Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: Mana Mania

[Article]Eternal Europe: Mana Mania

This time I'm taking a closer look at the two well-performing ramp-decks from the last two SCG Legacy Opens and try to explain why they did well. Check it out!

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...ana-Mania.html
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Mana Mania

So the Eye of Ugin actually is R'lyeh? And Emrakul is Cthulhu? Well then the deck deserves a completly different name though, like "Lovecraft's Legacy" or something :P

On a more serious note: Good article, seems correct too. Nice read.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp802 View Post
    So the Eye of Ugin actually is R'lyeh? And Emrakul is Cthulhu? Well then the deck deserves a completly different name though, like "Lovecraft's Legacy" or something :P

On a more serious note: Good article, seems correct too. Nice read.

Greetings
    "Lovecraft's Legacy" is sweet! I'd much prefer that name but alas, too late. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that those were the actual playtest names of the cards.
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

I like the article! I remember playing against this style of deck back in the Mental Misstep/Providence Grand Prix era. I agree that such a deck is probably more well situated now that fast all-in aggro decks and Hymn to Tourach are on the decline (fwiw I beat it 2-1 with a classic Team America build... gotta admit, I kind of miss Mental Misstep and the incredibly open format that existed at that time.)

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

We ARE having a Team MM vs. Team Ban MM snowball fight at Denver, so I guess I know which team you're on.

Again, I enjoyed the article, Carsten. Conditional counters do nothing to the go-big strategy, and that's what they're preying upon. It's initially the reason UW back a year or so ago started to run Counterspell again, since other UW decks at some point would be able to dodge Pierce and you couldn't interact with them as well. Again, insights like this are nice to see.

The question is, are ramp decks good enough to see long term play? Time will tell, but I definitely know they key for ramp is stable mana development over the long terms and not getting blown out by Wasteland, something both decks do in different ways (Signets and Talismans vs. Needles + Show and Tell to put on a clock).

-Matt

This article is very timely. Seeing ramp decks take off is pretty cool in a format that's been so hostile to them for so long. I think you're a bit off on the MUD decks though. Thran Dynamo is a great supplement to Metalworker in the MUD Stompy decks and it's another good target for Voltaic Key.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Well written and enjoyable as always :)
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Thread Information