Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about my first tournament

May 2011
    Somewhere around earth.

Re: Questions about my first tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    If you play any chicks, make sure to make inappropriate sexual comments. If they get uncomfortable, you get an edge in your match. If they don't, you might be getting lucky that night!
    Please, we get that crap enough to be immune to it. If she DOES act flustered or uncomfortable, but doesn't call a judge, then she's probably fucking with you to make you think she's worse than she is... I've gotten a few wins doing that. :P

Anyway, just try to focus on the game, and have fun. You probably won't win, some of your opponents have probably been playing legacy since it was still type 1.5, so your first foray into competitive legacy should be considered a learning experience. Get a feel for the metagame, try to predict what your opponent has based on what you know of their deck and how they play, and pay very close attention to how YOU play - Spotting your own mistakes can be hard, but you will make mistakes, and to learn form them you need to acknowledge them! You can even talk about the match with your opponent once it's over, I've learned a lot by talking to opponents who just trounced me about the match.

And like others have said, call judges if you have a question, if something seems wrong, etc.

Before the event, look at recent results, look at the top decks, and learn how to sideboard against them, and what the common cards they have are. Learn what cards people bring in against your deck if you can, and how to deal with them.

Probably the most important thing though, is just know your deck - know every card, what it does, and why it's in the deck. Learn the synergies, learn what is a keep-able hand, practice with it, draw sample hands, read the thread/forum posts/etc. here and on other sites (unless it's a rogue deck... which I don't think Death and Taxes counts as.)
    Playing Legacy: Landstill ProsperAtog ArmageddonStax

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post

Probably the most important thing though, is just know your deck - know every card, what it does, and why it's in the deck. Learn the synergies, learn what is a keep-able hand, practice with it, draw sample hands, read the thread/forum posts/etc. here and on other sites (unless it's a rogue deck... which I don't think Death and Taxes counts as.)
    It's not rogue, but it is off the radar enough that Im sure a lot of people dont test for it, and probably have only played against it once or twice. Not exactly rogue but you still may have a small advantage in the fact that they will not be prepared.

My friend played BW DnT at GP Atlanta and was one mis play shy of making day 2 so it is definitely a good deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Hey guys! Thanks for the advice! If anyone wants to help me practice my username on cockatrice is monovfox. I really want to test against alot of decks so I can understand Death and Taxes as much as possible.

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Hey everyone! Tournament report! I actually did well :D !

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...key-Day-Legacy

Thread Information