View Poll Results: Which was the bigger mistake?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tarmogoyf

10 4.95%
  • Mental Misstep

68 33.66%
  • Emrakul

34 16.83%
  • Jace the Mind Sculptor

19 9.41%
  • Delver of Secrets

71 35.15%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: which was the bigger mistake?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

which was the bigger mistake?

Delver imo

May 2011
    Louisiana

Re: which was the bigger mistake?

Only one of these cards were ever banned in Legacy.

Easy choice.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

WOTC knows how good free spells are. I want to say amrakul because the eldrazi are super unfun to play against, but unfun doesnt make a mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jace, TMS. (I'm going to ignore Mental Misstep - it was banned so it's on a whole other level of mistakes by Wizards, not comparable to the others) Delver, Goyf and Emrakul are just power creep. If it wasn't these creatures, it'd surely be something else. Besides, at the end of they day, they're just creatures, and creatures can easily be dealt with. J-Pops is a major pain to deal with and has forever answered the question, "What should my win-con be for my blue control deck?" With Emrakul, if decks weren't dropping that, they'd be dropping some other huge monster (Iona, Inkwell, Griselbrand, etc.) that maybe wouldn't kill you 100% of the time, but 95% of the time they would. Goyf? Well, pre-Goyf, people complained that green didn't have the best creatures. Now green does. Delver? Kind of a pain, but at least it doesn't lock you out like Jace's +1 will.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Even though misstep was banned i still put it on here because i know many people in my community that dont agree with that decision.

I chose delver because that card should never have been a blue creature. It gave blue one of the best aggro creatures in all formats.

If anything it should have been a green creature for g 1/1 that flips to 3/2 trample for revealing a green creature card. Or something like that. It would have even been mpre appropriate as a black creature.

This was officially answered for us via banning.
    Hill Giant means business.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Misstep is the clear choice, because it was a relevant (Basically) free counterspell that you could (and probably should) play in any deck. That's just poor design. After that Delver is the next most broken card--Blue should not get something that aggressive.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Misstep. Not even close. It essentially made the format a 56 card format (unless you were playing Chalice of the Void and/or Trinisphere). It suppressed a massive amount of cards; it made mulliganing miserable as you wanted your one drop and a misstep to protect the misstepped misstep. Derp derp derp.

Delver is a close second. Snapcaster is up there as well. Had delver at least been a B creature that flipped into blue; and SCM been RR they'd be fine. THey just had no business being blue.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Mental Misstep has been answered, and corrected in Legacy. While it's the strongest/most egregious abuse of free mana, it's no longer Legacy relevant.

Hence, I picked Delver of Secret. This card alone has done more to polarize Legacy into "hurp derp play blue or lose" mentality. I would not shed a tear to see Delver as a strategy die in napalm.

Patiently waiting for a 2/2 Goblin Human that deals 2 damage to blue creatures when it EtB. It would be a fair card.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Delver is a card I really want to see gone, although I dont really care much about legacy anymore, mainly because Delver has destroyed the format for me.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I don't mind Delvers myself. It's still a creature and susceptible to all the usual ways to remove it (Repeal X=0 is particularly hilarious to me).

Terminus is more annoying to me these days just because I think Wrath that effectively exiles your dudes for W is pretty busted.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

I see in another way: it was Tarmogoyf being printed at the last moment with 1G in the cost instead of 2G to have been the first mistake, basically forcing from that moment card design to keep it up with its level- resulting into the first, evident starting point of modern-blocks power creep.
    Don't you remember how scandalously overpowered it was in comparison to everything else at the time?
    It took a real chunk of time to slowly spit out cards that could blur its brokenness, until today where other following bombs have really pushed it down-at least, in Legacy. If the Tarmogoyf mistake wasn't done, perhaps nowadays we wouldn't even be having Snapcaster Mage, nor Delver, nor Jace, and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    I see in another way: it was Tarmogoyf being printed at the last moment with 1G in the cost instead of 2G to have been the first mistake, basically forcing from that moment card design to keep it up with its level- resulting into the first, evident starting point of modern-blocks power creep.
    Don't you remember how scandalously overpowered it was in comparison to everything else at the time?
    It took a real chunk of time to slowly spit out cards that could blur its brokenness, until today where other following bombs have really pushed it down-at least, in Legacy. If the Tarmogoyf mistake wasn't done, perhaps nowadays we wouldn't even be having Snapcaster Mage, nor Delver, nor Jace, and so on.
    With this mantality tarmogoyf wasent the issue. I believe it started with urzas saga and the many ridic cards in that set.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Jace. This card is poorly balanced. The brainstorm effect should have been -1, the fateseal maybe +1, and the ultimate either removed entirely or have an increased cost. Alternatively, keep it the same but increase the casting cost to 5 or 6. The other cards on this list are mistakes, but don't function as Swiss army knives for the most annoying deck archetype to play against.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Mental Misstep has been answered, and corrected in Legacy. While it's the strongest/most egregious abuse of free mana, it's no longer Legacy relevant.

Hence, I picked Delver of Secret. This card alone has done more to polarize Legacy into "hurp derp play blue or lose" mentality. I would not shed a tear to see Delver as a strategy die in napalm.

Patiently waiting for a 2/2 Goblin Human that deals 2 damage to blue creatures when it EtB. It would be a fair card.
    When I win the Invitational I will produce this man:

Priest of Mephistopheles
    BB

2/1 - Human Wizard

Flash

Chains Text

... i mean blue gets flash creatures normally reserved for red ... give black one ...

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Can't find the Show and Tell on that pool. There might be something wrong.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Surprisingly, I answered Emrakul - for flavor reasons. I really enjoyed the times when something like Verdant Force was the Best Fattie Ever Printed. And by "Verdant Force" I mean "something super flavorful". Elesh Norn is cool. Any kind of giant Angel or Dragon will do. Flying Spaghetti Monsters on the other hand...I don't know. I realize that people were already cheating other things into play before we had Emrakul, but the Eldrazi just went so much over the top, why even bother. I'm still not worried about power-level in general, as he's still "ok" to handle because of the omnipresence of Karakas. What angers me is how they made him a pretty "dumb", non-flavorful card.

But to be honest guys, the real answer is Sensei's Divining Top.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    But to be honest guys, the real answer is Sensei's Divining Top.
    I'm going to have to agree with Julian23 here. Playing against Sensei's Divining Top is the least amount of fun you can have in magic.

Mar 2009
    usa illinois

I answered emrakul. I answered it because wizards continuously says they want a game that is interactive. they then make cards like emrakul,cavern of souls ,omniscience etc. these cards are not interactive at all, all they say is hey opponent you are probably dead

exception is with cavern since you still have a chance of winning if cavern is out.

the reason that i did not pick mental misstep is because i am not sure the format would be any different if the card was unbanned today. most of the decks that people where discussing still have not come back. the format is still about the same.

Nov 2011
    Denver, CO

With the exception of Misstep, this thread and most similar threads devolve into: (Insert card that beats my pet deck(s) here)

Thread Information