Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Fave deck?

May 2011
    Somewhere around earth.

Re: Your Fave deck?

Quote Originally Posted by John Cox View Post
    I can't believe the hate belcher is getting, -it's one of my all time favourites. I also have no idea why people are saying it's inconsistent, I always found it to be more reliable than just about anything.
    It always felt like a coin-flip deck for me. Either it worked perfectly, and I just win in the first couple turns, or more often, it didn't work, and I either empty the warrens and hoped to get a win off goblin tokens, or just end up mulling to 4-5 and couldn't quite get enough mana or storm on time to take the game.

Edit: Not to say it's necessarily a bad deck, I admit I am not the best pilot for the deck, and it really doesn't suit my playstyle.
    Last edited by Jenni; 10-24-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Playing Legacy: Landstill ProsperAtog ArmageddonStax

My favorite deck is Mono Blue Stasis with (the banned Gush that I replaced by) Ancestral Vision and Frozen Aether. The reason I like this deck is that I'm happy with every Island I draw and I'm happy with playing Jace, the Mind Sculptor in a mono blue deck.

Really prison decks are cool !

And yes, my bad english makes me sound like a 6-year-old little kid.

Then comes MUC, Kadaj's list in the opening. I think that MUC is a deck that pretends to die/lose the first turns and then lock and win. Pretending to die and then winning is fun lol and your opponents often say :" I almost killed you." It is fun to hear that so many times

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

1.Lands
    2.BUG Control Style Decks
    3.Decks with Thopter/Sword Combo
    4.Canadian Thresh/Tempo Thresh
    5.Aluren

Only deck I really don't care for is Sneak/Omnishow.

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    It always felt like a coin-flip deck for me. Either it worked perfectly, and I just win in the first couple turns, or more often, it didn't work, and I either empty the warrens and hoped to get a win off goblin tokens, or just end up mulling to 4-5 and couldn't quite get enough mana or storm on time to take the game.
    I've only played it once in a tournament, I had it flop out on me when I found out 10 goblins wasn't enough goblins to beat (surprise) goblins. The other two games I lost that tournament were mostly to unfamiliarity with the deck. It was really solid though from my experience and I felt like I could take the place down if I had more experience and more luck on the coin toss.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Control decks with intuition. There's so many build paths to meta game, and I always feel like I have so much power/options in every game. (Although I lose a lot to misplays...Oh well.)
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

I'm currently playing:

UB Reanimator
    Mono-B Necrotic Ooze combo
    MUD prison control
    Team America
    Anything else I can brew by combining cards from the above decks

They're all my children and I could never pick a favorite (it's MUD control).

All forms of counterbalance and solidarity.

Hypergenesis and sneak and show, no thank you.

Apr 2009
    NEPA

My top 3:
    UGW Counterbalance (with natural order)
    RUG
    New Horizons

Hate:
    Merfolk (not skill intensive)
    Mono-blue control
    Show and Tell

Favorite is High Tide. Least favorite is probably CounterTop variants followed by Show and Tell.

My favorite decks:
    • Survival: This deck was just so fun to play. Survival probably would have had to go at some point anyway, given the power creep in creatures, but having to go because of Vengevine makes me sad. Having the V-Ball kill sucked the fun out of the deck.
    • Aggro Loam: I love me some long, grindy, attrition-based games, and Aggro Loam certainly provides. The fact that I never had the time to practice blue control enough to pilot it well but could intuitively pilot Aggro Loam helped a lot, too.
    • Astral Slide (old Extended): Not Legacy, I know, but still takes the top prize for my favorite deck of all time. It has recursion, it has grind, it has neat tricks it can do with utility creatures. If only this deck was competitive...

My least favorite decks:
    • RUG Tempo/Canadian: I can play this deck competently, but god do I hate playing it. I hate how at the mercy of your topdecks you are if the game starts to grind out, I hate how all-in some of its hands can be, I hate how often you're trying to get there with basically just one or two mid-sized guys. I know the deck is good and everything, I just don't like playing it.
    • Belcher: The coin-flippy nature of these games really irritates me. Losing to Belcher pretty much never feels good.
    • Mono-Black / Black/x Midrange Blobs: The bane of my existence. The kinds of decks I like to play always fall prey to these sorts of things and losing to a pile of random discard and bad creatures drives me up the wall.

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

I love UBr Control in Vintage, though I am also quite enamored with Bazaar Dredge. As for Legacy, my favorite decks are Enchantress, manaless Dredge, and High Tide.

I loathe Reanimator and Show&Tell decks. They are soooooo boring and one dimensional (sure, you can say that about some of the decks I like, but at least they don't just blow their load on the first few turns. I had Reanimator built for about a week, but then I decided it was too boring to actually play with, even though it won a lot of games, so I dismantled it). I am also not a fan of Canadian Thresh and CounterTop decks. Nor do I like the red zone very much (unless it's full of zombie tokens).

May 2011
    Somewhere around earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    It's interesting that no one has mentioned Dredge as a deck they hate.
    Dredge is a bit annoying, I tend to group it in with reanimator for the most part. It's an odd combo-ey deck, it can cheat something nasty into play or swarm with zombie tokens, but it's really vulnerable to a lot of hate. I've actually had players just scoop up their cards because I opened with a leyline of the void in hand.
    Playing Legacy: Landstill ProsperAtog ArmageddonStax

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

In no particular order:

Favorite decks:
    1. Extended Gro-a-tog with Vampiric Tutor and Gush
    2. EPIC Survival Elves
    3. Bant VV Survival
    4. Classic NecroSpike
    5. circa 2000 Ponza

Hatred decks:
    1. circa 2000 Accelerated Blue
    2. Supreme Blue
    3. Hive Mind
    EDIT: 4. Pox decks that still run Sinkhole and the players who think its still good right now.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Faves:
    1. Enchantress
    2. Dredge
    3. GB various rock builds

Hate to play against (but not necessarily with):
    Belcher
    Reanimator
    Lands

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Hatred decks:
    EDIT: 4. Pox decks that still run Sinkhole and the players who think its still good right now.
    How could I have forgotten Pox? I LOVE that deck, though I play an atypical Bw version with Enlightened Tutor and a variety of silver bullets (and no Sinkholes). It's not especially competitive, but it sure is fun to play.

Jund things. Someone bumped the Jund thread on the new and developmental forum. I posted what I'd want to build there. That's my jam. In the world of Jundland, we go turn 1 discard > Bob/Goyf > kill your shit and beat face. Unfortunately, funds hold me back, here's to year-end bonuses baby yeah!

I love Bant and most tempo decks ( Team America )

I hate Enchantress, Lands, basicly anything that drags the game out for 50mins.

My two favorite decks are black/white control and suicide black. I love controlling the pace of the game and building to a win. If I'm in the mood, I'll take the all-in aggro nature of a suicide black deck.

Jul 2004
    Corning, NY

Loves
    1) Hulk Smash and various Psychatog variants (Gro-A-Tog, Dredge-a-tog)
    2) Goblins
    3) Legacy MUD
    4) Turboland

Hatreds
    Nothing really, everything is fair game, okay okay maybe Flash Hulk

Nov 2010
    Seattle

10-Land Stompy, obviously. Y U NO competitive?
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

Thread Information