Page 5 of 338 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] 12 Post

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

Re: [Deck] Turbo Eldrazi

Quote Originally Posted by somethingdotdotdot View Post
    From my testing so far, the times when cyclonic rift is better than tide is when its in the starting hand or when you draw it while the board is empty. A tide stuck in hand w/o brainstorm is basically -1 card from the starting hand, while a cyclonic rift can still turn 2/3 bounce a delver. I will concede that once you have enough mana, the tide tends to be better because it is 2 less mana (but the UU is what kills it for me) and All is Dust's permanence is a lot more satisfying.

If Team America takes off more, cyclonic rift bouncing a tombstalker is really good. It'll buy at least 2-3 turns for 1U while repeal would need 8U.
    If Team America starts becoming prominent over BuG Control, then All is Dust would just replace repeal. The ONLY logic that cyclonic rift trumps the other better removal spells is if its instant-ness is relevant. Right now, that isn't the case.

Apr 2008

More wins with the deck. Tuesday weekly event net'd me a Wasteland, 3 modified Eldrazi's, and an unanticipated ego stroke.

My 4th round opponent offered an ID to me, with me being the only undefeated in the event. He offered it because he knew he couldn't beat my deck, and I was still guaranteed first and he was 3rd, or 2nd if the other round drew. I was flattered, and of course agreed.

Apr 2008

webpage dying, accidental repost and can't delete. fail!

Apr 2012
    Manila, Philippines

I hope we get the same success this coming November 10 with another major tournament. Price is a set of Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by blindspotxxx View Post
    I hope we get the same success this coming November 10 with another major tournament. Price is a set of Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    A few months ago I'd scoff at a playset of Jaces, but now they're over 100$ apiece! I love Modern speculation! =D

Nov 2012
    Paris

Hi Everybody i m knew here. I come from Paris so first of all, apologize for my english.

I just came to talk about this deck that i play in France since 6 month. This deck is fun competitive and i ve test'd a lot lot of version.
    Looking for a good removal i ve tested all is dust and didn t like him, it's too hard to cast against denial decks. Devastation tide is good but sometimes not enough against a goblin warchief so i splashed white to add some terminus. I changed a bit my mana base with a tundra, 2 savannah one more fetch and 2 mox diamond. I m pretty happy about that idea.

I played 3 days ago at GP Lyon legacy side event.
    I started 4-0 after burning 2 rock an UW miracle and a dredge deck
    Then i lost against MUD (hard match up)
    Draw against BUG aggro ( a missplay glimmer/cloudpost on titan)
    Then i lost against BUG control ( loam waste jace liana deed......)
    4-2-1 drop then back home

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Keupon View Post
    Hi Everybody i m knew here. I come from Paris so first of all, apologize for my english.

I just came to talk about this deck that i play in France since 6 month. This deck is fun competitive and i ve test'd a lot lot of version.
    Looking for a good removal i ve tested all is dust and didn t like him, it's too hard to cast against denial decks. Devastation tide is good but sometimes not enough against a goblin warchief so i splashed white to add some terminus. I changed a bit my mana base with a tundra, 2 savannah one more fetch and 2 mox diamond. I m pretty happy about that idea.

I played 3 days ago at GP Lyon legacy side event.
    I started 4-0 after burning 2 rock an UW miracle and a dredge deck
    Then i lost against MUD (hard match up)
    Draw against BUG aggro ( a missplay glimmer/cloudpost on titan)
    Then i lost against BUG control ( loam waste jace liana deed......)
    4-2-1 drop then back home
    You dislike Repeal for removal? I have found it to be extremely good at all stages of the game, which is the major lacking in all other removal spells.

Also can you supply a deck list? Perhaps I can give suggestions for the white-splash, which I have done extensive testing with.

If you can't express your response in English, I speak non-fluent French, but enough to answer your questions with some infrequent dictionary usage.

Nov 2012
    Bologna, Italy

Hi all,

as our french friend above, i'm really new to this forum (even if i've read it for months). I've been a gobbos player for such a long time, but since i discovered this deck I grew more and more interested in it, it sounds really unconventional but still highly competitive. Also, I'd like to play a deck that's all but common to see in tournaments (I'm from Italy and here candelabras are rare to be found). Lee, I've tested what i think it's your latest build (3x repeal, 3x show'n tell, green sun zenith) and found it really good against rising decks like junk, nic-fit and basically every non-blue deck (with the exception of mud) but i'm having trouble in facing correctly decks like RUG tempo or BUG tempo. Stifle always gets me with my pants down (fetches, maps, titan triggers) and i often find myself hiding behind chasm while hoping to draw the right card, that almost always get FoWed. Could you please give me some tips about how i should play these games? Also, could you please tell us what are your sb plans against typical format decks?
    Thanks in advance! ( sorry if my english isn't perfect, i'm a bit rusted :-) )

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Davek View Post
    ... i'm having trouble in facing correctly decks like RUG tempo or BUG tempo. Stifle always gets me with my pants down (fetches, maps, titan triggers) and i often find myself hiding behind chasm while hoping to draw the right card, that almost always get FoWed. Could you please give me some tips about how i should play these games? Also, could you please tell us what are your sb plans against typical format decks?
    Thanks in advance! ( sorry if my english isn't perfect, i'm a bit rusted :-) )
    I will tell you you a secret of sorts that applies to Stifle in general, but specifically to the RUG/BuG matchup. When my opponents are playing Stifle, the best possible play, is to do nothing. Simply hold back your stifle targets and make them lose opportunity cost by landing threats later, not being able to EOT brainstorm, whatever the mana sacrifice may be. Turbo Eldrazi wins if it has time, so the way to beat decks that are based around using their mana every turn is to not allow them to use their mana every turn, and thus gain time from it.

I know it might seem small and simple, but my teammate Scott Hughes had the same concern specifically about Stifle, and I told him this. In the same event I told him about this philosophy he employed it against Rug both in the swiss and in the top 8 and crushed it. RuG can't deal with having to hold back. The deck relies on spending its mana every turn and garnering exactly enough advantage to win from it.

Bruce Lee had it right with his discipline Jeet Kune Do, Way of the intercepting fist. By being Defensive you enable yourself to control the movement and tempo of a fight.

Upcoming major event on our end and I'm planning to bring a list identical to yours (save for the SB... we don't have enough Flusterstorms or Venser, so we're going with a 3/3 Flusterstorm/Spell Pierce split). Wish me luck!

A few things though... any tips against the Mono-Black Pox/Aggro Matchup? From the few games I've played against it, it seems it's well-equipped to give Turbo Eldrazzi a bad day - Land-disruption and Hand-disruption right up the wazoo, plus it becomes a down-hill battle when he's got you down to top-deck mode and he has an active Liliana dismantling your hand, or destroying your board presence...

What about burn? From my testing it seems like a coin-toss for the most part, even with the SB... Any pointers here?

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SBGpinas View Post
    Upcoming major event on our end and I'm planning to bring a list identical to yours (save for the SB... we don't have enough Flusterstorms or Venser, so we're going with a 3/3 Flusterstorm/Spell Pierce split). Wish me luck!

A few things though... any tips against the Mono-Black Pox/Aggro Matchup? From the few games I've played against it, it seems it's well-equipped to give Turbo Eldrazzi a bad day - Land-disruption and Hand-disruption right up the wazoo, plus it becomes a down-hill battle when he's got you down to top-deck mode and he has an active Liliana dismantling your hand, or destroying your board presence...

What about burn? From my testing it seems like a coin-toss for the most part, even with the SB... Any pointers here?
    Pox is one of your easiest matchups. they get completely shut down by needle. side out things like show & tell, which are bad against hymn and discard. You just out-advantage them, and they have no pressure. The local venues I play at often have 2-3 pox decks in a ~30 man environment, and I haven't lost a game to them in months. Elephant grass also laughs at them hard, but I probably would consider it overkill. side in spell pierce x3 for x3 show & tell and call it a day.

Your best card against decks that try to go 1-for-1 against you on card advantage is Sensei's Divining Top. The card is simply beast considering how many shuffle effects you run. Play off your top 3, not your hand.

I recently added Spellskite to the Side against burn, but keep crop rotate for Glacial chasm in response to price of progress, and prioritize glimmerposts first. NEVER assume they can't kill you when you get primeval titan, always be safe and get chasm early with primeval titan searches. Even when attacking with primeval titans I suggest chasms for safety. If there is lots of burn in your area, you can run 2x Glacial Chasm, 1 main 1 side. This lets you tutor it early and not have to sustain it while holding back a crop for your 2nd one.
    Last edited by Rock Lee; 11-08-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Apr 2012
    Manila, Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by SBGpinas View Post

I also ordered Vensers lol and the 4th Flusterstorm will be given to you by Dominic. You also have spare Trinispheres and Revokers lol Good Luck!

I also lost to MBA today, sided like a Pox matchup but then in then on the other hand you just need Elephant Grass against that deck. Went to draw though with that deck, didn't pithing needle Liliana and I named Wasteland then Ratchet Bomb. He was able to Ultimate my Elephant Grass out. Also after a lot of shuffling and Top activation no kill cons come out so I lost game 2 resulting in a draw lol Pithing Needle on Ugin is a pain
    Last edited by blindspotxxx; 11-08-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by blindspotxxx View Post
    I also ordered Vensers lol and the 4th Flusterstorm will be given to you by Dominic. You also have spare Trinispheres and Revokers lol Good Luck!

I also lost to MBA today, sided like a Pox matchup but then in the you just need Elephant Grass against that deck. Went to draw though with that deck, didn't pithing needle Liliana and I named Wasteland then Ratchet Bomb. He was able to Ultimate my Elephant Grass out. Also after a lot of shuffling and Top activation no kill cons come out so I lost game 2 resulting in a draw lol Pithing Needle on Ugin is a pain
    I prefer venser over Elephant Grass in the pox matchup for exactly that reason. Bouncing Liliana in resp to her 1+ ability when they have no hand will win a game handily. That and they can't deal with karakas abuse.

It is important to know when the deck transitions from its normal plan. Pox is one of those times where simple advantage-plays will win you the game. Going all-in is significantly riskier and unnecessary. Waiting a turn to keep a SDT in play is almost always the better play. Just playing lands are often stronger plays than casting lots of spells. You move towards mana advancement not necessarily locus advancement. That type of thing.

Sep 2012
    Mount Sterling, KY

So how playable is this deck without Candelabras?
    Current Legacy Decks:

BUG Tempo
    GB Nic Fit
    Merfolk
    LED Dredge
    Esper Stoneblade

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by thra1l View Post
    So how playable is this deck without Candelabras?
    not

Apr 2012
    Manila, Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    I prefer venser over Elephant Grass in the pox matchup for exactly that reason. Bouncing Liliana in resp to her 1+ ability when they have no hand will win a game handily. That and they can't deal with karakas abuse.

It is important to know when the deck transitions from its normal plan. Pox is one of those times where simple advantage-plays will win you the game. Going all-in is significantly riskier and unnecessary. Waiting a turn to keep a SDT in play is almost always the better play. Just playing lands are often stronger plays than casting lots of spells. You move towards mana advancement not necessarily locus advancement. That type of thing.
    I sided in the spell pierces but failed to counter the Phyrexian Arena and the Liliana. Arena was turn 2 or 1 I guess with Dark ritual and I played turn 1 top. Didn't have a blue source early lol but had a nice ramp. He was able to pay the Spell Pierce I applied to Liliana. Pithing Needle on Liliana would have won me :)

Sep 2012
    Mount Sterling, KY

not
    Surely a card that was ran for quite a while as a one-of with no means to search for it isn't essential to the deck. It may not be optimal, but I think a list without it would viable. I would just rather not drop the cash on a Candelabra right now.
    Current Legacy Decks:

BUG Tempo
    GB Nic Fit
    Merfolk
    LED Dredge
    Esper Stoneblade

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by thra1l View Post
    It may not be optimal, but I think a list without it would viable.
    Read this sentence 10 times. I am only interested in optimal deck construction.

If you want to make a casual deck, this is not the forum or thread for you. I have explained multiple times why my candelabra choices in the past have been such, when 0 would be a viable number, why I chose 1 for a long time, and what the future of it would be. Using the search function is not hard, and a lack of its use only shows laziness or ignorance as I mention on the first page where to search and that I will not be repeating explanations especially those not thought out or tested.

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

Pretty stoked to build this deck. Wish I had the cards for this saturday, it'd blow my meta out of the water.

Sep 2012
    Mount Sterling, KY

Read this sentence 10 times. I am only interested in optimal deck construction.

If you want to make a casual deck, this is not the forum or thread for you. I have explained multiple times why my candelabra choices in the past have been such, when 0 would be a viable number, why I chose 1 for a long time, and what the future of it would be. Using the search function is not hard, and a lack of its use only shows laziness or ignorance as I mention on the first page where to search and that I will not be repeating explanations especially those not thought out or tested.
    And a reply like that only shows immaturity; I was not being rude to you, don't be rude to me. I agree that I should have searched the older forum first, my apologies, but it would've been just as easy for you to direct me to it politely rather than rudely demeaning me and calling me a casual player.
    Current Legacy Decks:

BUG Tempo
    GB Nic Fit
    Merfolk
    LED Dredge
    Esper Stoneblade

Thread Information