstorm decks. For a few Leagues i tried an experiment and cut all the Posts and everything related to it from my deck and turned it pretty much into a regular NicFit deck with lots of spot removal. That deck should have crushed Grixis Delver - and i lost almost every match against it, the spotremoval never lined up right against their threats, i was sitting there with Abrupt Decay against Angler or Swords against TNN. These decks are just way too good for the format, their metagame share is growing more and more and everything built to beat them slowly vanishes again once they figure out how to play against that (if it's not clear already, i really want something banned as soon as possible). I mean, Lands was supposed to be the best deck against those decks, but multiple Delver players have said Lands is a good matchup for them, and the fact that Lands is declining in metagame share online (where the price shouldn't be an issue) backs up that they were right and the Delver players just needed to figure out the matchup. And Chalice decks are supposed to be good against those decks too. When the metagame share for the best decks is growing while all the decks that are supposed to beat it are declining, something is very wrong with the format.

Well, enough ranting for today. Somehow i managed to 5-0 a League just after my post yesterday and 4-1ed the next, but that doesn't really change anything. What i did again for those Leagues was cutting all my spot removal (since my experiment with the regular NicFit deck confirmed my concerns about those cards), and with this current configuration i'm pretty much accepting to always lose against Miracles because i can't really answer anything they do. The other thing i took from my NicFit experiment was adding Eternal Witness to my toolbox and trying out Volrath's Stronghold, Witness was stronger than expected in the face of DRS everywhere, and Stronghold was at least good enough to always get wasted before any other land and won a few games for the NicFit deck.

Jun 2015
    North Carolina, US

I made 6-2 with a C/g list at the SCG Baltimore Classic last weekend to miss top 16 on tiebreakers. Here is the list:

-----------------------------------
    4 Cloudpost, Glimmerpost, Vesuva
    1 Thespian's Stage, Karakas, Bojuka Bog, Eye of Ugin, Glacial Chasm, Tabernacle
    3 Maze of Ith
    7 Forest

1 Old Emrakul, New Emrakul, New Ulamog, New Kozilek

4 Crop Rotation, Ancient Stirrings, Candelabra, Map
    3 Pithing Needle, Warping Wail
    2 Ratchet Bomb, All is Dust, Ugin

Sideboard:
    4 Krosan Grip
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Trinisphere, Sphere of Resistance
    1 Dark Depths, Spatial Contortion, Silent Arbiter, Sorcerous Spyglass
    -----------------------------------

The main difference from the standard C/g build is 7 Forests instead of 8 and 3 Wails instead of 4 to make room for 2 maindeck Ratchet Bombs. The Bombs used to be Mirage Mirrors, but I kept boarding those out at FNMs and wanting real answers to cards that have caused frustrating losses over the past few months:

• Chalice on 1
    • Mentor/Pyromancer and their tokens
    • Leovold (because it makes Maze + Candelabra terrible and that's the primary answer to opposing creatures)
    • Maindeck hate out of blue decks (Back to Basics, Counterbalance in Miracles)
    • Game 1 Blood Moon

The real answer to these questions is Abrupt Decay, but when I tested a C/g/b build I would not draw the Decays on time or, more importantly, would have to fetch a second colored-mana source which is awkward and not always possible against Moon. Bombs can be fetched with Ancient Stirrings, required no colored mana, and have the added benefit of taking out planeswalkers and True-Names (at least in principle).

Putting Bombs in the maindeck frees up space for a fourth Grip and a Silent Arbiter. I changed the sideboarded Needle to a Spyglass to dodge Chalice on 1 and because I haven't played Spyglass before and wanted to test it.

Match Reports
    My recollection of some details is fuzzy. Longer reports mean I found the game interesting in some way so details there are more likely to be correct.
    Round 1: 0-2 vs. Grixis Delver
    In game 1 I keep a hand with Maze, lands, and Wail but never find a Cloudpost to cast the sweepers I had to clean up his threats. Game 2 is the opposite; I draw Cloudposts but no action to go with them.
    Sideboard: -1 Bog, -1 Bomb, +1 Spatial Contortion, +1 Silent Arbiter

Round 2: 2-1 vs. ANT
    Game 1: He durdles for a while, sees my Warping Wail with a Probe, and casts Dark Petition into it. After a few turns of draw-cantrip-go I counter the Petition and he doesn't have enough mana to go off, whereas after cracking 2 Maps I have Karakas + Emrakul + Mana for the win.
    Sideboard: -3 Maze, -3 Needle, -2 Ugin, -1 Chasm, +2 Trinisphere, +2 Sphere of Resistance, +3 Surgical, +1 Depths, +1 Spyglass. Spyglass is for the peek effect. It's not necessary to bring it in, but it's better than Ugin since I have Ratchet Bomb and Tabernacle for Empty the Warrens.
    Game 2: I keep a slow hand and he discards my Warping Wail. I have a choice between Candelabra + second Cloudpost on turn 2 to enable a T3 Kozilek and play Glimmerpost for 2 life to force another spell for a Tendrils kill. I go with the former and die to Tendrils.
    Game 3: He Duresses me but does not take the Ancient Stirrings that finds a Sphere. I eventually land two more spheres, locking him out while I wait to topdeck Cloudpost + threat. Eventually I get Karakas + Emrakul.

Round 3: 2-0 vs. D&T
    Game 1: I set up Maze + Candelabra to contain an expanding array of creatures. I Mindslaver him with New Emrakul and because he fetched Jitte with Stoneforge I am able to clear a swath of his board with his own Jitte counters. He suits up a Stoneforge and concedes to Ratchet Bomb ticking up to 2.
    Sideboard: -1 Bog, -1 Map, -1 Bomb, +1 Grip, +1 Spatial Contortion, +1 Spyglass
    Game 2: I slow him down with a Tabernacle which he Wastelands over a Cloudpost. The second Cloudpost and a Glimmerpost keep me alive long enough to get New Emrakul + Karakas which prompts a concession.

Round 4: 2-0 vs. Grixis Delver
    Game 1: This player is either very unskilled or just not familiar with the matchup. I keep a speculative hand with double Cloudpost and double Needle which name Wasteland and DRS. I think I got hit by TNN a couple of times before resolving All is Dust -> Eldrazi.
    Sideboard: -1 Bog, -1 Bomb, +1 Spatial Contortion, +1 Silent Arbiter
    Game 2: This game is not much different, except that I have no Needles. I sense that my opponent does not know what he's doing and play a Glimmerpost for 1 life which, as I expect, he Wastelands. That was his one Wasteland and I have more Glimmerposts to offset TNN. I rotate for Eye in his upkeep and he decides not to hardcast Force on it, so he loses.

Round 5: 2-0 vs. D&T
    Game 1: A standard game 1 in which Maze + Candelabra holds off his creatures while I draw Cloudposts and, eventually, old Emrakul.
    Game 2: I keep a hand without Cloudposts and a swarm of creatures forces me to Map for Tabernacle instead of Cloudpost. We both mulliganed and he is light on lands, so Tabernacle + Maze and Stage-copying-Maze + Candelabra are enough to hold off his creatures. I eventually use 3 Vesuvas copying the Stage to get a land base that adapts to my needs and has some protection against Wasteland, but a Sanctum Prelate on 1 has locked out my action. He Flickerwisps a Vesuva-Stage which I bring back as a Glimmerpost to provide the last mana for All is Dust. One Cloudpost later the Eldrazi start to arrive as the Stage-Mazes copy the Cloudpost. Thespian's Stage was an all-star throughout the day.

Round 6: 1-2 vs. Grixis Delver
    Game 1: I am two mana short of casting an Eldrazi when he Wastelands the Maze that is holding off his Delver. An Angler arrives and I don't find a threat or sweeper in time.
    Sideboard: -1 Chasm, -1 Bomb, +1 Spatial Contortion, +1 Silent Arbiter. After the previous matches I was thinking that Chasm might not be worth keeping in, so I put that idea to the test by boarding it out.
    Game 2: He is stuck on an Underground Sea and a Wasteland, which he declines to use on Cloudpost. Apparently he has no counterspells either because Ugin resolves and he scoops.
    Game 3: I set up Maze + 2x Candelabra which appears to be enough, but he has Ancient Grudge for both Candelabras and a second Angler to go around the Maze. My opening hand had two Crop Rotations and I drew a third, but with only one Forest I'm forced into some awkward plays to progress my gameplan in time. I end up Vesuva-ing the Forest to rotate the Vesuva (for Bog in response to Deathrite for green mana to flashback Grudge on the second Candelabra), but because I copied the Maze with a Stage I don't have enough mana for Spell Pierce. Daze counters the second Crop Rotation now that I'm down one mana source. At this point I need to topdeck very well and don't.

Round 7: 2-0 vs. D&T
    Game 1: He has 3x Mother of Runes and no Wastelands, so this game is a cakewalk.
    Game 2: He boarded in Brimaz which is pretty good against Maze of Ith. Ratchet Bomb clears up some Cat tokens, but I am short on Cloudposts to cast the Ugin in hand. I topdeck a Vesuva at the critical moment to copy my one Cloudpost which is enough for Ugin the next turn after falling to 1 off the attack. His only surviving creature is a Revoker (shutting off two Maps) but I have three Mazes for it and Ugin kills it the turn after. So he scoops.

Round 8: 2-1 vs. Sneak and Show
    Game 1: He goes for a T2 Show and Tell -> Emrakul but has no counterspell for my Crop Rotation -> Karakas. I put in a Needle on Griselbrand (wrong name, but it worked out well). I bounce the Emrakul and miraculously he draws enough air for me to cast and ultimate Ugin.
    Sideboard: -1 Maze, -1 Bog, -2 Ugin, -2 All is Dust, -1 Tabernacle, -1 Chasm, -1 Kozilek, -2 Bomb, +2 Trinisphere, +2 Sphere of Resistance, +4 Grip, +2 Surgical, +1 Spyglass.
    Game 2: I have a reasonable hand with a Sphere of Resistance, Crop Rotation, and Krosan Grip but he goes for Sneak Attack and I do not draw the third mana for the Grip. He also has Force for the Crop Rotation so I die to the second round of sneaked-in creatures.
    Sideboard: -1 Sphere of Resistance, +1 Dark Depths. Now I remember the new interaction between Depths and Blood Moon and figure it might be good enough to win.
    Game 3: My hand has Map, Grip, and Trinisphere so I keep. Spyglass (on Sneak Attack) shows me a hand with cantrips, 2x Show and Tell, Emrakul and no counterspells. He Show and Tells into Emrakul and I put in Trinisphere, then bounce Emrakul with Karakas. We draw-go for a while, then he Intuitions for Abrade, Blood Moon, Blood Moon and I let him have a Moon so I can Map -> Depths and then Grip the Moon, and because I don't want him to Abrade the Trinisphere. The plan works beautifully as he taps himself out for Show and Tell -> Emrakul and can't cast anything else through the Trinisphere. I Grip the Blood Moon, bounce Emrakul again and attack for lethal with Marit Lage.

Observations:
    1. Ratchet Bombs were OK. I never played the matchups I intended them for so one of them would have been better as the fourth Warping Wail. I think Ratchet Bomb is superior to Engineered Explosives because being able to destroy >1cc permanents is helpful more often than the lower casting cost to destroy tokens. In my view the verdict is still out on whether Ratchet Bomb pulls enough weight.
    2. The C/g builds fare best against Delver out of any 12 Post variant I've played, but Grixis Delver is a very good deck and the matchup needs work. I think it would have been correct to sideboard: -1 Glacial Chasm, -1 Crop Rotation, +1 Spatial Contortion, +1 Spyglass. Chasm can't be guaranteed to stay in play long enough, and they can aggressively DRS with one in play. Spyglass can either shut off Wasteland or DRS. DRS, Therapy, and Angler make Bojuka Bog more valuable and they can bring in Ancient Grudge which should be bogged if possible. However, Crop Rotation is really bad when casting it with low resources if they have counterspells.
    3. Thespian's Stage won a lot of games by copying a useful land and then later turning into a Cloudpost. Maybe a second copy would be helpful, but I think that is unnecessary. Vesuva has the advantage of gaining life when copying a Glimmerpost so I think it is incorrect to cut a Vesuva for a Stage.
    4. I did not miss the 8th Forest. I mulliganed some hands due to lack of green mana but they did not contain Ratchet Bombs so they would have been mulligans anyway.
    5. With the rules change to Blood Moon, Dark Depths seems to be a strong line against Sneak and Show.
    6. The success in this event comes mostly from steamrolling several D&T players and I only faced four different archetypes, so the results are not representative of how the deck would perform in a more varied metagame.

At the moment there are no changes that I would recommend confidently, but it might be OK to cut the Silent Arbiter from the sideboard and it would be nice to have a maindeck Spatial Contortion.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

First of all congrats on the finish.
    I like some aspects of your list a lot.
    I think Ratchet Bomb is often quite underrated by everyone.

I have a some questions about some choices.

1. Maze of Ith: didn't you have the feeling they slow you down sometimes? I like it so far as a one of but 3 seems a bit much and they don't give you any mana.

2. Playing 4 candelabra seems to much. Aren't they a bit annoying sometimes?

3. Vesuva: those are extra glimmer and cloudpost but only if you have already one. I have often the problem that I have them on the start hand and can't do anything with them. What are your experiences?

I have the problem that my early and mid game is quite hard sometimes.
    Don't you miss Primeval Titan sometimes?
    I always want it to make the jump ahead.

Jun 2015
    North Carolina, US

First of all congrats on the finish.
    I like some aspects of your list a lot.
    I think Ratchet Bomb is often quite underrated by everyone.

I have a some questions about some choices.

1. Maze of Ith: didn't you have the feeling they slow you down sometimes? I like it so far as a one of but 3 seems a bit much and they don't give you any mana.

2. Playing 4 candelabra seems to much. Aren't they a bit annoying sometimes?

3. Vesuva: those are extra glimmer and cloudpost but only if you have already one. I have often the problem that I have them on the start hand and can't do anything with them. What are your experiences?

I have the problem that my early and mid game is quite hard sometimes.
    Don't you miss Primeval Titan sometimes?
    I always want it to make the jump ahead.
    It sounds like you're used to playing Primeval Titan versions, which is what I played before Top got banned. From the perspective of those builds your skepticism is completely justified; I played zero Mazes, 2 Vesuva, and at most 1 Candelabra when I played Primeval Titans for exactly the reasons you mentioned. This build, however, is designed to be as flexible as possible and Primeval Titan has two major conflicts with that goal: 1) It requires two green mana sources, which constrains which lands can be sacrificed for Crop Rotation and sometimes forces you to tutor for a Forest; 2) Having Titans and Eldrazi means more unplayable starting hands and bad topdecks since you can't always cast them. These problems are worsened now that we can't filter our draws with Divining Tops. In my build, all the early-game cards can be cast with one Forest and one colorless source, so I can always Rotate away extra Forests as needed. This also means that I can keep opening hands with only two mana-producing lands which helps prevent mulligans. I keep hands with Forest, Glimmerpost, Vesuva and no other lands all the time if the other cards are good.

The result is that this version is considerably slower, which leads to the answers to your questions.

1) Maze of Ith is there to prolong the game by being a zero-mana removal spell that can't be countered. Without Titan as a shortcut, we need to make sure we survive long enough to find and cast the Eldrazi. Obviously Maze requires a land drop, but think of it this way: if the opponent has a Deathrite Shaman and an Insectile Aberration, you have 4 turns to win. Playing Maze costs you 1 turn but essentially removes the Delver so that you then have 10 turns. So you pay 1 turn to gain 6.

2) Once Maze is in play, a Candelabra acts as a removal spell that also ramps up mana production. Since the opponent will have time to find a second threat, we will need to find removal and the combination of removal +advancing our own game plan is too potent to use fewer than 4 copies. Also, in some matchups we really need to be fast and Candelabras help.

3) Like with Candelabras, once a Maze is in play Vesuvas also act as removal spells. This build frequently ends up topdecking, and a land that copies the best available land is good to draw. In the early turns, I usually keep Vesuvas in hand until I have a good land to copy. Since the deck requires so few lands in the early game this is usually not a problem. At the tournament I won several games where I stalled with Forest + land + Maze + Candelabra for a few turns because Maze + Candelabra bought enough time to topdeck the important cards.

I've considered putting Primeval Titan in the sideboard to bring in against Lands because its much easier to get 6 mana against them than 10 and they can't remove it, but fewer people play Lands now and I don't have that much trouble beating it without Titans. Other than that I don't miss it. If you want to play some, I suggest playing 8 or more Forests since you will not want to have to spend a Map getting a Forest for Titan.

I've played 2-3 Mazes and 3-4 Candelabras in every iteration of this deck and the 3/4 split is the best. The fourth Maze is unnecessary because Vesuva, Stage, and Candelabra all duplicate the effect while also performing other functions in the deck, whereas Maze only does one thing. I wouldn't play a build like this with fewer than 3 Candelabras

@omega why don’t you include a ballista or two? Seems like a good fit for Cg.

Jun 2015
    North Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by MechTactical View Post
    @omega why don’t you include a ballista or two? Seems like a good fit for Cg.
    It's on my list of things to try. There are only 2-3 slots in the deck that I consider flexible so I can only test one card at a time. Right now it's Ratchet Bomb because Ballista doesn't deal with Chalice and is bad against Leovold.

Quote Originally Posted by k_omega View Post
    It's on my list of things to try. There are only 2-3 slots in the deck that I consider flexible so I can only test one card at a time. Right now it's Ratchet Bomb because Ballista doesn't deal with Chalice and is bad against Leovold.
    True, but it adds a fundamental new ability to your deck (direct damage to player/creature). It seems like ballista would work best in Cg since this version generates the most amounts of mana among all iterations of post.dck. You can fetch it with eye or find it with stirrings. Although I don't play Cg, I would think ballista would be an auto-include.

I’m very interested if Rock is still playing post? And if he is what the hell is he playing? Or did our creator simply give up after SDT ban??
    Regarding straight UG I went back to Rock’s post-SDT wish list, which I think is probably the “only viable” straight UG list I’ve played in the post SDT era.

Thread Information