Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 4 Split @ Hartsdale, NY with Turbo Eldrazi - mini report

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

Top 4 Split @ Hartsdale, NY with Turbo Eldrazi - mini report

After throwing away my Top 8 at Jupiter Games the day before, I was determined to not punt this event and not get distracted. I am convinced to tweak the deck to mime my teammate Scott Hughes's. After Oct 20 and 21 events Scott only lost 2 matches, both to Burn, which I feel confident beating. So I make the swaps, and they were incredible all day long, several matches being won entirely on their choices.

Unknown Location venue. They oddly were holding unsanctioned Legacy, offering proxies to be bought for 5$ per. The venue required 44 persons for the admittedly very generous prize structure. The location only had tables for 48 persons so this seemed either highly optimistic or an intriguingly flawed business model. Regardless, they opted to go ahead with the posted prize support with 38 persons, which I am pleased about and we're off to the races!

// Lands
    4 [TSP] Vesuva
    4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
    4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    4 [B] Tropical Island
    1 [ZEN] Island (2)
    1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
    1 [WWK] Bojuka Bog
    1 [IA] Glacial Chasm
    1 [LG] Karakas
    4 [FNM] Cloudpost

// Creatures
    1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    4 [M12] Primeval Titan

// Spells
    4 [UL] Crop Rotation
    4 [MM] Brainstorm
    4 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    4 [ZEN] Expedition Map
    3 [SOK] Pithing Needle
    2 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
    3 [US] Show and Tell
    3 [GP] Repeal
    1 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [CMD] Flusterstorm
    SB: 3 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    SB: 2 [MBS] Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 2 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant
    SB: 3 [VI] Elephant Grass
    SB: 1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

Round 1 vs. Belcher

Game 1. He wins the die roll and makes 16 goblins so I have 2 turns to assemble an answer. If I had had 3, ie gone first I would've, but not 2.

Game 2. I side in a bajillion cards and keep a hand of Chalice, Crop rotate, good lands, map, and top. Great hand. Chalice buys me one turn, then I can crop rotate for chasm in resp to belcher or tabernacle if he goes warrens. He reveals his hand the next turn of a turn 1 belch with no cmc zero mana sources. Must. Be. Nice.

So starting with a loss, that isn't good! My breakers will be a nightmare, meaning I'll have to win out the rest of the event to make Top 8. But where's the fun in me Winning my first (X-2) rounds then drawing my last two? no Drama. no Panache. Onward!

Round 2 vs. High Tide

Game 1. His deck poops all over him. I Show & Tell a Titan and he doesn't have an island nor combo pieces to go offf that next turn. He debates Turnabouting me on my next turn. But declines. I tutor and cast emrakul, and he turnabouts my creatures next turn, but I have Karakas for infinite turns. He shows me a hand of Pacts, Turnabouts and Time Spirals.

Game 2. He forces my turn 3 Chalice @ 1, but I have flusterstorm to back it up. my turn 1 Top feeds me a 2nd Chalice @ 1 and flusterstorm, and I have a hardcast titan on turn 5 with flusterstorm as backer to clinch it.

Round 3 vs. Zoo

I have a super friendly opponent who somewhat loses his mind when I play Cloudpost. Amusing guy though.

Game 1. I go down to 13 when I cast kozilek and his body goes limp with him only having 2 dudes in play and no swords/paths in hand.

Game 2. He gets a super early Meddling Mage naming Show & Tell and my hand was based off show & Tell emrakul. He squeezes it out the turn before I can hardcast a titan.

Game 3. He holds back for Reb on Show & tell for a long time, but I just cast green and colorless spells to victory. Kozilek again on turn 4 against only a kird ape for pressure so I take the match.

Round 4 vs. Nic Fit Hulk combo

Two slow yet potentially extremely explosive combo decks against each other. Fun.

Game 1. He gives me one blind draw before he goes all-in for Academy Rector and combo me out with pattern of rebirth, but my one mystery draw was Crop Rotation, my only out. Like a crazy miser and he can't recouprate from the hit in time.

Game 2. I'm starving for double colored the whole game, and would have been able to hide a Crop rotation on top of my library to win it, but on the turn where I have to Vesuva my trop and wait 1 turn he combos off. tragedy.

Game 3. Long and grueling, a Vesuva'd Gaea's Cradle buys me turns and repeal and tabernacle forces him to make hard decisions in sacrificing his xantid swarm and go all in on Progenitus as he has combo pieces in hand. Admittedly I did have a crop rotation at the time so I could interrupt the combo, so Progenitus was the wise choice. I plant a Glacial Chasm and ride it out until an absurd board state where he can't win, but I can't risk him combo'ing out after I lose glacial chasm. So I have to abuse the bejesus out of multiple candelabras, Karakas and Ulamog while in Turns to force him to combo out and sacrifice. Once I Ulamog the 7th time killing his final reactive board piece, I can swing in with annihilator 14 when he is at 2 life for the win.

Round 5 vs U/W Delver

Poor Rob's only loss of the day is against Scott Hughes, also playing Turbo Eldrazi, in round 1 and his shoulders do a visible slump when I play Cloudpost-go. Later in the round he somewhat lost his mind, showing me his hand and playing open-faced for the last half of game two since he was certain he had zero chance of winning. Oddly this was not the case, but I'll take any advantage.

Game 1. He is forced to play down Snapcasters and cliques as beats while I simply ramp to a bajilion mana and cast Emrakul.

Game 2. Aven Mindcensor early makes my life relative hell, but he has no real pressure despite Aven Mindcensor having a Sword of Feast and Famine and Umezawa's Jitte due to repeals. I look at 14 cards on one turn and finally gain 5 life to survive a last bird beat before kozilek starts being the friendly hugging Tentacle beastie that they are before I then gain another 6 life to un-reachable life totals for him.

Round 6 vs Alex bertoncini playing Bant.

There was only one person in the entire room that I wanted to play and wanted to beat badly, and it was Alex Bertoncini. In addition to Alex being banned for cheating by the DCI, has several articles written detailing his history of cheating in many many top finishes, his personality is as welcoming and cordial as a porcupine with a genital rash. He single-handedly held up the tournament to finish cubing instead of submitting his decklist and during the time that I normally have my pre-game jargon and banter he ignores me and tells someone else at the event also playing that round for Top 8 how to propose illegal collusion offers without being caught red handed. He is only able to play at this venue because it is oddly allowing proxies and thus not sanctioned and his Ban that covers all of 2012 does not apply here. There are only 4-5 players in all of Magic that I want to obliterate mentally and have zero feelings of sympathy or camaraderie with, but Alex Bertoncini is one of them. Thankfully, I do exactly that. Karma loves those who love others, not themselves.

As we are shuffling up to game one I notice that his sleeves are INCREDIBLY marked. Beyond any degree of marking I have ever seen. Entire areas of them lifted into conch-shell curls of lifted plastic 1 inch high, or lifted/bent edges. I ask him to re-sleeve the especially beat sleeves, to which he begrudgingly agrees.

Game 1. We have a long game 1 that involves me Show & Tell'ing a Titan against his Double Knight of the Reliquary. To make the game even longer, I call a judge when he tries to adjust his shortcutted double-Knight of the Reliquary choices after tapping them as part of his "5 mana shortcut" from 3 lands but was still shuffling his library. (This is exactly the type of action that Alex Bertoncini was banned until 2013 for) The judge was not confident making a ruling so they spent just under 10 minutes to call up a judge to answer. The judge over the phone ultimately tells the judge on site to use their discretion, and the judge lets Alex choose both of his lands again, and his wastelands end up allowing him to actually have a chance at game 1. Feast and Famine pro-green backed Stoneforge Mystic takes me down in 3/4 dmg chunks exalted-dependent, but Titan constantly bogging Alex means his Knights are Grey Ogres. Once all 4 wastelands are gone I go for Glacial Chasm and keep windmilling Primeval Titans until I have 2 with a 3rd one in hand. He lands a Batterskull and equips Sword of Feast or Famine on it, and I have double repeal for his germ to swing in lethal.

He asks me after the match why I didn't tutor up Vesuva/Cloudpost instead of Cloudpost/Cloudpost, to which I told him I shouldn't have and I'm a bad player. I found it highly amusing that he didn't realize that you can't copy the 2nd land you're tutoring with Primeval Titan with a tutored Vesuva. I didn't punt, he was just worse than I thought.

As soon as the game ends Alex calls a judge and says to watch me for Slow Play. I balk at this since I was playing at a fine pace considering I'm making 4-5x the number of decisions a turn than Alex. Alex says that since I won game 1 it is in my favor to slow play and stall. I tell him that would be obviously cheating, to which he has no karmic or historic retort. The judge still shows up, which is fine of course. Alex asks another judge if they can have an additional time extension despite us being given an equal amount of time of our ruling, and the judge gives us 5 more minutes. Again, this time extension favors him, as he even admitted obviously looking to gain every illegal advantage he can in this game.

Game 2. He as a slow hand of turn 2 Stoneforge Mystic for Feast or Famine. I have a not-slow hand of Show & Tell Primeval titan, he loses to me getting 4 Cloudposts and casting Emrakul from hand on turn 4.

Karma is a wonderful goddess.

Top 8 vs. Bug

I played against this fine gentlemen during the 40 free minutes I had after my Round 1 belcher loss as he was genuinely interested in what his matchup was against Turbo Eldrazi. I told him it was pretty heinous, but sure. After 6 games in those 40 minutes he had only won one of them, affirming my declaration.

Game 1. He has early inquisitions on my Show & Tell and then Candelabra of Tawnos backed with a deathrite shaman and sylvan library. I repeal-cantrip off his sylvan library before he looks at it twice and he forces a Show & Tell. His first look with sylvan library nets him 3 cards, the second 2 with him at 4 life, but with so many dead removal cards he is more gleening than improving and my Ulamog resolves, swatting down a delver and able to block one of the two Goyfs. Deathrite shaman is still plugging away at me, but the lowest I go is to 12 with Glimmerposts gaining me 7 life this game and Ulamog clinches it.

Game 2. I have a stable hand of Cloudposts, Emrakul, Crop rotation, Show & Tell, which has Show & tell get inquisition'd away. I draw a map, then top, and I get two free draws while he is attempting to rush me with double tarmogoyf 2/3's and a deathrite shaman. On my 3rd draw he taps out to Vendillion Clique me in draw step, and I reveal GSZ and Primeval TItan as my bonus cards, with the mana to cast both. He takes Titan as it is 1 mana left, so I tap out for GSZ, he jokes that he has the Daze, but doesn't, and the lifegain ends the game for him with the threat of Emrakul in hand even amidst removal for the titan, which he didn't have.

Scott Hughes and I both make it to the Top 4, get paired, and agree to Split the prizes for a glorious victory of 50% of the prize going to Turbo Eldrazi in the event!
    Last edited by Rock Lee; 10-22-2012 at 03:11 PM.

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Re: Top 4 Split @ Hartsdale, NY with Turbo Eldrazi - mini report

Nice report. This deck looks like a lot of fun to pilot.

Out of curiosity, did you get to use Venser, Shaper Savant? What matches do you typically bring him in for?
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    Nice report. This deck looks like a lot of fun to pilot.

Out of curiosity, did you get to use Venser, Shaper Savant? What matches do you typically bring him in for?
    The deck is an absolute BLAST to play. Every person I have handed my 2nd copy of it to has gone on to make another copy for themselves and said that it was the most fun deck they have every played in legacy. The fact that it is competitive is only gravy.

The major reasons he is there is for any Show & tell based decks, any decks where I side out Show & Tell (such as decks running hymn), or slow-er combo decks/ win-cons that lose to his inevitability or needed bounce. I sided him in against High Tide, where he is an absolute beast-machine-awesometown-house. I also debated it heavily against Nic Fit Hulk Combo, but ultimately figured that interrupting the combo for one turn wasn't good enough and Venser was too clunky when I often needed faster answers.

Venser is amazing though. Love him to bits. It pains me that he is 50$ in foil because of EDH silliness! Same with my poor baby Eldrazis.

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Alex Bertoncini, the name looked familiar but I've been out of the magic scene for a year or two now. So I googled him... Let's just say it would suck if you googled yourself and the first page is basically about you cheating hahaha.
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

The Legend lives on :)
    Humphrey is always correct.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    He asks me after the match why I didn't tutor up Vesuva/Cloudpost instead of Cloudpost/Cloudpost, to which I told him I shouldn't have and I'm a bad player. I found it highly amusing that he didn't realize that you can't copy the 2nd land you're tutoring with Primeval Titan with a tutored Vesuva. I didn't punt, he was just worse than I thought
    He (probably) knew it wouldn't work; he was (probably) suggesting it so you'd do it. But yeah, SCG PotY winners don't just show up and play with (purportedly) inch-long sleeve protrusions.

What a character.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTrudeau View Post
    He (probably) knew it wouldn't work; he was (probably) suggesting it so you'd do it.
    Exactly what I thought.

While I also hate Bertonicini for what he has done, a time extension is never an "illegal advantage". Whenever I read your tournament reports I like what I see, but some things always come off as pretty biased. I also always ask for time extensions when I'm down 0-1 and had a judge call during game1, no biggie. If the judge agrees to a time extension, there has to be a reason - if he can't state one, you should definitely appeal.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTrudeau View Post
    He (probably) knew it wouldn't work; he was (probably) suggesting it so you'd do it. But yeah, SCG PotY winners don't just show up and play with (purportedly) inch-long sleeve protrusions.

What a character.
    Well he asked me after the match, not the game. So if he was suggesting I would do it for future play, he was banking on playing me again at some point at an unsanctioned event, or after his ban is lifted. Something tells me that wasn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Exactly what I thought.

While I also hate Bertonicini for what he has done, a time extension is never an "illegal advantage". Whenever I read your tournament reports I like what I see, but some things always come off as pretty biased. I also always ask for time extensions when I'm down 0-1 and had a judge call during game1, no biggie. If the judge agrees to a time extension, there has to be a reason - if he can't state one, you should definitely appeal.
    The time extension wasn't illegal. We got a time extension of 10 minutes, which was the time it took for the entire judge ruling. The illegal extension was when he lost game 1 he asked for an additional extension for no reason, and the judge gave it to him.

Julian, You're saying that if you lose game 1 and there was a judge ruling during that game, you got extra time, immediately after you lose game one you call a judge over to get extra time, and you consider that not seeking an illegal advantage?
    Last edited by Rock Lee; 10-22-2012 at 10:08 PM.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Oh, I see. Thought he asked for an extension b/c of the ruling; which is what I always do. Kinda strange the judge agreed with on on giving a second extension, I think you should definitely have appealed or pressed for a reason there.

Otherwise, good job at beating up the kid ;-)
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Nice report, and you are far more gentlemanly than I. The second I would have sit down across from Bertonicini I would have called a judge to watch the match, and I definitely would have made him play his "shortcuts" correctly. Regardless, nice finish, and sweet deck.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Sounds like a fun tournament with a fun deck! Also glad you got to stomp Alex... :)

Your round 4 opponent sounds like he was playing a deck called Zero - look for it in the Established forum. Didn't realize people were still playing it since Grafdigger's Cage came out. Its a faster deck than you think - can Turn 2 you post board with the help of Slaughter Pact.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

As soon as the game ends Alex calls a judge and says to watch me for Slow Play. I balk at this since I was playing at a fine pace considering I'm making 4-5x the number of decisions a turn than Alex. Alex says that since I won game 1 it is in my favor to slow play and stall. I tell him that would be obviously cheating, to which he has no karmic or historic retort. The judge still shows up, which is fine of course. Alex asks another judge if they can have an additional time extension despite us being given an equal amount of time of our ruling, and the judge gives us 5 more minutes. Again, this time extension favors him, as he even admitted obviously looking to gain every illegal advantage he can in this game.
    It doesn't matter how many decisions you have to make. You have to play the game at a reasonable pace. From what you've stated here his request for you to play faster seems perfectly reasonable.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by lebron jim View Post
    It doesn't matter how many decisions you have to make. You have to play the game at a reasonable pace. From what you've stated here his request for you to play faster seems perfectly reasonable.
    Not to try to get technical on you. But decision making is exactly what determines how much time you can take. Not possible decisions, but actual decisions made increase the amount of time you have to think without slow play or stalling. I was searching and looking with top 2-3 times each player's turn. That's 30 seconds per action in addition to shuffle times, which I was minimizing on.

I wasn't sitting idling and thinking "hrmmm let me think of all my possible plays that number in the 100's of possible outcomes." I was progressing the game state and using my time allotted. He called the judge because he thought it would benefit him by putting me on tilt, and making me play sloppily, and because after he lost game 1 he needed to start pulling dirtier and dirtier potential advantages. Was surprised he didn't ask to count my sideboard with his loss being imminent.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Not to try to get technical on you. But decision making is exactly what determines how much time you can take. Not possible decisions, but actual decisions made increase the amount of time you have to think without slow play or stalling. I was searching and looking with top 2-3 times each player's turn. That's 30 seconds per action in addition to shuffle times, which I was minimizing on.

I wasn't sitting idling and thinking "hrmmm let me think of all my possible plays that number in the 100's of possible outcomes." I was progressing the game state and using my time allotted. He called the judge because he thought it would benefit him by putting me on tilt, and making me play sloppily, and because after he lost game 1 he needed to start pulling dirtier and dirtier potential advantages. Was surprised he didn't ask to count my sideboard with his loss being imminent.
    30 seconds to Top after shuffling, every turn, is my definition of Slow Play. Doing so 2-3 times a turn is egregious. If I was watching this match as a judge I would warn you to speed it up.
    Outside of officiating, if a player that uses Top for a number of years takes this long to make decisions worries me about the game-pace being used.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    30 seconds to Top after shuffling, every turn, is my definition of Slow Play. Doing so 2-3 times a turn is egregious. If I was watching this match as a judge I would warn you to speed it up.
    Outside of officiating, if a player that uses Top for a number of years takes this long to make decisions worries me about the game-pace being used.
    I suppose all I can say to that is I am extremely pleased that we are separated by 3,000 miles. If I am being told to speed up my play because I'm spending 1 1/2 minutes looking at 9 cards in 3 card increments while performing searches and using spells, then I would be livid.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I suppose all I can say to that is I am extremely pleased that we are separated by 3,000 miles. If I am being told to speed up my play because I'm spending 1 1/2 minutes looking at 9 cards in 3 card increments while performing searches and using spells, then I would be livid.
    Perhaps you are not being clear in what you refer to as action. I assume by action you mean "a single spell/ability resolving." Is this what you mean by it?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

wait has it been 18 months already? is he allowed to play again? Oh man I REALLY hope he goes right back to grinding SCG opens, crushes, wins player of the year again, and then dirty birds us in the poty photo.
    westcoast degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by csy View Post
    wait has it been 18 months already? is he allowed to play again? Oh man I REALLY hope he goes right back to grinding SCG opens, crushes, wins player of the year again, and then dirty birds us in the poty photo.
    Yeah, you can probably expect that not to happen.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Perhaps you are not being clear in what you refer to as action. I assume by action you mean "a single spell/ability resolving." Is this what you mean by it?
    Thought I was quite specific. 1 1/2 minutes total to look at 3 cards 3 times, when the 3 cards are random each time. You say slow play. And that blows my mind.

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by csy View Post
    As I mentioned several times in the report, it was an unsancationed event randomly, hence why he could play.

Thread Information