Thread: Finals Split @ World's Collide with Belcher!

May 2011
    Ontario, Canada

Finals Split @ World's Collide with Belcher!

I catch the 00:15 bus on Friday morning back to my hometown, and get a message from a friend asking if I wanted to play Legacy in Oshawa this Saturday. I had no deck, and hadn't even played a competitive Magic tournament since early August. He has a gauntlet built, and I decide on playing Belcher. I was mainly tagging along as a joke, and didn't expect much out of the deck. Just for the record, I've had a decent amount of success LOCALLY in the past. I asked some friends what the Oshawa metagame would be like, and heard nothing but Canadian Threshold, Miracles and blue decks. I was already in the 'fuck it' mindset, and if I won, I won, and if not, I wouldn't drop. I would just have a good time playing Magic.

Typical Burning Wish Belcher List.dec

21 Player turnout, some regulars who I knew what they were playing. Since there was a lot of local GPTs for GP Toronto and some players in Chicago, the usual 30-40 player turnout that I had expected wasn't there.

Round 1 - Death and Taxes/Starlit Life Combo?

G1: I fan open my 7, and see a turn 1 Belcher kill. He opens on Plains, Mother of Runes, and I get him before he can uptap.

G2: I expected Leyline of Sanctity, along with some sort of potential Thalia play on Turn 2, so I had to keep a decent hand. Luckily, my opener was: Land Grant, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Lion's Eye Diamond, Chrome Mox, Burning Wish, Simian Spirit Guide. Before the game started, he dropped DOUBLE Leyline of Sanctity (Hull Breach is no longer an open in the event that he plays something weird to stop me from attacking (Ghostly Prison), or gains a lot of life, so I had to make sure I had enough mana for Reverent Silence.) I drew Seething Song, and he couldn't get survive 14 1/1s.

Round 2 - Harant with Lands

G1: Going into this game, I made a friendly remark about the last time I played him he was on Lands. Harant is an excellent lands player, and his decks are always a sight worth seeing. Game 1, I keep a hand with two Manamorphose, on the draw as well as a Gitaxian Probe. Sure enough, I draw garbage and actually lose game 1 to lands. He beat me with Worm Harvest, so luckily he didn't have Creeping Tar Pit. Round 1, he beat another Storm player as well with Lands.

G2: I get the Empty the Warrens for 12 tokens, and he doesn't find Tabernacle/Ensnaring Bridge/Glacial Chasm/etc. to stop my plans.

G3: He plays Chalice for 1, Chalice for 0, and I have a Chrome Mox imprinting some sort of red card and a Belcher in play. I draw live twice (Simian Spirit Guide and Desperate Ritual), and activate Belcher for lethal.

Round 3 - Ina with Affinity

G1: Quick Empty the Warrens for 12 tokens gets there.

G2: Quick Belcher activation gets there. She tells me she had Cannonist, but had to take some mulligans.

Round 4 - ID w/ Canadian Threshold

Round 5 - ID w/ Parfait

Top 8 - Wilkin (Wilkin on TheSource) with BW Pikula (DGA)

G1: He mulligans to 5. My hand isn't anything too special, but since he mulled to 5 I thought it was somewhat acceptable. I remember having two Lion's Eye Diamonds, a Goblin Charbelcher, but not enough mana to cast the Belcher turn 1. I play my LED, and Wilkin opens on Chrome Mox imprinting Cabal Therapy to cast Cabal Therapy. He names Goblin Charbelcher, and I bin it. Of course I draw the Burning Wish, make a TON of goblins, and we're off to game 2.

G2: The same story, he takes a mulligan (I believe, correct me?), but I get the 12-16 Goblin tokens on turn 1.

Top 4 - Raymond with WR Land Tax (Parfait)

G1: He claims Belcher is a bad matchup, which it likely is because he has 20+ dead cards against me. He opens on a turn 1 Pithing Needle on Belcher, which I make a LOT of tokens and beat him down. He doesn't find the Terminus.

G2: The same story, he names Goblin Charbelcher, and I Empty the Warrens after taking an embarrassingly long time to count to 6 mana.

Finals - Split w/ Canadian Threshold AKA Nightmare matchup (4 Stifle, 3 Spell Pierce, 4 Daze, 4 Force of Will, a quick clock)

Final Word: Not facing a SINGLE blue deck all day was baller.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: Finals Split @ World's Collide with Belcher!

Damn, I was gonna go but I had work Saturday. I guess I wouldn't be the only Parfait dude if I did show up there.

Congratulations on the win.

Do the Parfait players post here on the Source?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

May 2011
    Ontario, Canada

It's Raymond M, you might have him on Facebook, I have no clue if he has an account here.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

You sack. When I showed up to Worlds Collide with Belcher it was nothing but Chalices and Nullrods or Force of Wills and Counterbalances all day.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Thread Information