Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Fave deck?

Not playing Bant
    Oct 2010
    Rockwall, Texas

Re: Your Fave deck?

Favorites
    1. Reanimator- first Legacy deck ever.
    2. Merfolk- beating up on all those CB and Landstill decks back in the day was awesome.
    3. Any Bant variant- Almost effortless to play now since it has been my deck of choice for the better part of 2 years

Hate
    1. Delver decks of any kind. Seriously, a blue common that you can build a deck around? Go away.
    2. Affinity- Fracturing Gust, suck it.
    3. Enchantress- See Affinity^
    Asylum EDH: Foil or go home.

Jan 2009
    Tempe, AZ

I love me some Doomsday, TES, Armageddon Stax, Solidarity and It's The Fear. (It's possible that I'm that guy.)

I hate ANT. Why would you play it over another storm deck? Also Belcher. I'm pretty sure that anyone who thinks it's consistent hasn't played against blue.

I personally love the Manaless Ichorid deck because I think it's incredibly cool to be able to play a deck that relies that much on triggers and can still be incredibly explosive.

Other decks I enjoy are Storm Combo and some decks like Deadguy.

Overall I enjoy doing broken things and I appreciate the powerhouse cards of whatever format I'm playing in.

Mar 2009
    usa illinois

decks i love

counterbalence uw with enlightened tutor
    dreadstill Paul cheon style
    thopter balance

decks I despise
    anything with show and tell or emrakul
    uw miracles.it is so slow.
    Last edited by obituary 95; 10-25-2012 at 02:33 AM.

Mar 2011
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Viridia View Post
    Like (love :D):
    Landstill - BUG in particular
    Any other Pernicious Deed deck

Hate
    Stoneforge decks
    Same, plus love most die-hard control decks.
    Jeroen van Beeck
    DCI: 8210489125
    Mentor | Blade | LandStill

Nov 2010
    Philippines

1.GOBLINS
    2.GOBLINS
    3.GOBLINS

Site Contributor
    Jan 2010
    Ontario, Canada

FAV:
    BUG Landstill
    Uw miaricles
    Uwb stone blade

Hate:
    goblins
    Merfolk
    Show and tell variants

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010
    Isla de luzón de filipinas

Quote Originally Posted by boneclub24 View Post
    10-Land Stompy, obviously. Y U NO competitive?
    It is brother. Its just they're all drawing good cards whenever we're facing them. lols

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy Goblin View Post
    1.GOBLINS
    2.GOBLINS
    3.GOBLINS

GOBLINS - standard headed by krenko
    GOBLINS - modern headed by chieftain and king
    GOBLINS - legacy headed by lacky and pile

:P

FAV:
    berserk stumpy
    dutch stax
    burn
    TES

DISLIKE:
    counterTOP variants
    enchantress
    show and tell base decks
    TJB

http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

Sep 2011
    Philippines

Fav decks in no particular order:
    UWr Miracle/Any countertop variant
    Canthresh
    New Horizon
    UGr Faeries
    NO RUG
    Bant
    Punishing Maverick
    Goblins

Hate:
    Any combo deck
    Black-based decks

The most favorite decks:

G/W/B Goodstuff based decks (Rock, maverick, deadguy ale)
    UW control based decks (sometimes with red or black splash)

I hate:
    Burn
    any vial decks (except maybe goblins)
    RUG delver / threshold
    controls

May 2011
    Louisiana

My favorite decks are the ones that break the traditional rules of Magic: Stax, Dredge, TES, Lands.

My least favorite are Show and Tell decks & burn. Much too linear for me.

Jun 2011
    Quezon City

Favorites:
    1. MBC
    2. U/R Delver
    3. Merfolk
    4. Rug Tempo
    5. U/W Variants

Hates:
    1. Enchantress
    2. Dredge
    3. Combo Decks - Ant, Tes and Belcher
    Snap ftw!

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Favorites:
    • Any Survival variants (Full English Breakfast, Welder Survival, Angry Tradewind Survival, RGb SA, ...)
      They were clearly the most fun decks for me. Especially because you could already put so many thoughts and variants into the deckbuilding process.
    • Eternal Garden
      Because I like the weirdness of playing so many lands AND having a land toolbox, which also makes the deckbuilding process more fun.
    • Goblin Welder decks
      Fun to repeatitively reanimate robots.
    • Madness
      Because of the synergies and challenge to balance discard outlets with madness cards. I guess Zombardment is similar.
    • UGW Blink (EDH)
      Because of the synergies and card advantage it generates throught creatures entering the battlefield.

I generally think toolbox decks with a lot of options and lines of play and decks with lots of synergies offer the most long-term fun.
    I guess Reanimator could be fun as well, because of its odd game plan and Death and Taxes too, because of it's tricks and weenie nature. But I've never played it.

Fails:
    • Dredge has synergies, but nonetheless really boring. Rightly called the "anti-magic" deck.
    • Belcher
      Mulligan. Mulligan. FoW? no? Ok, I win. yes? Ok. next game.
    • Affinity
      My build ended up winning with Cranial Plating most of the games, which became boring very fast.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I tend to like decks that have something to do every turn, interact with the opponent, and are consistent. Some of my favorites over the years have been Deadguy (especially vial lists), Aggro Loam, and Zoo. Maverick satisfies all the criteria, but I rarely play it because it's the Toyota Camry of decks.

I like playing combo sometimes because it's so powerful, but I can't seem to stick with it very long because I just lose to variance too often. There's nothing I hate worse than going through a half dozen draw spells looking for one of 6+ cards and coming up empty. That's probably just me being crappy though.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Great replies here everyone.
    I'm noticing a bit of a trend in a lot of the replies too.
    A lot of you are naming your fave few decks, and the ones you don't like seem to be the ones your favourite decks don't do so well against.
    The hated seem to be mostly the very linear "this deck has one trick to win" kinda decks, I feel pretty similarly here concerning decks like Reanimator, Show n Tell Variants & Hypergenesis, as they play out literally the same way game after game, and I don't find very fun to play with or against.

Decks that punish you for not playing blue, like Storm, can suck my balls, just not fun to play against.
    Even if you are playing blue - you Force. Wow, that was showing my skills!!!

I'm surprised some of you said you don't like POX?
    I like playing against Pox, as it's always a challenge to see how your deck, and strategy, stands up against so much hate.
    That said, I don't think I could play it, it's a very expensive deck for something so slow and punishing when you misplay.

Decks I like;
    Manaless Dredge - my fave right now - been playing it quite a bit, and despite what some people may say, if your build is good, you'll have more answers than they have hate.
    Goblins - building this deck for a friend, and it's gonna be hard to hand it over when I've got the numbers/slots finalised! Such a fun deck for multiplayer too!
    Maverick - good ole Mav, easy to pilot and has maindeck answers for most matchups. It's a classic for a reason I guess!
    Pact SI - very nerve wracking/skill intensive deck to play, not too hard to kill yourself too. I like playing it, but understand when opponents groan ".....not storm..."

Quote Originally Posted by kingsey View Post
    I hate ...... basicly anything that drags the game out for 50mins.
    LOL, yeah I'm pretty similar. Quick games' a good game.

To be honest, there only a couple decks I really despise playing against with a passion, and they're the ones that totally lock the game up for the next 30 minutes with NOTHING HAPPENING!!!!
    I can't attack you, I can't deal damage to you, I can't play my combo pieces, I can't activate my artifacts etc etc.
    I admire those decks - but I hate playing against them in every way!!! Especially when their only path to win is so slow to eventaute.

My favorite deck I ever played was the Burning Wish loam builds from a few years ago that cast Devastating Dreams. Casting that card and winning was always fun. Goblins is a fun deck, and I like playing dredge a lot too.
    For non-legacy, I've always loved playing Teachings (when it was in standard and now that it's in modern).
    The only decks I consistently dislike playing against are Sneak and Show and Belcher, although I really don't mind playing against anything once per tournament. Really, what I like least is playing the same deck round after round. The last big legacy tournament I played in I played 3 goblin mirrors, which really made me hate the little green men.

Nov 2010
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by paeng4983 View Post
    It is brother. Its just they're all drawing good cards whenever we're facing them. lols

GOBLINS - standard headed by krenko
    GOBLINS - modern headed by chieftain and king
    GOBLINS - legacy headed by lacky and pile

:P

FAV:
    berserk stumpy
    dutch stax
    burn
    TES

DISLIKE:
    counterTOP variants
    enchantress
    show and tell base decks
    PAENG = King of killer Rogue decks

Jun 2011
    Russia, SPb

My sweet decks are:
    Cephalid Breakfast - it was my first legacy deck, which seemed to me godlike at that time.
    Sea Stompy - because it is so oldschool and still able to punish those who rely on 1cc cards too much. Also I love to be challenged when it is about keeping or taking a mull. With Sea Stompy it's always challenging =)
    U/R painted stone - this is a quintessence of synergy, though it went to oblivion after mental misstep was banned. I still love playing it in kitchen.
    Also I love to play lands.dec, but I hate to play against it =) Because it's so powerfull and takes a lot of skill to play for and against, I admire those, who play it.

Interesting though, if you ask me, how often do I play those decks, I will answer rarely. They are too metagame dependent, so it is all about a special enlightenment or magnetic storm which make me pick them up. And in a usual day you would find me playing maverick, or reanimator, or some BUG control.

Those I always hate to play against:
    Elves! - for a billion of years it was always around 1 thing: green manadorks + glimpse of nature. If I'm playing any creature deck, than I'm always fucked up, unless I'm prepared. But usually I am not, because it shows up once in 2 months. And their comboing-off is so boring to watch.
    Enchantress and Belcher - these are better than Elves, but I also hate them. The decks that rely only on you being unprepared.
    Sensei's Diving Top decks piloted by weak players. You know why.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I love this thread!

Favorite decks:
    1. Reset High Tide
    2. Dredge-a-tog
    3. Survival before vengevines when nobody played it

Decks I just don't get:
    1. Burn
    2. Midrange Board Control

Hated Decks
    1. Goblins
    2. Madness...fuck wild mongrel
    3. Mono White Control
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

May 2011
    Somewhere around earth.

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    3. Survival before vengevines when nobody played it
    Wasn't the Tradewind Rider + Survival of the fittest deck one of the best decks in legacy well before vengevines were a thing? I wouldn't say nobody played it...
    Playing Legacy: Landstill ProsperAtog ArmageddonStax

Thread Information