Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern Masters

Re: Modern Masters

My issue with the new Tarmogoyf is how big it is. Tarmogoyf usually tops out at a 4/5 and only gets bigger than that if you're lucky. Deer, I believe, are around 3/3 (if the power/toughness of stags is any indication), so it dwarfing them by so much is a bit odd. Now granted, size doesn't always scale with power (you've had humans who are bigger than the stags in the power/toughness), but it seems odd for it to be so gigantic compared to them when the card usually isn't that big and can be pretty small also. The old Tarmogoyf showed it to be pretty big, but didn't seem to be this big. Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but the massive size does bug me a little. But I suppose it's a minor quibble in the grand scheme of things...

Incidentally, the Official announcement is up.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

I think the intentionally made the new goyf look like crap to give a little special value to the original ugly one. The original at least looked like an alien fucked up card from another game, this new goofy looks like a vanilla green common creature, like a 6/7 for 5GG

They have to justify the Mythic rarity somehow... but come on, just pretend it's a fully powered 8/9 Goyf on the picture.

The flavor text is priceless, almost seems like a joke about the the "death" of Legacy.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

If the point of the set is to increase the accessibility of Modern while turning a tidy profit, I would say it is an excellent idea.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    If the point of the set is to increase the accessibility of Modern while turning a tidy profit, I would say it is an excellent idea.
    Realistically, a lot of the cards in this are only going to be fringe playable in Modern but end up in the set because of the need to balance draft. The fact that Tarmogoyf was promoted to mythic in a set with a limited print run does not give me a lot of hope for any major drop in prices for some of the most expensive Modern staples.

Which I guess was the point, based on Forsythe's article. It's just that $100 Goyfs could probably stand to have their prices drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    I don't know what you guys are all talking about. I'm going to miss old tarmogoyf's monster, man-eating vagina face. This new piece of monster art is rather generic. That old art represented something truly, conceptually scary.
    Problem with the old art isn't the concept, it's the fact that it looks like a smeared out dark blob with no definition. Like the artist drew something cool, then turned the gamma down to 2% in a stroke of genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    People seem to forget that Tarmogoyf is a Lhurgoyf--in particular, the most unfuckwithable one next to a properly setup Terravore. They're generic looking creatures. Terravore is a fucking rhino dinosaur thing made of soil. Every single one of them looks generic. Tarmogoyf is aptly the scariest looking one that seems to be encompassing everything, it's tearing up the earth and eating what's in front of it, it's flavor text is even applicable. For Tarmogoyf to look anything but a generic lhurgoyf looking creature would make no sense.

It should be visually identifiable as a lhurgoyf, the old art wasn't a visually identifiable anything--it barely even took a shape--and this is a far more appropriate art and one I enjoy greatly.
    Original lhurgoyf looks way better and scarier. Also at least terravore makes sense as a dinosaur made of soil, since he's, you know, TERRAvore.
    Nowhere do you see: Efficient Answers to Other Cards. Force and MMS will never be banned. Deal.
    Bardo, Site Admin

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Anyone who complains about this set because they are worried about their Tarmogoyf's not retaining their $100 status needs to be taken out back and beaten with a gold bullion brick.

I support this and any future "Chronicles" sets so long as no updated Reserve List is concerned.

Reprint away!
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

Im bored so I will speculate a bit about the set concerning the article:
    - the picture def shows city of brass - hooray for modern frame non foil bb cities :D
    - the article tals about drafting dredge, storm and faeries - so I guess we will see Narcomoeba and Bridge ( just to give them modern frames ), and also very likely stinkweed imp. for the storm part I can imagine either grapeshot or etw, along with some weaker storm spells, a few rituals ( seething song is very likely ) and maybe some suspend stuff. faeries means that at least spellstutter sprite and scion of oona are in... maybe vendilion clique as well ( hard to tell, there actually aren't that many absurdly high prices modern cards and they can't put too many of them in one set ), more likely to see sower of temptation or mistbind clique though. oh, and perstermite!
    Humphrey is always correct.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Well, guess that means Confidant is in "Sinker" now. Rosewater did mention that it was him or Goyf and we now know where goyf is. (hit up Salvation for the twitter feed if you want to see that).

I do like how they adjusted the rules text on goyf to be able to grow a little bigger if they ever decide to make a new card type again. Not likely for a long time, but it's there.

I am not real happy that these new Goyfs are probably going to cost about the same as a Future Sight one right off the bat being that it's a Mythic. Smaller boxes, Mythic status, high dollar tag on the packs makes for pretty high dollar average to pack one. Scary. They might even pass up the foils in price depending on how limited this supply actually is. I hear it's worse than the Commander arsenal and that's pretty damned bad.

I like the flavor text.

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    Well, guess that means Confidant is in "Sinker" now. Rosewater did mention that it was him or Goyf and we now know where goyf is. (hit up Salvation for the twitter feed if you want to see that).

I do like how they adjusted the rules text on goyf to be able to grow a little bigger if they ever decide to make a new card type again. Not likely for a long time, but it's there.

I am not real happy that these new Goyfs are probably going to cost about the same as a Future Sight one right off the bat being that it's a Mythic. Smaller boxes, Mythic status, high dollar tag on the packs makes for pretty high dollar average to pack one. Scary. They might even pass up the foils in price depending on how limited this supply actually is. I hear it's worse than the Commander arsenal and that's pretty damned bad.
    MaRo says a lot of things. Here (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...g/daily/mm/216) he said Bob is "a little bit too good to repeat." Maybe he's becoming senile.

At any rate, making such a set was great idea, making Tarmogoyf (and probably some other older rares) mythic rare is not so good, especially with boosters already having a MSRP of $7, but a "very small" print run renders the entire thing almost inconsequential. I don't recall very many mythic rares from 8th Edition to Alara Reborn being played heavily in Modern, and Elspeth 1.0 has been reprinted already, so it's evident that most, if not all mythic rares will be former rares.

The "we don't want newer players picking these up by mistake thinking they can use them at, say, Friday Night Magic" line from today's announcement reeks of hypocrisy. Noone will pick them up by mistake because stores will sell out during preorder season or immediately after the product goes on the shelves. And anyway some very recent products aimed at new players are already illegal in Standard, e.g. a lot of the cards from the M13 event decks have rotated out.

The Illusionist
    Apr 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    I don't recall very many mythic rares from 8th Edition to Alara Reborn being played heavily in Modern, and Elspeth 1.0 has been reprinted already, so it's evident that most, if not all mythic rares will be former rares.
    That's probably because Mythic Rarity wasnt there untill Alara ;)

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Viridia View Post
    That's probably because Mythic Rarity wasnt there untill Alara ;)
    That's exactly his point. Outside of Goyf/Clique/Thoughtseize - are there any other candidates from those sets that would fall under Mythic?

EDIT: Mutavault*
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

"Worse than Commander Arsenal" means one box per store, if that. This would have pretty much zero practical impact on prices; in fact, the Modern Masters versions might be more expensive than the originals if the new arts are good. Note that the Premium Deck series was also labelled "limited print run" and was more widely available than FtV (another "limited print run" product). It would be nice if they told us how limited so we know where it's worth it to shell out $20+ per pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Outside of Goyf/Clique/Thoughtseize - are there any other candidates from those sets that would fall under Mythic?

EDIT: Mutavault*
    The two Darksteel Swords, Cryptic Command, Arcbound Ravager, Vedalken Shackles, Kira, Maelstrom Pulse, Noble Hierarch, Scapeshift, Engineered Explosives, Bribery - fairly expensive chase rares, all of them. While the Swords and Hierarch are already Judge promos and Pulse is also some sort of promo, there remain several cards in the $10-20 range that would qualify. And of course, there's going to be some fringe playables like Greater Gargadon. And let's not forget we need something that was once very good but is now largely obsolete, like Tombstalker, for the sake of nostalgia.

They might even pass up the foils in price depending on how limited this supply actually is. I hear it's worse than the Commander arsenal and that's pretty damned bad.
    Where?

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Anyone who complains about this set because they are worried about their Tarmogoyf's not retaining their $100 status needs to be taken out back and beaten with a Nazi gold bullion brick.

Fixed that for you JUST to make it even more expensive. Was watching Goldfinger tonight, and I figured I had to throw it somewhere.

Can we get a link or direct quote on that? People say all the time that Maro says things that he doesn't actually say.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by dragonstout83 View Post
    People say all the time that Maro says things that he doesn't actually say.
    I smell potential for a new meme!

"But MaRo just tweeted, if you cut a hair it will later grow longer and thicker!"
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Funny joke from Brazilian Magic boards:

The text for the new Tarmogoyf should be the flavor text for Deep Analysis:
    "The specimen seems to be broken."

LOL

Thread Information