Page 52 of 338 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 6756

Thread: [Deck] 12 Post

The real me is no match for the legend.
    Oct 2013
    Cleveland, Ohio

Re: [Deck] Turbo Eldrazi

Quote Originally Posted by TimHarding View Post
    Nice to see you jamming post- there's a mono colorless post player in my area and he does pretty well with it.

As for what you've said above - the only thing that really separates your list from the identity of this UG post thread is Show and Tell. The card affords this deck the ability to threaten extreme early explosion, while maintaining the inevitability. The acceleration can straight beat a healthy portio of legacy by itself, and keeps many other decks off balance. To me it's analogous to football where if your threats are 1D the defense will bias towards that. Without show and tell, their permission hits a lot harder. For me show as tell is largely there to keep forcing them to react, and only against aggro it then becomes the plan.

As for the other big tickets, tabernacle is barely in my 75 and often out, and candle - while usually optimal - doesn't change the identity of the archetype like SnT does. In fact I had neither in my 75 for the better part of the summer.

Good luck
    I have 4 Show and Tell. Sorry that wasn't clear. I was saying that it was an easy jump-in for me, budget-wise, because I spent money on the SnTs but I had already had everything else because I had picked up stuff like Eldrazi and even the Breeding Pools at under $10 a pop, as the rest of the deck (again, except Trop/Candel/Tabernacle) was all pretty inexpensive at one point. Speaking of Show and Tell, my first opponent, who normally plays Shardless BUG, had decided on OmniShow instead that day, which I obviously didn't know before hand. I kept a hand of Post/Post/Pool/SnT/SnT/Titan/Top figuring that I'd be able to force one of them in. Top revealed another Titan. Then he cast Intuition for 3 Show and Tell...and it turns out Omni to Emrakul is a much better play. Second game I had to mulligan to 4 on the play. I guess I could have kept going, but I figured Post/Post/Crop/Crop was about as good a four card hand as I was going to get...actually still managed to not miss a land drop and curve to a Turn 4 Titan, but then I died before I could untap.

That sucked.

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Hey everyone,

I've been following the Turbo Eldrazi thread for a while (I remember following the old thread). I considered playing the Red splash version (with Bonfire) at the BoM, but I'm a) still missing a few key cards and b) lacking experience with the deck. Since the deck is hard to master, I think that would be a recipe for disaster...

That being said, I'm considering playing UWr StoneBlade (possibly MiracleBlade), but I'm really worried about the Turbo Eldrazi matchup. I played against it 2 weeks ago in a local event, and my Patriot Blade got crushed 2-0. I was testing a version with 2 Waste and 2 Stifle MD, and even though I wasted him once in both games, Stifled his Expedition Map, and countered his Candelabra, he killed me with Emrakul in both games. I sadly didn't have counterspells for his Crop Rotation (that would have helped). Repeal also did work, allowing him to bounce my Batterskull or SoFaF-equipped creature, gaining him a lot of time. I tried to slow him down, bouncing one of his lands with Venser, but that wasn't enough.

What's even worse, is that I was considering removing the 2 Wastelands for a basic Plains and a basic Island (for a better manabase against Wasteland decks), but that would make the matchup even worse...

Should I just accept that Turbo Eldrazi is an horrible matchup? Would Blood Moon in the SB help, even though Turbo Eldrazi can just Repeal it? Would Pithing Needle help? What do you fear when playing against Blade Control / Miracles?

Any advice is appreciated :)

May 2013
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by SirTylerGalt View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've been following the Turbo Eldrazi thread for a while (I remember following the old thread). I considered playing the Red splash version (with Bonfire) at the BoM, but I'm a) still missing a few key cards and b) lacking experience with the deck. Since the deck is hard to master, I think that would be a recipe for disaster...

That being said, I'm considering playing UWr StoneBlade (possibly MiracleBlade), but I'm really worried about the Turbo Eldrazi matchup. I played against it 2 weeks ago in a local event, and my Patriot Blade got crushed 2-0. I was testing a version with 2 Waste and 2 Stifle MD, and even though I wasted him once in both games, Stifled his Expedition Map, and countered his Candelabra, he killed me with Emrakul in both games. I sadly didn't have counterspells for his Crop Rotation (that would have helped). Repeal also did work, allowing him to bounce my Batterskull or SoFaF-equipped creature, gaining him a lot of time. I tried to slow him down, bouncing one of his lands with Venser, but that wasn't enough.

What's even worse, is that I was considering removing the 2 Wastelands for a basic Plains and a basic Island (for a better manabase against Wasteland decks), but that would make the matchup even worse...

Should I just accept that Turbo Eldrazi is an horrible matchup? Would Blood Moon in the SB help, even though Turbo Eldrazi can just Repeal it? Would Pithing Needle help? What do you fear when playing against Blade Control / Miracles?

Any advice is appreciated :)
    I guess you are just another "bye" for Turbo eldrazi as it is designed to trounce hard control / slow beatdown.
    If I were you I won't spend SB slots to improve this MU. Just hope to dodge it during your event.
    The deck itself is not widely played.

Apart from that, blood moon effect slows him down. If you add something like "Meddling mage" naming repeal you should be able to put almost any Turbo eldrazi on a good lock.
    The hardest part will be here to assemble the lock pieces in due-time (for game 2), not impossible by any means because it is likely that the turbo eldrazi player is not going to side in his counterspell wall against a "blade" deck.
    Thus, in a 'catch-all' thing, you might pull a draw. (losing the first game, winning the second and going to time on the third).

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    I guess you are just another "bye" for Turbo eldrazi as it is designed to trounce hard control / slow beatdown.
    If I were you I won't spend SB slots to improve this MU. Just hope to dodge it during your event.
    The deck itself is not widely played.

Apart from that, blood moon effect slows him down. If you add something like "Meddling mage" naming repeal you should be able to put almost any Turbo eldrazi on a good lock.
    The hardest part will be here to assemble the lock pieces in due-time (for game 2), not impossible by any means because it is likely that the turbo eldrazi player is not going to side in his counterspell wall against a "blade" deck.
    Thus, in a 'catch-all' thing, you might pull a draw. (losing the first game, winning the second and going to time on the third).
    Thanks for the advice!

Meddling Mage makes sense. I'm considering adding 1-2 to my SB. I wanted Ethersworn Canonist, but I think Meddling Mage will also help against combo decks :)

I'm also considering adding a 1-of Enlightened Tutor and a 1-of Back to Basics maindeck, if I can find the space... Back to Basics should be good if I can keep Turbo Eldrazi from playing Candelabra.

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

Thanks for the advice!

Meddling Mage makes sense. I'm considering adding 1-2 to my SB. I wanted Ethersworn Canonist, but I think Meddling Mage will also help against combo decks :)

I'm also considering adding a 1-of Enlightened Tutor and a 1-of Back to Basics maindeck, if I can find the space... Back to Basics should be good if I can keep Turbo Eldrazi from playing Candelabra.
    The only times I've lost to Esper involved them drawing 3 wastes and 3 stifles in the first 4 turns, with a delver self-flipping on stifle. I've lost to that opener three times. I've also lost to them going first, having a force for my 1st play, a daze after they play geist, then a double waste and stifle for the 2nd turn of geist.

ie. insane hands beat the deck, but that's it. If you don't feel you need the extra sideboard space while not wanting to warp your manabase, just sideboard 2 wastelands.

I have lost to meddling mage in the past, but needing to name repeal, and show and tell, and venser, and emrakul is often too difficult. I only lost to it when he had three in play.

Thanks for the advice!

why arent you just running uwr delver the matchup gets a lot better for you if your tempo??? 4 stifle and 4 wasteland help the match a lot and you have a decent clock. not saying your favored because i still dont mind playing rug or uwr delver, I mean there are just hands people cant beat when your playing rug or uwr. thats my opinion

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Jul 2013
    CT

DC list steadily taking shape:

Post.

[MD]
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    3 Vesuva
    1 Forest
    2 Island
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Bajouka Bog
    1 Karakas
    1 Eye of Ugin
    1 Glacial Chasm
    4 Primeval Titan
    1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    2 Trinket Mage
    1 Oracle of Mul Daya
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Expedition Map
    2 Candelabra of Townos
    4 Repeal
    3 Show and Tell

[SB]
    4 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    2 Swan Song
    2 Chalice of the Void
    2 Glen Elendra Archmage
    1 Show and Tell

Nothing too flashy going on here. The Oracle of Mul Daya serves many purposes, and it functions as the average of a Titan, manipulation, aggro defense, and acceleration. Feels like a 4th map, 5th Titan, explore, exploration, top, and moment's peace all at once. 3 Vesuva, 3 basics feel like the best balance for openers and mid-game. Force of will has been great but I cannot settle on main decking it. This version devours fair decks, and is completely combo loaded in the board - with only 1 SnT for aggro. Goblins and MUD don't get any hate slots - just relying on speed and FOW. Not sure if it'll be 2 swan 2 chalice or 3 swan 1 chalice, but two chalice has been working well, not so much for storm as for reanimator.

Apr 2008

With Sneaky Show going bonanza, i would include a needle in the 75 somewhere. Also The new merfolk deck, Progenifish is disgustingly good, and folds to needle overload.

Hey guys. My friend is letting me borrow his Turbo Eldrazi deck to bring to the Legacy GP in Virginia. I'm thinking about playing it myself. My main deck is GW Enchantress and I've been thinking about some of the pros and cons of playing each deck.

I have experience playing Enchantress, about 0 experience playing this deck.

I think Enchantress is less powerful than this deck but also has a lot of the same good matchups.

I have plans to win against my suboptimal matchups with Enchantress, I don't know where to begin with this deck.

I have been modifying my deck for months now and know its ins and outs, know basically nothing about this deck.

Setting aside time to learn this deck uses up time that I could be testing with Enchantress.

There are more reasons for me to play Enchantress at this point, but I'm wondering if Turbo Eldrazi is good enough in the current meta or far enough more powerful that I would rather register that than Enchantress at the event. Is there a certain way to tweak the deck so that it requires less decisions so it's easier in a new pilot's hands?

Please help.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by LOLaSageOwl View Post
    Hey guys. My friend is letting me borrow his Turbo Eldrazi deck to bring to the Legacy GP in Virginia. I'm thinking about playing it myself. My main deck is GW Enchantress and I've been thinking about some of the pros and cons of playing each deck.

I have experience playing Enchantress, about 0 experience playing this deck.

I think Enchantress is less powerful than this deck but also has a lot of the same good matchups.

I have plans to win against my suboptimal matchups with Enchantress, I don't know where to begin with this deck.

I have been modifying my deck for months now and know its ins and outs, know basically nothing about this deck.

Setting aside time to learn this deck uses up time that I could be testing with Enchantress.

There are more reasons for me to play Enchantress at this point, but I'm wondering if Turbo Eldrazi is good enough in the current meta or far enough more powerful that I would rather register that than Enchantress at the event. Is there a certain way to tweak the deck so that it requires less decisions so it's easier in a new pilot's hands?

Please help.
    No.

I was going to write up a huge essay of a reply, but this deck is the hardest competitive deck to play in any format. If you want to bring it successfully to a GP, then put in at least 50 games of playtesting per major archetype. That is difficult to do constructively in the 2 week allotted time period, akin to cramming for an exam. Retention would be at a minimum.

There are options for making the deck simpler to play, similar to how Dan Neely built the deck, but that doesn't remove the explosive logic chains and statistically forecasted plays you need to pull off to eek out wins against good players.

Nov 2007
    Finland

In general, you're better playing something you are familiar with when going to a big tournament. You are bound to lose games and matches because of being unfamiliar with your new deck.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Jul 2013
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    With Sneaky Show going bonanza, i would include a needle in the 75 somewhere. Also The new merfolk deck, Progenifish is disgustingly good, and folds to needle overload.
    Good point. I'm always biased towards omni, since I feel like I'm guaranteed to face it, but times might have changed..

Apr 2008

Good point. I'm always biased towards omni, since I feel like I'm guaranteed to face it, but times might have changed..
    This is the list I'm testing in anticipation of DC. Bane combines omni, sneaky, random combo and sligh-aggro hate all in one bundle. Testing will involve if the card deserves a 1-3 slot. Also if Bonfire is sufficient hate against Progenifish.dec or if Ostone has to make a return.

// Lands
    4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
    3 [TSP] Vesuva
    4 [U] Tropical Island
    4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
    4 [MR] Cloudpost
    1 [ZEN] Island (8)
    1 [IA] Glacial Chasm
    1 [LG] Karakas
    2 [R] Volcanic Island
    1 [WWK] Bojuka Bog

// Creatures
    4 [M12] Primeval Titan
    1 [PRE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    2 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    4 [UL] Crop Rotation
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [V09] Sensei's Divining Top
    3 [US] Show and Tell
    3 [GP] Repeal
    1 [ZEN] Expedition Map
    1 [SH] Mox Diamond
    1 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
    3 [AVR] Bonfire of the Damned
    1 [M10] Pithing Needle

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [US] Show and Tell
    SB: 4 [AL] Force of Will
    SB: 3 [CMD] Flusterstorm
    SB: 3 [THS] Swan Song
    SB: 1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    SB: 1 [M10] Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    SB: 1 [C13] Bane of Progress

::EDIT:: 3 show and tell not sufficient vs progenifish, moving 4 to main with 1 bane at least.

No.

I was going to write up a huge essay of a reply, but this deck is the hardest competitive deck to play in any format. If you want to bring it successfully to a GP, then put in at least 50 games of playtesting per major archetype. That is difficult to do constructively in the 2 week allotted time period, akin to cramming for an exam. Retention would be at a minimum.

There are options for making the deck simpler to play, similar to how Dan Neely built the deck, but that doesn't remove the explosive logic chains and statistically forecasted plays you need to pull off to eek out wins against good players.
    how is the red splash doing for you? it seems ok. are there games where you are getting mana screwed? example:playing rug delver and they are using stifles and wastelands? some games i blow rug and uwr delver out and other games they are just to quick and have a answer to everything. it seems like a nightmare adding another color with how big rug, uwr, taxes and goblins(still being played) are. i havent even tried the trinket mages, would you ever go back to not playing them or are they that good? just some questions for you since you have tried a lot of different stuff with the list.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    how is the red splash doing for you? it seems ok. are there games where you are getting mana screwed? example:playing rug delver and they are using stifles and wastelands? some games i blow rug and uwr delver out and other games they are just to quick and have a answer to everything. it seems like a nightmare adding another color with how big rug, uwr, taxes and goblins(still being played) are. i havent even tried the trinket mages, would you ever go back to not playing them or are they that good? just some questions for you since you have tried a lot of different stuff with the list.
    My current list only has 1 trinket mage. He isn't obscene, he just advances your board state at every stage of the game post-3-mana.

The red hasn't been an issue yet. Running less fetches, and the Mox Diamond helped significantly with stifle crushing my setups. I have had to resort to vesuva'ing their volc, but most decks I NEED bonfire against run red or give me red, so this works out well.

When I first added bonfire I worried about a 3rd splash, and the negative ramifications of that, but in the current meta, there is no reason not to get greedy, if your third color is red. Knight/recursion are at a minimum with abrupt decay and moon effects running rampant. Bonfire gives you an avenue of victory that is entirely from another direction. You can look at matchups differently. And with Bane's printing, I am entirely reconsidering what my 'worst' matchups are in a very positive sense.

Feb 2011
    Cape Fear

Streaming Rock Lee's list at 9:30 PM EST on my stream. www.twitch.tv/modozahori Only card unavailable is the commander one. Will appreciate any commentary during play.
    Check out my Youtube channel featuring Magic Online Legacy Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/modozahori
    Follow me on Twitter@modozahori

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by zahori View Post
    Streaming Rock Lee's list at 9:30 PM EST on my stream. www.twitch.tv/modozahori Only card unavailable is the commander one. Will appreciate any commentary during play.
    Watched some of your games. Amusing choices. Shows how crazily the deck can be piloted. I did a good share of /palm'ing and couldn't watch after 10 minutes. But I appreciate you putting out the good effort!

Jul 2013
    CT

Watched some of your games. Amusing choices. Shows how crazily the deck can be piloted. I did a good share of /palm'ing and couldn't watch after 10 minutes. But I appreciate you putting out the good effort!
    Any specifics from anyone?

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Any specifics from anyone?

Yeah that would be very interesting. Rock Lee, have you ever considered streaming MTGO / Cockatrice games and explaining your decisions? It would be awesome.

Feb 2011
    Cape Fear

You know, I have really appreciated how much you have done for the community behind this deck, as well as admired the many builds you have shared with us. Yet, I'm fairly disappointed that you simply watched me play wrong and chose to leave instead of sharing what you would have done. I'll keep on streaming and posting videos of my face palming strategies, and I welcome everyone to shred them to pieces. My goal is not to maximize my viewers, it's to try and get better by showing what I do and hopefully open conversation about how others would have played the hands I am dealt.
    Check out my Youtube channel featuring Magic Online Legacy Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/modozahori
    Follow me on Twitter@modozahori

Thread Information