Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] U/G Enchantress

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Re: [Deck] U/G Enchantress

I am also currently back on 3 Candles and that feels better than 2 I have to admit. I did not buy them in paper yet and 1-2 days ago one of the ones on Mkm I was following indeed disappeared, damn you

I am now also considering a SB Jace for those controlmatchups to improve our lategame flooding + it also bounces Leo as a +. Got the idea from the old deck http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=3566&d=221536&f=LE

Dec 2009
    hessen, germany

Quote Originally Posted by Fjaulnir View Post
    I am also currently back on 3 Candles and that feels better than 2 I have to admit. I did not buy them in paper yet and 1-2 days ago one of the ones on Mkm I was following indeed disappeared, damn you

I am now also considering a SB Jace for those controlmatchups to improve our lategame flooding + it also bounces Leo as a +. Got the idea from the old deck http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=3566&d=221536&f=LE

Jace could be a flexible answer to a lot of problems, good point! I will try this.
    Words of Wind on Jace...hmmm :-D

How is the interaction between Leovold and Words of Wind when you are replacing your extra draws from Enchantress? Is this like Sylvan Library and Words of Wind? Does this work because you just replace the draw?

Aug 2016
    Flanders

You can indeed replace every draw in your turn including draw step with WoW and should be able to use its effect every time. If you've already drawn normally for the turn though, it won't work:
    From Leovold's rulings:
    8/23/2016: Replacement effects can’t be used to replace draws that Leovold disallows

But if never any has been drawn yet (due to upkeep WoW), you can keep using it for the next ones as well. And if you choose to replace the first 9 in a turn and want to draw off the 10th trigger you can draw that card. Any 11th trigger will stop working then even with Wow

I'm also testing a 1-off Sylvan main right now and so far it's been good. Mostly to fix some of these horrible draws the deck has, but at least once I was able to just bounce everything with it.
    I have some more footage of that but need to edit out something private first before I can upload it.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

I played some more with the deck, and have compiled data from all League matches I played so far (80 matches). I'll maybe post a matchup breakdown once I reach 100, but in terms of just win%:

I currently have won 44/80 and lost 36/80, so that's a 55% winrate overall despite not playing perfectly and punting a bunch. Yesterday and today I made 4-1 both days (along with one 2-3 which is the only one I recorded on camera) so it's a pity that 5-0 remains so elusive
    Today I even faced 4 Leovold decks in those 5 rounds where I went 4-1, only lost to one.

In games I am 101/191, which is 53% so similar.

(not all of these had exactly the same 75)

Some more developmental remarks:
    I went back from 21 lands to 20, that seems to work fine. Cut the 4th Sanctum though as 20 lands with both 4 Sanctum and Karakas lead to too many mulligans. And Karakas has been just stellar in beating Leovold, and occasionally hitting Marit Lages, Thalia's or reanimated creatures.
    Jace in the sideboard has been good too in 4C and New Miracles matchups. Am currently considering a 2nd in the SB, but then a 2nd Tropical is almost a must.

The 75 I'm currently on:
    * means I'm still uncertain about this card

20 Lands: (21 is possible)
    7 Green fetchlands
    2 Tropical Island
    3 Serra's Sanctum
    1 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Karakas
    5 Forest

4 Abundant Growth
    1 Cast Out
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    1 Ground Seal*
    3 Words of Wind
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    3 Candelabra of Tawnos

3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 Doomwake Giant
    4 Argothian Enchantress

Sideboard:
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor*
    1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Back to Basics*
    1 Reclamation Sage*
    1 Aura of Silence*
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Leyline of the Void*
    1 In the Eye of Chaos*
    1 Helm of Obedience

I added the Ground Seal as a random value cantrip vs some decks, because I still had a flex slot after cutting the 21st land. And it does also combo with Words of Wind, in case you don't draw either an Enchantress or an Abundant Growth.
    Haven't tested this enough yet though.

The sideboard uncertainties are currently:
    1-2 Jace? Definitely want at least 1 copy.
    0-1 Back to Basics? Sweet card, but also stops our own mana development, and f.ex. against Czech Pile I want to sideboard out my Candelabras (K Command!) so I can't even untap my Sanctums with Candle anymore anyway.
    0-1 Aura of Silence? Seems sweet in theory, but hasn't been awesome yet. Have only played vs DnT 4 times though, in paper I'll face them more often.
    Seal of Primordium is easier to cast if you need to race Eldrazi too, but doesn't tax following arti/enchs.
    0-1 Rec Sage. Great on paper, but never had to Green Sun's Zenith for it in 80 matches yet.
    0-2 Leyline of the Void. I could see just running 3 RIP, or replacing some of them with Leylines depending on metagame.
    0-2 In the Eye of Chaos. Seems great on paper too, but only did something for me once I think.

some of these I could see replacing with:
    1 Humility: good against Sneaky Show and Elves, with some potential vs Leovold decks?
    1 Engineered Plague: good against Elves, okay against DnT
    1 Seal of Primordium: see above
    1 Replenish: against Miracles/Czech Pile etc. In case they counter your O Ring for their Leovold, or just counter/destroy a bunch of stuff. Could be good in other grindy matchups too.
    1 Gaddock Teeg: I cut it for now because I prefer Jace vs Miracles; and cuz Storm is too bad to beat anyway. Only missing it against Elves (Stops both Zenith and NO as ways to tutor for Rec Sage/kill with Hoof) and Eldrazi potentially (to not get blown out by All is Dust)
    1 Sigarda, host of herons: Seems unbeatable for Czech Pile and Eldrazi late game. Just thinking about more GSZ targets that deal with Leovold Decks, where getting Argothian late game often does nothing when you're already behind. We really need a green ETB destroy a creature creature

Sigarda is possibly not that hard for CPile to deal with because Baleful Strix can easily block it. You could always try something weird like Thrun or Spiritmonger.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

But Thrun doesn't have the upside of making you immune to All is Dust :-) I did consider the Strix point, but considered her equally as an infinite blocker in case it's necessary, until you find the removal for Leo. Altho Thrun being cheaper and uncounterable also helps. But the no sacrifice-ability has definitely mattered against Eldrazy, Nic Fit, Liliana decks etc, when I tested her in classic Helm Rip enchantress.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjaulnir View Post
    But Thrun doesn't have the upside of making you immune to All is Dust :-) I did consider the Strix point, but considered her equally as an infinite blocker in case it's necessary, until you find the removal for Leo. Altho Thrun being cheaper and uncounterable also helps. But the no sacrifice-ability has definitely mattered against Eldrazy, Nic Fit, Liliana decks etc, when I tested her in classic Helm Rip enchantress.
    Good point, I wasn't really considering the no-sac ability.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

I just 5-0ed with the deck, I'm overly excited!!! I just hope it gets published now...

i finished in style, leaving my opponent BOTH with 0 cards in library, 0 permanents and at exactly 0 life (well, he scooped, but theoretically...)

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AneX85QRCIHahWMY_-1MtLX2gCQO

Dec 2009
    hessen, germany

Congrats to the amazing result!

I missed the last paper tournament because I sold one card to early before the foil upgrade arrived...but now the whole beauty is there and I will compete in some paper events over the next weeks.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Me as well, taking the same decklist to a national Legacy champs trial this sunday, so it'll be my first time playing it in paper. I'm a bit stressed about that, as keeping track of floating mana and Serra's Sanctum-count etc is a lot easier on MTGO
    so I may waste too much time counting stuff and thinking, or my opponents not knowing the deck may play too slow also causing draws I could have avoided with the MTGO chess clock, where I have never timed out yet with this deck.

Dec 2009
    hessen, germany

oh great so you get the candles?

whats your newest list? ground seal main and 2 jaces sb?

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Maindeck the same as before, SB with a few changes.

My current philosophy I'm trying out: trying to dominate a few matchups more by sacrificing some others (overloading on hate for a few matchups more than spreading my 15 sb slots equally over the whole field), as it's better to finish 50% of your tournaments 5-0 or 4-1 and the other 50% 0-5, than to always finish 3-2 and never top 8 anything ;) it's more matchup/pairings dependent this way, but also has a higher chance of spiking any tournament.

So I want to be able to hit Elves/DnT because I expect that a lot more in paper, so I added E Plague again. And am still on the 2 Jace plan to be all-in prepared for the 4C/Miracles matchups.
    Hence also the Helm-Rip transformational board: if I deem any matchup too hard to win, I can side that in and just hope to luck it (that's easier with Helm than with Words of Wind), that's how I won my only Storm matchup with this deck ever also the reason I sided it in against Blood Moon: it's a very weird matchup so having an alternative wincon that's not weak to Chalice/Trinisphere etc seemed useful eventhough this matchup *can* be winnable with the maindeck win. Like in game 1 where I just abundant growthed my fetchlands to use them under a Blood Moon ftw

I'm not yet sure how good maindeck Ground Seal is, it didn't specifically impress me yet (although it did slow down Bant Deathblade's DRS this league), but it didn't disappoint me yet either. Seems good against decks trying to Loam-Ghost Quarter you out of the game too, though. (didn't run into lands with this deck yet tho)

Ran this today:

7 Green fetchlands
    2 Tropical Island
    3 Serra's Sanctum
    1 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Karakas
    5 Forest

4 Abundant Growth
    1 Cast Out
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    1 Ground Seal
    3 Words of Wind
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    3 Candelabra of Tawnos

3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 Doomwake Giant
    4 Argothian Enchantress

Sideboard:
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Aura of Silence
    3 Rest in Peace
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Helm of Obedience

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Just finished 2 leagues today, 0-5 and 2-3, so now I have my "100 matches" data and due to really screwing up the last game 7 miscounting my available mana by 1 (so casting 1 Abundant Growth too many where I didnt really need to, leaving me 1 mana short*) I now ended 54-46 in total matches instead of the more aesthetical and satisfying 55-45.

Matchups against which I played at least 4% of my matches:

Storm 9%: 11,1% matchwins (1-8)
    Czech Pile 8%: 62,5% matchwins (5-3)
    Grixis Delver 7%: 71,4% matchwins (5-2)
    Miracles 7%: 57,1% matchwins (4-3)
    Elves 6%: 50% matchwins (3-3)
    Death and Taxes 5%: 80% matchwins (4-1)
    Eldrazi variants 5%: 40% matchwins (2-3)
    Reanimator variants 4%: 50% matchwins (2-2)
    Dredge 4%: 100% matchwins (4-0)

Those account for 55% of my played games.

*It was against the Dragon Stompy variant running Sarkhan as well - I had 6 mana available and was facing Glorybringer and Magus, while at 9 life. Sylvan Library gave me Abundant, Teeg and Cast Out. I knew I had to Cast Out the Glorybringer, and play Gaddock Teeg to avoid dying to him playing a Chandra, Sarkhan, Fiery Confluence or what not.
    I had only 1 mana available, so paid 4 life to keep both Cast Out and Abundant, expecting to cast Abundant and cantripping into the Teeg to cast both Teeg and Cast Out with the white mana off Abundants.

However, Abundant doesn't replace itself mana-wise, so I should have cast the Utopia Sprawl in my hand and put it on white instead. Opponent went on to cast Sarkhan and attack for 6; that could very easily have been avoided with the Teeg.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Mtgo still hasn't published my 5-0 so I guess it'll never happen anymore / their new policy is actually stifling format innovation this way

Anyway, took it to my first paper tournament (45 players) and went 6-1-1 overall for a shared 1st place.

R1 manaless dredge 2-1
    R2 grixis delver 2-1
    R3 aluren 1-2 damn you Leovold
    R4 red-splashed death-n-taxes 2-0
    R5 turbo depths 2-1
    R6: ID

Make 5th seed with 4-1-1

QF vs uwr stoneblade 2-1
    SF vs infect 2-0

Split the finals vs grixis control. Basically czech pile without Green for Leovold so I should be favored, but a- it's a long way home and I need to be in class tomorrow 8:30. And b- I already have 2 byes more or less locked up for the main event in december, so all I'd win by playing is getting my deck published as nr 1 instead of nr 2. I decide a good night's sleep is worth more, + the other finalist is from my local playgroup so this way he gets a bye for the main event as well.

Edit: last-minute readdition of Humility was definitely the MVP - I could not have beat either Turbo depths nor Infect without it. Didn't get to cast my 2 Jaces, apart from that my whole sideboard saw play.

Full decklist will be on Mtgo but its basically the above maindeck + sideboard as 4 white leyline 2 black leyline 2 rip 1 helm 2 jace 1 teeg 1 rec sage 1 seeds if innocence 1 humility
    Last edited by Fjaulnir; 10-16-2017 at 01:53 AM.

Dec 2009
    hessen, germany

Making 6th place in a small 4-round paper tournament yesterday.
    This was good enough for a Gideon.

Went 2-1-1.

1st round I played against a friend of mine who usually plays Sneak and Show. So the Cast Out and Emrakul on my starting seven seems quite good. He mulls to 6 and had the god draw. Turn 3 Show and Tell into Sneak Attack with Lotus Petal / Emrakul. I cheated my Emrakul into play with Show and Tell, try to Cast Out his Ermakul, his last second cards Force + blue card, so Cast Out was countered. He attacked, but I had already 7 permanents thanks to Candelabra, so my Emrakul survived and ride for the win.
    Game 2 was quite funny, I boarded Humilitys, Oblivion Ring´ed 2 of his Sneak Attacks (without monster in hand luckily), and then my three 1/1 Enchantresses and the Gaddock Teeg rides for 20 damage…

1:0, 2-0

2nd round was a true nightmare….burn…game 1 I am dead on turn 5 before doing something relevant. Game 2 I had Leylines of Sanctity, but he had turn 2 and turn 3 Eidolon, so I am at 6 live because of casting spells. Flame Rift sealed the deal.

1:1, 2-2

Third round Czech Pile. I mulled to 5 and had the great hand of 3 lands, 2 Words of Wind…maybe I should mulligan more consequent, but did not want to go to 4. Scry away Emrakul. First draw the 3rd Words of Wind…Very long game, with Jace (Banishing Light) and Leovold (Karakas saved my day) and I could finally win this with the great starting hand…
    Game 2 mull to 5 again, he started with 2nd turn Liliana of the Veil, 3rd turn Leovold, I had to sacrifice everything (only 2 Forest and a wild growth) to save my Karakas, but lost this quickly due to Snapcaster beatdown.
    So we had one minute left for the 3rd game, so it is a draw.

11, 3:3

Last round again against a friend of mine with UB Tezzeret. Here the Chalice are the worst cards for me. But his decks seemed tired and he did not enough relevant to stop me (no Chalices). Second game he prevented my Enchantress with Engineered Plague, this was the only interesting play.

21, 5:3

Deck felt very strong the whole day, will keep on playing this. Burn is a not-often-seen opponent, what a luck.

Maindeck was 20 Lands (1 Karakas), usual stuff, 1 Banishing Light, 1 Oblivion Ring, 2 Cast Out (more outs to Leovold and Chalice, they are much played in my meta) cutted the Back to Basics for this, 3 Candelabras.
    No Jace (dislike the need of 2 blue mana), Sylvan Library or Ground Seal.

SB was 4 Leyline of Sanctity, 2 Seal of Primordium (Blood Moon, Chalice, Eidolon) and the usual suspects. Not sure if I want the Solitary Confinement back against burn and storm, but actually I do not think so and stay with 2 In the Eye of Chaos

Aug 2016
    Flanders

That sounds pretty good

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Has anyone spent time testing Search as it is all the rage right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I don’t think it makes the cut. Waiting for a turn for it to do anything is rough in this deck. Sidenote- I top 8’d a 50 person even this weekend with 1 living wish, 1 petal main and got to jam doomswake giant a handful of times and he was insane.

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    It's much harder to flip in this deck because all the spells are permanents or GSZ, but it is a 2-mana Enchantment to trigger the Enchantress effects, and it also has a powerful interaction with Candelabra if you happen to be extremely flooded.

As a 'two mana enchantment that draws cards', I'm not sure that it's better than Sylvan Library.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by dredge90 View Post
    I don’t think it makes the cut. Waiting for a turn for it to do anything is rough in this deck. Sidenote- I top 8’d a 50 person even this weekend with 1 living wish, 1 petal main and got to jam doomswake giant a handful of times and he was insane.
    Cool!! What tourney was that, and will those results be posted anywhere?

Thread Information