Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loyal Retainers Reprint in Commander's Arsenal

Re: Loyal Retainers Reprint in Commander's Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    To be fair: Who plays Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed? Maybe EDH players?

Loyal Retainers seems more usable, especialy with a less ridiculous price tag.
    Who plays Loyal Retainers? The card sees barely any EDH play and is only fringe playable in Legacy.

I'm glad I didn't try to preorder this. Rhystic Study? Really? That card is garbage in EDH and it baffles me why people continue to play it. Even in a dedicated LD deck, where you can force the opponent to give you the card more often, it is merely okay.

The only things I want out of this so far are the Command Tower (which is probably going to be impossible to get) and maybe the Duplicant (which got a sweet art upgrade but which I don't play very often).

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I think the best take away from this is that they are pushing eternal and casual formats, which is good good for everyone in that older cards are being reprinted left and right. Eventually they will abolish the reserved list and reprint dual lands they are slowly working towards that announcement.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    I'm glad I didn't try to preorder this. Rhystic Study? Really? That card is garbage in EDH and it baffles me why people continue to play it. Even in a dedicated LD deck, where you can force the opponent to give you the card more often, it is merely okay.
    Because in multiplayer Rystic Study is insane. If you play in a 4 player game having study to force everybody else's spells to cost 1 more or you get to draw is such a pain for all of those other players. Especially if you open with this, everybody else is either slowed down a lot or you get huge card advantage.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

lurking

Jul 2007
    watching over your shoulder...

Quote Originally Posted by Valtrix View Post
    Because in multiplayer Rystic Study is insane. If you play in a 4 player game having study to force everybody else's spells to cost 1 more or you get to draw is such a pain for all of those other players. Especially if you open with this, everybody else is either slowed down a lot or you get huge card advantage.
    I do not disagree that the effect can be great, but there is also a downside to it. Depending on how much the effect pisses them off, you draw quite some negative attention (or "aggro")...
    Multiplayer is fun, cards effects and more important the PERCEPTION of those effects have huge "diplomatic" implications. You have to reevaluate what you know about the cards. Fun :)

Quote Originally Posted by Observer View Post
    I do not disagree that the effect can be great, but there is also a downside to it. Depending on how much the effect pisses them off, you draw quite some negative attention (or "aggro")...
    Multiplayer is fun, cards effects and more important the PERCEPTION of those effects have huge "diplomatic" implications. You have to reevaluate what you know about the cards. Fun :)
    This is why EDH is bad. In 4 player games it's a bunch of politics and not real magic. Or everyone gangs up on the guy with no board presence to boost their self esteem. Although when I played EDH rhystic study was insanely good, there's a reason the nonfoil costs 1-2 bucks a pop with the foil being obscenely expensive. The card is pretty much an auto include in any fair blue EDH deck.

Okay, so that one guy top 8'ed with loyal retainers in maverick. It doesn't make it good. In fact, it's still terrible and cold to stifle as well as karakas. I don't care about retainers at all in legacy because survival isn't legal and if survival was legal I still wouldn't care as I would just win with 4 vengevines or with necrotic ooze combo.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Thread Information